HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getting the Marlies Ready for the Lockout

Old
09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Everybody is talking about lockout rosters but maybe in late November when the lockout is hopefully over, here is the possible lineup for the marlies.

D'amigo-colborne-Ashton
Hamilton-aucoin-Scott
Ross-zigomanis-mckegg
Deschamps-devane-Ryan

Ranger-blacker
Fraser-kostka
Yeo-gysbers

Owuya
Rynnas

Assuming that komarov has the 4th line left wing on the leafs.
I left players like acton out and abbot so that they can play in the echl to help their development.
I don't see a lot of rosters listing Colton Orr on them to provide the protection.

09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I don't see a lot of rosters listing Colton Orr on them to provide the protection.

devane and ross are youngsters and are part of our future, however, they can still provide a little bit of protection, but yes I do agree orr should be in lineup

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
leafsfuture

Scrivens wasnt assigned to the AHL.... which im really ok with.

Also its very possible Devane starts in the ECHL and Creszenzi goes back to Kitch. Hopefully Ross and Mckegg can both find spots with the Marlies. I would assume both are ready, and McKegg seems like a guy we could use on the PP.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Scrivens wasnt assigned to the AHL.... which im really ok with.

Also its very possible Devane starts in the ECHL and Creszenzi goes back to Kitch. Hopefully Ross and Mckegg can both find spots with the Marlies. I would assume both are ready, and McKegg seems like a guy we could use on the PP.
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve

The reason the Leafs didn't send Ben Scrivens to AHL: There was concern he would be claimed on waivers. And they didn't want to chance that.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Paris in Flames

Then what the hell is he going to do with himself.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve

The reason the Leafs didn't send Ben Scrivens to AHL: There was concern he would be claimed on waivers. And they didn't want to chance that.
I thought since the 1st year of Scrivens contract is a two way deal for this year only he can be sent down without going through waivers?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I thought since the 1st year of Scrivens contract is a two way deal for this year only he can be sent down without going through waivers?
Thought that too was the case however he would be subject to re-entry waivers and remember it's Simmons that tweeted that, I posted it because I can't find another explanation, why he wasn't sent down and was hoping someone else had the answer.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:23 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Thought that too was the case however he would be subject to re-entry waivers and remember it's Simmons that tweeted that, I posted it because I can't find another explanation, why he wasn't sent down and was hoping someone else had the answer.
Simmons has been wrong before. Remember his article saying Sundin's career was over because of some injury and we all know that wasn't true. So like you I hope someone can at least confirm that to be the reason Scrivines couldn't be sent down to the Marlies.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
leafsfuture

Based on Capgeek, it says Scrivens IS NOT waiver exempt.

It said that once Scrivens played 60 NHL games OR finished 2 seasons of his first NHL contract he would lose waiver exemption.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Simmons has been wrong before. Remember his article saying Sundin's career was over because of some injury and we all know that wasn't true. So like you I hope someone can at least confirm that to be the reason Scrivines couldn't be sent down to the Marlies.
That's right, in my opinion it has nothing to do with waivers at all, I just think that the Leafs are set on going with Reimer and Scrivens in net for the Leafs this year and Rynnas and Owuya are going to be the tandem on the Marlies.

We no longer have an ECHL team to send Owuya to, as the Reading Royals are now Washington's affiliate and having three goal tenders, would be a bit cumbersome and if Scrivens is playing on the Leafs, he will get lots of scrimmage time with the Leaf players, in their work outs.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Based on Capgeek, it says Scrivens IS NOT waiver exempt.

It said that once Scrivens played 60 NHL games OR finished 2 seasons of his first NHL contract he would lose waiver exemption.
Thank you for posting that information.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Besides Gardiner and Kadri, the Leafs assigned the following players to the Marlies: Spencer Abbott, Carter Ashton, Jesse Blacker, Tyler Brenner, Sam Carrick, Joe Colborne, Andrew Crescenzi, Jerry D'Amigo, Nicolas Deschamps, Jamie Devane, Simon Gysbers, Ryan Hamilton, Korbinian Holzer, Leo Komarov, Greg McKegg, Mark Owuya, Brad Ross, Kenny Ryan, Jussi Rynnas and Greg Scott.

In addition to Rielly, the Leafs assigned the following players to their junior clubs: Tyler Biggs (Oshawa Generals, OHL), David Broll (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL) and Stuart Percy (Mississauga Steelheads, OHL).

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

Marlies to win it all!

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Stuart Percy (Mississauga Steelheads, OHL)
Embarrassed to admit that I missed this rebranding entirely. Head wasn't really around junior hockey this summer, but even so as a former Mississauga resident, I feel a little dumb.

Good on Kerr for returning the Majors team name and logo to the College though.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 3259
Quote:
Besides Gardiner and Kadri, the Leafs assigned the following players to the Marlies: Spencer Abbott, Carter Ashton, Jesse Blacker, Tyler Brenner, Sam Carrick, Joe Colborne, Andrew Crescenzi, Jerry D'Amigo, Nicolas Deschamps, Jamie Devane, Simon Gysbers, Ryan Hamilton, Korbinian Holzer, Leo Komarov, Greg McKegg, Mark Owuya, Brad Ross, Kenny Ryan, Jussi Rynnas and Greg Scott.

