HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

CIS 2012 Exhibition Games

Old
09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
Goal scorers anyone?

Who played the right wing with Culligan and Carroll, was it Cam Braes?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:50 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Culligan and Critchlow scored the goals.

Shots were something like 37-25 for UNB...so after the first period UNB gave up 5 goals on 13 shots...bad goaltending or bad defence?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:50 AM
timbitca

If I remember it correctly, it went something like this...

1st period

5:36 UDM Remi Blanchard (forget, forget)

2nd period

3:22 UNB Chris Culligan (Nesbitt, Todd)
10:02 UDM Eric Faille (Blanchard, Charland)

3rd period

5:09 UDM Remi Blanchard (Quesnel, Groulx)
5:57 UDM Keven Charland (C. Guay, Pilon)
9:38 UNB Cam Braes (Carroll, Culligan)
10:03 UDM Eric Faille (C. Guay)
12:11 UDM Francis Rochon ()

Shots they had at 37-25 but that's impossible since they had us at 22 before the 3rd and we scored 4... and I can't remember what I had for shots, probably around 37-30 I'd say.

Goalies on both sides split at 9:22 of the 2nd period, with Andre Guay (13/14) and Travis Fullerton (14/15) starting. Both of them were great and in full control, neither goal was really their fault. LeMay stepped in and played brilliantly to replace Andre while LaCosta had more of a struggle for UNB... though to his defense everything did seem to go our way last night. One goal was a tip in and 2 or 3 came down low where he couldn't move fast enough. Rochon's goal came on a beauty forehand-backhand deke where he just roofed it over a sprawling LaCosta. We had 1 PP goal while UNB had none.

I wouldn't be worried much if I were a UNB fan... though I tought the D wasn't any impressive, or maybe downright bad, tonight. The offense should fall into place easily enough, we saw some flashes of it tonight, but the slick passes and nifty plays just didn't find any finish.

Oh, forgot to mention. If you ever go to that rink in Evangeline, PEI... bring at least 2-3 coats and a tuque. Bloody cold in there. And my apologies for the non-existant Twitter updates last night, that rink is built like Fort Knox and there was 0 cellular reception inside.

Last edited by timbitca: 09-18-2012 at 07:10 AM.
timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:52 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Goal scorers anyone?

Can't remember for sure, but it could have been him.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:02 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Goal scorers anyone?

Culligan scored UNB's first goal with the assist going to Nesbitt. Braes had their second but I'm not sure who assisted. For Moncton, I'm pretty sure both Faille and Blanchard each scored 2. Blanchard had at least a 3 point night.

The line combinations for UNB were constantly changing. I know I looked out a couple of times and saw Wudrick with Carroll and Culligan. I honestly think they'll look like a completely different team with Swan and Pridham playing.

Like I mentioned, Moncton seemed much more in sync than UNB did. It was almost as if Moncton had already played a couple of games and UNB was stepping onto the ice for the first time, which is odd because usually it's the other way around.

BTW, Culligan took the ceremonial face-off.

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Culligan scored UNB's first goal with the assist going to Nesbitt. Braes had their second but I'm not sure who assisted. For Moncton, I'm pretty sure both Faille and Blanchard each scored 2. Blanchard had at least a 3 point night.

The line combinations for UNB were constantly changing. I know I looked out a couple of times and saw Wudrick with Carroll and Culligan. I honestly think they'll look like a completely different team with Swan and Pridham playing.

Like I mentioned, Moncton seemed much more in sync than UNB did. It was almost as if Moncton had already played a couple of games and UNB was stepping onto the ice for the first time, which is odd because usually it's the other way around.

BTW, Culligan took the ceremonial face-off.

Oops... Fixed Braes' goal.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
If I remember it correctly, it went something like this...

1st period

5:36 UDM Remi Blanchard (forget, forget)

2nd period

3:22 UNB Chris Culligan (Nesbitt, Todd)
10:02 UDM Eric Faille (Blanchard, Charland)

3rd period

5:09 UDM Remi Blanchard (Quesnel, Groulx)
5:57 UDM Keven Charland (C. Guay, Pilon)
9:38 UNB Cameron Critchlow (Carroll, Culligan)
10:03 UDM Eric Faille (C. Guay)
12:11 UDM Francis Rochon ()

Shots they had at 37-25 but that's impossible since they had us at 22 before the 3rd and we scored 4... and I can't remember what I had for shots, probably around 37-30 I'd say.

Goalies on both sides split at 9:22 of the 2nd period, with Andre Guay (13/14) and Travis Fullerton (14/15) starting. Both of them were great and in full control, neither goal was really their fault. LeMay stepped in and played brilliantly to replace Andre while LaCosta had more of a struggle for UNB... though to his defense everything did seem to go our way last night. One goal was a tip in and 2 or 3 came down low where he couldn't move fast enough. Rochon's goal came on a beauty forehand-backhand deke where he just roofed it over a sprawling LaCosta. We had 1 PP goal while UNB had none.

I wouldn't be worried much if I were a UNB fan... though I tought the D wasn't any impressive, or maybe downright bad, tonight. The offense should fall into place easily enough, we saw some flashes of it tonight, but the slick passes and nifty plays just didn't find any finish.

Oh, forgot to mention. If you ever go to that rink in Evangeline, PEI... bring at least 2-3 coats and a tuque. Bloody cold in there. And my apologies for the non-existant Twitter updates last night, that rink is built like Fort Knox and there was 0 cellular reception inside.
It was definitely Braes with UNB's 2nd goal. Or let me put it this way, it was #10 and I'm pretty sure the game sheet listed #10 as Braes (although I could be wrong).

I thought the combination of Moncton's goalies played better than UNB's. Fullerton IMO played really well but LaCosta... bad goaltending or bad defence... I think a little bit of both.

Cold... it was frigging freezing in there.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:12 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

The article on hockeyscene mentioned it was Critchlow who scored, but it definitely was Braes?

Old
09-18-2012, 08:07 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
The article on hockeyscene mentioned it was Critchlow who scored, but it definitely was Braes?
I'll have to take a 2nd look at the roster sheet. Again, I know it was #10 who scored and I'm almost certain the roster sheet listed #10 as Braes. I'm pretty sure as well that I remember Braes' name being announced as the goal scorer.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
timbitca

Quote:
I'll have to take a 2nd look at the roster sheet. Again, I know it was #10 who scored and I'm almost certain the roster sheet listed #10 as Braes. I'm pretty sure as well that I remember Braes' name being announced as the goal scorer.
Yeah, I have the roster sheet in front of me here and it definitely lists Braes as #10. I had it marked incorrectly on my "summary" sheet... and the hockeyscene mistake is my fault too, as is likely the mistake in any newspapers that took their information from the moncton journalists... Oops

Old
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I didn't even see Denny.
Was he listed in the program?

Old
09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Was he listed in the program?
Yes, he was listed on the roster sheet. I may have just missed seeing him but that would be strange as I saw both Swan and Pridham a number of times. Maybe Denny didn't make the trip.

I know that Pridham at the very least took part in the pre-game warmup. I don't think I noticed Swan though... we only got to the rink a few minutes before the warmup ended.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Island Husky

Quote:
Yes, he was listed on the roster sheet. I may have just missed seeing him but that would be strange as I saw both Swan and Pridham a number of times. Maybe Denny didn't make the trip.

I know that Pridham at the very least took part in the pre-game warmup. I don't think I noticed Swan though... we only got to the rink a few minutes before the warmup ended.
Anyone know why Pridham didn't play in the game? Playing a few minutes from his hometown he'd have been a great ceremonial faceoff guy? There would have been more than a few of his fans there too.
PS At least you guys got there, I forgot about it completely and live about twenty minutes away..
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...eline-a-show/1

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Anyone know why Pridham didn't play in the game? Playing a few minutes from his hometown he'd have been a great ceremonial faceoff guy? There would have been more than a few of his fans there too.
That struck me as odd as well...maybe him and Swan aren't 100% cleared to play yet for whatever reason.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Carleton Ravens (1) @ UNB Varsity Reds (3) Ex

Carleton played a good game, but you'll need more than 19 shots to get a win over UNB (on most nights). UNB was bit flat or was unable to convert. Shots were 10-5 in the first, 19-17 in the second and ended 35-19 for UNB. There were times when UNB owned Carelton, but couldn't convert the chance or a stick got in the way.

Carleton scored first, early in the second period, on a crash-the-net play when the puck bounced up and over Travis. UNB's Nick MacNeil scored on a great deflection on the PP with 1 minute remaining in the second period.

UNB took the lead on Nick MacNeil's second PP goal (too-many-men penalty to Carleton) with 5min left in the game. UNB gave Carleton a PP chance, but the Raven's only had one shot (their second of the period). The Raven's pulled their goalie with 1:04 and UNB got an odd man rush to seal the game (I think the goal was Braes) at 0:25

Final score: 3-1

A bit of rough play resulted in some dancing around the Raven's bench, with 4 min left, but nothing but Roughing and GMs handed out.

Not on the ice for UNB: Kidd, Swan, Pridham

Lines were a mix-match most of the night. Carroll and Culligan were together with different wingers. MacNeil was on the wing for PP Unit #1. Travis played the entire game and the Carleton Started went the distance as well.

Last edited by Drummer: 09-20-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Anyone know why Pridham didn't play in the game?
Sounds like he's still sorting out his academic paperwork. There is no margin for error when you are a 5th year transfer student vis-a-vis CIS eligibility.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
timbitca

Hadn't really bothered to look at the schedules much, but what's up with UQTR, 3 games this weekend in the AUS and another game in Truro next weekend? Either they have no school this week and a **** ton of money to blow or that's an awful lot of traveling to be doing in a 7-day period.

Either way, I'll likely end up going to one of either the UNB game this sunday or the game in Truro next friday against SMU.

I'm thinking the game against SMU would probably be better. 1) I've seen UNB already once this year and 2) they'll more than likely demolish UQTR as that will be 3 games in 3 nights for them...

Old
09-21-2012, 05:42 PM
cishockeyfan

based off the last game againts Western Last Year and the First two games this year againts Moncton and Carlton, I wouldnt expect UNB to Demolish them, that word shouldnt be in our vocabulary anymore until we prove other wise

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Some notable scores from last night, featuring UNB's next three opponents:

UQTR defeated UPEI 3-2
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...key-Panthers/1

Western beat Concordia 4-3
http://www.westernmustangs.ca/news/2...x?path=mhockey

McGill over Waterloo 6-3
http://www.mcgill.ca/athletics/newsr...item_id=218680

Some other scores:

Alberta beat Saskatchewan 2-1 (SO)
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest...p?game_id=1402

Ottawa beat Lakehead 4-3
http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/g...d=1631&gId=649

Windsor beat Laurier 4-2

Brock beat Guelph 5-2
http://gobadgers.ca/sports/mice/2012...201209229pu1a0

Manitoba beat Regina 6-2
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest...p?game_id=1404

UBC beat Simon Fraser 4-3 (OT)
http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/news/20...921121100.aspx

Nipissing beat Ryerson 3-2
http://www.nugget.ca/2012/09/21/lake...eze-by-ryerson

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 09-22-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old
09-22-2012, 06:11 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
I was just going to post that. thanks.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:49 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

SMU beats St. FX 2-1 (OT) in opening game of Don Wells Tournament...Acadia/Carleton play tonight.
http://hockeyscene.com/hockeyscene/l...id=2&nid=12729

UQTR beats UPEI 4-1
http://hockeyscene.com/hockeyscene/l...id=2&nid=12727

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 09-22-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old
09-22-2012, 07:36 PM
timbitca

Didn't think UQTR would come in here and take two from UPEI just like that. But then again, UPEI has been depleted quite a bit by players leaving, that's too bad.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:03 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Wild ending to the Acadia/Carleton...5 goals in the 3rd period...Acadia took 4-3 lead with 6 minutes left, Ravens tied in shortly after...Acadia went up 5-4 with just over a minute left, Ravens tied it with a second left...Carleton won it 6-5 in SO.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

McGill beat Western 6-2 tonight...I am a bit surprised how well they have started out this year after losing so many top players.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Hadn't really bothered to look at the schedules much, but what's up with UQTR, 3 games this weekend in the AUS and another game in Truro next weekend? Either they have no school this week and a **** ton of money to blow or that's an awful lot of traveling to be doing in a 7-day period.

Either way, I'll likely end up going to one of either the UNB game this sunday or the game in Truro next friday against SMU.

I'm thinking the game against SMU would probably be better. 1) I've seen UNB already once this year and 2) they'll more than likely demolish UQTR as that will be 3 games in 3 nights for them...
This has been the way to do things for UQTR for a couple of years. They don't play games at home but face teams from the OUA on two different weeks.

I think the true test will be this afternoon versus UNB. Then we'll see what they're made of, and how the having a new coach might make them much better.

Quote:
McGill beat Western 6-2 tonight...I am a bit surprised how well they have started out this year after losing so many top players.
Well, with the kind of recruiting they had this year, I'm not that surprised. Can't believe what they're gonna look like next year with Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll in the squad.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote