HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [2-1-0] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Adam91

vCash: 500
Not sure if this has been reported but Spencer Bennett has a tryout with the Bulldogs and will be at camp

Old
09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Played with Gallagher in Vancouver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I have a question about a potential habs training camp in... let's say November. Would they empty the Bulldogs of all their players for a couple of weeks and have a normal camp? Or is it a half camp and most rookies will stay in Hamilton?
It's hard to say, but the half camp with only a few top prospects joining the pro team camp would seem likely. Depends on the length of camp and the amount of pre-season games.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
One thing to keep in mind tho is that in a non-lockout year AHL teams use a lot of players in a season because they cope with injury and NHL call ups. Even if they rotate a lot of the young players (Holland, Quailer) and less useful depth players (Hagel, Lefeb, Berger) shouldn't some of them play in the ECHL?
There is room for all our of prospects in the lineup. I'd keep Conboy, Masse and Fortier as a depth. I'd send Lefevbre and Berger to the ECHL. If Holland and/or Quailer aren't ready to play in the AHL, they could also be sent to Wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Safe to say Hagel replaces him right? Conboy doesn't seem to have a lot of NHL potential (not with us anyways, Schultz with similar role probably has more upside)
Hagel is strickly a goon. Conboy finished 6th in scoring in Hamilton in 2010-2011 and 2nd in PIM.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
so what is this AHL package? could anyone direct me?

Old
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
There is room for all our of prospects in the lineup. I'd keep Conboy, Masse and Fortier as a depth. I'd send Lefevbre and Berger to the ECHL. If Holland and/or Quailer aren't ready to play in the AHL, they could also be sent to Wheeling.

Hagel is strickly a goon. Conboy finished 6th in scoring in Hamilton in 2010-2011 and 2nd in PIM.
Conboy is no longer with the Canadiens organization. He wasn't qualified and signed with Trenton of the ECHL.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Les Bulldogs s'entendent avec Stefan Chaput, Olivier Fortier et Daultan Leveille. Tous des contrats 2 volets LAH / East coast league.

There's your depth.

Yes, that is the same Leveille the Thrashers wasted a 1st round pick on. 9 points in 21 NCAA games last year.

And Chaput is a fringe 3rd line type in the A.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I have a question about a potential habs training camp in... let's say November. Would they empty the Bulldogs of all their players for a couple of weeks and have a normal camp? Or is it a half camp and most rookies will stay in Hamilton?
I don't think they would empty Hamilton since what would be the point and who would play the games for the Dogs? Perhaps a couple players would get called up if they wanted a look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
so what is this AHL package? could anyone direct me?
http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

I get it every year, it's usually 150 bucks US, not very good quality especially for Hamilton's home games, but better then radio and I really like the archive feature, at least in the past for when the Habs and Dogs played at the same time I could just watch the Dogs the next day.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
JHabs61

Can't wait for the Bulldogs vs Marlies preseason game on the 8th. Its in my home town and even better, only $10. Hoping theres some signed merch.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

You might want to add 2 more for the Dogs....rumor is that Kevin Gagné and Stephen McAulay were invited.

Don't care too much about Gagné, undersized and don't see too much upside there while McAulay, in my opinion, has been underachieving or I had him higher than he should be at. Needs to work on his skating big time. And needs to put it all together. Great size though.

Nothing earth shattering though.....

https://twitter.com/station_nation/s...77532964769792

Old
09-19-2012, 09:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I liked Gagne. Surprised how well he did as a literal midget. Unlikely NHL candidate but I think he'll make a good AHL defenseman. MacAulay plays LW. That's all that matters. We need LWs.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Gagne played quite a bit with Beaulieu on a pairing IIRC.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:31 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs61 View Post
Can't wait for the Bulldogs vs Marlies preseason game on the 8th. Its in my home town and even better, only $10. Hoping theres some signed merch.
The game in Cobourg is $25

Anyone know where to find a broadcast schedule for the Bulldogs?

Old
09-20-2012, 08:18 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

If anything, they'll be on LeafsTV sometimes when they're playing the Marlies.. CBC I'm sure will pick up some games seeing as they have a huge hole to fill programming wise, and they broadcast games last season as well. Sportsnet will also be broadcasting games, I think they had a few last season. We'll have to wait and see what the networks do before we get a schedule, as the Bulldogs are otherwise rarely televised.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You might want to add 2 more for the Dogs....rumor is that Kevin Gagné and Stephen McAulay were invited.

Don't care too much about Gagné, undersized and don't see too much upside there while McAulay, in my opinion, has been underachieving or I had him higher than he should be at. Needs to work on his skating big time. And needs to put it all together. Great size though.
Well at least Beaulieu will have some familiar faces at camp. But some ECHL depth would be good to see. Never understood why they didn't have more guys on AHL contracts in the ECHL, so having some more bodies sounds good especially with all the injury problems the team has had in the past in not being able to dress a full roster.

