HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Continue.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
wej20

When do the College and Major Junior seasons start for real?

Old
09-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Gumbercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
When do the College and Major Junior seasons start for real?
Major Junior starts next weekend, college starts the first weekend of October.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:13 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Major Junior starts next weekend, college starts the first weekend of October.
Thanks, at least there will some hockey to follow.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Flat Stanley

Any WBS streams?

Old
09-16-2012, 07:06 AM
deakka

Zlobin with 2 goals and an assist in the last pre-season game. That gives him 9 points in 4 games. I doubt he keeps that pace during the season. But i would like to see him at a 1.5 PPG at least. That would land him around 90ish points.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:21 AM
deakka

I was just about to go on here saying how Sundsqvist were pointless after 3 games in the J20 league in sweden. But then he just scored 2 goals in the 3rd peroid giving him 2+0 after 3 games

Old
09-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
bangbodies.com will have them

Old
09-16-2012, 08:49 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
I was just about to go on here saying how Sundsqvist were pointless after 3 games in the J20 league in sweden. But then he just scored 2 goals in the 3rd peroid giving him 2+0 after 3 games
Have they started their regular season or is it still pre-season?

Old
09-16-2012, 10:29 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Have they started their regular season or is it still pre-season?
the regular season has started. heres a link to standings and some boxscores http://stats.swehockey.se/ScheduleAn.../Overview/3002

Old
09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
the regular season has started. heres a link to standings and some boxscores http://stats.swehockey.se/ScheduleAn.../Overview/3002
Thanks for the update deakka.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
wgknestrick

Puck Prospectus Prospect Ranks

http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1379

Quite a bit different than what I expected to see. Morrow is turning out to be quite the pick from Shero.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

Quite a bit different than what I expected to see. Morrow is turning out to be quite the pick from Shero.

Only thing that surprises me much is that Samuelsson finds a way to sneak in at the end. He always finds the last spot in any type of non-HF voted prospect rankings it seems, whether it's THN or the Trib or PG or whoever. No doubt mostly because of name recognition because I don't see him being anything more than a 7th defenseman at the NHL level.

One thing I like about Hockey Prospectus rankings is that they're very grounded in their projections of what they think the player will become, though I guarantee that it makes people rage when they read it. Way, way too often prospects listings make the 7th-best prospect in an average system seem like a lock to be a top-6 wing or top-4 d, so I do like the more realistic approach.

Last edited by Sivek: 09-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
JTG

I don't think Tangradi has below average speed for a guy who is that big. I think he moves very well. He's by no means a burner, but skating is not a weakness. I think in his time in the NHL he has looked slow because he has never really played enough to have the opportunity to get comfortable.

With that said, I enjoyed reading that. I'm intrigued by a lot of guys in our system.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

They apparently haven't gotten the memo that Bennett has already bulked up a ton.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
JTG

I think Dan Byslma's system will make Joe Morrow look better defensively than he really is.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think Dan Byslma's system will make Joe Morrow look better defensively than he really is.
nothing about this statement makes sense to me after last season

Old
09-17-2012, 07:04 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
nothing about this statement makes sense to me after last season
Yeah...big difference between the way Morrow plays and the way guys like Martin and Michalek play. I think if the right guys are put into the system, it will look awesome. Guys like Despres and Morrow fit that mold.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
I don't think Tangradi has below average speed for a guy who is that big. I think he moves very well. He's by no means a burner, but skating is not a weakness. I think in his time in the NHL he has looked slow because he has never really played enough to have the opportunity to get comfortable.

With that said, I enjoyed reading that. I'm intrigued by a lot of guys in our system.
He doesn't. You're right. That proves that that guy doesn't even watch the prospects in games. I'd even go as far as saying he's a little above average for a guy his size

Old
09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Yeah...big difference between the way Morrow plays and the way guys like Martin and Michalek play. I think if the right guys are put into the system, it will look awesome. Guys like Despres and Morrow fit that mold.
I certainly hope so. Or else we're in some serious trouble.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Jacob

A player's skating ability is never as black and white as "he's a good skater" or "he's a bad skater" or anything like that. There are some things about Tangradi's skating that are good, some that are OK, and a few things he should continue to work on.

His straight-away speed from A-to-B is good, not just for a guy his size but even for a smaller player. His cuts are bad though, he takes wide cuts that often take him too far out of the play, typical of big players but still something he can and should correct. His balance seems OK, but for a guy that's going to make his living in the trenches, you'd like to see it be a strength. Probably needs work on his lateral mobility and transitional skating too, but I honestly don't remember specifics about these aspects. The biggest thing he needs to work on isn't about technique, but rather mentality. He needs to keep his feet moving more, but still also be able to make plays while going at that full-tilt speed. That's going to end up being the difference between Tangradi being the next Ryan Malone or the next Chad Kilger, I think.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
He doesn't. You're right. That proves that that guy doesn't even watch the prospects in games. I'd even go as far as saying he's a little above average for a guy his size
Tangradi's assessment was very accurate IMO. His skating is his 2nd weakness aside from conditioning. I wish you were right, though.

I was surprised to see Brian at #2 and Bennett so high (top 5) personally. This list also supports most feeling like we reached significantly for Pouliot at #8.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Tangradi's assessment was very accurate IMO. His skating is his 2nd weakness aside from conditioning. I wish you were right, though.

I was surprised to see Brian at #2 and Bennett so high (top 5) personally. This list also supports most feeling like we reached significantly for Pouliot at #8.
For what's it worth, there is an article on that site discussing some of the individual picks of the 2012 draft and the author talks about the Pouliot pick a bit:

"When I asked a scouting director if he was surprised to see Pouliot go at 8 he said firmly, “No” and continued by saying, “That’s basically where we had him. We though he was right there with the other top Canadian defensemen.” Scouts of course don’t discuss their draft boards with each other, but they do get a feel from their colleagues on what they think of certain players. From talking to NHL sources about what they had heard from their peers, it seems there were certainly some teams that had Derrick Pouliot in their top 10, but most did not."

Only time will tell if Pouliot was an overdraft though.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Roberto Bortuzzo, eh?

Old
09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote: