HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Episode V: The Lockout Strikes Back

Old
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I'm not home but there is an article by Randy J Miller about the tourney. Hartnell is pretty pissed, especially since he has been doing charity stuff for Snider all summer, including last week.
It's a bit odd, but I'm guessing that the fine would be prohibitive. I don't think Snider is one of the owners driving this, so I'd be a bit surprised if he arbitrarily pulled out.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Broad Street Elite

From my perspective, pulling out of a charity event over a labor dispute is despicable. The Flyers brass should be embarrassed that they were so easily cowed by the NHL. Frankly, I would have just told the NHL to shove it and if they care to make a huge issue about it, they eat the negative press associated.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
It's a bit odd, but I'm guessing that the fine would be prohibitive. I don't think Snider is one of the owners driving this, so I'd be a bit surprised if he arbitrarily pulled out.
I think he might be because part of the issue as I understand because owners of teams that make a decent amount of money like the Flyers don't want to share revenue with the teams that are hurting financially.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Heard on radio here that Chevy was eating at Earls and a player showed up and they were not allowed to be in same restaurant at same time, so the player left per NHL rules. That has to be made up story no ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I've literally never wanted Eklund to be right about anything else more than this

Quote:
Big picture is this....despite the ridiculousness of it all we are NOT looking at a cancelled NHL season in 12-13. This will be a very short lockout. Very short. In fact, where I once believed we wouldn't be playing until end of November I now believe we will be playing in October and may not even miss a single regular season game...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'd be really surprised if we lost games past October. The league has the Winter Classic to worry about now, and they MUST realize they'll lose money for years by killing a season.

09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I'd be really surprised if we lost games past October. The league has the Winter Classic to worry about now, and they MUST realize they'll lose money for years by killing a season.
My sanity hopes you're right...

If the lockout lasts past October, you're my scapegoat, fish-beef.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Bill Daly commented it on a radio station yesterday and I've posted it on here a few times..

The league won't actually lose that much money from losing the winter classic. They will get back all of their money except for a nonrefundable 100k deposit for the stadium.

Daly said they'd lose more money from the first saturday games than they the winter classic if they were to miss both

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Bill Daly commented it on a radio station yesterday and I've posted it on here a few times..

The league won't actually lose that much money from losing the winter classic. They will get back all of their money except for a nonrefundable 100k deposit for the stadium.

Daly said they'd lose more money from the first saturday games than they the winter classic if they were to miss both
That sucks, I expected more deposit would be involved. I also forgot that they haven't spent any money on advertising yet.

Either way, in the long run I imagine the money lost while the league recovers from a dead season will end up costing more than whatever percentage they're trying to eke from the players.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
That sucks, I expected more deposit would be involved. I also forgot that they haven't spent any money on advertising yet.

Either way, in the long run I imagine the money lost while the league recovers from a dead season will end up costing more than whatever percentage they're trying to eke from the players.
Maybe actual dollars isn't much, but promoting the hell out of a HBO series involving 2 of the biggest franchises in the NHL will hurt the NHL in the long run if they cancel game.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

For a list of injured players getting paid during the lockout via Bob:

Quote:
List of injured players who will be paid during lockout (as long as they're injured) and have access to club facilities/trainers is notable.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...91606627381248

Quote:
Includes Pronger, Meszaros, Lilja in PHI, Ohlund and Tyrell in TB, Gaborik and Sauer with NYR, Bogosian in WPG, Poti in WSH amongst others.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...91999679795200

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:06 AM
mirimon

Since it appears we'll have to settle with watching AHL hockey for a while, here's some news from that league; former Flyer Jon Kalinski has signed an AHL contract with the Hershey Bears, joining up with former Phantoms Kevin Marshall, Ryan Potulny, Boyd Kane and Matt Clackson. I always liked Kalinski, hopefully he can get his career back on track after a couple of rough years.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
El Emperor

Quote:

They certainly won't lose the spent money beyond that 100k, but the money made in profits is still A LOT money lost.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

It's rumoured Bryz will sign with CSKA Moscow.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Ilya Bryzgalov, Danny Briere, Scott Hartnell, Matt Read, Jody Shelley, Nick Grossmann, Erik Gustafsson, Kimmo Timonen, Oliver Lauridsen, Niko Hovinen, and Justin Williams were all practicing together yesterday at the Skate Zone in Voorhees.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Krishna

I'm guessing they rented the ice time theirselves?

Old
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Krishna

Oh, I never posted about it when I first saw it but, Ovechkin's insurance is costing his team 100k a month.. That's a lot..

Old
09-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
I'm guessing they rented the ice time theirselves?
Correct.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Justin Williams? Wow. I think I heard Boucher was out there as well.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I think more players should do this, and hopefully shows that the players REALLY DO want to play. Even if they spend their own money to do so.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Krishna

Old
09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
I wish we used goal song as our goal song and not doop.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Refresh my mind, is it true that every team has the same advantage of being picked first overall after the draft or do some have a higher percentage because of the lockout? Or am I thinking of something else?

If it's true, if we did get #1, wouldn't you think the Flyers would pick Jones, no questions asked?

Old
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Refresh my mind, is it true that every team has the same advantage of being picked first overall after the draft or do some have a higher percentage because of the lockout? Or am I thinking of something else?

If it's true, if we did get #1, wouldn't you think the Flyers would pick Jones, no questions asked?
Depends on how the lottery is.. But here's how it was in 2005 :

Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years.

Each team started with 3 balls and lost one for each of the playoff appearances or first overall draft picks with a minimum number of balls being 1.

So here would be the 2012 lottery numbers

And if the flyers were to get it, I'd prefer if they traded down to number 2 to get Jones plus whatever they can get since Mackinnon will more than likely go first overall

Old
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Depends on how the lottery is.. But here's how it was in 2005 :

Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years.

Each team started with 3 balls and lost one for each of the playoff appearances or first overall draft picks with a minimum number of balls being 1.

So here would be the 2012 lottery numbers

And if the flyers were to get it, I'd prefer if they traded down to number 2 to get Jones plus whatever they can get since Mackinnon will more than likely go first overall
Honestly, I know MacKinnon is supposed to be an amazing player, but I hope to god we don't pick him. But if we do get 1st overall, we really should trade down. Are there any other D-men we should really look at for the 2013 outside of Jones?