HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
  #451
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I would have to disagree with that last comment. IMO I believe this team is going to surprise allot of people this year. I also believe that the Sting have had some good drafts the last couple of years. I don't think they are in any position to win the OHL, but I don't see them missing the playoffs either. If they are in a selling position at the trade deadline, they have more than enough talent to move to get back most, if not all of the picks traded last year.
So where do you see them finishing? I believe that there will be some very exciting offensive nights, don't think that they will finish in a top four position.

As for trading assets if it comes to that, there are definitely some very good possibilities - however, players have to agree to go and there needs to be buyers willing to pay the big price.

As for the draft, I agree to a point - what concerns me is that our cupboard is not exactly stocked right now with 16 - 18 year old talent.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 01:39 PM
  #452
highstickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
"Word is because (Yakupov) has signed a contract with Edmonton and has been assigned to junior, he's not officially locked out and therefore will be violating his contract if he doesn't report to Sarnia. He could be back in the O yet".

I cut and pasted this from the NOOF. If it were to pan out, do you think Sarnia could re-coup some of the "lost" draft picks by trading Yakupov to a heavy-duty contender? Whatttaya think he'd be worth in terms of draft picks for a team that wanted to re-stock the cupboard? I bet that it would make the Soo/Windsor deal for Campbell last year look like a fire sale...


Last edited by highstickside: 09-18-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: made an error
highstickside is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
  #453
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
"Word is because (Yakupov) has signed a contract with Edmonton and has been assigned to junior, he's not officially locked out and therefore will be violating his contract if he doesn't report to Sarnia. He could be back in the O yet".

I cut and pasted this from the NOOF. If it were to pan out, do you think Sarnia could re-coup some of the "lost" draft picks by trading Yakupov to a heavy-duty contender? Whatttaya think he'd be worth in terms of draft picks for a team that wanted to re-stock the cupboard? I bet that it would make the Soo/Windsor deal for Campbell last year look like a fire sale...
Too bad the NHL and KHL still have no formal working deal. Seems to me Yak can go to Russia, who is going to stop him and if he "violates" the contract with Edmonton what are they going to do renounce their rights to him?

Crottenham is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  #454
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I would have to disagree with that last comment. IMO I believe this team is going to surprise allot of people this year. I also believe that the Sting have had some good drafts the last couple of years. I don't think they are in any position to win the OHL, but I don't see them missing the playoffs either. If they are in a selling position at the trade deadline, they have more than enough talent to move to get back most, if not all of the picks traded last year.
I also believe that the team may surprise to the upside this year but it's not likely they've got what it takes to go all the way. At the end of this season a most of the key players will all very likely be gone : kids like Galchenyuk, Anderson, Sarault, Murphy, Boucher,Hottot etc..

If the GM decides to be a seller at Christmas it may be quite difficult to explain to the fan base why he mortgaged so much of the team's future for a first round playoff knockout, and being an also ran the next year and then back into a rebuild. And the rebuild will start without key high draft picks(for many years to come) even if he does re coup some picks in trades.

The question is given how the Sting stacked up against teams like London, and Kitchener, and Niagara last season why he was so aggressive in mortgaging the future with a team that was basically middle of the pack.To be fair the team had a lot of injuries but did Jocko really think it was worth giving up so much ?

This is a case of history repeating itself as Al Millar did the exactly the same thing back in 08 when the team was a sixth place team going into the trade deadline when he mortgaged the future with the Barrie deal. Nothing wrong in going for it but it's a little excessive if you're a middle of the pack team.......no ? There is a reason that this team has only made it out of the first round twice in 18 years.


Last edited by bobbygore: 09-18-2012 at 02:04 PM.
bobbygore is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
  #455
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
If the Sting enter sell off mode then there's no way they will still make playoff especially if Galchenyuk, Murphy, Boucher, Sarault and Anderson are moved.

Last Sunday in Windsor this team was without many of these
Stars that could be moved and it wasn't pretty. Beyond Dundas, Goldobin, DeAngelo and Moore Sarnia's remaining youngsters aren't refined enough for big minutes. They'd be bound to fall even if the youth do show improvements with more icetime

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM
  #456
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
If the Sting enter sell off mode then there's no way they will still make playoff especially if Galchenyuk, Murphy, Boucher, Sarault and Anderson are moved.

