HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do you sacrifice Alfredsson to keep Redden and Chara ?

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
I agree it is a solid core. There is a slight decline in the top 4 and a lot will depend on Volchenkov and Meszaros stepping up their game.
i think meszaros had proven himself as a top 4 guy this year, especially when chara redden and phillips were out of the lineup

Old
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Player Contract Notes 2006-2007 Salary (US)
Dany Heatley $4.5 million
Daniel Alfredsson $4.339 million
Chris Phillips $2.09 million
Bryan Smolinski $1.786 million
Mike Fisher $1.5 million
Anton Volchenkov $1.3 million
Andrej Meszaros $984,200
Patrick Eaves $942,100

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=3164&hubname=

Chara and Redden at $12 mil. Spezza and Havlat at $6.0 mil. That would leave $ 6 mil for 8 players and $1.0 mil for injuries.

My guess is that Smolinski will probably have to go and Varada would be available.

Old
04-28-2006, 03:08 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmike74
First of all...sorry for my english !

Do you thing Ottawa Senators, GM, Muckler deal Alfredsson to keep Redden and Chara ?

If you sign Havlat between 3M$ 3.5M$ and you commit to 12 M$ for the two Towers (Redden & Chara)...I think you have to let a guy go ...Alfie...5M$...is a candidate...for a goalie...

I think the 2006 playoff, will be very important for some guy...

Last year, you let go Marian Hossa, nothing again him, but after some year, you have to get leadership (Heatley)...Do you think the same way again Alfredsson...great year...but playoff time...you have to win...

The Sens can let got one of Chara or Redden, but d-man...it's the key for win ! don't miss that !

Thanks !
His value is sky high, and I'd trade him in a second for a top notch young goalie (more like a Dipietro/Fleury than a more expensive Luongo, but him too)

Old
04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
His value is sky high, and I'd trade him in a second for a top notch young goalie (more like a Dipietro/Fleury than a more expensive Luongo, but him too)
Sounds like a recipe for a GM losing his job... Why do that when there are so many less risky solutions?

Wish the Isles had the Senator's problems.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Husky

Many people disagree on trading Alfie, however you have brought up some interesting dilemmas. Alfie does carry a pricetag, Havlat will be awarded a fat salary while Spezza is also an RFA. Redden and Chara bring a lot to the team but Alfredsson is more important than Redden.

In the long run the sens won't choose to keep either or; they will find out which player WANTS to be in Ottawa, and work out a salary below that of Alfredsson, because they have already stated they don't plan on shelling out any more than they do on Alfredsson so he is as good as a salary cap.

Old
04-29-2006, 12:34 AM
PhansterZ

Quote:

Old
04-29-2006, 11:48 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhansterZ
okay ...come back to me once Emery gets Ottawa eliminated.

Old
04-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
You'd trade Alfredsson for Dipetro or Fleury.... That's crazy. Besides Emery is every bit as good as either of those 2 goalies.

Old
04-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
no way can the sens give up alfredsson, he's got the whole package, talent, leadership...he's a great guy to have in the locker room

i'll tell you what though...you ship alfredsson to philly and i guess we can give you guys brashear

The Sens aren't interested in increasing the estrogen factor in their locker room.

Old
04-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Bouchard

I think Ottawa needs to keep the core of Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson and Havlat to stay at their current level. I'd keep Redden over Chara because I think Redden would take less money and IMHO is as good if not better than Chara anyway. The team could ultimately be built around these players and their form would probably not dip much. Whether the money is there to keep 5 stars I'm not too sure.

Old
04-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Pangu

The Sens will lose a top notch Dman if for no other reason than to open up spots for Meszaros and Lee. Meszaros is already a top-4 Dman and will be a star in a few years. Obviously he won't replace either Chara or Redden in the next couple years, but it would be a waste to have him playing a five spot. Plus we will have all sorts of defensive prospects that no one has ever heard of for the five and six spots cause thats how our team works. I think that they will try to keep one of the two big defencemen to lead the defance and will try to keep the offence together with Emery in net (if we win the cup). But its hard to make predictions until we find out how good this team is. I mean if Emery can win the cup then why get a new goalie?

Old
04-29-2006, 11:53 PM
beaarthur

I'll play devil's advocate and say "What's up with his plays these last ten or so games?"

Old
04-30-2006, 09:10 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
You'd trade Alfredsson for Dipetro or Fleury.... That's crazy. Besides Emery is every bit as good as either of those 2 goalies.
Emery is winning because the team in front of them is great ...next round, perhaps it will show more ...besides, Ottawa needs Spezza and Heatley to take over the Leadership of this team (and whichever of thier top D they resign) ...goaltending has been Ottawa's achiles heel, and will be still if Hasek doesnt make a miracle recovery.

Ottawa can out-talent any team in the league, but, if it gets outworked, and maybe outchanced, Emery will be Lalime all over again. *and I think Lalime WAS better than Emery is now ...Emery may prove me wrong, but, I wouldnt bet my house on it)

...if you dont like Dipetro or Fleury, Luongo would fit if he can get signed at a decent rate (which is unlikely)

Old
04-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Emery is winning because the team in front of them is great ...next round, perhaps it will show more ...besides, Ottawa needs Spezza and Heatley to take over the Leadership of this team (and whichever of thier top D they resign) ...goaltending has been Ottawa's achiles heel, and will be still if Hasek doesnt make a miracle recovery.

Ottawa can out-talent any team in the league, but, if it gets outworked, and maybe outchanced, Emery will be Lalime all over again. *and I think Lalime WAS better than Emery is now ...Emery may prove me wrong, but, I wouldnt bet my house on it)

...if you dont like Dipetro or Fleury, Luongo would fit if he can get signed at a decent rate (which is unlikely)
What have Dipetro and Fleury accomplished at the NHL level? Dipietro is a year older than Emery and Fleury is 2 years younger. Emery has been nothing short of outstanding this year for Ottawa. Ottawa has a great team and a great defence. This is clear but does that mean Emery's accomplishments don't matter? Emery was the defensive player of the month for March in the entire NHL. That is huge.

Dipetro and Fleury have great upside but no more or less than Emery does. Emery has done everything you could ask of him this season. He is very solid, rarely has a bad game and is clutch. The difference between Lalime and Emery is simple. Lalime was and excellent goaltender with little confidence. Lalime could be thrown off his game by a soft goal or if things go a little wrong. Emery has shown that he has a ton of confidence. He won't lose his confidence if he lets in a bad goal or if the Sens lose a game or 2.

But this thread is talking about trading Alfredsson and not Emery. Trading Alfredsson for an unproven goalie that may or may not be better than our current starter is insane. Trading Alfredsson for Luongo is also insane because Luongo will demand probably 2 million more than Alfredsson is making each season.

Trading Alfie would be the absolute worst thing the Sens could do. The worst. It would be like Detroit trading Yzerman in 1999. Or Colorado trading Sakic in 2002 or Montreal trading Koivu. Nothing would rip apart the Sens more. Losing Chara and Redden as UFAs wouldn't be as bad.

Old
05-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Christ

By sacrificing Alfie do you mean just trading him or buying him out or do you mean like ritually sacrificing him to our heathen gods? If it is the latter option I am all for it

Old
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Is there any chance of Sens keeping both Chara and Redden with out removing any of the ones with big contracts, if the cap goes up?

Old
05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
IranCondraAffair

Player Salary
Alfie 4.35
Heatley 4.5
Spezza 3.0
Havlat 3.5
Scheafer 1.2
Chara 7.5
Phillips 1.95
Smolinski 1.75
Hasek 1.1
Varada 1.2
Volchenkov 1.2
Neil 0.75
Vermette 0.75
Pothier/6 D-Man 0.6
Redden 6.0
Emery 0.75
Eaves 0.95
Meszaros 0.90
Kelly 0.5
McGratton 0.45
Schubert 0.45
Malec 0.45
Arnason 1.2
Total 45

Disclaimer: This is a pretty basic lineup, and there might be small errors since I don't know the exact salaries of all the players involved as per the salary cap. By and large though, it should be relativly free from major errors. There will also undoubtably be some argument as to what salaries some players will demand. Basically though it accomplishes what it was designed for, an outline of a Sens roster should they decide to make contract offers to all three of Havlat, Chara, and Redden without making any trades/dumps/etc...

Old
05-04-2006, 06:54 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe
Player Salary
Alfie 4.35
Heatley 4.5
Spezza 3.0
Havlat 3.5
Scheafer 1.2
Chara 7.5
Phillips 1.95
Smolinski 1.75
Hasek 1.1
Varada 1.2
Volchenkov 1.2
Neil 0.75
Vermette 0.75
Pothier/6 D-Man 0.6
Redden 6.0
Emery 0.75
Eaves 0.95
Meszaros 0.90
Kelly 0.5
McGratton 0.45
Schubert 0.45
Malec 0.45
Arnason 1.2
Total 45

Disclaimer: This is a pretty basic lineup, and there might be small errors since I don't know the exact salaries of all the players involved as per the salary cap. By and large though, it should be relativly free from major errors. There will also undoubtably be some argument as to what salaries some players will demand. Basically though it accomplishes what it was designed for, an outline of a Sens roster should they decide to make contract offers to all three of Havlat, Chara, and Redden without making any trades/dumps/etc...
Nice, thanks. so it all comes down to how much Chara and Redden will be looking for. I really think that neither Chara or Redden would "mind" lower their wages to stay on a winning team rather then come to another team who is rebuilding. Both at 5m X 2-3years? Still an awfull lot of money.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I see Chris Phillips getting dealt if the Sens are trying to cut salary. He is a good enough defenseman but they can more easily replace his minutes with their current stock of blueliners.
plus you can get an asset for phillips.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
znk

I'm all for it!

Habs could send Bonk to Ottawa for Alfredson. Ottawa saves 2 millions right there!

Old
05-06-2006, 05:06 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
I see Chris Phillips getting dealt if the Sens are trying to cut salary. He is a good enough defenseman but they can more easily replace his minutes with their current stock of blueliners.
plus you can get an asset for phillips.
This is insane. Phillips is an excellent defensemen who's underpaid currently.

Closed Thread