HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Strong 2013 UFA crop

Old
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Strong 2013 UFA crop

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-UFA-crop.html

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anaheim Ducks right winger Teemu Selanne and Ottawa Senators right winger Daniel Alfredsson have been excluded, as it is expected they’ll retire if this lockout wipes out the entire season.
That would be such a ****** way to end two great careers.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I doubt half of them make it to UFA(Weiss, Edler, Getzlaf, Zajac will all probably re-sign, off the top of my head.)

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

ferry for perry

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I doubt half of them make it to UFA(Weiss, Edler, Getzlaf, Zajac will all probably re-sign, off the top of my head.)
Agreed, I think the only chance they have of making UFA is if this lockout goes all the way to June or so at which point the players say 'may as well see what I can get at free agency now'. I hope and doubt the lockout doesn't go that long.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
That would be such a ****** way to end two great careers.
Or Selanne has another miracle surgery and comes back better than ever...part 2! 43 year old Selanne finally returns to his rookie form!

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Strong free agent crop? Half those names if not more should be resigned by their current teams...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
People always say this as if they think they will get some brownie points for supporting those teams or whatever. Is there any factual reason to believe that any of these guys are going to resign?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans420 View Post
People always say this as if they think they will get some brownie points for supporting those teams or whatever. Is there any factual reason to believe that any of these guys are going to resign?
Yes, that all of them have mentioned how they love playing for their team, are players integral to their teams, etc. I think Jimmy Howard should also be up there.

As for scoring "brownie points," I'm not even sure how that applies here.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:31 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
No factual reason, just reasoning based on probability. Every year we get the same type of list - a year before FA actually happens, then through the year most of those players get locked up. The only reason next year will be any different (again based on history) is if there's a full year lockout. Otherwise we'll see what we see every year - a hugh list of quality UFA's the year before, with a lot of them locked up before they actually hit FA.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Yes, that all of them have mentioned how they love playing for their team, are players integral to their teams, etc. I think Jimmy Howard should also be up there.

As for scoring "brownie points," I'm not even sure how that applies here.

okay you convinced me bro.

Maybe half those guys resign but it's not a given. A lot of people see Getzlaf walking for example.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
No factual reason, just reasoning based on probability. Every year we get the same type of list - a year before FA actually happens, then through the year most of those players get locked up. The only reason next year will be any different (again based on history) is if there's a full year lockout. Otherwise we'll see what we see every year - a hugh list of quality UFA's the year before, with a lot of them locked up before they actually hit FA.
Regardless of the possibility the 2013 UFA crop is looking like the deepest one I have seen since the last lockout

Old
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

Maybe half those guys resign but it's not a given. A lot of people see Getzlaf walking for example.
A lot of people see Getzlaf walking because they want him to walk.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:

Well, according to Anaheim fans, Getzlaf has settled down with his familly and has constantly talked about staying there, so I trust them. They also say Perry has been much more quiet about what he intends to do, which is why I didn't put him up.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Every free agent crop looks strong eight months before free agency starts, most of these guys will be resigned or traded and signed.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Well, according to Anaheim fans, Getzlaf has settled down with his familly and has constantly talked about staying there, so I trust them. They also say Perry has been much more quiet about what he intends to do, which is why I didn't put him up.
It's pretty pointless to base opinions on what amounts to hearsay and interpretation of statements which are intended to sound a certain way

Old
09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

As a Devils fan, not too sure about Zajac.

The Devils would seriously have to screw something up for Clarkson to leave though. Seems to be a loyal guy and was really appreciaitve and thankful that Lou gave him a shot.

Zajac is in the same situation as ZP in that he has no ties to NJ and there's a good chance he goes home to Winnipeg or goes elsewhere.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Every free agent crop looks strong eight months before free agency starts, most of these guys will be resigned or traded and signed.
This situation doesn't fit what you describe as without a CBA, none of these players will be signed. So, if in a worst case scenario that we miss an entire season, every one of these players will be up for grabs by everyone, which is not in the spirit of what you've posted.

Probably best to read the article...

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
As a Devils fan, not too sure about Zajac.

The Devils would seriously have to screw something up for Clarkson to leave though. Seems to be a loyal guy and was really appreciaitve and thankful that Lou gave him a shot.

Zajac is in the same situation as ZP in that he has no ties to NJ and there's a good chance he goes home to Winnipeg or goes elsewhere.
Alright, my bad. I had specifiaclly heard things about Weiss and Getzlaf, I think I unconsciously threw in another centre of similar calibre.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Zajac wants to follow in Parise's footsteps and come to Minny.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Crosby, Vlasic, Burrows, Hartnell, Enstrom, Mike Fischer, Lethonen and J.Staal were supposed to be on that list and they have already been re-signed.

Last edited by Booba: 09-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
This.

We hear every year about how the next FA crop looks strong, but by the time we reach July 1, 90% of those players have re-signed. Why should this year be any different? Lockout notwithstanding.

09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Crosby, Vlasic, Burrows, Hartnell, Enstrom, Mike Fischer, Lethonen and J.Staal were supposed to be on that list and they have already been re-signed.
Because if some players re-sign all of them will re-sign... flawless logic.

I agree that a large part will be off the market come July 1 but things like "I love playing here" mean nothing. What exactly do you expect them to say when people ask those stupid questions. If they want to prove how much they love their team/city then put pen to paper.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This.

We hear every year about how the next FA crop looks strong, but by the time we reach July 1, 90% of those players have re-signed. Why should this year be any different? Lockout notwithstanding.
If the cap goes down in the new CBA then a lot of teams who have been holding cap space in reserve for these upcoming UFAs could find themselves without enough room. Their UFAs may be more inclined to look to test free agency then settle for less money. I thought it was pretty obvious why this year was different.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
If the cap goes down in the new CBA then a lot of teams who have been holding cap space in reserve for these upcoming UFAs could find themselves without enough room. Their UFAs may be more inclined to look to test free agency then settle for less money. I thought it was pretty obvious why this year was different.
This. I think the pending lockout has shaped the last two off-seasons as well as the numbers re-signing during this agreement reflect the CBA itself. Things could get even more re-sign friendly (hard to see it going even more in that direction) or become drastically different under the next CBA with more free agency movement, we don't know. Of course if the owners get their way almost most of the guys listed actually don't get UFA status. Very early to look at these scenarios.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote