HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Time to Rebuild

Old
09-18-2012, 10:19 AM
maryannshabs*

vCash: 500
Time to Rebuild

If there is a season, and predictably the Habs are near the bottom of the standings around the trade deadline, I suggest we rid ourselves of players like Plekanec, Gionta, etc, to contenders needing that one piece they think will get them over the hump come playoff time. This way we get more picks, prospects, to go with the decent draft we finally had this past June. Gainey and Gauthier left us in such a mess, it will take several years to rebuild this once proud franchise into a contender again.

maryannshabs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryannshabs View Post
If there is a season, and predictably the Habs are near the bottom of the standings around the trade deadline, I suggest we rid ourselves of players like Plekanec, Gionta, etc, to contenders needing that one piece they think will get them over the hump come playoff time. This way we get more picks, prospects, to go with the decent draft we finally had this past June. Gainey and Gauthier left us in such a mess, it will take several years to rebuild this once proud franchise into a contender again.
I'd rather keep Pleks for a long time. Unless the return is very,very high.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

You haven't even seen the team play yet, and here we are asking for a rebuild.

Habs fans.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
maryannshabs*

For what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
I'd rather keep Pleks for a long time. Unless the return is very,very high.
A Decent trade would suffice me, what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing?? Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??

Old
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
A Decent trade would suffice me, what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing?? Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??
I suggest you do more research. While some of Timmins picks didn't pan out, he has churned out some very good NHL talent which sadly isn't necessarily playing for the Habs. IMO he's done a remarkable job.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Roulin

Quote:
what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing??
Do you really think that's the best way to evaluate a team's drafting - by looking at wins and losses, lumping the draft in with every other factor?

Quote:
Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??
Higgins-Eller-Leblanc
Chipchura-Lapierre-White

...would have been just fine as a bottom six. Timmins has drafted plenty of quality forwards.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Et le But

The new Ben Maxwell will save us, don't worry.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Odelein24

I remember hearing that Kostitsyn wasn't Timmins' guy (he wanted J. Carter) but he was overruled.

I shed a tear every time I think about a McDonagh/Subban pairing

Odelein24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
I remember hearing that Kostitsyn wasn't Timmins' guy (he wanted J. Carter) but he was overruled.

Isn't it Andre Savard that pushed for Jeff Carter but the Habs scouting said they wanted Kostitsyn instead? I'm pretty sure

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post

It wasn't Timmins, it was Savard.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Plekanec and Gionta are two of the hardest working players in the league, these are the type of guys you want around to help your young guys progress.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Timmins doesn't control which prospects get traded and which prospects get kept. He could provide advice but ultimately, the GM decides who to trade.

Would you be saying this if we kept McDonagh?

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

... tough to say without the benefit of a season to evaluate the individual players and the roster, overall. But if we are loosing it would make sense to liquidate some of these depreciating assets... especially if teams want to offer a lot of value back in return.

That's just standard fare though. One would hope we would do that. There is no sense in keeping a guy like Plekanec if there will be a hot market for his services. We look to finally have some C depth so you go out and try to improve in short term future by way of the trade market using a good chip like him.... it's a business after all.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It wasn't Timmins, it was Savard.
I stand corrected, thank you for setting the record straight!

Odelein24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Do you really think that's the best way to evaluate a team's drafting - by looking at wins and losses, lumping the draft in with every other factor?

Higgins-Eller-Leblanc
Chipchura-Lapierre-White

...would have been just fine as a bottom six. Timmins has drafted plenty of quality forwards.
He didn't draft Higgins and Eller was acquired in a trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He didn't draft Higgins and Eller was acquired in a trade.
...a trade for a spectacular Timmins pick, Halak.

You're right, Higgins was drafted by Savard, but it still goes to show that drafting has not been a problem for the Habs. Contrary to the OP's claim, Armstrong and Prust were not signed because of Montreal's inability to draft depth forwards.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:

You must have a REALLY short memory. When Gainey came into this organization as a GM, the team was in a shambles. Their were issues in all departments, but the number one over riding issue is that the team lacked a legitimate steady hand at the wheel.

They could not get free agents. They could not make trades.

Gainey could be seen as having lacked a steady hand on the wheel in the later part of his time as a manager, but you also have to remember half way through his years, his daughter disappeared and was later confirmed lost at sea. His focus was off, he wanted to quit and was asked to stay. He did, and Gauthier was asked to play a larger role.

I do not think of the Gainey era as a homerun, but it beat the previous two regimes, without a shadow of a doubt.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

this thread feels the same as watching re-runs of Gilligan's island

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
SouthernHab

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237081

Trying to pass 29 pages that the above thread generated.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:09 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237081

Trying to pass 29 pages that the above thread generated.
The only reason you posted that is because you want it BUMPEDed but doesn't want to do it yourself!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:39 AM
CrazyShea

If there's a full season lockout and they do the draft the same way as in 05 we are in a great position to get another lotto pick this year. Having a potential back to back top 5 pick is as close of a rebuild as you will ever see as a habs fan.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
maryannshabs*

Finished Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Plekanec and Gionta are two of the hardest working players in the league, these are the type of guys you want around to help your young guys progress.
I guess we could finish Last in the conference Without these players too.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.
Indeed.

And, frankly, the route of 'blasting out all of its veterans' is a method reserved for fantasy leagues, IMO.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Indeed.

And, frankly, the route of 'blasting out all of its veterans' is a method reserved for fantasy leagues, IMO.
Yes. And in the NHL it's more like "blasting out all of the upcoming UFA's you're not so interested in for picks"
Which we did with Gill and AK, more of a sign that we currently undergoing 'tank'

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote