HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gillis: Potential Return For Luongo May Not Improve Canucks **Mod Warning #86**

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Frankly, I'd do Lupul for Lu straight. Sure we take a risk but I am confident in Gillis' ability to sign important players. Lupul would be excellent on Kesler's line and take the pressure away from him being a one man army. That said, I doubt Toronto trades him.

*ahem*
Doubt? I'd pretty much gurantee it. Lupul brings the best out of Kessel, not to mention he had a Hell of a year himself. If he is dealt, we are back to square 1 with Kessel, lots of skill, but no linemates to share it with.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Why would a rich man go to the "worst team in pro sports" and live in Toronto?
Well, i guess not having fans crap in his helmet after carrying the team on his back might be appealling.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I don't know, but we've got time to figure it out. Patience is a virtue and there is no need to speed up our rebuild because a 33 year old goalie with a bad contract is available today.
Patience.....patience......8 years and counting of.....patience.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's also reasonable that another goalie similar to Luongo will become available at a cheaper price with less risk or with better long term value.
Unless you get one of the FA, I can't see a goalie of Luongo's caliber to be available for cheap. Kadri and a 1st won't cut it if you're looking for a goalie with these conditions.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:10 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Unless you get one of the FA, I can't see a goalie of Luongo's caliber to be available for cheap. Kadri and a 1st won't cut it if you're looking for a goalie with these conditions.
Backstrom might come cheap given the Wild cap situation. Not saying he is as good as Luongo but it's close.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Backstrom might come cheap given the Wild cap situation. Not saying he is as good as Luongo but it's close.
Similar to Vokoun, why would he sign with Toronto and not a contender like Chicago?

Not to mention Luongo will likely give Toronto a longer period of quality goaltending.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Similar to Vokoun, why would he sign with Toronto and not a contender like Chicago?

Not to mention Luongo will likely give Toronto a longer period of quality goaltending.
A. Bowman wouldn't want him. He loves the Crawford/Emery tandem. Emery will likely be resigned and Crawford has another year left after this one. We could have had Vokoun this time but didn't want him. He chose to be a backup in Pittsburgh.

B. A year from now, I don't know if he would see the Leafs as less of a contender than the Hawks. The Leafs would pay him more, that's for sure. They'll probably go hard after Perry too.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Doubt? I'd pretty much gurantee it. Lupul brings the best out of Kessel, not to mention he had a Hell of a year himself. If he is dealt, we are back to square 1 with Kessel, lots of skill, but no linemates to share it with.
Toronto just acquired JVR this year. Bozak seemed to click with Kessel, and you still have Grabovski. Not the most exciting forward group on paper, but offense wasn't the Leafs weakness.

If JVR can be the reason the Leafs move another forward for a goalie I think it's a good move for Toronto. Similar to how the emergence of Schneider has made Luongo expendable for offense help.

09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Toronto just acquired JVR this year. Bozak seemed to click with Kessel, and you still have Grabovski. Not the most exciting forward group on paper, but offense wasn't the Leafs weakness.

If JVR can be the reason the Leafs move another forward for a goalie I think it's a good move for Toronto. Similar to how the emergence of Schneider has made Luongo expendable for offense help.
Well, maybe after we see JVR play that will become an option. But right now, it's not. Bozak and Grabo are both C's and Grabo didn't click with Kessel. The Leafs CAN move a forward, just not 1 off of the top line.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Same question would be asked of Luongo. Why would he waive for Toronto and not a contender like Chicago? It makes far more sense for Chicago or San Jose or another contender to pay a fair price for Luongo than it does for Toronto.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
drmagg

Re: as it should be.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
A. Bowman wouldn't want him. He loves the Crawford/Emery tandem. Emery will likely be resigned and Crawford has another year left after this one. We could have had Vokoun this time but didn't want him. He chose to be a backup in Pittsburgh.

B. A year from now, I don't know if he would see the Leafs as less of a contender than the Hawks. The Leafs would pay him more, that's for sure. They'll probably go hard after Perry too.
A. There are still other options for Backstrom, like San Jose, or a 1A/1B with Bryzgalov.

B. Backstrom likely only has 2-3 good years left; the Leafs don't need a stop gap, they need someone who will actually be their starter for the next 5+ years.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post

It's not just about what is available for cheap though. It's about how many years of service you can get. Luongo offers 3 years of really good goaltending, and then what? You've given up a 21 year old top 7 pick and a 1st, or whatever quality fits, to have Luongo starting to decline just as our young defenceman start to contribute. If you trade young assets like Kadri and a 1st, you need to get more than 3 -5 years out of Luongo, unless it immediately makes you a cup contender, which it doesn't.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Same question would be asked of Luongo. Why would he waive for Toronto and not a contender like Chicago? It makes far more sense for Chicago or San Jose or another contender to pay a fair price for Luongo than it does for Toronto.
Luongo said the most important thing to him is to be the starter in a place with a passionate fanbase(when asked about Toronto or Chicago). Toronto is trending up, while San Jose is trending down, and it's unlikely he goes to Chicago(and he knows that.)

Old
09-18-2012, 11:43 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
A. There are still other options for Backstrom, like San Jose, or a 1A/1B with Bryzgalov.

B. Backstrom likely only has 2-3 good years left; the Leafs don't need a stop gap, they need someone who will actually be their starter for the next 5+ years.
I disagree. Burke needs to get that team winning quick to stick around. Backstrom would help that cause a lot.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

A stop gap like Backstrom, while keeping Kadri and our 1st makes far more sense than Kadri and a 1st for Luongo.

I'm not exactly sure what Minny needs, but we could easily give them some depth to support Heatley, Parise and Suter for their $6 000 000 goalie. Heck, even Clemmensen or Theodore would be fine to support our young goalies.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Luongo said the most important thing to him is to be the starter in a place with a passionate fanbase(when asked about Toronto or Chicago). Toronto is trending up, while San Jose is trending down, and it's unlikely he goes to Chicago(and he knows that.)
IMHO San Jose is a perfect fit for Luongo,, money aside.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
A stop gap like Backstrom, while keeping Kadri and our 1st makes far more sense than Kadri and a 1st for Luongo.

I'm not exactly sure what Minny needs, but we could easily give them some depth to support Heatley, Parise and Suter for their $6 000 000 goalie. Heck, even Clemmensen or Theodore would be fine to support our young goalies.
I'll agree with you. Although, i would deal Kadri+ (not the 1st) for Luongo. His skill is superior. That being said, a reputable vet to split with Reimer is okay with me.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:

Backstrom, Theodore, and Clemmensen at 35-36 are much less likely to be good goaltenders as Luongo would be at 33. And Theodore/Clemmensen won't be available until the year after next, at least(and if Luongo goes to Florida and we get one back to backup Schneider it would take evn longer). And Minnesota fans aren't exactly going to trade Backstrom for Macarthur+2nd. Not to mention Luongo's cap hit is 700k cheaper.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
IMHO San Jose is a perfect fit for Luongo,, money aside.
Sharks fans claim their GM has a personal vendetta against any cap circumvention contract, and would never ever trade for one. Also, their prospect pool is very thin, and as a contender they wouldn't want to give up roster pieces.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:04 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Sharks fans claim their GM has a personal vendetta against any cap circumvention contract, and would never ever trade for one. Also, their prospect pool is very thin, and as a contender they wouldn't want to give up roster pieces.
When I said "money aside" I figured people would recognize I meant money/contract etc.

Oh, hey, and did you know how Burke feels about circumvention contracts?

Old
09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
And Minnesota fans aren't exactly going to trade Backstrom for Macarthur+2nd. Not to mention Luongo's cap hit is 700k cheaper.
Lol, it's not about Minny fans, obviously they'd like to keep him, but a $6 000 000 back-up is an issue if the cap comes down.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
When I said "money aside" I figured people would recognize I meant money/contract etc.

He's willing to make an offer, at least. There have been rumours about Schenn for Luongo at the draft, and they've been seen talking. Wilson hasn't done anything of the sort. Also, they do not have enough futures to make a Luongo trade viable from their end.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

Yup, he said he would never GIVE one, he's also said he's not adverse to aquiring one.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Limit reached.

Feel free to start a new Luongo thread, as this one's now closed.