Last Sunday in Windsor this team was without many of these
Stars that could be moved and it wasn't pretty. Beyond Dundas, Goldobin, DeAngelo and Moore Sarnia's remaining youngsters aren't refined enough for big minutes. They'd be bound to fall even if the youth do show improvements with more icetime
My prediction is that if the team is middle of the pack or better there's no way the Sting will be a seller come trade deadline time. As a matter of fact they might even be buyers if that's the case. If you're Trader Jack how could you possibly justify all your other moves so far if you become a seller. That's exactly the position Millar was in back in 08 and the reason he did nothing at the trade deadline when teams like Windsor, London ,and Plymouth were clearly way better teams. There is a reason that this team has only made it out of the first round of the playoffs twice in 18 years.

bobbygore is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
  #457
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
My prediction is that if the team is middle of the pack or better there's no way the Sting will be a seller come trade deadline time. As a matter of fact they might even be buyers if that's the case. If you're Trader Jack how could you possibly justify all your other moves so far if you become a seller. That's exactly the position Millar was in back in 08 and the reason he did nothing at the trade deadline when teams like Windsor, London ,and Plymouth were clearly way better teams. There is a reason that this team has only made it out of the first round of the playoffs twice in 18 years.
I'm not sure what your point is. Regardless, Sarnia has an extremely difficult decision to make with its assets (Galchenyuk and company) and whatever route they decide - its guaranteed to piss off fans. It's a lose-lose situation this season unless they somehow find a way to upset their way to an OHL Championship.

Also, the timing of this big "decision" is also very critical in my opinion. If teams are willing to back up the truck to acquire a Galchenyuk or Murphy then they are going to want to do it sooner than later. If Sarnia waits until the deadline then the return diminishes greatly.

Big decisions require the guys to enter sell-off mode but also if they decide not sell off too. The asking price will determine the route they take

Whatever they decide, heart ache will certainly occur in the sting fanbase - when these players are dealt OR at the end of their season (playoffs or not).

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:37 PM
  #458
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. Regardless, Sarnia has an extremely difficult decision to make with its assets (Galchenyuk and company) and whatever route they decide - its guaranteed to piss off fans. It's a lose-lose situation this season unless they somehow find a way to upset their way to an OHL Championship.

Also, the timing of this big "decision" is also very critical in my opinion. If teams are willing to back up the truck to acquire a Galchenyuk or Murphy then they are going to want to do it sooner than later. If Sarnia waits until the deadline then the return diminishes greatly.

Big decisions require the guys to enter sell-off mode but also if they decide not sell off too. The asking price will determine the route they take

Whatever they decide, heart ache will certainly occur in the sting fanbase - when these players are dealt OR at the end of their season (playoffs or not).
Well spoken.You are right.The sting management is in a no win situation.I hope they do well and end up in a position to keep them around and look for a few others.Hopefully go a couple of playoff rounds and help out the cash and fan situation.I truly think if this team remains healthy is going to fool some other teams and the fans.From the coaching side of things,Alex Sr and Trevor APPEAR to have more on the bench say to the players and I actually seen JB a few times patting the boys on the back and said good work.I would think the length of the NHL lockout will be the key as to which teams are going to be shoppers and who is not.

massey is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  #459
CoyotesHFNHL
Registered User
 
CoyotesHFNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
My prediction is that if the team is middle of the pack or better there's no way the Sting will be a seller come trade deadline time. As a matter of fact they might even be buyers if that's the case. If you're Trader Jack how could you possibly justify all your other moves so far if you become a seller. That's exactly the position Millar was in back in 08 and the reason he did nothing at the trade deadline when teams like Windsor, London ,and Plymouth were clearly way better teams. There is a reason that this team has only made it out of the first round of the playoffs twice in 18 years.
From what I gather, this isn't 2008 when they traded with Barrie and added to Stamkos and the crew and won a playoff round. This is 2009. The big star has been picked 1st overall and is no longer with the team. They have all the pieces to be a good competitive team, but many of them are gone after this season with no one to replace them. This is the following year. When they did nothing at the deadline because they had a good team then were beat swiftly by Plymouth. All the players moved on and there was a two year rebuild. I'm suprirsed so many people are saying that they can't trade this year, or it would be a bad idea for them to trade away players this year. If they don't, be prepared for a 2 year rebuild. If they build up enough points, trade away the top guys who wont be there next year, the young players should be able to hold onto a playoff spot. They'll get knocked out in the 1st round, but if they can get some young talent back with those picks, then they will be able to avoid another rebuild. Thats just my take on it.

CoyotesHFNHL is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
  #460
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
One of the biggest problems with this ownership group is that they are reactionary and always looking for the quick fix. Blaming miller and now JB for these messes are misguided in my opinion - I believe their direction came from the owners - get us to the second round or else. We have to go for it, we have the number one draft pick.

