HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospect/Marlies Thread Part X: We Are Looking Stacked

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
KlattNazty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pretty much. It was good but that something that is like wow he finally knows how to use his body to perfection. I mean it wasn't something as he had become the next martin hanzal.

I guess the only positive side i can see is the the mental aspect but will that really hlep him get it out.
I suppose its possible. We cant know for sure though.

At this point in time, I am more worried about the lack of physical development than I am about his game development. As I said earlier, I believe his game is very close if not NHL ready.

I have maintained for a long time its his body that is the problem. Kadri suffers from it to a degree, as did Turris before either of them.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Since the Leafs didn't send down Ben Scrivines is he going to be the difference in the Marlies sucess in the regular season and playoffs should they make it. They basically have the same forwards and defense, however their goaltending will be the one difference that I can see.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I really want to see mark owuya in net again. I was really impressed with him last season and think he deserves more time in the ahl. Hopefully with scrivens not sent down, he gets that chance.

Also any idea when the preseason starts and if its being aired?

Old
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Since the Leafs didn't send down Ben Scrivines is he going to be the difference in the Marlies sucess in the regular season and playoffs should they make it. They basically have the same forwards and defense, however their goaltending will be the one difference that I can see.
Umm... Did they need to? He finished the season in the AHL, didn't think he needed to be assigned there. It's not like he's waiver-eligible in any event. I fully expect him to be starting Marlies games until the end of the lockout. But hey - I've been wrong before.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Leafer 21

Why was Colborne even playing with that injury? It was completely idiotic to not shut him down and let him heal.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

http://kylethereporter.com/2012/09/1...nally-thought/

News article on the injury.

Quote:
“You sit there and try not to let it affect you but every time you shoot or make a hard pass, or something like that, it sends a shockwave through you and I think it creeps into your head and you start looking for ways to not shoot.”

09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I'm pretty high on Brad Ross, hopefully he can play well with the Marlies. This video is from back in 2010, a pretty impressive video considering in the two years following it he's put up better numbers.

He's had two years of development, and at 20 years old is entering the AHL right on schedule. He is the same age D'amigo was last season, I think he might be a quality player in the AHL this season.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I'm pretty high on Brad Ross, hopefully he can play well with the Marlies. This video is from back in 2010, a pretty impressive video considering in the two years following it he's put up better numbers.

He's had two years of development, and at 20 years old is entering the AHL right on schedule. He is the same age D'amigo was last season, I think he might be a quality player in the AHL this season.
I'm looking forward to seeing if Ross can bring his style of play to a 'men's league'. If he can and manages to keep his scoring touch and maintain his tenacity, we might have Brad Marchand-esque player on our hands.

09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
What the hell is wrong with the medical staff?

Old
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Yeah I wish Colborne had sat out and healed his wrist properly. Oh well. Hope this is a big year for him and he picks up from where he left off early in the AHL season.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing if Ross can bring his style of play to a 'men's league'. If he can and manages to keep his scoring touch and maintain his tenacity, we might have Brad Marchand-esque player on our hands.
That video brought back memories of Tucker. He could be a beauty third liner.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
What the hell is wrong with the medical staff?
Doesn't the article suggest it was Colborne's choice? The medical staff intervenes when there is further risk to injury.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
Doesn't the article suggest it was Colborne's choice? The medical staff intervenes when there is further risk to injury.
It was Colborne's choice because he personally felt and believed it was in his best interest to try and fight through it and solidify himself as a Top Centre prospect in this organization.

He's certainly proven he has the heart and determination with that effort last year, now he'll have to stay healthy and put up one more good AHL season before he's ready for the show.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Agreed hundred percent. He can be the surprise player this year and really hope proves critics wrong. He has the skill to be a very good powerforward for us, I really hope he brings out the skill we know he possess.
My hope is for Colborne to develop into a good 2C, at worst he can be a very good 3C with Ashton, and probably Frattin or Biggs.

I am salivating at the idea of 3 guys that are all over 6'3+ 215 lbs+ on a future Leafs line.

If Underhill can just improve Joe's first step, we may have a jewell of a future 3rd line in a year from now.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Interactif

Further, this is why I believe we are maybe 2 blockbuster deals away from being a playoff team that can do some damage in the playoffs.

When you project a 3rd line of Colborne, Ashton, Frattin, Biggs. These are the type of lines that are difference makers in a long series, where you wear down the opposition.

4th line prospects don't look bad either, Ross, D'amigo, Devane. Add to this top 6 talent Kadri with bluechip D prospects, Percy, Finn, and Rielly. It's easy to get excited about this team a year or 2 from now.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Colborne and Kadri were player of the month in successive months. (October, November)

We said, "let's see if they can do it again?"

November: Kadri 17 points in 12 games.

Final count, 40 points in 48 games.

October: Colborne 16 points in 9 games.

Final count, 39 points in 65 games.

It will be interesting if the lock-out continues to see how the NHL players fare in the AHL.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Further, this is why I believe we are maybe 2 blockbuster deals away from being a playoff team that can do some damage in the playoffs.

When you project a 3rd line of Colborne, Ashton, Frattin, Biggs. These are the type of lines that are difference makers in a long series, where you wear down the opposition.

4th line prospects don't look bad either, Ross, D'amigo, Devane. Add to this top 6 talent Kadri with bluechip D prospects, Percy, Finn, and Rielly. It's easy to get excited about this team a year or 2 from now.
Our bottom 6 is set for the next decade, Ashton, Frattin, Biggs, Ross, D'amigo and Komarov all have realistic 2b/3a upside. We will soon have an abundance of big, phyisical, 40ish point players to anchor our 3rd and 4th line. Only thing is, i dont really see Colborne as the 3rd line C we need. He isnt good enough defensively or on the dot to be a shutdown C. On D we have a similar situation, except all major roles should be filled when all is said and done.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

What sort of blockbusters would you propose? The kind that brings in talent that is about to make the jump (for example, Huberdeau), or the kind that brings back a player like Getzlaf?

I agree that the nucleus has to shift, but I don't know to what extent.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

I'm high on Ross as well, if he can become a good agitator(while translating some offensive instincts) in the NHL, we've got ourselves a solid player.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
It was Colborne's choice because he personally felt and believed it was in his best interest to try and fight through it and solidify himself as a Top Centre prospect in this organization.

He's certainly proven he has the heart and determination with that effort last year, now he'll have to stay healthy and put up one more good AHL season before he's ready for the show.
That's interesting.... With Kadri playing wing on call ups he pretty much has no competition at centre until McKegg joins the Marlies full time.

Instead, he risks his wrist, and goes on a massive slump that ruins his stats for a year.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
CanLeaf

Interesting start for North Dakota's Captain D Andrew MacWilliam

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...s_captains.php

Old
09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanLeaf View Post
Interesting start for North Dakota's Captain D Andrew MacWilliam

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...s_captains.php
Team party got a little too rowdy by the sounds of it. Going by the info we have right now its Nothing to be concerned about. It probably wasn't anything different then what goes on every year, they just got caught this time.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Team party got a little too rowdy by the sounds of it. Going by the info we have right now its Nothing to be concerned about. It probably wasn't anything different then what goes on every year, they just got caught this time.
Facebook strikes again, I'm guessing.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Facebook strikes again, I'm guessing.
If it was on Facebook I think it would be all over our news now.

Actually you know what, probably not. The spotlight isn't leaving the Jays for awhile

Old
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
The Beyonder

So is it a matter of fact that the leafs won`t send Scrivs down for the marlies due to the risk of being claimed? If that is the case, then that's a big blow for the team.

Closed Thread