HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Sens Staff Faces Layoffs, Reduced Work Week Early In Lockout

Old
09-17-2012, 09:05 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
"Sens Staff Faces Layoffs, Reduced Work Week Early In Lockout

TSN.ca is reporting the Sens have started cutting costs due to the lockout:

Quote:
Senators president Cyril Leeder met with members of the Ottawa media Monday afternoon, saying layoffs have taken place and full-time staff have been placed on a reduced work week.

"Every full-time, every part-time employee is affected by a work stoppage," Leeder said. "On the full-time employees they've either been laid off temporarily or gone to a four-day work week."

Leeder wouldn't say exactly how many people have been laid off, but that "it was a significant number" and "more than ten." The Senators have 170 full-time employees.

"This really is the area that I worry about the most," Leeder said. "It's not good for anybody when we have a work stoppage and the people most affected are our staff here."
As a former employe of the team (and a recent one, at that), it sucks that I know a lot of the people who are going to get affected by this.

People like saying that "the fans are the real losers in a lockout"... to which I'd like to point at the people who actually depend on there being a hockey season to pay their mortgages and buy their groceries. They are the real losers in all this.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Yep. This sucks.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

It's awful.

I know people who are working for the Scotiabank Place and the Ottawa Senators and it's ******** because it's something they aren't choosing.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Makes me sick that while millionaires fight over getting a larger slice of a billion dollar industry, people who make average pay and depend on the league to feed their families are the ones affected.

the NHL is a joke

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Makes me sick that while millionaires fight over getting a larger slice of a billion dollar industry, people who make average pay and depend on the league to feed their families are the ones affected.

the NHL is a joke
Yup.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:05 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:

the NHL is a joke
Agreed.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:25 AM
BigEyedPhish

Lets go BRONCOS!!!!!!

IF someone can make a Bronco themed(colored) Karlsson and Manning Avatar I would about....

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:30 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:

the NHL is a joke
Professional Leagues are a joke, look at the NFL officiating this year with the replacements its LOL!!!!

You think the NHL is bad holy ****in hell...

I expect the Referee thing goes on till games start to actually REALLY matter for the playoffs(which is when the fans might actually get pissed off with the officiating otherwise we will all be glued to our TV in the Playoffs).

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:58 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

It's too bad there is no union formed for staff members amongst the NHL. It's one thing that most are probably being paid minimum wage, it's another that they have no financial support from them in the event of a lockout.

Billionaires fighting with Millionaires, yet how much would it cost each team to keep their staff/fans working for them financially supported?

09-18-2012, 05:39 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

This may end up being a dumb question but... What about the Sens scouting staff? Are they locked out as well? Can they still do there job or are they sitting at home as well?

Considering the last lockout lasted a year yet there was still a draft I would think they'd still have scouts working on some scale, no? Or maybe thats why we ended up with Brian Lee that year

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
HappyDude
Classless

Quote:

the NHL is a joke
Who makes the NHL a Billion Dollar industry? The very people that pay ridiculous amounts of money to go to games and to buy the merchandise.

I implore you; buy no merchandise! watch games exclusively at home! Be a part of the wave that makes this industry crumble in ruin! Make it so there is no pie left for them to fight over and they will come together, hand in hand, Bettman and Fehr, to rebuild. From the ashes a pheonix rises and its name is the NHL!

But seriously people are dumb enough to keep pumping money into the NHL and why? Because they NEED it, people are addicted to hockey and the league knows this. So it doesnt matter if they screw around all the time.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
TSN.ca is reporting the Sens have started cutting costs due to the lockout:

As a former employe of the team (and a recent one, at that), it sucks that I know a lot of the people who are going to get affected by this.

People like saying that "the fans are the real losers in a lockout"... to which I'd like to point at the people who actually depend on there being a hockey season to pay their mortgages and buy their groceries. They are the real losers in all this.
You're right; the fans lose out on entertainment but the employees lose their jobs.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:15 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Lets go BRONCOS!!!!!!

IF someone can make a Bronco themed(colored) Karlsson and Manning Avatar I would about....

This comment was certainly appropriate for this thread...

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
This may end up being a dumb question but... What about the Sens scouting staff? Are they locked out as well? Can they still do there job or are they sitting at home as well?

Considering the last lockout lasted a year yet there was still a draft I would think they'd still have scouts working on some scale, no? Or maybe thats why we ended up with Brian Lee that year
No they're not part if the NHLPA so they are not locked out like sales people are not locked out.

Scouts will be doing their regular jobs for sure. Even if the season gets canceled there should still be a draft.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
No they're not part if the NHLPA so they are not locked out like sales people are not locked out.

Scouts will be doing their regular jobs for sure. Even if the season gets canceled there should still be a draft.
True but there are also alot of sales people being layed off or having hours limited as far as I know, wondering if its the same for the scouts, like perhaps they limit the number out there, or hours payed etc...

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
They won't lay off the scouts. As much as you want to reduce your employee's salaries, you need to keep scouting to stay on par with the other teams in terms of scouting young players.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Ron Jeremy

What's taking so long for back to work legislation? The economy is being seriously affected here.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Ouroboros

I heard an interview with Doug MacLean a few days ago in which he said that many teams are slashing the salaries of their scouts by as much as 25% during the lockout.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:14 PM
tony d
The franchise

These are the people you feel for. Hopefully this lockout will be a short 1 and these people can get back to work.

09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284
I wonder how this will affect(effect?) Sens store employees....

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
I wonder how this will affect(effect?) Sens store employees....
Probably won't at all. Every time I go there, only one person is working and I assume they already get minimum wage.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
I heard an interview with Doug MacLean a few days ago in which he said that many teams are slashing the salaries of their scouts by as much as 25% during the lockout.
A team full of pissed off scouts can't be good.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:

the NHL is a joke
It's the player's fault

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Probably won't at all. Every time I go there, only one person is working and I assume they already get minimum wage.
During game day they have a few cashes open and another few people roaming the store to help out. They'll probably get less shifts with the lockout because it won't ever be as busy as it was during game time.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
During game day they have a few cashes open and another few people roaming the store to help out. They'll probably get less shifts with the lockout because it won't ever be as busy as it was during game time.
ok it'll probably stay the same as summer hours then and summer shifts.