In my opinion here is what to do.

First - admit your blunder, suck it up and don't make another wrong move to try and cover up the previous bad moves. In other words we made a big mistake last year - while the team looked good on paper, the results showed differently, regardless of the reason.

Trade your assets this year, only for value. We will need to have players that can eat some minutes and bring in some toughness to protect the younger players and issue a beating if teams want to run up the score. Sorry, it works. If we don't do this, then I truly believe we will make a quick exit from the playoffs this year followed by two non playoff rebuilding years.

Make stability your number one goal - realize that unfortunately it will take some time to reap the benefits, but I very much believe that the intelligent hockey fans in Sarnia will respect this and reward the team with support. Again, trust takes time to build - stop looking for the quick fix.

Build on the good, correct the bad. JB showed some huge positives both in the Q and now here at assembling talent. Build on this. He may not be as good of a coach, I don't really know yet, but let's not run him out of town only to have him succeed elsewhere after we trained him. Remember Mark Hunter?

Now the corrections, short and sweet.

Develop - buy only to augment when you are truly ready.

Goal tenders!

Defense - we need to get coaching resources that can improve our defense development. It really isn't far behind our record on goalies.

Stability

Customer service. The record on the ice is not the only reason people aren't attending games. This is something that they can control immediately to make an impact. The parking issue is but one of the many blunders in this area.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
  #461
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
I think it is wrong to compare this team to the 09 team. This team has better 16, 17 and 18 yr old's than that team. Offensively, this is not a bad team in the years to come. You have Moore and Brown as pure goal scorers, Nikandrov is a great playmaker and has excellent vision. I know it is early but Renaud, Hargrave and Addesi could be very good power forwards. Mater is a hard worker. I haven't seen Goldobin play yet, but he seems able to pick up points. Dundas is going to surprise some people too, he is not just a fighter, he can put the puck in the net too. On the defense side there might be some problems and well I wont get into goal tending.

As for this year, I think they could finish 4th, but I would rather them trade their assets at the deadline for 16/17 yr old's and picks to build a top team for next year.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:48 PM
  #462
CoyotesHFNHL
Registered User
 
CoyotesHFNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I think it is wrong to compare this team to the 09 team. This team has better 16, 17 and 18 yr old's than that team. Offensively, this is not a bad team in the years to come. You have Moore and Brown as pure goal scorers, Nikandrov is a great playmaker and has excellent vision. I know it is early but Renaud, Hargrave and Addesi could be very good power forwards. Mater is a hard worker. I haven't seen Goldobin play yet, but he seems able to pick up points. Dundas is going to surprise some people too, he is not just a fighter, he can put the puck in the net too. On the defense side there might be some problems and well I wont get into goal tending.

As for this year, I think they could finish 4th, but I would rather them trade their assets at the deadline for 16/17 yr old's and picks to build a top team for next year.
I completely agree. The 13 team is better than 09 for 16/17 year olds, and I agree they could fight for 4th if they hold onto everything they got right now. If they play this team until the deadline (unless injuries come up and a team is willing to pay a ransom for one of the older players before then) get a few picks and a few young players at the deadline this team will still be a playoff team this year and be even better in 2014. A year when winning the conference could mean a Memorial Cup trip. (If the Eastern Conference gets it).

CoyotesHFNHL is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 06:37 AM
  #463
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesHFNHL View Post
I completely agree. The 13 team is better than 09 for 16/17 year olds, and I agree they could fight for 4th if they hold onto everything they got right now. If they play this team until the deadline (unless injuries come up and a team is willing to pay a ransom for one of the older players before then) get a few picks and a few young players at the deadline this team will still be a playoff team this year and be even better in 2014. A year when winning the conference could mean a Memorial Cup trip. (If the Eastern Conference gets it).
Ideally, you would like to sell and limp into the playoffs to get some experience. Having said that, I am not sure that Sarnia has what it takes to take 4th spot. London, Kitch, Plymouth - Guelph, and Owen Sound IMO for 4th and 5th. I think Saginaw could be better than Sarnia also, I'm putting a lot of faith in Gilbert. I believe we will be fighting for the last two playoff spots with the Soo, Windsor and Erie.

If we don't sell, unless I am missing something, I think you go into next year without a proven goalie and a seriously undermanned and undersized defense. I do like the looks of some of the younger talent up front. IMO, deadline trades will need to include able bodied defense and **sigh** yet again a goaltender. Could we develop a goalie? Can't see it unless you trade away JP. Just don't see the backup getting many games - and if we do trade JP and others, the remaining tender will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on the 402 - they would need to find a way to keep the kid's confidence.

Next year, without a trade, IMO you lose Murphy, Galenchuk and most likely Boucher. That leaves a very poor crop of 94's - 19 year olds next year. To make the D respectable, you would need to keep your three OAs at that position.

If you do trade, ideally you would like to get some 18 year olds to fill those gaps, unlikely to happen given the team that is buying will want those assets, it is much more likely to get a younger player, someone not as valuable for a short term playoff run. Based on this I just don't see next year as a big playoff year one way or another, too many missing pieces.


Last edited by fanofdo: 09-19-2012 at 10:26 AM.
fanofdo is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:53 AM
  #464
Baldy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Sting scrap parking fee

As per CHOK noon news: The Sting have decided to scrap the proposed $2 parking fee for this season. No reason given.

Baldy is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
  #465
Sting Fire
Registered User
 
Sting Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hockeyland
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
As per CHOK noon news: The Sting have decided to scrap the proposed $2 parking fee for this season. No reason given.
The Observer article:

http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/19...or-sting-games

Sting Fire is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
  #466
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
I think it is clear why they finally caved into the fans.Season ticket holders were irate.This was a PR nightmare for the sting and its management. First,announce before the season ticket holders purchased their tickets and receive,Secondly,Who is getting the money and why,Third,If you are going to charge,open up the 3 north exits, yes there is 3,the normal gated entrance,the yellow gated entrance which someone closes and the lane that meets up with the main exit plus the one south so you are not waiting for an hour to get out.My problem is that I pay extra for my parking pass and then have to sit and wait with the others.JB compares to London BUT I have never ever waited at any parking lot in London for an hour to get out.A few minutes at best.Good decision Sting.

massey is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
  #467
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I think it is clear why they finally caved into the fans.Season ticket holders were irate.This was a PR nightmare for the sting and its management. First,announce before the season ticket holders purchased their tickets and receive,Secondly,Who is getting the money and why,Third,If you are going to charge,open up the 3 north exits, yes there is 3,the normal gated entrance,the yellow gated entrance which someone closes and the lane that meets up with the main exit plus the one south so you are not waiting for an hour to get out.My problem is that I pay extra for my parking pass and then have to sit and wait with the others.JB compares to London BUT I have never ever waited at any parking lot in London for an hour to get out.A few minutes at best.Good decision Sting.
I am not sure that they caved to the season ticket holders who get parking anyway. I think they had an ill conceived plan that they had no idea how to manage...sound familiar?
I think they thought it would work well. I do like the $50 parking pass idea for the season. I pay whereever I go now...London, Plymouth, Saginaw, Kingtson, Ottawa. We have it good...but you can't charge after...i'd have to dig for change under my seat to pay it off...and jusT imagine the lineup then.
Personally, i am not sure Abercrombie's explanation to pay off parking lot maintenance flew...considering it snowed how many times last year?
I would rather have the $2 go to a charity, or to the college.
Businessmen without a business plan is like driving on a quarter tank.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
  #468
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
As per CHOK noon news: The Sting have decided to scrap the proposed $2 parking fee for this season. No reason given.
Now is the city still going to charge $1 for the shuttle?

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM
  #469
SarniaSting101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=dean youngblood82;54401299]Caught the final preseason ge in Windsor yesterday and was really looking forward to seeing how the kids played with all of the offensive talent out of the lineup (Gally, Boucher, Moore, DeAngelo, Anderson) and here are my thoughts (honest thoughts and I'm not trying to criticize any players but provide an honest assessment:

-Goldobin was excellent again. He might have the best vision on the team and will especially be a weapon on the PP. Jacko seems to like him too as he put him out in the final minute with the goalie pulled after about a 15 second rest

- Barrick is the backup if there was any doubt. Dawe struggled yesterday to find the puck and he was all over the net (iout of position). Barrick played well

- in my opinion, Hargrave isn't ready to play For the big club yet. I see two options that would be best for his development. First option: Send him to JrB (at least to start the year) to get some confidence. He appears to struggle handling the puck and that includes taking a pass. It's clear that he's got a wicked shot (heavy) and that's his best asset but he needs the confidence to get the puck. Second option (probably the likely option as he's a 1st round pick): keep him up but give him important minutes. Whereever he ends up he needs to get
Icetime to gain the confidence he needs. Throw him on the second PP as a net presence and utilize him that way. As we know from last year, not playing rookies enough isn't worth keeping them with the big club

- Addesi: another player that should probably be in JrB. At this point, I don't see a "need" for him to stay. He's serviceable but I think he might be better served receiving more minutes and he'd get that in JrB. It really depends on how management sees his potential.

- Renaud: in my opinion, Renaud is the '96 rookie who should stick. He's intelligent on the ice and shows good work ethic in all zones.

I'd recommend:

Boucher-Galchenyuk-Moore
D.Brown-Sarault-Goldobin
Renaud/Dundas-Latta-Hottot
Dundas/Renaud-Nikandrov-Mater/Hargrave

F Scratches: Hargrave, Mater, Addesi

Surprisingly, Sarnia only has one left-handed shot on the point (Nemecek)

Murphy- DeAngelo
Nemecek- Kyzmyk
Basso- Duininck
DiPaolo

D Scratch: Chapman

JP Anderson
Brodie Barrick

PP1: Boucher-Galchenyuk-Sarault, Murphy-Basso
PP2: Brown or Dundas- Hottot-Goldobin, Nemecek, DeAngelo

Personally, I'd like to give DeAngelo first power play duties but it's more likely that will go to Basso

It's going to be interesting to see how the scratches go this season [QUOTE
]


So with the season opener less than 48 hours away, do you think JB is going to start the season with everyone he has, or downsize it a bit more. Seems like there is probably one D-Man too many and with Dawe, Barrick, and JP, seems like there is one tender too many. Any idea how long these extra players will be kept around? I am sure they all have respective teams to join should JB not have a need for them. They were all at the skate last evening so it is hard to say what he is planning on doing with the current size of the roster.


Last edited by SarniaSting101: 09-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.
SarniaSting101 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
  #470
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesHFNHL View Post
From what I gather, this isn't 2008 when they traded with Barrie and added to Stamkos and the crew and won a playoff round. This is 2009. The big star has been picked 1st overall and is no longer with the team. They have all the pieces to be a good competitive team, but many of them are gone after this season with no one to replace them. This is the following year. When they did nothing at the deadline because they had a good team then were beat swiftly by Plymouth. All the players moved on and there was a two year rebuild. I'm suprirsed so many people are saying that they can't trade this year, or it would be a bad idea for them to trade away players this year. If they don't, be prepared for a 2 year rebuild. If they build up enough points, trade away the top guys who wont be there next year, the young players should be able to hold onto a playoff spot. They'll get knocked out in the 1st round, but if they can get some young talent back with those picks, then they will be able to avoid another rebuild. Thats just my take on it.


Dealing away players at the trade deadline will likely be the prudent thing to do given the current situation but is unlikely IMO for the following reasons : firstly, the team missed the playoffs in both 2009/10, and 2010/11.This happened in a league where 80 per cent of the teams make the playoffs every year.Missing the playoffs 2 years in a row is rare in the O but can occur if teams are really poorly managed.

The braintrust then turned around and tried to sell the fans that the reason for this failure was because the the team was implementing a new strategy where through patient development and building "brick by brick " thru the draft the team could rise to the upper echelon of the league. That strategy was quickly dumped when they brought in the current GM who traded away 7 future second round picks and 3 third rounders as well as the 2011 first round pick to take a run at winning the league last season. This is a hugely risky strategy and history proves it rarely works,The team lost out in 6 games in the first round of the playoffs.

So in 3 seasons Sting fans have seen a grand total of 3 home playoff games. Might be tough to tell the dwindling fan base that they should " wait til next year "(again) . The fans of this organization are among the best in the league to be still showing up especially given the fact that that this Gong Show has been ongoing for 18 years not just the last 4. I wouldn't want to own a piece of this,

I stand by my prediction that if the team is is middle of the pack by the trade deadline or better there's no way in hell they trade anybody,even if it's the right thing to do.. That's not the way this organization works

bobbygore is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
  #471
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=SarniaSting101;54457717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Caught the final preseason ge in Windsor yesterday and was really looking forward to seeing how the kids played with all of the offensive talent out of the lineup (Gally, Boucher, Moore, DeAngelo, Anderson) and here are my thoughts (honest thoughts and I'm not trying to criticize any players but provide an honest assessment:

-Goldobin was excellent again. He might have the best vision on the team and will especially be a weapon on the PP. Jacko seems to like him too as he put him out in the final minute with the goalie pulled after about a 15 second rest

- Barrick is the backup if there was any doubt. Dawe struggled yesterday to find the puck and he was all over the net (iout of position). Barrick played well

- in my opinion, Hargrave isn't ready to play For the big club yet. I see two options that would be best for his development. First option: Send him to JrB (at least to start the year) to get some confidence. He appears to struggle handling the puck and that includes taking a pass. It's clear that he's got a wicked shot (heavy) and that's his best asset but he needs the confidence to get the puck. Second option (probably the likely option as he's a 1st round pick): keep him up but give him important minutes. Whereever he ends up he needs to get
Icetime to gain the confidence he needs. Throw him on the second PP as a net presence and utilize him that way. As we know from last year, not playing rookies enough isn't worth keeping them with the big club

- Addesi: another player that should probably be in JrB. At this point, I don't see a "need" for him to stay. He's serviceable but I think he might be better served receiving more minutes and he'd get that in JrB. It really depends on how management sees his potential.

- Renaud: in my opinion, Renaud is the '96 rookie who should stick. He's intelligent on the ice and shows good work ethic in all zones.

I'd recommend:

Boucher-Galchenyuk-Moore
D.Brown-Sarault-Goldobin
Renaud/Dundas-Latta-Hottot
Dundas/Renaud-Nikandrov-Mater/Hargrave

F Scratches: Hargrave, Mater, Addesi

Surprisingly, Sarnia only has one left-handed shot on the point (Nemecek)

Murphy- DeAngelo
Nemecek- Kyzmyk
Basso- Duininck
DiPaolo

D Scratch: Chapman

JP Anderson
Brodie Barrick

PP1: Boucher-Galchenyuk-Sarault, Murphy-Basso
PP2: Brown or Dundas- Hottot-Goldobin, Nemecek, DeAngelo

Personally, I'd like to give DeAngelo first power play duties but it's more likely that will go to Basso

It's going to be interesting to see how the scratches go this season [QUOTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
]


So with the season opener less than 48 hours away, do you think JB is going to start the season with everyone he has, or downsize it a bit more. Seems like there is probably one D-Man too many and with Dawe, Barrick, and JP, seems like there is one tender too many. Any idea how long these extra players will be kept around? I am sure they all have respective teams to join should JB not have a need for them. They were all at the skate last evening so it is hard to say what he is planning on doing with the current size of the roster.
Barrick will be the backup.

bobbygore is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
  #472
SarniaSting101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=bobbygore;54459421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]

Barrick will be the backup.
So why keep an extra goalie around? Talk was also about the D. It must be clear by now to JB who should be playing the blueline so why not move the other guys to somewhere that want them. Heck, it is clear to me and I am not a coach. Time to get this team together and playing as the team they are if we are going to see any sign of success this season.

SarniaSting101 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
  #473
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
SS101,

it's quite possible that Dawe has no where else to play so thats why he can stick around for longer. IMO, there is no way that Barrick isn't the backup.


I still find this potential sell off fascinating. So many different outcomes. Obviously, it depends largely on the returns but I think they'd be best selling off Galchenyuk and/or Murphy if the price is right. Keep Boucher, Sarault, and Anderson unless a team is willing to overpay slightly. That way the team can make a reasonable run in the first round (assuming they get there). It all comes down to the return for these players and we'll never know how badly teams will covet these players.

I do get the feeling that the will hold off trading these guys ...even if I think it might be the best route.

Looking forward to a strong Belleville team visiting Sarnia Friday night.

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
  #474
Stevie04
Registered User
 
Stevie04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port aux Basques, NF
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Now is the city still going to charge $1 for the shuttle?
No idea it is up to the RBC if they are going to waive the $2 fee for the shuttle. The reason that was there was the same as the parking at the arena "to try and recover some of the fees". The RBC center pays the City to operate the shuttle.

Stevie04 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
  #475
PdashOw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
So with the season opener less than 48 hours away, do you think JB is going to start the season with everyone he has, or downsize it a bit more.

There will be a brief item about this in my Observer article that will be online later today (and in print tomorrow), but the answer is he's carrying all 25 guys currently on the roster. 14F, 8D, 3G, basically for the same reasons he gave (or doesn't give) in this article: http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/12...l-roster-spots
Basically it boils down to depth: He didn't like how they scrambled to deal with injuries last season and he wants more bodies around to start this year.
I believe for a guy like Dawe, they can keep him 5 games before they have to card him, so it could just be a start of the year thing to ensure Anderson is healthy. (THIS LAST IS SPECULATION, NOT SOMETHING I'VE BEEN TOLD)

PdashOw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.