Last edited by montreal: 09-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old
09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well at least Beaulieu will have some familiar faces at camp. But some ECHL depth would be good to see. Never understood why they didn't have more guys on AHL contracts in the ECHL, so having some more bodies sounds good especially with all the injury problems the team has had in the past in not being able to dress a full roster.
Totally agree. At one point, you have to believe that in the deal, Wheeling asked for the Habs to be a little more present. And it won't be bad for the Dogs either instead of going all out and sign people all over the place they don't know too much when they'll have injuries.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
I agree about having depth in the ECHL, it just seems we only get guys who are underwhelming in terms of what they have done so far. I guess it is harder to get the better ones if you can't guarantee them a spot in the AHL, probably why De Simone signed to an AHL deal with the Devils instead of a two way with Hamilton. Just seems a waste of time with all these undersized players when we already lack size in the organization. Prefer taking a chance on a couple of bigger guys and hope they can develop in the ECHL.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
I agree about having depth in the ECHL, it just seems we only get guys who are underwhelming in terms of what they have done so far. I guess it is harder to get the better ones if you can't guarantee them a spot in the AHL, probably why De Simone signed to an AHL deal with the Devils instead of a two way with Hamilton. Just seems a waste of time with all these undersized players when we already lack size in the organization. Prefer taking a chance on a couple of bigger guys and hope they can develop in the ECHL.
The Bulldogs' D seems pretty big to me, especially Nash, Stejskal, Tinordi, Pateryn and Hagel. I know you mean the entire Habs organization, but don't think these AHL signings are made with the idea of eventually grooming those signed for jobs in Montreal. Next season Dietz, Thrower and maybe Bennett and Nygren will go pro, I don't think there will be much room to give out NHL contracts anyway.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
HABitual Fan

I am looking more at the forwards then the defense. We have a few smallish skilled forwards in the pipeline but maybe we can develop a late bloomer big guy to play alongside them down the road. As to the chances of one of these ECHL signings ever making it, it only takes finding one like Desharnais to make the exercise worth it. It can only be a win-win situation as you are not tying up spots on the 50 man limit like we did with Lefebvre, Berger,Mayer and in the past Masse and Fortier. I think St. Denis was also an ECHL signing before earning his contract.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I am looking more at the forwards then the defense. We have a few smallish skilled forwards in the pipeline but maybe we can develop a late bloomer big guy to play alongside them down the road. As to the chances of one of these ECHL signings ever making it, it only takes finding one like Desharnais to make the exercise worth it. It can only be a win-win situation as you are not tying up spots on the 50 man limit like we did with Lefebvre, Berger,Mayer and in the past Masse and Fortier. I think St. Denis was also an ECHL signing before earning his contract.
Ah, yes, I agree with that. Unless Archambault takes a big step this season, I'd see rather see the Habs sign an undrafted prospect going forward. I remember rumors of Sarault, Ranford and Ciampini being invited to Montreal's camp - I wonder if they'd tryout for Hamilton, with the idea that if they do well, they could be offered NHL contracts when the lockout ends? Of course, the best of those (Sarault and Ranford) are also on the small side...

Old
09-21-2012, 08:35 AM
kernkraft

For other people like me wondering about Sarault and Ranford; this isn't exactly a proof of anything. But still...

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475896
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8477098

(did a search and didn't see it posted)

Old
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Zack Stortini has signed with the Bulldogs.

He'll bring some toughness we had lost with Henry going overseas.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I thought I saw someone ask if any Hamilton games would get moved to NHL rinks due to the lockout. Dogs just announced one road game against Rochester is being moved to the Sabres rink.

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/pres...?article_id=51

Dogs will now play 4 games in NHL rinks. 2 at the Bell Center, 1 Leafs and 1 Sabres. (the good news is that the games at NHL rinks usually means high quaility video feeds on AHL live)

Quote:
I'd say some are underwhelming but several others weren't. Yann Danis was a finalist for the Hobey Baker and was the main reason for Brown University having such a good year. Brock Trotter was the leading scorer of his team at the time he was kicked out of Denver. Desharnais put up 323 points in his final 3 seasons in the Q. There are a few though that I never understood why they were signed, Mayer, Michaud, Lefebvre come to mind.

Quote:
I think St. Denis was also an ECHL signing before earning his contract.
Yes St-Denis was a undrafted FA that we signed to an AHL contract first and then after showing good things in the ECHL/AHL he got an NHL contract.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Takashi

anyone knows where we could watch bulldogs stream?

Old
09-21-2012, 05:37 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
It certainly will be a feather in Rick Dudley's cap and the front office for signing Daulton Levielle to a contract with Hamilton Bulldog's this week.Obviously his last two years in hockey have been difficult by anyone's standards,the story can be found @www.hamilton bulldogs.com. The gist being that having played some summer hockey with Stamkos & Tavares he realized if he was going to make the NHL he'd need to work twice as hard as those guys.After working with Gary Roberts and getting into great shape,his knee is healed and it sounds like he's definitely ready to go for it.Good Luck Daulton,I wish you the best and the Habs too as he would give the Habs back the 1st round pick they traded in 2008.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:49 PM
HABitual Fan

Quote:

I'd say some are underwhelming but several others weren't. Yann Danis was a finalist for the Hobey Baker and was the main reason for Brown University having such a good year. Brock Trotter was the leading scorer of his team at the time he was kicked out of Denver. Desharnais put up 323 points in his final 3 seasons in the Q. There are a few though that I never understood why they were signed, Mayer, Michaud, Lefebvre come to mind.

Yes St-Denis was a undrafted FA that we signed to an AHL contract first and then after showing good things in the ECHL/AHL he got an NHL contract.
When I said underwhelming, I was referring to the current group not overall historically. I can understand offering a spot to a player who at least had decent stats in junior or college, but some of these guys they have invited or signed have done nothing to suggest they have any usefullness. I don't think you should compare players signed as FA when still in junior like Lefebvre to guys who completed their junior hockey and there is a bigger sample size available to evaluate them. I just fail to understand how other teams bring in the cream of these free wallets and we wind up with the bottom of the barrel. i think too many of these invites are because of connections rather then merit.

While we invite Stephen MacAulay 15 goals 20 assists 35 points a teammate of Nathan Beaulieu in Saint John, Toronto invites Adam Hughesman 50 goals 66 assists 116 points a teammate of Patrick Holland on Tri-City. All these St. John invites with Gallant coaching here remind me of all the Drummondville ones when Boucher was coaching in Hamilton. Hopefully the hiring of Madden will improve this with regards the NCAA players, now we need someone to do the same for the CHL.

Closed Thread