HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I in the Eye

vCash: 500
Luongo: "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
"We're going to do our best to make sure that Roberto is taken care of whether he is here or somewhere else," Gillis said. "We're going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours."

If necessary, the GM said, Schneider and Luongo will compete for No. 1 status in camp.

Luongo indicated he does not have a problem with that scenario.
Please continue...

Old
09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I think the best scenario for the Canucks is to hold on to both Luongo and Schneider and wait for a trade that helps our offense to come to us. Last year we won the President's trophy primarily because of our solid goaltending tandem, and it would hurt to keep that backbone another year. To me it makes a lot more sense than just dumping Luongo for another cap dump or players that don't address our organizational needs.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think the best scenario for the Canucks is to hold on to both Luongo and Schneider and wait for a trade that helps our offense to come to us. Last year we won the President's trophy primarily because of our solid goaltending tandem, and it would hurt to keep that backbone another year. To me it makes a lot more sense than just dumping Luongo for another cap dump or players that don't address our organizational needs.
Also, by keeping both for a while, it makes it easier to trade Schneider if the return he would garner is significantly better than Luongo's.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Good for the Canucks.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Mo power to the nucks

Old
09-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

"Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me, but I will only allow you to trade me to a team on this list of five."

Old
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
At this point I think it is the wrong move.

Schneider is already 26 and hasn't spent a full season as a starter. At some point he needs to get his reps in, and by keeping Luongo around you are just wasting his prime years / development

Conversely, Luongo won't be gaining value anytime soon considering the very small (or none) amount of leverage that Vancouver has in trade talks involving him.

Essentially I think this non-decision might turn out to be very detrimental to the team. At some point you need to roll the dice and take a chance, even if it is just that, a chance.

(I should also note that I am a Toronto fan that really doesn't have much interest in Luongo so I am not trying to talk his value down)

Old
09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Prime Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
"Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me, but I will only allow you to trade me to a team on this list of five."
Florida
Florida
Florida
Florida
Panthers.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
At this point I think it is the wrong move.

Schneider is already 26 and hasn't spent a full season as a starter. At some point he needs to get his reps in, and by keeping Luongo around you are just wasting his prime years / development

Conversely, Luongo won't be gaining value anytime soon considering the very small (or none) amount of leverage that Vancouver has in trade talks involving him.

Essentially I think this non-decision might turn out to be very detrimental to the team. At some point you need to roll the dice and take a chance, even if it is just that, a chance.

(I should also note that I am a Toronto fan that really doesn't have much interest in Luongo so I am not trying to talk his value down)
I disagree completely. I think in any case you keep your top assets unless you get an offer that matches the quality of that asset and/or addresses a key need. A top 6 forward is a key need, so unless that's being offered to us by some team how is keeping him going to hurt us?

If all we are being offered are cap
dumps, second round picks, and non-elite prospects then how exactly is holding on to him going to hurt his value any more? None of those assets really help us or address our needs so it isn't like we are losing out on anything by keeping him in the event somehow his value does decrease. I'd rather accept the production that he will bring to the team in the meantime. To me, the value we get from Luongo remaining on the Canucks is greater than what Tim Connolly or a 2nd round pick would bring.

09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister View Post
Florida
Florida
Florida
Florida
Panthers.
Not:

New York Rangers
LA Kings
Nashville Predators
Montreal Canadiens
Florida Panthers

?

Old
09-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Not:

New York Rangers
LA Kings
Nashville Predators
Montreal Canadiens
Florida Panthers

?

Well LA will need a new backup if they trade Bernier.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:18 PM
RECsGuy*

In order to avoid being picked up on waivers by North American armpits like Columbus or Edmonton, or sat on the bench for years on end out of spite, Luongo has to play nice and say all the right things rather than take the Heatley route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crymson
LOL couldn't be more true

Old
09-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
I disagree completely. I think in any case you keep your top assets unless you get an offer that matches the quality of that asset and/or addresses a key need. A top 6 forward is a key need, so unless that's being offered to us by some team how is keeping him going to hurt us?
I agree... but I'd add addressing quality prospect depth (older prospects ready to step in) is an organization need as well... Why Gillis has been drafting older prospects... Prospects need to start filling in more, playing lesser roles with the potential to fulfill bigger roles in the future...

I think this insight from Luongo and Gillis presents the next shift in responses/discussions... From Gillis can't keep both goalies, to Gillis shouldn't keep both goalies since Luongo says he can... Either that, or Luongo is lying... There's nothing else those who don't want the Canucks to keep Luongo longer can really say?

I don't see why Gillis shouldn't... Even if Luongo is worth nothing a year from now, the chance for a cup run is something real valuable (given the goal is to win the cup)... In the event Luongo is worth nothing a year from now, it's essentially like having Luongo on the team as a rental - where the opportunity cost seems to be a good prospect + pick (or less)... Worth it, IMHO, even if Luongo is worthless... Although I don't believe at all that Luongo would be worthless... If anything, Luongo's value goes up towards the trade deadline...

Schneider signed an extension... Lack signed an extension... Cap space isn't needed (so far)... Luongo seems happy enough (so far)... All is good so far, IMO... No rush, may as well hold out until a team really wants Luongo (as proven through their offer) and have Luongo on the team to help with a (hopefully) cup run... Could do much worse than having goaltending solidified for another year... 1st world problems...

Old
09-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

The thing is, we don't have to trade him. If he wants out that badly, he'll expand his list of teams to ones that will generate a fair return.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
LOL couldn't be more true
Couldn't be more true, except that it's not... Gillis and Luongo have said a few times that Luongo has never submitted a list or been asked who he would play for...

Gillis hasn't presented anything to Luongo, apparently... Although, it's pretty clear he'd play for Florida... and I hear that Luongo and Tallon had a meeting... Luongo seems pretty calm... Meeting might have gone pretty well? Or, meeting went terrible, so looking at his options, Luongo is content where he is for as long as possible? Regardless, what Luongo is saying is great...

Old
09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
tsujimoto74

IMO Luongo is still a top 10 goalie in the league at least, and I think the Canucks are better off either keeping both or trading Schneider (since he will garner a bigger return/a return that actually fill some holes on the roster and probably give the team a better chance to win now).

Old
09-18-2012, 01:31 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

oh my god what a classless choking diver for saying that

Old
09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
IMO Luongo is still a top 10 goalie in the league at least, and I think the Canucks are better off either keeping both or trading Schneider (since he will garner a bigger return/a return that actually fill some holes on the roster and probably give the team a better chance to win now).
We'll probably wait until the season starts before doing that, I don't really see Gillis as a sign'n'trade GM.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
"We're going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours, so if he's unreasonable in his list of teams he'll go to, we'll just put him on waivers."

Old
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
"We're going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours, so if he's unreasonable in his list of teams he'll go to, we'll just put him on waivers."
Why put him on waivers? Why not just keep him as the best insurance on Schneider?

Old
09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Why put him on waivers? Why not just keep him as the best insurance on Schneider?
Say the Canucks need to get Luongo off the team (cap space needed, penalties if over), and the offers for Luongo are terrible (cap dump(s) that hurt the team)... Waivers is an option...

But, yes, I agree... last resort... It's nice having options though... and it looks like Gillis has all the options he can reasonably expect... No pressure to do the wrong thing, at the wrong time... Wait to do the right thing, at the right time...

Old
09-18-2012, 01:49 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm not talking about now or when the season starts... But if we're well into the season and the Canucks need cap space for additions while Luongo only has Florida and a bunch of teams not needing goalies on his list and no decent offer is coming you tell Luongo to expand his list or threaten to put him on waivers. At that point to do think Luongo continues to hold pat on a limited list or take his chances with waivers?

Old
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Ishad

Considering his future involves him earning 6.7 million a year till 2018 to play professional hockey in Vancouver or the city of his choosing, it would be hard not to be fine with that.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
In order to avoid being picked up on waivers by North American armpits like Columbus or Edmonton, or sat on the bench for years on end out of spite, Luongo has to play nice and say all the right things rather than take the Heatley route.
Agreed, it's bad for business if Luongo's tongue gets too loose with his comments, from a PR perspective it's in the best interest of Gillis and Luongo for them to work together

I think that generally speaking, players and GM's are getting better at dealing with these situations (that is a veteran player who takes up lots of cap space and is on a long term contract but wants a change of scenery) because they are simply happening more and more.

These longer term contracts, we see them everywhere, but sometimes for whatever reason it's not a fit long term so trades need to happen, just look at Rick Nash

Old
09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
theLongR0D
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I'm not talking about now or when the season starts... But if we're well into the season and the Canucks need cap space for additions while Luongo only has Florida and a bunch of teams not needing goalies on his list and no decent offer is coming you tell Luongo to expand his list or threaten to put him on waivers. At that point to do think Luongo continues to hold pat on a limited list or take his chances with waivers?
I don't see Luongo taking this threat too seriously. You really think Vancouver would rather let him go for nothing then trade him for something, regardless how terrible the return is

Closed Thread