HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign this guy up - ASAP (Francois Allaire)

Old
09-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Sign this guy up - ASAP (Francois Allaire)

Would be awesome if Giggy could influence management to bring this guy in to work with him and Varly.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405486

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Lol who the **** pays for a goalie coach? What is this New York?

He didn't really do a great job with the Leafs tbh.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Would be awesome if Giggy could influence management to bring this guy in to work with him and Varly.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405486
He's a good coach, but only teaches one style of goaler to any and every goaler. There was a article and even Hrudey commented on one HNIC that he wanted Reimer to play his blocking style (Reimer is a combination of blocking and reacting), which was destroying Reimer's confidence and wasting his talent last season. I believe Hrudey's final comments were, "you can't teach a reaction goaler to play a blocking style, you just can't".

For the people who don't know here is the different types,
Reaction goaler: Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas
Blocking goaler: JS Giguere, Cory Crawford
Hybrid goaler (combination of both): Miikka Kiprusoff, Pekka Rinne

The problem is Varlamov is VERY FAR from being a blocking goaler who relies on his athleticism far more than his positioning. We need a coach, but we need one who can work with both types of goalers and not converting reaction to blocking. Mitch Korn currently on Nashville is probably the best coach for Varlamov and our decent goaler pool.

Last edited by S E P H: 09-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Allaire is given a lot of credit in Patrick Roy's biography. I understand that the book was written by Roy's dad, and there may be some bias, but there are extensive references to the butterfly style being developed by the two together. The innovation and Roy's success is partly attributed in the book to Allaire. Working with Giguere and Varlomov may not be a bad thing. Lots have been clamoring for a full time goalie coach around here for a long time. I personally think an investment in the most important position on the ice couldn't hurt.

SuperTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Lol who the **** pays for a goalie coach? What is this New York?

He didn't really do a great job with the Leafs tbh.
Most teams in the league have a full-time goalie coach.

I dunno, I guess to me a guy with a proven track record is better than a part-time Thibault or Kirk McLean or nobody.

Besides, just because the Monster or Riemer didn't become superstars, it doesn't mean he didn't do a good job.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
The problem with Allaire in Toronto was that there were too many people involved with the goalies. Allaire didn't have any time to do anything with them. He'd say one thing and then three other people would say something completely different. Plus he has little control over the goalies. He did not get to say who should start or how much practise time he got with them. Plus no one can turn a tandem of goalies that have less then 100 NHL games played between them into a Stanley Cup champion tandem. I don't blame Allaire for the failings of the Leafs this year, especially since they were offensive all the time when Wilson was around.

One thing that everyone seems to forget is that even before last season, when Reimer was playing for the Marlies, Allaire coached him then as well. Everyone is acting like this is the first time Allaire has worked with Reimer.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Oh man that would be incredible

But it won't happen. Was it Sacco who basically went on record being like "meh we don't need one"

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He's a good coach, but only teaches one style of goaler to any and every goaler. There was a article and even Hrudey commented on one HNIC that he wanted Reimer to play his blocking style (Reimer is a combination of blocking and reacting), which was destroying Reimer's confidence and wasting his talent last season. I believe Hrudey's final comments were, "you can't teach a reaction goaler to play a blocking style, you just can't".

For the people who don't know here is the different types,
Reaction goaler: Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas
Blocking goaler: JS Giguere, Cory Crawford
Hybrid goaler (combination of both): Miikka Kiprusoff, Pekka Rinne

The problem is Varlamov is VERY FAR from being a blocking goaler who relies on his athleticism far more than his positioning. We need a coach, but we need one who can work with both types of goalers and not converting reaction to blocking. Mitch Korn currently on Nashville is probably the best coach for Varlamov and our decent goaler pool.
Kelly Hrudey also said that Hejduk looked completely disinterested in playing hockey like 3-4 years ago.

I don't put too much stock in what he has to say but you may be right.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I agree that Varlamov doesn't seem to be an Allaire type goaltender.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Foppa2118

They need to sign this guy. Jussi Parkkila. The guy Varly's most comfortable with, and has been working with for the last five years, and talks to on the phone during the season. Not sure if he's still under contract with SKA or not, but this is the guy they need to get somehow.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
They need to sign this guy. Jussi Parkkila. The guy Varly's most comfortable with, and has been working with for the last five years, and talks to on the phone during the season. Not sure if he's still under contract with SKA or not, but this is the guy they need to get somehow.

Sure, whatever. I just want to see an actual goalie-coach not some retired ex-goalie who only does it part-time.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Sure, whatever. I just want to see an actual goalie-coach not some retired ex-goalie who only does it part-time.
Well, one that's capable and has a good working relationship with Varly would be nice. I mean we don't need Eric Lacroix being like, "It's ok boys, I got this." and working with Varly every day down on the ice full time.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Having McLean as a part time goalie coach might be better than having Allaire. I don't listen to Leafs fans because they just want/need someone to blame for their goalie problems but I think Allaire will probably do more harm to Varlamov than good.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

The number one goalie scout in the world thinks he should come here:

Quote:
ALLAIRE TO COLORADO MAKES SENSE

I think at this point in Allaire’s career, he just wants to have some fun coaching goalies again. I couldn’t imagine the type of stress he had to deal with in Toronto over the past three seasons.

If he wants to continue doing this at the NHL level, the most obvious fit for him would be the Colorado Avalanche.

For years, I have shouted until I’m blue in the face about the lack of goalie development in Colorado. Ironically, it was their heavy reliance on Allaire pupil Patrick Roy that led them to go so many years without a systematic and consistent approach to developing goalie prospects.

If any team needs a veteran goalie guru like Allaire, it would be the Avalanche.

It makes a lot of sense — not only could Allaire settle down in a picturesque and stress-free environment like Denver, but he could be reunited with J-S Giguere, join an organization that has very little media surrounding them, and he could even work with minor-league prospects in the Mile High city.

I’m speaking about the Denver Cutthroats, a new team in the Central Hockey League. It is expected that Avs prospects Kieran Millan and Kent Patterson will likely play there, pending Lake Erie’s training camp.

In conclusion, No matter where Allaire ends up, it’s safe to say he still carries the reputation of being one of the best goalie coaches in the world. But the suffocating pressure in Toronto from the media and fans, the lack of defensive support for the goalies, and the sheer lack of overall success must have taken quite a toll on him.

The quotes published in various reports back up that sentiment.

To be perfectly honest, I really hope Allaire ends up in Colorado. That team needs him more than any other.

I covered the Avalanche for six long, frustrating seasons, and nothing was more annoying than seeing so many solid goalie prospects not get the consistent support and guidance they needed to take the next step in their evolution. From Peter Budaj to Tyler Weiman to Trevor Cann, goalies never really took that next step within the Avs’ system.

Allaire would positively change the goaltending development in Colorado almost overnight, and while reunited with his friend Giguere, he would have a lot of fun doing it
Full article here: http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2012/0...aires-absence/

What everyone should note is he doesn't mention Varlamov at all. Which I find is interesting. Either its an oversight or he believes that Varlamov doesn't need Allaire but our prospects do.

Found out the reason why Varly wasn't mentioned. It was because the article was so long already but he did tweet about how Allaire could help calm down Varlamov at the very least. One year of Allaire can't hurt, he already helped out one Avalanche goalie and look how that turned out. As long as Allaire focuses on the mental part of the game and doesn't try to change Varlamov's style we'll be fine. Allaire isn't an idiot, with a nice calm, quiet media location like Colorado he'll be able to reflect and focus properly. Rather then having to deal with the Toronto media and the other hundred people messing with his goalies.

Last edited by Gigantor The Goalie: 09-17-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Most teams in the league have a full-time goalie coach.
I was being sarcastic making fun of Kroenke's cheapness lol. But I don't think Allaire is the correct style for Varlamov nor do I think that a positional butterfly coach is gonna be as effective when the NHL returns because this league is going to more offense if the lockout goes the distance imo.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
I've been dreaming about Allaire with the Avs for years , this guy is still one of the best goalie coach in the league and he has a lot of experience . Not just and old goalie that just retired who will help us part time, this guy is the real deal a teacher of the game. Someone talked about Patrick's Book , well Roy was a raw gem with a lot of talent and Allaire made Roy, he brought Roy as the best Goalie of his time and one of the best , if not the best in history .

For those who are scare about working with Varly , i'm not scare at all because J-S Gigučre worked with allaire for many years and i'm pretty sure that he already helped Varly , last year . So receving tips from Gigučre or Working full time with Allaire , Varly wont see a difference. in fact Varlamov will only benefit from working with the best Coach of all.

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
So you're saying let's hire a great goalie coach who can develop our 4 promising goalie prospects that could, given the proper teaching, be attractive trade bait for future improvements to the team? Nah, makes way too much sense.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I've been dreaming about Allaire with the Avs for years , this guy is still one of the best goalie coach in the league and he has a lot of experience . Not just and old goalie that just retired who will help us part time, this guy is the real deal a teacher of the game. Someone talked about Patrick's Book , well Roy was a raw gem with a lot of talent and Allaire made Roy, he brought Roy as the best Goalie of his time and one of the best , if not the best in history .

For those who are scare about working with Varly , i'm not scare at all because J-S Gigučre worked with allaire for many years and i'm pretty sure that he already helped Varly , last year . So receving tips from Gigučre or Working full time with Allaire , Varly wont see a difference. in fact Varlamov will only benefit from working with the best Coach of all.
I think the argument against Allaire is that he supposedly tries to mold all his goaltenders into a shotblocking butterfly style, which Varly isn't. It's not clear how valid that argument is though. I'd be a bit surprised if a guy that's been around as long as he has thinks that's the only style a goaltender should play, and they all will excel at that style. He may prefer that style, and try to teach it to younger goalies, but I would be surprised if he'd try to force it on a guy. I could be wrong though.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

Agree with all of this, I've coveted Allaire for a long time. I don't believe they'll hire him but I wish they would.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
I could have sworn I saw @TheGoalieGuild saying a while ago that Allaire kills goalies. But then there is the possiblity that not having to deal with goalies in Toronto would be a benefit for him.

Also... http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_19763370
The Avs have a goalie coach, Kirk McLean, but he is not full time. Not many teams have full-time goalie coaches, which is something Giguere doesn't quite understand.

"I think every team should have a full-time goalie coach. At the end of the day, a goalie can make you make the playoffs or not make the playoffs or win you a series or not," Giguere said. "I still don't understand why we don't have a (full-time) goalie coach. A lot of organizations are like this, and it's a bizarre situation if you ask me. It's important to have a strong working relationship between the goalies and the goalie coach, to make sure that we're all on the same page. The difference when the two goalies play should not be very noticeable, between the forwards and the D ... It's a relationship that's very important to the goalie."

Asked if he's satisfied with McLean's part-time status and goalie coaches in general, Sacco said: "I like the way we handle the workload for our goaltending coach. (McLean) spends probably two, 2˝ weeks out of the month with us. He also goes down and sees the Lake Erie goaltenders, and the guys we drafted. I personally don't think we need to have him here all the time. I think sometimes that becomes overbearing."

“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny. And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Foppa2118

Varly wanted a full time guy when he got here too. He even thought McLean was full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Daddy
Are you bothered by the fact that the Avalanche don't have a full time goalie coach?

Is this good information? I heard that Kirk McLean works there full time.

It is good information from a Denver source.

Well… I don't know what our work will be like. But I hope Colorado will work with goaltenders every day. I am waiting for McLean to share his rich experience with me. Kirk played in the NHL a lot. He played for Vancouver in the 1994 Cup final. It is very interesting to work with such a person.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,wp8944

Old
09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
This seems to have gotten ugly: http://blog.mapleleafs.com/burke-bla...ncois-allaire/

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Kroenke needs money to feed his dogs. Allaire will not be signed here no money.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Since when did Burke no anything about goalies? All this proves is that Burke doesn't know anything about the goaltending position. You do not have three people working with one goalie. Maybe a goalie coach per a goalie but never more then that.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Haha, yea I'm sure he regrets he had to say that about Allaire publicly. He probably ran from his laptop to the press room as soon as he read what Allaire said. It just took him a day to get there.

99% of what Burke says is talking **** about someone or something. He's just getting more and more defensive because the leafs have missed the playoffs for 7 years, dont' have solid goaltending, or defense, and it's becoming clear to even his previous supporters that he's not a good enough GM to do anything with a team unless he inherits a cup contender and some HOFers fall in his lap.