Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

something i was thinking about

Old
09-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
something i was thinking about

this year irving has to basically play like 27 (idk the real number lol) games or hes a UFA next offseason... if theres no season will he be a UFA or RFA next year?

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
this year irving has to basically play like 27 (idk the real number lol) games or hes a UFA next offseason... if theres no season will he be a UFA or RFA next year?
UFA if I'm not mistaken. Same as a Iginla.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:42 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
UFA if I'm not mistaken. Same as a Iginla.
That's pretty terrible news for us.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Devilspuppet666

damn... we'd better hope he likes calgary, or that the season goes on....

Old
09-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
That's pretty terrible news for us.
Would be devastating with regards to the clubs policy of being competitive now and in the future. Would be interesting to see what happens with Cervenka though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
damn... we'd better hope he likes calgary, or that the season goes on....
Irving's future as a Flame doesn't look promising at all. Even in a shortened, especially in a shortened season, Irving's not going to get the minimum number of games to remain a RFA; Kipper's just going to be given fewer breaks. And with Feaster coming out and saying that Ramo's number two on the depth charts, I'd say he's gone regardless.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:31 AM
tfong

vCash: 500
The 27 games would only be according to the last CBA anyways, so who knows what the new CBA will measure it at.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:19 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Would be devastating with regards to the clubs policy of being competitive now and in the future. Would be interesting to see what happens with Cervenka though.

Irving's future as a Flame doesn't look promising at all. Even in a shortened, especially in a shortened season, Irving's not going to get the minimum number of games to remain a RFA; Kipper's just going to be given fewer breaks. And with Feaster coming out and saying that Ramo's number two on the depth charts, I'd say he's gone regardless.
I would say a year is a very, very long time.

Who's to say that Karri Ramo would come over if Miikka Kiprusoff is still here? On the same token if Miikka is moved at some point then it would open up a gigantic opportunity for Irving.

I seriously doubt there would be a huge number of teams that are willing to give him more of an opportunity than what he can earn Calgary. Kipper would after all be nearly 37 years old should a lockout take the full season. I believe it would come down to offering him a one way contract, which undoubtedly would not be a huge issue if it meant retaining his services or letting him walk all together.

Obviously this is dependent on his individual performance over the next year in whatever league that may end up being.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:23 AM
berto14

Here's a question -- say we end up with a shortened season, lets say half a season for the sake of argument. Does Irving get 27 (or whatever the number is) of a possible 41 starts?

And what qualifies as "playing" in a game anyways? Does he have to play the whole game or can we put him in for like 2 mins at the beginning/end of a bunch of games?

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:12 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Calgary could look to replace Kipper with both Irving and Ramo was a tandem fighting for the number one spot. Kipper could yield a solid return, while the Flames don't have to risk goalie problems post Kipper era

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I would say a year is a very, very long time.

Who's to say that Karri Ramo would come over if Miikka Kiprusoff is still here? On the same token if Miikka is moved at some point then it would open up a gigantic opportunity for Irving.

I seriously doubt there would be a huge number of teams that are willing to give him more of an opportunity than what he can earn Calgary. Kipper would after all be nearly 37 years old should a lockout take the full season. I believe it would come down to offering him a one way contract, which undoubtedly would not be a huge issue if it meant retaining his services or letting him walk all together.

Obviously this is dependent on his individual performance over the next year in whatever league that may end up being.
Well, I was mostly basing it of the fact that Feaster doesn't seem too high on him, but obviously if Irving gets a chance to perform, does well, and gets some sort of assurance the Flames believe he can be a starter, I could see him staying.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:03 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Calgary could look to replace Kipper with both Irving and Ramo was a tandem fighting for the number one spot. Kipper could yield a solid return, while the Flames don't have to risk goalie problems post Kipper era
I think Kipper goes home after this year.. If there is a prolonged lockout, he goes and stays.. He has stated before that he would like to return to Finland and play out the rest of his career there

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:05 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Well, I was mostly basing it of the fact that Feaster doesn't seem too high on him, but obviously if Irving gets a chance to perform, does well, and gets some sort of assurance the Flames believe he can be a starter, I could see him staying.
Idk about him not being high on him.. That's the only time I heard him say something like that, and that was talking about Ramo, not Irving specifically.. Everytime he's talked about Irving he's raved and said he feels he's almost ready to take over and be a starter in the NHL

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I think Kipper goes home after this year.. If there is a prolonged lockout, he goes and stays.. He has stated before that he would like to return to Finland and play out the rest of his career there
and i hear that his deal was build on that fact, he only has 1.5 in 2013-2014, just in case there was a lockout and he were to leave

Fellow flames fan'... we may have see kippers last game in a flames uni on THURSDAY, 5 APRIL 2012 (hope its not true but could be fact)

Old
09-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

You guys know he just has to be dressed for the game right? He doesn't actually have to play in any of them. Backing up Kipper in 27 games would be the same as actually playing in them.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
I think if the organization saw a bright future for him he wouldn't have been backing up Danny Taylor in the AHL playoffs last year. I think the writing is on the wall for Irving unless he performs this year.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:04 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I think if the organization saw a bright future for him he wouldn't have been backing up Danny Taylor in the AHL playoffs last year. I think the writing is on the wall for Irving unless he performs this year.
He was hurt last year after his first call up and his numbers suffered I believe it was a leg injury, he also just had a new born during the year and took a few days off to be there for that. I think they just didn't want to mess with Taylor's success.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
Quote:
You guys know he just has to be dressed for the game right? He doesn't actually have to play in any of them. Backing up Kipper in 27 games would be the same as actually playing in them.
The requirement is linked to the games played statistic, simply being dressed as a backup wouldn't count.

Quote:
Considering he had a knee injury which forced him to sit as the backup, I'd say that writing would be "Get well soon, Irving".

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
If he goes UFA I'd be more concerned with whether he actually wants to stay with the organization where his most recent contract signing was protracted and he ended up being squeezed to some degree.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
TheHudlinator

If he were to leave thats his choose but I think he would be foolish to as the Flames probably have the best or one of the best opportunities for a young goalie to come in and take the starting role in the next year or two.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If he were to leave thats his choose but I think he would be foolish to as the Flames probably have the best or one of the best opportunities for a young goalie to come in and take the starting role in the next year or two.
I'm sure Feaster has made him aware of that. Hopefully Irving can be patient in waiting for a starter position.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm sure Feaster has made him aware of that. Hopefully Irving can be patient in waiting for a starter position.
I think/hope we move Kipper and run with Irving and Ramo next year.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The requirement is linked to the games played statistic, simply being dressed as a backup wouldn't count.

Considering he had a knee injury which forced him to sit as the backup, I'd say that writing would be "Get well soon, Irving".
My bad on the group 6 thing. I assumed it would be tied to drawing an NHL salary.

On the injury front: Irving was healthy and didn't play in the playoffs. According to Troy Ward it was because Danny Taylor was playing better and deserved to be the starter. I think maybe you're thinking of Karlsson. Irving didn't have a knee injury last year. He was just outplayed by Taylor drastically in the regular season (especially toward the end of the year) and so the Heat started him in the playoffs.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
My bad on the group 6 thing. I assumed it would be tied to drawing an NHL salary.

On the injury front: Irving was healthy and didn't play in the playoffs. According to Troy Ward it was because Danny Taylor was playing better and deserved to be the starter. I think maybe you're thinking of Karlsson. Irving didn't have a knee injury last year. He was just outplayed by Taylor drastically in the regular season (especially toward the end of the year) and so the Heat started him in the playoffs.
Irving never lost his starting job to Taylor though. Danny Taylor took over the starting role when Leland began the viscous cycle of being consistently brought up and down from Calgary and Abbotsford. The statistics show that he struggled mightily with the constant assignments and lack of playing time.

Before his initial call up in late December;
27 Games Played, 17 Wins, 9 Losses, 1 SOL, 2.31 GAA, .915 SV%
Remainder of the season;
11 Games Played, 5 Wins, 4 Losses, 1 SOL, 3.75 GAA, .847 SV%

So from essentially the end of December to early May he only played 11 total games in the AHL, and seven in the NHL due to call ups.

To go along with that, the start of the playoffs actually coincided with the birth of his first child. His numbers were indicative of the circumstances he was put under.

Good on Taylor for playing so well at the end of the season, but while he was doing so Leland had gone on to win himself the backup position in Calgary.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Irving never lost his starting job to Taylor though. Danny Taylor took over the starting role when Leland began the viscous cycle of being consistently brought up and down from Calgary and Abbotsford. The statistics show that he struggled mightily with the constant assignments and lack of playing time.

Before his initial call up in late December;
27 Games Played, 17 Wins, 9 Losses, 1 SOL, 2.31 GAA, .915 SV%
Remainder of the season;
11 Games Played, 5 Wins, 4 Losses, 1 SOL, 3.75 GAA, .847 SV%

So from essentially the end of December to early May he only played 11 total games in the AHL, and seven in the NHL due to call ups.

To go along with that, the start of the playoffs actually coincided with the birth of his first child. His numbers were indicative of the circumstances he was put under.

Good on Taylor for playing so well at the end of the season, but while he was doing so Leland had gone on to win himself the backup position in Calgary.
Irving is ridiculously overrated by our fan base. Every year we come up with a new excuse for why he failed to produce again. Most players and people have kids. Iginla has three of them, but it's never been an excuse as to why he hasn't played well. Bottom line, it's 7 years after the draft this year. Irving is awfully close to being a total bust and is still highly regarded by Flame fans for no reason whatsoever. He's had one slightly above average year in the minors and the rest of his work has been extremely suspect.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Irving is ridiculously overrated by our fan base. Every year we come up with a new excuse for why he failed to produce again. Most players and people have kids. Iginla has three of them, but it's never been an excuse as to why he hasn't played well. Bottom line, it's 7 years after the draft this year. Irving is awfully close to being a total bust and is still highly regarded by Flame fans for no reason whatsoever. He's had one slightly above average year in the minors and the rest of his work has been extremely suspect.
I would agree but I don't care what his ahl numbers look like when he was a good nhl goalie in his call up. Look at Holtby his ahl numbers this year were .906 sv% and 2.61 GAA but do you think Washington cares at all? Irving had slightly worse numbers this year with his injury without his injury he has much better numbers. I think he has shown he is nhl ready.