HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
I definitely don't want to put a damper on any Lindberg expectations, I've not seen him once this season (edit: besides at the rookie camp natrually). And last season he was just 19 y/o when the puck was dropped (turned 20 in late October) and centered a lower line on a very good team in a very decent hockey league (The state of the SEL is another topic. I am not quite sure how good it really is nowadays...).

From my point of view, this far into his career, I definitely love his attitude on the ice. He is a hockey player, a very stubborn one, who focus on the right things shift after shift after shift, game in and game out. He has the mentality of say a John Madden if you get what I mean. John Madden used to say that his biggest strength was that he woke up pissed off in the morning and that that never wore of during the day. Like, hockey players are usually pretty focused and determined on the ice, but there is still a cathegory of players who constantly manage to suprise/catch of guard other players on the ice, with their determination and stubborness. Lindberg is definitely a prototype of a player like that.

He is not a goto player offensively, nor really any kind of typical complimentary type of player offensively either. But he got decent tools across the board, I would have guessed that he would have like scored at a PPG or a little under in the CHL had he played there last season.

What is important to remember though, is that "statistically"/"typically", it is definitely unusual for a player like Lindberg to make it to the NHL and have a long career in the big league. That just needs to be kept in mind. If you look at any Swede who was a 3rd line or 4th line center in the NHL for a considerable amount of time, they all were more offensiveminded and skilled than Lindberg early in their careers, and grew into the lower line role in the NHL. From Påhlsson to Erixon to Eklund and co.

Skating is also not a big strength for Oscar Lindberg. Looking across the league, the Swedes that makes it often seperates themselves from the competion with having very good intensity in their skating and puck handling ability. From Marcus Johansson in Washington to Marcus Kreuger in Chicago. Looking back like 10 years, I can't think many Swedish forward who made it to the NHL without being a very good skater and being very good with the puck. And if there are any exceptions its "sniper" types. Joel Lundqvist comes to mind when talking about these types, but there aren't many other examples though.

All I am saying is that if you look at a player type like Jesper Fasth, its very easy to draw the conclusion that there is a steady stream of players from Sweden making it to the NHL on a yearly basis. Marcus Johansson, Kreuger, Hagelin, Wandell, Nyqvist, Bergfors to name a few recent examples. When a player like Fasth seperates himself from the rest in "that" pipeline, its easy to draw a conclusion that he is the next to follow in line.

I like Lindberg. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't rule out that he could become a Mike Ricci type of center. Even a 3rd lineer. He'll have to travel a long and bumpy road to get there though. The bottom line is that I wouldn't slot Lindberg in as a 4th line C 1 or 2 years down the road, while I might do just that with Fasth. And regards Fasth, I wouldn't hold him in the cathegory of "can't" miss players just yet. But he is closing in on that position.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:08 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Oscar Lindberg can most definitely carve out a role as a Jeff Halpern type of player in the NHL. Excellent on draws and sound defensively while chipping in the occasional goal. The guy was killing it last season until he got injured. He's one of the few prospects on the team I haven't seen play in some shape or form, but from what I've read everything about him screams elite 4th line/ solid 3rd line NHL center.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Oscar Lindberg can most definitely carve out a role as a Jeff Halpern type of player in the NHL. Excellent on draws and sound defensively while chipping in the occasional goal. The guy was killing it last season until he got injured. He's one of the few prospects on the team I haven't seen play in some shape or form, but from what I've read everything about him screams elite 4th line/ solid 3rd line NHL center.
You are definitely thinking of Fasth who was killing it early last season before getting injured. Lindberg was 5+5 for 46 last season.

An alright year for a 19-20 y/o in the SEL. No doubt about it.

Your description of him is spot on though.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
It's unclear at this point if Spelling and Andersson will start with their SEL teams or the J20 teams.

I'd guess Spelling starts with the senior club, and Andersson with his junior club. I'll update things in the first post when we find out.

It's just pain.
Old
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
NYR Viper

I think people are selling Lindberg short. He may not light the world on fire offensively but he isn't a blackhole either. He is strong on his skates, good positionally and can play on the PK on top of being good in the face-off circle. I would say he has more than a decent shot of becoming a 3rd line center in the NHL.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Sep 14, 2012 9:07a

Rangers have signed Michael St. Croix. 3 year / $575 000 avg + 270 000 SB (2 way)

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/stat...95996069535744

Old
09-14-2012, 09:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

MSC popped up on the Rangers roster yesterday. That was an indication something was up. Players are afraid the NHL changes in entry level will come into play with all unsigned picks not only players taken in the next CBA.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think people are selling Lindberg short. He may not light the world on fire offensively but he isn't a blackhole either. He is strong on his skates, good positionally and can play on the PK on top of being good in the face-off circle. I would say he has more than a decent shot of becoming a 3rd line center in the NHL.
I hope he can be like a Jacob Josefson.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You are definitely thinking of Fasth who was killing it early last season before getting injured. Lindberg was 5+5 for 46 last season.

An alright year for a 19-20 y/o in the SEL. No doubt about it.

Your description of him is spot on though.
Unfortunately it was both guys.

