HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Roy or Hasek?

View Poll Results: Roy or Hasek
Patrick Roy 77 33.92%
Dominik Hasek 150 66.08%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
You think it might have something to do with the fact that they had the best REGULAR season goalie ever....?
No. I'd say the reasons for Buffalo finishing ahead of the Habs in the standings, with more goals scored in addition to less allowed, have more to do than with just one person, or the relative differences between two players judged 1-2 all-time at their position.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
lol @ the "Roy because playoffs" argument.

Hasek almost won the Cup by himself in '98 and '99 on teams that didn't even belong in the playoffs.
Heh yeah, that's diff between Hasek and Roy in the playoffs, "Hasek almost won a couple of Cups by himself" compared to "Roy DID win a couple of Cups by himself".

Either way, I not even arguing against Hasek being the best ever, I also believe this.
I'm just saying that Roy's playoff accomplishments make it a hell of a lot closer than some are making out here.
Then again, going by the "Is Roy an Av or Hab" poll, most people posting saw very little of Roy as a Hab.

That would also be why I think a lot of sportswriters have it closer as well. Most of them DID see Roy and what he did in a Habs uni.
What Roy did in '86 and to a lesser extent in '93 makes what Quick did this year or what Thomas did last year down right amateur by comparison, believe it!

Old
09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
You think it might have something to do with the fact that they had the best REGULAR season goalie ever....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
That's how great Hasek is, he lead a worse team to a better record.
Yes it was ALL Hasek. He's the reason Buffalo scored more goals, had a better powerplay and had a better shot differential than Montreal right?

This Montreal team- http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000451995.html

Is just SO vastly superior to this Buffalo team- http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000331995.html

It's not even funny.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
If it is so simple, why does Hasek win these polls every single time?
He only wins them on HF Boards.[ Where bias,dislike ,limited hockey knowledge,age, etc is involved ]
I've yet to see Hasek win over Roy in a poll made by sportswriters and NHL insiders .
Roy always comes out ahead.I wonder why?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
He only wins them on HF Boards.[ Where bias,dislike ,limited hockey knowledge,age, etc is involved ]
I've yet to see Hasek win over Roy in a poll made by sportswriters and NHL insiders .
He's Canadian.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
lol @ the "Roy because playoffs" argument.

Hasek almost won the Cup by himself in '98 and '99 on teams that didn't even belong in the playoffs.
Roy carried his team on his back 3 times to win cups.Thats much better than almost.
The only time Hasek won the cup was on a stacked best team in the league.
My grandmother could have played net for the Wings and won the cup that season.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
I went trough this like two hours ago....

Basically, every single hockey analysts from Europe puts Hasek at the #1.

Something along the lines 40-60% of hockey analysts from NA puts Hasek at #1

About 7-8/10 fans put Hasek at number 1.

I have no horse in this race, i just believe the facts and the fans. Mostly what i see, is Hasek #1.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Heh yeah, that's diff between Hasek and Roy in the playoffs, "Hasek almost won a couple of Cups by himself" compared to "Roy DID win a couple of Cups by himself".
That is a load of BS.

Any HOF goalie playing with Robinson and Chelios SHOULD win the cup. Not to mention 3 great forwards in Lemiuexm Naslund and Smith. If anything its a fail that the Habs didn't get back to the Cup finals because Roy played like absolute crap against the Flyers

Old
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
He's Canadian.
The Canadian conspiracy.
Here comes the excuses.

Real easy.
Amateurs pick Hasek
while
Professionals pick Roy.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
mytor4*

Quote:

I have no horse in this race, i just believe the facts and the fans. Mostly what i see, is Hasek #1.
About 7-8/10 fans put Hasek at number 1.---7-8/10 that are 16 yrs and under.
You show me proof where 40-60% of hockey analysts from NA puts Hasek at #1.If that was the truth you would see Hasek win in most polls.But he doesn't even win in one of them.
Thats just something your making up to suit your opinion.
Go to ANY poll done by N.A. hockey analysts and they have Roy ahead EVERY TIME.
You claim they have Hasek at # 1. Show my at least 1 poll where they do. You should have no problem bring up that poll since 40-60 % claim he is #1

Old
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
That is a load of BS.

Any HOF goalie playing with Robinson and Chelios SHOULD win the cup. Not to mention 3 great forwards in Lemiuexm Naslund and Smith. If anything its a fail that the Habs didn't get back to the Cup finals because Roy played like absolute crap against the Flyers
3 YES 3 Conn Smythe trophys seems to differ with you.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:22 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
3 YES 3 Conn Smythe trophys seems to differ with you.
Differ how? Roy played on great/all time great teams and won cups like any HOF goalie would of done. Or are you trying to tell me Chris Chelios and Larry Robinson were just scrubs who Roy carried?

Old
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Differ how? Roy played on great/all time great teams and won cups like any HOF goalie would of done. Or are you trying to tell me Chris Chelios and Larry Robinson were just scrubs who Roy carried?
3 Conn Smythe tells me he was the big difference why they won the cup.
The only player to accomplish that.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
mytor4*

Originally Posted by TAnnala

Well TAnnala .I'm still waiting for some kind of proof backing up that statment.
Something tells me i'll be waiting a long time for that proof.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
The Canadian conspiracy.
Here comes the excuses.

Real easy.
Amateurs pick Hasek
while
Professionals pick Roy.
Seriously...Anyone who picks Hasek is an amateur? Far from clear cut, and the need to act pretentious about it is unneccesary as this can be debated forever and likely will until someone better comes along.

Roy surpassed a .920 SV% only three times in his 18 NHL seasons. Hasek hit .930+ five times. All on the Buffalo Sabres, a team that HoF Grant Fuhr couldn't maintain a .900 SV% on. Roy's career high in SV% was beaten by his backup David Aebischer who had a .931 SV%. SV% doesn't mean everything, but it is the most important stat for a goalie and clearly favors Hasek. Worst case they are close, so drop the attitude.

Last edited by BruinsNeedaRussian: 09-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Now I understund.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1260053&page=3

Old
09-18-2012, 04:42 PM
McTankel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Seriously...Anyone who picks Hasek is an amateur? Far from clear cut, and the need to act pretentious about it is unneccesary as this can be debated forever and likely will until someone better comes along.

Roy surpassed a .920 SV% only three times in his 18 NHL seasons. Hasek his .930+ five times. All on the Buffalo Sabres, a team that HoF Grant Fuhr couldn't maintain a .900 SV% on. Roy's career high in SV% was beaten by his backup David Aebischer who had a .931 SV%. SV% doesn't mean everything, but it is the most important stat for a goalie and clearly favors Hasek. Worst case they are close, so drop the attitude.
/Thread

You should of watched the talent level of the players Hasek had to carry, I've played with better players in bar leagues IMHO.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
mytor4*

Quote:

Roy surpassed a .920 SV% only three times in his 18 NHL seasons. Hasek his .930+ five times. All on the Buffalo Sabres, a team that HoF Grant Fuhr couldn't maintain a .900 SV% on. Roy's career high in SV% was beaten by his backup David Aebischer who had a .931 SV%. SV% doesn't mean everything, but it is the most important stat for a goalie and clearly favors Hasek. Worst case they are close, so drop the attitude.
Attitude?Who do you think you are?
Please using Fuhr in any comparision is just too funny.The Guy doesn't even come close to these guys.Hell Fuhr didn't even have a 900 SV% for his career and he played on one of the best team every assembled for 9 season.
Don't bring Fuhr in to back up your opinion.You just lose on that point.
Also on the amateur/Professionals post.
All i'm saying that in every poll that Professionals have done in N.A. i have yet to see Hasek win but in boards where we,us,non-Professionals vote -Hasek wins.
There's something to this picture.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Attitude?Who do you think you are?
Please using Fuhr in any comparision is just too funny.The Guy doesn't even come close to these guys.Hell Fuhr didn't even have a 900 SV% for his career and he played on one of the best team every assembled for 9 season.
Don't bring Fuhr in to back up your opinion.You just lose on that point.
Complete dodge of the main points of my post.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

How much do those European hockey analysts follow the NhL?

Quote:
This is so far fetched, I have trouble to think you're being honest. There is no #1 for the majority of hockey analysts that I've seen. Many pick Hasek, many pick Roy, many pick Brodeur, many pick Plante, many pick Sawchuk, a few pick Hall. The majority that I have seen pick Roy over Hasek, right or wrong.

Quote:
Maybe on hfboards, but hfboards is certainly not representative of all hockey fans.

Quote:
The "facts" you are posting are nonsense

Old
09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
That is a load of BS.

No actually, the only BS here is what you're trying to spout.
Big Bird was a declining 36 year old and and Chelios was a season removed from being a rookie in '86.
Bobby smith was a good player but he sure as hell wasn't the superstar you're making him out to be lol.
Lemieux was a clutch playoff goal scorer but he also wasn't a top player.
Naslund was very good but again, he was no super star, sorry.

Where you truly show your knowledge, or in this case, supreme lack of, is mention of the Flyers series in '87.
Considering Roy was injured earlier in the playoffs, tried to come back in Game 4 but was obviously not ready yet and let in 4 goals on 20 shots before giving way back to Hayward. It was the only game he played in that series sooooo....I'm not sure what the hell you're trying to talk about!

Here's the Box scores from all 6 games
Game 1 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870070
Game 2 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870072
Game 3 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870074
Game 4 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870076
Game 5 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870078
Game 6 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870080

Old
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
mytor4*

[QUOTE=TheDevilMadeMe;54430643]

This is so far fetched, I have trouble to think you're being honest.

I've asked him to back that statment up with some kind of proof.He seems to have disappeared after asking that.
I hate it when statments are pulled out of the air and can't be backed up.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

You're comparing the save percentage of a goalie whose peak was during the high scoring late 80s and early 90s with a goalie whose peak was during the low scoring mid-late 90s.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You're comparing the save percentage of a goalie whose peak was during the high scoring late 80s and early 90s with a goalie whose peak was during the low scoring mid-late 90s.
Definitely no exact way to compare their stats, but they were about the same age just Roy broke into the NHL earlier. With little NHL experience, Hasek was posting a .930 SV%. Something Roy never did. No fair way to compare, but with how much higher of a SV% Hasek sported on a poor team, it has to be considered close.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Patrick Roy.