Notices

First Round Bust: Top 20 Wild Prospects

Old
09-16-2012, 08:46 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
And you're acting like defensemen are as easy to develop as forward prospects. One of the reasons why Minnesota ran into the issue this year with their defense is because Cuma didn't develop as quickly as they had hoped, Scandella had his ups and downs, and we had injuries.

Stoner and Spurgeron I wouldn't pencil in as top 4 defensemen. Nor Kampfer. Brodin will still need to develop. And we still don't have a lot in the cupboard in terms of guys we can call up.

Cuma has been for all intents and purposes a bust. Medvec, Prosser and Lorenz aren't top 4 material.

We could use another short-term defenseman that we can develop in the AHL for a while along with Dumba simply because we have no quality outside of Dumba and Brodin.

Bussi is a project like any of our players. I would have liked to use that project on a defenseman, so at least have some balance and depth there. We've been drafting a ton of forwards (And for good reason) but defense can be a bit scary outside of Suter and Gilbert.
There was no Dman that we could have drafted in the 2012 second round that would have developed into a top-4 Dman faster than Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Stoner, Dumba, and even Kampfer, Prosser, and Falk.

Obviously they could all bust, but you don't protect yourself from that by drafting another Dman instead of Bussi.

You protect yourself from that by signing a UFA Dman once the busts become clear and then you might feel pressure to draft more blueliners.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:07 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
There was no Dman that we could have drafted in the 2012 second round that would have developed into a top-4 Dman faster than Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Stoner, Dumba, and even Kampfer, Prosser, and Falk.

Obviously they could all bust, but you don't protect yourself from that by drafting another Dman instead of Bussi.

You protect yourself from that by signing a UFA Dman once the busts become clear and then you might feel pressure to draft more blueliners.
there is no way to know this at all, also what most people are saying is we lacked major D prospects outside Brodin and Dumba and that they would have liked it if Wild selected a dman over a project winger

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The biggest thing is that while there were tons of defensemen in the first round of the draft, by the time we were picking in the second there wasn't much there. Defensemen available who were ultimately deemed second round picks were:

Dillon Fournier - Chicago, 2 picks later - QMJHL defenseman who only had a 52 game season (don't remember any specifics on him). Former first overall in the QMJHL draft. 38 points in 52 games on a dreadful Rouyn-Noranda team. Chicago was even more desperate for defensive prospects than we were. I probably would have been okay with this pick.

Dalton Thrower - Montreal, 5 picks later - Strong riser out of the WHL who was hoped to go in the very late first round. Played a full season, and is a late '93 so would have been AHL eligible after just one more WHL season. Put up 54 points in 66 games with a decent Saskatoon team. A lot of PIM though. Made a huge jump as his two full seasons prior saw him put up all of 27 points in 123 games. Prior to drafting Dumba, I was really hoping Thrower would fall to us. With Dumba in the fold, well if I recall correctly they both play a big hitting game, and I'd rather we not draft too many players in that vein.

Damon Severson - NJD, 14 picks later - One of the few players younger than Dumba in the draft. Put up 37 points in 56 games with a meh Kelowna team. Considering the eyes on Bulmer, we certainly got a good look at him throughout the year, so I would assume there's something the brass didn't like about him. Looks like he had the size that can be deceptive in the CHL. Somehow managed to be -9 in 4 playoff contests this year. Another high PIM player. I never really cared for him, so I certainly wasn't disappointed with him not being our pick.

NYI is the only other team that picked a defenseman before our next selection, and that was Adam Pelech (very much a project out of Erie in the OHL). The front office very deliberately picked long term players who are in situations where they can be kept out of Houston without a loss of status and still allowed to develop. All of the "skipped" defensemen were from the CHL, where that's not an option. Coming up in Houston we're stuck with contracts on with Connelly, Genoway, Medvec, Caron, Krupp, and Jobke. We're likely to keep holding on to Bagnall until he retires for the veteran leadership. If Lorenz does well on his AHL contract we'll bring him in as well. That means the NHL team alone will have 8 defensemen for Houston in 2013-2014. After that we might start clearing up room down there, but it's still a worthy consideration.

Overall, if Bussieres figures out this consistency thing, I highly doubt anyone will ever think "too bad we drafted him there."

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
there is no way to know this at all, also what most people are saying is we lacked major D prospects outside Brodin and Dumba and that they would have liked it if Wild selected a dman over a project winger
It reads more as kvetching because they wanted the team to use 4 of their first 5 picks on defenseman instead of 3.

Pre-draft last year the defensive cupboard was just Spurgeon, Scandella and injured Cuma, but now Brodin, Dumba, Seeler, Kampfer, Gunnarsson and Draeger have been added and Cuma's managed to make it through a full season relatively healthy.

Not exactly bursting at the seams, but there's been obvious effort put forth into addressing the issue. People don't have to like the Bussieres pick, but needs on the blue line aren't nearly as pressing as they once were.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

We're finally in the top ten (yeah yeah I know this has been slow) with Mario Lucia.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Two posts in two days? Yessir! Zack Phillips is our ninth-best prospect.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Number eight is this providence's hockey man crush.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Sweet, totally scored beard photo credits in the Phillips article.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Bulmer above Zucker? A little surprising, but I've seen stranger things.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:27 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Bulmer above Zucker? A little surprising, but I've seen stranger things.
I have Bulmer ranked above Coyle.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Who called him Lindros or Lindros-lite? Was it you? I remember something like that.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:37 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

It was not me. However, if Bulmer can continue his development, he's a Burrows type player. An all around agitator who can play on your top line. I don't really see him as a 35 goal scorer, but I could easily see him putting up 20-25 goals on Granlund's wing in 4-6 years if he keeps up his pace.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Dee Oh Cee

rynryn said that...he was being somewhat facetious but he is really high on him.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post

Pre-draft last year the defensive cupboard was just Spurgeon, Scandella and injured Cuma, but now Brodin, Dumba, Seeler, Kampfer, Gunnarsson and Draeger have been added and Cuma's managed to make it through a full season relatively healthy.
Seeler and Draeger are way, way too early to tell. Gunnarson might be a decent depth defenseman as well as Kampfer. The problem is, I don't see a lot out of Gunner or Kampfer that screams top 3-4 defenseman. Furthermore, they are just two defensemen in the mid-terms. We really don't have a 2-3 year defenseman outside of Dumba, which can be a concern.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Seeler and Draeger are way, way too early to tell. Gunnarson might be a decent depth defenseman as well as Kampfer. The problem is, I don't see a lot out of Gunner or Kampfer that screams top 3-4 defenseman. Furthermore, they are just two defensemen in the mid-terms. We really don't have a 2-3 year defenseman outside of Dumba, which can be a concern.
What team has more than 2 legit bluechip Dmen prospects?

Brodin
Dumba
Scandella
Spurgeon

are better than the vast majority of teams for a quad of young Dmen.

Yeah, there is a gap behind those guys of "sure thing" 2nd pairing dmen prospect, but that's a pretty high luxary for a team to have. We have plenty of project guys with top-4 upside to fill that void (Falk, Cuma, Gunnarsson, Seeler, Draeger, Lorenz, etc.).

Old
09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

The only knock on our prospect pool seems to be "lack of depth" after our high-end prospects.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Which is ridiculous considering how many players from Free Agency and waivers. I'd say we have solid prospects out until 12-13(In our rankings). If thats not depth I don't know what is.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think our lack of quantity in our defensive pool is exacerbated by our NHL short term needs. If we had LA's defensive lineup, I don't think there'd be any concern about our pool. We have two blue-chip defensemen, a couple borderline 2nd pairing guys, and a bunch of depth/long-shot prospects. Sure, a team like Toronto might have better selection of d-man prospects, but can you really name any team you'd trade Brodin + Dumba + Seeler + Draeger for their full set of defensive prospects?

Old
09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
nickschultzfan

I still view Scandella, Spurgeon, and Falk in the "prospect/young player" group which is why I'm not worried. If Granlund, Coyle, and Bulmer make the Wild next season, I'm not going all of a sudden freak out because of our "lack of forward prospect" depth.

To put another way, if Scandella, Spurgeon, and Falk were still in Houston, because we had some middling UFA NHL Dmen, we would be praised how awesome our farm of blueliners is.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I still view Scandella, Spurgeon, and Falk in the "prospect/young player" group which is why I'm not worried. If Granlund, Coyle, and Bulmer make the Wild next season, I'm not going all of a sudden freak out because of our "lack of forward prospect" depth.

To put another way, if Scandella, Spurgeon, and Falk were still in Houston, because we had some middling UFA NHL Dmen, we would be praised how awesome our farm of blueliners is.
That how i see it. Our defense isn't in nearly as dire of a situation as some make it out to be. Of course, Suter is the one who helped change that. It just depends on what Brodin becomes in the next two years and whether or not Scandella can overcome his inconsistencies.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Going for another 2010 second round pick at #7 with Brett Bulmer.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Speed demons. He is who I thought he was. And hes still on the hook.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Brett Bulmer and Cal Clutterbuck are both rough-and-tumble hockey player names.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I heard hes changing it to Bullmer, too.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Nah, Bullmer is what all the trade proposals will call him in a couple years, though.