Lindberg was at a PPG or maybe even higher in like 5 preseason games. Then he missed a few to injury and was back on the bottom 6.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Piodale

Oscar Lindberg - playing on the 3rd line according to Swehockey.se - had a primary assist on Skellefteås first goal (PP) of the night on Saturday. I believe he finished the game with -1, as it seems he was on the ice for Luleås 2-2 goal. Skellefteå conceded one more in the game, losing 2-3.

Jesper Fasths HV71 won 2-1, without JF contributing on the scoresheet. It seems he played on the 2nd line.

As already mentioned Thomas Spelling has yet to be in action for Rögle Elitserie-team. But he did play for their U20-team on the 1st line in a 3-4 defeat against Färjestads U20. No points for Spelling who I believe finished the match a -1.

More interesting in the game was Calle Anderson, scoring the go ahead 3-2 goal 48 seconds into the 3rd period, and then the 4-3 game winner with 5:24 remaining of the match. He also had a primary assist on Färjestads´ second goal of the night scoring on the power play. I believe he finished a +1.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Kershaw

Fasth's team (HV71) plays against Lindberg's team (Skellefteå) on Thursday.

I think there will be a stream up too...

Last edited by Kershaw: 09-17-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old
09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piodale View Post
More interesting in the game was Calle Anderson, scoring the go ahead 3-2 goal 48 seconds into the 3rd period, and then the 4-3 game winner with 5:24 remaining of the match. He also had a primary assist on Färjestads´ second goal of the night scoring on the power play. I believe he finished a +1.
Andersson is playing with Färjestads under 20 team as well, correct? I don't see him on the main roster and I have hard time believing he will take ice time from their veteran defenders and Klefbom.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know it's premature, but 4pts in 2 games puts him 2nd in league scoring in SEL.... Just saying.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:42 AM
Piodale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Andersson is playing with Färjestads under 20 team as well, correct? I don't see him on the main roster and I have hard time believing he will take ice time from their veteran defenders and Klefbom.
He was against the Røgle U20 team at least. Whether its permanent or not I cant tell you. Was just browsing the stats from the match(es).

Old
09-17-2012, 04:22 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Sep 14, 2012 9:07a

Rangers have signed Michael St. Croix. 3 year / $575 000 avg + 270 000 SB (2 way)

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/stat...95996069535744
How much does he make this year playing in Juniors?

Old
09-17-2012, 06:27 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How much does he make this year playing in Juniors?
He gets his signing bonus. No idea what he gets for playing in juniors. It's not part of his Ranger contract. Junior players don't get much though. Far less I'm sure that what he would get in the AHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He gets his signing bonus. No idea what he gets for playing in juniors. It's not part of his Ranger contract. Junior players don't get much though. Far less I'm sure that what he would get in the AHL.
I believe junior players receive some kind of small-ish stipend that is basically meant to cover living expenses. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

RANGERS =
Old
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yeah, he's in the J20. I keep track of where they are in the first post of this thread. He's played two games down there so far.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I believe junior players receive some kind of small-ish stipend that is basically meant to cover living expenses. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.
$100 every 2 weeks I believe

Old
09-18-2012, 06:39 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
$100 every 2 weeks I believe
And that massive amount disqualifies them to play in the NCAA lol.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
St. Croix tweeted a picture of his WHL Championship ring this morning. Pretty sick.

https://twitter.com/WHLFromAbove/sta.../photo/1/large

And another Rangers prospect is set to kickoff the new season with a new team in the WHL. Shane McColgan practiced with the Blades for the first time in a couple weeks after suffering a minor knee injury in an intrasquad game a while back. He said it felt awesome to be back on the ice again. He'll be in the lineup on Friday when the Blades kick off the season.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Calle Andersson is making a push for a call-up to Färjestad's SEL team. He has played 3 games, registering 4 goals and 3 assists with a +3. Small sample, but pretty impressive for a defenseman.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Fasth on the third line again tonight. He's centered by William Karlsson, a second round pick by Anaheim in 2011. He's behind a guy named Oscar Sundh, and Marcus Nilson.

EDIT: Finished scoreless.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 09-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 05:39 PM
cwede

Hobbs to Whale?

maybe this is cited here already, sorry if this is old news to you

found this via EliteProspects

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports...091012aaa.html
Hobbs Signs With Connecticut Whale
The former Minuteman forward inked a one-way AHL deal this summer.

AMHERST, Mass. - Former UMass hockey forward Danny Hobbs signed a one-way American Hockey League contract last month with the Connecticut Whale, AHL affiliate of the New York Rangers. Hobbs, who was selected by the Rangers in the seventh round of the NHL Entry Draft in 2007, completed his senior season with the Minutemen in 2011-12.

Hobbs finished his career at UMass with 63 points on 28 goals and 35 assists over 120 games. As a junior in 2010-11, Hobbs posted a career-best 28 points, which included five power play goals and two game-winners.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:36 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

St. Croix with a goal and an assist tonight in a 5-3 win. Peter Ceresnak pointless and minus 1 in a 5-2 loss.

Closed Thread