HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XIX)

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

vCash: 500
The only games I'd say Marty's brutal goaltending cost us this year were Toronto his first game back from injury in November. That was embarrassing. About 3 of the 5 goals they scored were incredibly weak. The Calgary game where Moose came in, and was just as laughable.

The Toronto game later in the season at home in March was not good at all. He wasn't good in the shootout, and one goal I might blame on him during regulation.

There was a game against Ottawa around New Years. Marty gave up a very weak shorthanded goal against Ottawa. It was a really bad goal. It was putrid, and incredibly soft. I think it went through his arm, and body. Worst goal of last year he gave up I'd say. We lost that game in OT. However the only reason we went to OT was because Marty kept us in that game so it cancels itself out.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The only games I'd say Marty's brutal goaltending cost us this year were Toronto his first game back from injury in November. That was embarrassing. About 3 of the 5 goals they scored were incredibly weak. The Calgary game where Moose came in, and was just as laughable.

The Toronto game later in the season at home in March was not good at all. He wasn't good in the shootout, and one goal I might blame on him during regulation.

There was a game against Ottawa around New Years. Marty gave up a very weak shorthanded goal against Ottawa. It was a really bad goal. It was putrid, and incredibly soft. I think it went through his arm, and body. Worst goal of last year he gave up I'd say. We lost that game in OT. However the only reason we went to OT was because Marty kept us in that game so it cancels itself out.
Worst goal he gave up all year?

I think you should take that one back. Remember the first goal against Ottawa in the season finale.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Worst goal he gave up all year?

I think you should take that one back. Remember the first goal against Ottawa in the season finale.
That was more of a gaffe though. He misplayed it if I remember correctly. The one from the 03 SCF was even worse!

Old
09-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Kensu

that Calgary game was the worst.. wasn't it like 6 goals on like 12 shots rofl?

Old
09-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
That was more of a gaffe though. He misplayed it if I remember correctly. The one from the 03 SCF was even worse!
Was still a really ****** goal.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:

Nope. This one makes a pretty good case, though.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
Yeah and Marty actually ended the night with a better save percentage than Hedberg.

That goal on the last day of the season wasn't even as bad as the one he scored on himself in the 03 Finals either.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Nope. This one makes a pretty good case, though.

hahah...i was there. it ended pretty great iirc

Old
09-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

That game also had this gem

Old
09-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Gio's first goal, and the game winner! My favorite part of that game! Though the 5 on 1 PP goal was pretty cool. I actually thought they would somehow botch that one up!

Old
09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post

I want him back, Dammit

Old
09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
Tallinder was REALLY BAD in that game. I'm pretty sure most on the board here were critical of him that night too. Pretty sure that's when he was still paired with Fayne too. That pairing was really bad.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I am sorry but this just is not true
Agreed. On some nights he can play like a top 5 top 10 goalie but he's very middle of the road now.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Pretty sure Marty was top 5 if not top 6/7 post ASB as far as save percentage goes. And GAA too I believe. He was pretty consistent from all star break to the end of the playoffs. A couple bad games here, and there. All of his shutouts came then as well as many 1 goal games. He was better than Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Thomas, and many others.

Only ones better were Miller, Ward, Lehtonen, and Bryz was around the same and he also had a bad season pre ASB. The only other ones with a better save percentage had quite a few less starts, and games played than Brodeur.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Pretty sure Marty was top 5 if not top 6/7 post ASB as far as save percentage goes. And GAA too I believe. He was pretty consistent from all star break to the end of the playoffs. A couple bad games here, and there. All of his shutouts came then as well as many 1 goal games. He was better than Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Thomas, and many others.

Only ones better were Miller, Ward, Lehtonen, and Bryz was around the same and he also had a bad season pre ASB. The only other ones with a better save percentage had quite a few less starts, and games played than Brodeur.
Brodeur was good when we needed him to be, and that's all that you can ask for IMO. Unless he isn't brutally bad then that's really all we need of him.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Marty was certainly inconsistent during the regular season, mostly during the first half. But aside for the first few games, he was sensational in the playoffs. I didn't think he had it in him to play like that again.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Marty was certainly inconsistent during the regular season, mostly during the first half. But aside for the first few games, he was sensational in the playoffs. I didn't think he had it in him to play like that again.
I thought he would break down at any time, and he never did. And no game 6 when he gave up 5 goals was not breaking down. He's the reason we won the 2 games in the SCF. He certainly didn't carry us all the way like Smith did for Phoenix or like Lundqvist did for the Rangers at times, but he did steal us a few games. We were incredibly close to blowing game 6 in the ECF in the 2nd and 3rd periods, and we were dangerously close to seeing the Kings skate the Cup on our ice in game 5.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Zippy316

Anyone else thinking of buying the online thing to watch AHL games?

Depending on how long the lockout is, I think I might asky my parents to buy it month-by-month, just to give me some kind of hockey to watch lol.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:

Depending on how long the lockout is, I think I might asky my parents to buy it month-by-month, just to give me some kind of hockey to watch lol.
Perhaps I will. If there is no season by Thanksgiving, and Christmas though I can say I won't be going home to Jersey for the Holidays. I'll probably just go visit my buddy in Denver again!

How much does it cost per month? I hate watching love stuff online, and paying for it cause the computer is so unreliable sometimes. I'd probably do it though.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:

Nope. I'll stream it if I'm that desperate, but I'm not paying money to watch anything hockey related until the NHL is back.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
I would argue that WINS are the most important measure of goaltender performance. His save percentage may have not been so hot, but his puck handling, decision making, and other "non-save percentage" skills are what makes Marty Marty. His save percentage has never been that stellar, it's his other abilities that make him one of the greatest of all time--and that provide/have provided us with so many wins. I'm not going to argue that his abilities have diminished as he's gotten older, but he is still above average at helping provide wins to the team.
Wins can't be the best measure, because as ZBC said, that depends on goal support. Back when LA couldn't score worth a damn, Quick was losing games 1-0 all over the place. That didn't adequately reflect his performance in those games.

Marty is definitely more than just his save percentage, but the wins argument is not the way to prove his value.

Quote:

One of my favourite goals from last season. I still can't figure out what the hell Alfredsson was doing there.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Never gets old

Old
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Nope. I'll stream it if I'm that desperate, but I'm not paying money to watch anything hockey related until the NHL is back.
Amen. I just packed away all my Devil, Whaler and any other related NHL clothes away and won't spend a penny on the league until it's over. Left my wardrobe a little bare though

Old
09-18-2012, 12:53 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Amen. I just packed away all my Devil, Whaler and any other related NHL clothes away and won't spend a penny on the league until it's over. Left my wardrobe a little bare though
I just left mine up. Half my crap would be gone if I packed it away lol.

I only wear work clothes lately anyway...

Old
09-18-2012, 01:01 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Never gets old

thanks for reminding me

Closed Thread