something i was thinking about

Old
09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would agree but I don't care what his ahl numbers look like when he was a good nhl goalie in his call up. Look at Holtby his ahl numbers this year were .906 sv% and 2.61 GAA but do you think Washington cares at all? Irving had slightly worse numbers this year with his injury without his injury he has much better numbers. I think he has shown he is nhl ready.
I think if Washington didn't have brutal goaltending and injuries Holtby probably doesn't get called up. Lets also keep in mind Holtby isn't due to become a group 6 this year either since he's 2 years younger than Irving.

I'd like to see a bigger sample size with Irving before we make any call on him, but I think at this stage he's a whole lot closer to a bust then he is to an NHL starter.

BTW, a couple of people have mentioned an injury to Irving this year. Can you clarify that for me? I'm unaware of any injury and couldn't find one when I looked for it. Are people confusing Karlssons injury and thinking it was Irving's or am I missing something?

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I think if Washington didn't have brutal goaltending and injuries Holtby probably doesn't get called up. Lets also keep in mind Holtby isn't due to become a group 6 this year either since he's 2 years younger than Irving.

I'd like to see a bigger sample size with Irving before we make any call on him, but I think at this stage he's a whole lot closer to a bust then he is to an NHL starter.

BTW, a couple of people have mentioned an injury to Irving this year. Can you clarify that for me? I'm unaware of any injury and couldn't find one when I looked for it. Are people confusing Karlssons injury and thinking it was Irving's or am I missing something?
I recall hearing / reading that he had suffered a minor injury during his call-up to the Flames and felt he could play through it, and he re-aggravated it in Abbostford. May not have been his knee - no idea though. Trying to find something to back that up is... difficult. Maybe he just did suffer from a bad case of "suck".

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Irving is ridiculously overrated by our fan base. Every year we come up with a new excuse for why he failed to produce again. Most players and people have kids. Iginla has three of them, but it's never been an excuse as to why he hasn't played well. Bottom line, it's 7 years after the draft this year. Irving is awfully close to being a total bust and is still highly regarded by Flame fans for no reason whatsoever. He's had one slightly above average year in the minors and the rest of his work has been extremely suspect.
To you they are excuses.
To me it is statistical evidence that his game went down the gutter when for the first time in his career he was pushed into limited starts due to being called up. I also never said that the birth of his child was the reason for his poor numbers, it was however just another reason as to why he was not spending time on the ice with his teammates. He actually ended up missing a few games and practices in the playoffs (IIRC).

What I see is that he had ONE poor month last year.
Call me an optimist if you want, but I put far more stock into his performances at the NHL level, and in the first half of the AHL season.

Very few goalies break into the NHL before the age of 24. The player I like to compare Irving to is Jimmy Howard. Just take a look at his AHL numbers and you would come away extremely unimpressed.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:

He is one year younger and I agree we need a larger sample size but how can we call a goalie that had a SV% of .912 a bust? At this point it is a toss up as to whether or not he will bust but everyone knows goalies take the longest to develop and form what I have seen (Heat and Flames) he is progressing nicely. I don't think he is overrated as many here see him as a potential starter no one has called him the next Kipper if anything I think calling him a bust is as much underrating as calling him the next Kipper is overrating.

I can't find a link (I think he said it in his exit interview) but he did say he had a leg injury after his first call up game and he played through it as he saw a chance at the nhl to prove him self.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
The thing I find more worrisome is if we lose the season Cervenka becomes a UFA meaning he could be a star and we will never had a chance to see him play for us (today he has 2 points in his first game in the Czech league)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:45 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Most kids with significant AHL time usually just want a 1-way deal. He'd probably re-sign if he was offered one.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The thing I find more worrisome is if we lose the season Cervenka becomes a UFA meaning he could be a star and we will never had a chance to see him play for us (today he has 2 points in his first game in the Czech league)
Yep. **** the lockout. Just ruins everything, for everyone.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote