HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 12:39 AM
needle

vCash: 500
And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Really bad timing for the growth of this sport in the city. I'm a bandwagoner. Followed box scores in 07-08, finally relented to watching games in 08-09. Hockey leaders seam cocky to me. This sport is by far the #4 team game in America. So why is there so much ego? Preseason is supposed to start in 10 days. I guess it won't. And honestly, that sucks.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 11-09-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 12:51 AM
zytz
lumberjack

did not see this coming

Old
09-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Cullksinikers

We are getting a shortened season but at least a season. That might be a plus for 2 and 7's legs. Only one positive to this.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:55 AM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
We are getting a shortened season but at least a season. That might be a plus for 2 and 7's legs. Only one positive to this.
How do you know that there will be any season?

Old
09-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Cullksinikers

Just a hunch.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:24 AM
BobbyJet

Right now, we are getting an instant replay of 2004. Fehr and his ego underestimates the resolve of the NHL, just like Goodenow did. The players are again being led down the garden path, and as far as I'm concerned have already lost and it will only get worse. It seems nothing was learned from the previous experience. It doesn't look good for anything to happen for quite a while.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
xX Hot Fuss

This portion of the lockout shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I thought it was common knowledge that the preseason was lost...

I'll only be surprised if we get into December/January and there's still no season

Old
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
stingo

I don't think this is going to be another long lockout, but I expect it to last up until November.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this was expected... not really shocking.

Something I like about this... our team knows each other, STs can't get worse and we can play good from Day 1. More rest for Hossa and less RS minutes for Keith

Old
09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
It all depends on Fehr and players

If Fehr and Players believe the delusional junk they spew then hockey is finished for next 12 months

Old
09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I have an uncle who said he'd introduce me to Savvy and that we'd be able to talk about the lockout. (This is Denis Savard, mind you, one of the greatest Hawks of all time.) I know for a fact that he will have something to say.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Still calling Opening Day being Jan 1st. Just as the NBA got sorted out for Christmas, their biggest day of the year, hockey will do the same and get it figured out in time for the winter classic. There's too much money for either side to lose that day.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
this was expected... not really shocking.

Something I like about this... our team knows each other, STs can't get worse and we can play good from Day 1. More rest for Hossa and less RS minutes for Keith
ST's don't get better during the lockout. Teams can't meet at all, let alone practice right? Rest for Keith/Seabs, recovery time for Hossa AND Toews will be nice

Old
09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
ST's don't get better during the lockout. Teams can't meet at all, let alone practice right? Rest for Keith/Seabs, recovery time for Hossa AND Toews will be nice
They can practice on their own time if they want, nothing from stopping then from meeting. NFL teams did it.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Cullksinikers

Players can rent ice.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
This portion of the lockout shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I thought it was common knowledge that the preseason was lost...

I'll only be surprised if we get into December/January and there's still no season
Exactly. This has always been what was expected to happen. Sure, there was some hope that a new CBA could have been agreed upon and we wouldn't miss any games, but the common thinking has been that there would be a lockout and it would be over at some point before the Winter Classic. Whether that's at the end of October or a couple days before the Winter Classic, that's been the question. I don't think anyone can completely rule out a year-long lockout, but I'd be surprised if the players and NHL threw away yet another season.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
BobbyJet

/\ Expected? Not from me. The NHL has proven in the past that they are no-nonsense negotiators. By letting the Sept 15 deadline come and go spells to me that the NHLPA has fallen into the same trap as 2004 and have failed to learn from that experience. I'd like to think we won't have a lost season again, but I'm not optimistic at this time. Fehr came in thinking his past experience would make this a cake-walk and was cocky enough to wait until late June before beginning talks. A huge mistake that won't get rectified unless Fehr wakes up and realizes that he needs to compromise and quickly. The longer this goes, the worse it will be for the players.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:36 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ Expected? Not from me. The NHL has proven in the past that they are no-nonsense negotiators. By letting the Sept 15 deadline come and go spells to me that the NHLPA has fallen into the same trap as 2004 and have failed to learn from that experience. I'd like to think we won't have a lost season again, but I'm not optimistic at this time. Fehr came in thinking his past experience would make this a cake-walk and was cocky enough to wait until late June before beginning talks. A huge mistake that won't get rectified unless Fehr wakes up and realizes that he needs to compromise and quickly. The longer this goes, the worse it will be for the players.
The problems being faced during this CBA negotiation are nowhere near as impactful as the problems faced last time. This has been talked about all summer by people with insight to the negotiations and with an understanding of what both parties want/feel they need. There was always hope the NHL and NHLPA would come together and get it done, but the expectation was always this: A lockout and a lockout that should not consume the entire NHL season.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:42 PM
BobbyJet

/\ I hope so but the fact they couldn't even find a common structure to begin serious talks is worrisome. We've got some large egos at stake here.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
I never said they will get better...

I said that they really can't get worse than they already are. We still finished with 101 pts without goaltending and STs

Old
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
It all depends on Fehr and players

If Fehr and Players believe the delusional junk they spew then hockey is finished for next 12 months
I think you're right.

I can't stand hearing the players talk about how "informed" they are. My opinion is that they know just enough to be really dangerous. They haven't spent enough time to have a really good idea about what's best and sustainable for them. I trust Fehr more than the players. At least last time the players were just a bunch of clowns running their mouths, this time they really scare me.

My bigger fear is that they come to an agreement and they repeat this mess in a few years because the PA is such a jumbled and pathetic mess still.

I can't wait to see what happens in a few weeks as dozens and dozens of other players sign contracts in other leagues and more an more players are left sitting on the sidelines without a good team to play on and without a paycheck.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I guess the only positive if the season starts late, Hossa gets a chance to rest a bit as well as any other players with undisclosed injuries.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Sevanston

Per Jahns, apparently Toews and some guys -- current and former Hawks like Campbell and Brouwer -- and some others are running a practice at Johnny's today.

At least they're trying to stay fresh.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:29 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

come on, where's kane been through all of this. from what i've seen, those nhlpa collective bargaining meetings haven't grabbed his interest

Old
09-18-2012, 12:44 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
come on, where's kane been through all of this. from what i've seen, those nhlpa collective bargaining meetings haven't grabbed his interest
He's treating the NHLPA like Team USA. We can count on his consistency.

Closed Thread