HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
weems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
If you were AA would you rather guarantee CV a spot and then bring in 1 more arm or would you rather go after 2 arms with a better track record of 200 innings? (not attacking your comment, just honest question) I suspect most people would all do the same thing.
We'll It depends on what I'm having to give up to aquire those 2 better pitchers.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:01 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
We'll It depends on what I'm having to give up to aquire those 2 better pitchers.

would you give up the lansing 3, drnaud, marisnick, gose

i know i wouldnt

Old
09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
lets say a trade for one of Masterson, Garza or Shields and then free agent like Marcum/McCarthy/Jackson/Sanchez.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
would you give up the lansing 3, drnaud, marisnick, gose

i know i wouldnt
All of them!? Certainly not. 2, maybe 3. Definitely. For the right guy ofcourse.

Quote:
lets say a trade for one of Masterson, Garza or Shields and then free agent like Marcum/McCarthy/Jackson/Sanchez.
I'd add Lohse to that list of possible FAs aswell. Although the fact that St.Louis is letting him walk and keeping Westbrook does raise a red flag. Very odd. Maybe he just wants to cash in.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:13 PM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
The Rangers just keep on finding jewels, even when they go to the World Series year after year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614036.html
I would be impressed if it was anyone else other than Profar and Olt lol. Profar is the reason Andrus wont even be a Ranger next year, so maybe you can find something else to complain about

Old
09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I wouldn't bother trading for those guys (and Tampa won't trade Shields within division). Just give up money and sign a couple of good starters. Anibal Sanchez and Jackson would be great additions and they won't be guys that get something like 70M+.

Wishful thinking but I would try to just give tons of money to get Grienke and then maybe just try to get a cheap bottomend starter. Would definitely prefer one great frontline starter over a couple of mid-starters. Another option to watch would be Ervin Santana whose option I don't think will get picked up and he could be a good buy low option.

Also, I hope AA doesn't trade for starters with less than 2 years of control. Not interesting in giving up a lot for a guy that might not be here for a while. If someone like Gio or Latos or Pineda becomes available, jump on it.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
canucksfan

A few people wanted Guthrie. Since he has been in KC his ERA is almost below 3.00

Old
09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I wouldn't bother trading for those guys (and Tampa won't trade Shields within division). Just give up money and sign a couple of good starters. Anibal Sanchez and Jackson would be great additions and they won't be guys that get something like 70M+.

Wishful thinking but I would try to just give tons of money to get Grienke and then maybe just try to get a cheap bottomend starter. Would definitely prefer one great frontline starter over a couple of mid-starters. Another option to watch would be Ervin Santana whose option I don't think will get picked up and he could be a good buy low option.

Also, I hope AA doesn't trade for starters with less than 2 years of control. Not interesting in giving up a lot for a guy that might not be here for a while. If someone like Gio or Latos or Pineda becomes available, jump on it.
If the jays could lock up Grienke I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable with giving CV that 5th starters role. Not ideal but if they wanted to save money to accommodate his salary I'd be good with it.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
darko

Quote:
The Rangers just keep on finding jewels, even when they go to the World Series year after year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614036.html

Jays had Lawrie last season and were unlucky to see D'Arnaud miss out. Boston's Lavarnway made it instead.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:21 PM
ryno23

Quote:
I would rather get 2 proven guys and have then start then take a chance on CV and have to replace him midseason when it would cost more.

I would love if they could swing a deal for Bucholz with Farrell, Escobar and a good prospect going the other way. I don't think it would happen but if they want Farrell that is the price.

More realistically I would move prospects to the Cubs for Garza to slot in #2 and then sign a mid tier guy to pitch #4 like Marcum, A.Sanchez, Liriano, Saunders, McCarthy, Correia. Any of those guys would be ok as #4 with Happ at #5.

Best case is get 2 (Garza, Grienke) top tier rotation guys and move Romero to #4 and that would be a solid rotation.

Garza will cost just prospects and only makes 9.5 but has arb this year. Cubs can use talent all over the diamond so I see them asking for a stud pitcher and maybe a Moise Sierra unless the Jays have a good quality 3B prospect but I don't think they do.

There is some pitching out there to fill a #4 hole on the FA market but how do you fill the top of the rotation that is the big question.

I am not too worried about cost control on the player as its up to the Jays to make a player want to sign and if he is that good he will get paid no matter what. Too many times its been cost control vs less talented player and that needs to change to acquire top talent either via deals or FA. Your job as a general manager is to make guys want to stay by putting a winner on the field and make it a go to destination as it was back in the late 80's early 90's

Old
09-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Regarding our 2B issue. Cleveland by all accounts are looking to shop Choo and Masterson this off season and some league exec's think Asdrubal Cabrera will be shopped as well. He could easily slot into the 2B spot and provide us the defence and bat that we could move Escobar out and go with a Hech-Cabrera middle of the infield. Would probably cost a bit but would lock down the position for the foreseeable future.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:58 PM
ryno23

I think AA is going to come out this winter and shut up guys like me who says Rogers is cheap and bring in some talent while adding payroll

Trading for Matt Garza which will cost prospects probaby 2 top ten plus some low end prospect.