In addition to Rielly, the Leafs assigned the following players to their junior clubs: Tyler Biggs (Oshawa Generals, OHL), David Broll (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL) and Stuart Percy (Mississauga Steelheads, OHL).
Good thing injuries happen because that's 22 prospects assigned to the marlies that will be competing for ice time with other people who are likely to be locks for a spot (someone like Aucoin). Hopefully the lockout ends soon because that would help free up some space.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Good thing injuries happen because that's 22 prospects assigned to the marlies that will be competing for ice time with other people who are likely to be locks for a spot (someone like Aucoin). Hopefully the lockout ends soon because that would help free up some space.
Marlies will have 4 AHL veteran Dmen alone when Paul Ranger, Mark Fraser, Mike Kostka and Dylan Yeo end up on the Marlies all having contacts for this season.

Keith Aucoin, Colton Orr, Mike Zigomanis, Will Acton are among forwards in the mix as will be Matt Frattin (currently on IR).

So there will be more bodies than roster spots for everyone.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Marlies will have 4 AHL veteran Dmen alone when Paul Ranger, Mark Fraser, Mike Kostka and Dylan Yeo end up on the Marlies all having contacts for this season.

Keith Aucoin, Colton Orr, Mike Zigomanis, Will Acton are among forwards in the mix as will be Matt Frattin (currently on IR).

So there will be more bodies than roster spots for everyone.
So I guess in the end we are looking at:

Forwards:
Aucoin
Zigomanis
Acton
Hamilton
Orr
Kadri
Frattin
Ashton
Colborne
Abbott
Brenner
Carrick
Crescenzi
D'Amigo
Deschamps
Devane
Komarov
McKegg
Ross
Ryan
Scott

Defense:
Ranger
Fraser
Kostka
Yeo
Gardiner
Blacker
Holzer
Gysbers

Goalies:
Owuya
Rynnas

Last edited by Grant: 09-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old
09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
So I guess in the end we are looking at:

Defense:
Mikus
Mikus like Marcel Mueller turned down Leafs qualifying offer and returned to play in Europe.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Rinzler

That Paul Ranger AHL contract seems like a pretty smart move right now.

Man we have a stacked Defense. The Marlies are going to be incredibly hard to score on.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Mikus like Marcel Mueller turned down Leafs qualifying offer and returned to play in Europe.
Ah okay, I didn't include Mueller because I remembered him but wasn't sure about Mikus, did a quick google search but found nothing so put him in, removing now hha.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

I know some of them will be moved to wing, but the marlies center depth will be amazing, even after the lockout is done.

Aucoin, Kadri, Zigomanis, Colborne, McKegg

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I know some of them will be moved to wing, but the marlies center depth will be amazing, even after the lockout is done.

Aucoin, Kadri, Zigomanis, Colborne, McKegg
They should send McKegg back to London and let Hunter make a pro out of him.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, Frattin, D'Amigo, Gardiner, Blacker and Holzer (is Holzer playing in the A this year?) really need big years. This could be the year all those guys take it to the next level. Gardiner, Holzer and Frattin are NHL calibre, Kadri and Blacker are fringe and need to prove they can turn capacity into performance and Ashton and Colborne have tons of potential waiting to be tapped. D'Amigo has been a great depth guy and could be a good 3rd line energy winger who can score for the leafs.

Honestly all of those 8 could make the NHL in 2013-2014, once the lock out is done. Can you imagine 8 new kids pushing for roster spots. The leafs issue of too much depth not enough high end talent becomes even worse.

1A - Kessel
1B - Lupul, Grabovski, JVR
2A -
2B - Kulemin, MacArthur, Connolly, Bozak
3A -
3B - Steckle, McClement, Lombardi
4A - Brown
4B - Komarov

Potential

1A -
1B -
2A - Kadri
2B - Frattin
3A - Colborne, Ashton,
3B - D'Amigo
4A -
4B -

All together

1A - Kessel
1B - Lupul, Grabovski, JVR
2A - Kadri
2B - Kulemin, MacArthur, Connolly, Bozak, Frattin
3A - Ashton, Colborne
3B - Steckle, McClement, Lombardi, D'Amigo
4A - Brown
4B - Komarov

Really could use a high end C and LW.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Rinzler

I don't see having too many NHL ready youngsters as a problem. It just means that we'll have a tremendous quantity of trade-able assets. High end talent is important but so is quantity. There's always situations unfolding for high end players to be acquired via trade like the Nash, Kessel, Staal trades etc.. It takes more than a player or two to make a team.

A lockout will benefit teams like the Oilers, Leafs, Lightning, etc...and really hurt the contenders. I'm just glad we aren't in the position we were last time around. The last lockout decimated the Leafs.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote