HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

good news for the "A" bad news for the NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2012, 10:53 AM
  #1
Govment Cheese
Registered User
 
Govment Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
good news for the "A" bad news for the NHL

NHLPA and NHL Agree On Special Pre-Lockout Waiver Period.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/9/1...12-waivers-ahl

Basically it means that any player signed to a two-way contract can be assigned to the AHL during a lockout. When/if the NHL season starts the players can be recalled without having to passing through reentry waivers. AHL teams will have some extra talent skating for them until the new CBA is signed.
The only down side I see for the AHL teams is the holes in the roster mid season that have to be filled anyway they can.

Will enjoy watching these players for as long as they are around. Can't wait for some live AHL hockey to start.

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
  #2
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
that's great news for us AHL fans.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
  #3
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Does anyone have any information about AHL Live, the online streaming package for AHL games?

The website has virtually no information as it's still congratulating last year's champions. From the little I have been able to read from third party websites, the package used to go for about $400, which seems a little crazy.

But, it seems pretty strange that at this point, they are still not promoting this season's package. Anyway, if anyone has any useful information, I'd be very interested.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
  #4
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
that's great news for us AHL fans.
But horrible news for 3rd/4th line forwards, 5th/6th dman and backup goalies.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
  #5
Govment Cheese
Registered User
 
Govment Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
Does anyone have any information about AHL Live, the online streaming package for AHL games?

The website has virtually no information as it's still congratulating last year's champions. From the little I have been able to read from third party websites, the package used to go for about $400, which seems a little crazy.

But, it seems pretty strange that at this point, they are still not promoting this season's package. Anyway, if anyone has any useful information, I'd be very interested.
Don't remember exact $$ here are ballpark numbers for last year:

Packages offered

All games = some ridiculous $$$$
Your team home and away = under $200
your team just away = Under $130
single games = $7

The picture quality is not good, think 1980's standard def analog TV. Check out the free highlights to see the quality for yourself. What is in the highlights is typical of what you will get when streaming.

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
  #6
Johnny8242
Registered User
 
Johnny8242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
This season is going to be awesome for the AHL/ECHL

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:34 AM
  #7
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner
 
SpokedLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
Don't remember exact $$ here are ballpark numbers for last year:

Packages offered

All games = some ridiculous $$$$Your team home and away = under $200
your team just away = Under $130
single games = $7

The picture quality is not good, think 1980's standard def analog TV. Check out the free highlights to see the quality for yourself. What is in the highlights is typical of what you will get when streaming.
From what I have experienced the bolded is all correct. I have a very good inet connection and a decent pc and the picture quality is terrible. It's way overpriced for what it is. I usually just listen to the free radio feed instead...it looks better.

SpokedLightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  #8
royals119
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
But horrible news for 3rd/4th line forwards, 5th/6th dman and backup goalies.
Quote:
This season is going to be awesome for the AHL/ECHL
At least those players will only be sent to the ECHL, the ECHL third line players, third pair dmen, and goalies are going to get cut to make room for the AHLers being sent down. If the NHL settles mid season every ECHL team is going to be scrambling just to fill their roster, particularly if the Canadian ECHL players have gone home and found jobs, and have to start immigration all over again.

The AHL should be fine either way, and get the benefit of seeing some players they might not have otherwise, for the ECHL this could be great if the NHL stays out all year, or a huge mess if they settle part way through the year.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
  #9
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals119 View Post
At least those players will only be sent to the ECHL, the ECHL third line players, third pair dmen, and goalies are going to get cut to make room for the AHLers being sent down. If the NHL settles mid season every ECHL team is going to be scrambling just to fill their roster, particularly if the Canadian ECHL players have gone home and found jobs, and have to start immigration all over again.

The AHL should be fine either way, and get the benefit of seeing some players they might not have otherwise, for the ECHL this could be great if the NHL stays out all year, or a huge mess if they settle part way through the year.
No doubt. The trickle down effect is not a good one for marginal AHLers who will get sent to the ECHL (making less money) and marginal ECHLers who will get sent to the FHL and SPHL (making less money).

It's no better in Europe where NHLers are taking jobs away from some Euro players.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  #10
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals119 View Post
At least those players will only be sent to the ECHL, the ECHL third line players, third pair dmen, and goalies are going to get cut to make room for the AHLers being sent down. If the NHL settles mid season every ECHL team is going to be scrambling just to fill their roster, particularly if the Canadian ECHL players have gone home and found jobs, and have to start immigration all over again.

The AHL should be fine either way, and get the benefit of seeing some players they might not have otherwise, for the ECHL this could be great if the NHL stays out all year, or a huge mess if they settle part way through the year.
Lots of ECHLers will struggle to find jobs, especially all the guys on Elmira after they fold

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:25 PM
  #11
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
This season is going to be awesome for the AHL/ECHL
A team like Trenton/Reading may enjoy this year. Guys getting plucked by the A will be few and far between.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
  #12
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
I find this a little bizarre:

https://twitter.com/andrewconboy88/s...60853055311872

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
  #13
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Yeah, why would a player who has never played in the ECHL, be proud to be demoted... granted it could be for conditioning purposes. Maybe he was hurt last season. No? Only payed 10 games. Numbers weren't impressive, but he would have been sent down if it was for the reason of not playing well, so I am thinking injuries. Has to be for conditioning, or maybe not. Meh.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.