Dealing Escobar + prospects for Daniel Murphy. He provides the #2 hitter moving who doesn't strikeout often and perfect for hit run and getting on base. The Mets need a shortstop and prospects to fill the farm.

Sign a #4 starter like marcum, Sanchez, Liriano among others but a vet to stabilize the bottom of the rotation.

If Ortiz is willing to sign for 2 years or less then it's an option

But my biggest dream would be Josh Hamilton to a 6 year $120 mil contract. Time to strike for the best player in baseball well top 5 for sure. This is a move to energize a team, fans and city. The team on the field will be better for sure. 6 years is long but Hamilton will be able to DH to stay healthy later on during the contract. Front load the deal to pay more out during the next 3 years which will be productive. So if unproductive at age 37 and 38 you can buyout or deal him

So you would have

Lawrie 3b
Daniel Murphy 2b
Bautista - rf
Hamilton -LF
EE -1b
Ortiz -DH
Rasmus -cf
JPA - C
Ech -SS

Morrow
Garza
Romero
#4 vet
Happ

Bullpen is pretty set

Also now you have depth in Buffalo with Alvarez, Cecil, Laffey guys able to come up and start in case of injuries same goes with Gose and Sierra.

Yeah I know Hamilton is a long shot but take him out and put Gose in and it will still be good.

Fire Farrel or better yet deal him to Boston for a prospect to flip in another deal and fire Murphy change the hitting philosophy to work count get on base and fight when down 2 strikes to work a walk or put the ball in play.

Put grass in at Roger centre to save on injuries only Tampa has turf everyone else is grass.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Escobar is worth more than Murphy.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
weems

Maybe something like Escobar and prospects for Niese and Murphy could work.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
shully
Night's Watch

Any of you interested in joining a dynasty baseball fantasy league? League has deteriorated since commissioner left for personal reasons so we are making new commissioners and getting new people to join. 30 teams with RL names. If anyone's interested I can send you the link and rules

Old
09-17-2012, 09:24 AM
gladis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I know that Villanueva might not be happy about the fact that Anthopoulos has said he's not sure about committing to him as a full-time starter given that he's never done that role, but even though I want Charlie V back next year, Anthopoulos does have a point. Even this year, he's projected to hit 132 innings at his current pace. That would be a major league career high for him. And the only time he's ever pitched more innings in a year were 05 (133 innings in teh minors) and 06 (118 innings in the minors and another 50 or so in the majors). He's never had 200 innings and a whole season of starting at one level, let alone the major league level. There's no guarantee he doesn't start faltering when he tops 150 or 160 innings.

Yes, this season as an extended audition looks promising. But I don't like the idea of paying the guy mid-rotation starter money only to find out that he ends up back in the bullpen at some point. Unfortunately for the Jays, some panicky, desperate GM is likely going to back the money truck up to him and he'll be gone (which I can't fault him for)
You mean Carlos right? Not charlie?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Swervin81
MFW Leafs be Leafin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I know that Villanueva might not be happy about the fact that Anthopoulos has said he's not sure about committing to him as a full-time starter given that he's never done that role, but even though I want Charlie V back next year, Anthopoulos does have a point. Even this year, he's projected to hit 132 innings at his current pace. That would be a major league career high for him. And the only time he's ever pitched more innings in a year were 05 (133 innings in teh minors) and 06 (118 innings in the minors and another 50 or so in the majors). He's never had 200 innings and a whole season of starting at one level, let alone the major league level. There's no guarantee he doesn't start faltering when he tops 150 or 160 innings.

Yes, this season as an extended audition looks promising. But I don't like the idea of paying the guy mid-rotation starter money only to find out that he ends up back in the bullpen at some point. Unfortunately for the Jays, some panicky, desperate GM is likely going to back the money truck up to him and he'll be gone (which I can't fault him for)
Dude, Charlie V couldn't even play basketball well enough. Now you're asking him to play baseball?

Old
09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Any of you interested in joining a dynasty baseball fantasy league? League has deteriorated since commissioner left for personal reasons so we are making new commissioners and getting new people to join. 30 teams with RL names. If anyone's interested I can send you the link and rules
I'd take a look at it. Send me the info please.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
I am interested, PM me some info.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I'd take a look at it. Send me the info please.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...2/2614039.html

Old
09-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
It's asking for a login and a password.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Interested. Send me the specs/details of the league and I'll get back to ya.

Cheers.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/0...ars-eye-black/

More and more controversy.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores