HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

G Andrey Makarov signs 3 yr NHL contract with Buffalo Sabres

Old
09-15-2012, 07:47 PM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I wouldn't really hold that against scouts. Usually players that are passed over that end up succeeding do so because of a large amount of self-determination over a long period of time.
There's no way to accurately predict that.
Once you get passed over it is a huge uphill battle from there (which was created by the scouts if they should have been drafted). They must clearly outplay the players who were drafted, otherwise they will be ignored.

Just in this past draft alone I'm shocked that Warren Steele wasn't drafted. I can guarantee you that will come back on the scouts. And he played on Canada's U18 team with Matthew Dumba. Plenty of exposure there. No reason to think they couldn't have botched this one (Makarov) up as well.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
mgeise

With an ECHL affiliate now there really isn't a downside to this signing. I'm all for plenty of goalie depth in the system. If he can channel his WJC performance, though unlikely, he could even make an NHL impact at some point.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:56 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Once you get passed over it is a huge uphill battle from there (which was created by the scouts if they should have been drafted). They must clearly outplay the players who were drafted, otherwise they will be ignored.

Just in this past draft alone I'm shocked that Warren Steele wasn't drafted. I can guarantee you that will come back on the scouts. And he played on Canada's U18 team with Matthew Dumba. Plenty of exposure there. No reason to think they couldn't have botched this one (Makarov) up as well.
If a player has any upside, they'll find their way.
Being passed over is actually better for most players, as then they have the opportunity to choose their destination, which means they can avoid systems that will limit their progress.

Steele wasn't drafted because he doesn't project to be much at this point.
From what I've seen, I'd compare him to a lesser version of Isles sixth rounder Jesse Graham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
With an ECHL affiliate now there really isn't a downside to this signing. I'm all for plenty of goalie depth in the system. If he can channel his WJC performance, though unlikely, he could even make an NHL impact at some point.
They actually no longer have an ECHL affiliate.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:30 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
If a player has any upside, they'll find their way.
Being passed over is actually better for most players, as then they have the opportunity to choose their destination, which means they can avoid systems that will limit their progress.

Steele wasn't drafted because he doesn't project to be much at this point.
From what I've seen, I'd compare him to a lesser version of Isles sixth rounder Jesse Graham.
Doubtful. It is never advantageous to be passed over as it requires now luck and outplaying all those drafted players just to get back to the same point they are at.

As for your Steele assessment, all I can say is that I like Makarov's odds more now.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Is this official? Their website still has them as the Sabres affiliate. I can't find any announcements of this. I would assume they would then pick up another affiliate who doesn't have an NHL team as they need the spots this year.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Doubtful. It is never advantageous to be passed over as it requires now luck and outplaying all those drafted players just to get back to the same point they are at.

As for your Steele assessment, all I can say is that I like Makarov's odds more now.
If you have the talent, someone will find you.
You can play out your five years in major junior and spend all five years of your CIS scholarship and as long as you project to do something useful at the NHL level, someone will come calling.

And yes, obviously Makarov is the better prospect at this point.
He's not terrible or anything, I'm just not a fan of him and think he's really overhyped on this site.

Quote:
Is this official? Their website still has them as the Sabres affiliate. I can't find any announcements of this. I would assume they would then pick up another affiliate who doesn't have an NHL team as they need the spots this year.
Yes, that's the official ECHL site.
Gwinnett's site does still list them as an affiliate, but they announced a few weeks back that they had renewed their affiliation with Phoenix/Portland and made no mention of Buffalo/Rochester whatsoever.
I believe it's an exclusive affiliation.

The only teams without affiliations are Alaska, Bakersfield, and Las Vegas, which are pretty much useless to us given their location.
There's been speculation that they'll affiliate with Elmira but that team is a mess right now.
They could affiliate with a CHL team possibly, but that whole league sucks and could fold at any moment.
If they don't figure anything out, they could just loan out players without an affiliate.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:03 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
If you have the talent, someone will find you.
You can play out your five years in major junior and spend all five years of your CIS scholarship and as long as you project to do something useful at the NHL level, someone will come calling.

And yes, obviously Makarov is the better prospect at this point.
He's not terrible or anything, I'm just not a fan of him and think he's really overhyped on this site.

Yes, that's the official ECHL site.
Gwinnett's site does still list them as an affiliate, but they announced a few weeks back that they had renewed their affiliation with Phoenix/Portland and made no mention of Buffalo/Rochester whatsoever.
I believe it's an exclusive affiliation.

The only teams without affiliations are Alaska, Bakersfield, and Las Vegas, which are pretty much useless to us given their location.
There's been speculation that they'll affiliate with Elmira but that team is a mess right now.
They could affiliate with a CHL team possibly, but that whole league sucks and could fold at any moment.
If they don't figure anything out, they could just loan out players without an affiliate.
When you are not drafted you tend to fall off of teams radars. You must then truely do something special to even get noticed. Not saying it can't happen, but it really puts players behind the 8-ball.

As for the ECHL, that really sucks as I am heading to Orlando in November and was going to take in a Gwinnett game. I could see them aligning with Las Vegas for just this season in order to have the entire team. I mean it wasn't like Gwinnett was next door anyways. Then when the lockout is done next season, I could see them lining up with Elmira.

By the way, what is the issue with Elmira right now, other than the Sens being there?

Old
09-16-2012, 12:21 PM
jfb392

Quote:
When you are not drafted you tend to fall off of teams radars. You must then truely do something special to even get noticed. Not saying it can't happen, but it really puts players behind the 8-ball.

As for the ECHL, that really sucks as I am heading to Orlando in November and was going to take in a Gwinnett game. I could see them aligning with Las Vegas for just this season in order to have the entire team. I mean it wasn't like Gwinnett was next door anyways. Then when the lockout is done next season, I could see them lining up with Elmira.

By the way, what is the issue with Elmira right now, other than the Sens being there?
Eh, I think that once you've caught the eye of teams, you're on their list.
There's plenty of kids that get tryouts and deals, even if they're not drafted and have little pro potential.

As for Elmira, their owner is bankrupt and their coach resigned last week.
I've read that it's possible that they won't even play this season.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:58 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
As for Elmira, their owner is bankrupt and their coach resigned last week.
I've read that it's possible that they won't even play this season.
Why isn't Pegula buying the team then? Especially if he owns the arena and we need an ECHL team? Not necessarily a question for you, unless you know the answer, but just seems like a perfect opportunity for him to grab it. I'm sure we could get a good coach lined up if we pay him well.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:17 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Why isn't Pegula buying the team then? Especially if he owns the arena and we need an ECHL team? Not necessarily a question for you, unless you know the answer, but just seems like a perfect opportunity for him to grab it. I'm sure we could get a good coach lined up if we pay him well.
Pegula didn't buy the arena, some local Elmira guy did.

Like I said last year when others suggested it, owning an ECHL team is not a smart business decision for Pegula.
The ECHL is for small-time businessmen that want to flaunt their money.
There's no profit to be made and the long-term benefits are negligible since it's still not much of a development league.
Some teams own their ECHL affiliates (Carolina and LA), but others have gotten out of the business in recent years (NJ last year).

Old
09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Well the signing does mean we keep our streak of having a player at the Memorial Cup going as Saskatoon will automatically be in it as they are the hosts of the 2013 edition.

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
Well the signing does mean we keep our streak of having a player at the Memorial Cup going as Saskatoon will automatically be in it as they are the hosts of the 2013 edition.
The Remparts probably have a decent chance to win the Q as well, if Grigs stays there all year. Their offense is just loaded.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:23 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

Like I said last year when others suggested it, owning an ECHL team is not a smart business decision for Pegula.
There's no profit to be made and the long-term benefits are negligible since it's still not much of a development league.
Some teams own their ECHL affiliates (Carolina and LA), but others have gotten out of the business in recent years (NJ last year).
Thanks for the info. It may not be a smart business move to own a franchise, but Pegula has the money to lose, if so inclined. Regardless, I hope they are at least able to sign on with someone asap as this not the year to be without a ECHL team.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:

I don't believe Carolina still has an ECHL affiliate. The Checkers moved to AHL. I may be wrong though...

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I don't believe Carolina still has an ECHL affiliate. The Checkers moved to AHL. I may be wrong though...
Florida Everblades.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Somehow I missed that news. Thanks!

It would be nice to have an affiliate, though...

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
jfb392

CapGeek says the cap hit is $558,333.
After sliding, it will end up being $545,000.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
rabi

Quote:
capgeek says the cap hit is $558,333.
After sliding, it will end up being $545,000.
** contract details and bonuses (if applicable) not official check back soon **

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:19 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
Somehow I missed that news. Thanks!

It would be nice to have an affiliate, though...
Maybe he could put a team playing on one of the HarborCenter rinks in 2014?

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
** contract details and bonuses (if applicable) not official — check back soon **
Why would they give an undrafted goalie any performance bonuses?

The cap hit is correct unless they've made a mistake, which is unlikely.
This is a basic ELC.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
** contract details and bonuses (if applicable) not official check back soon **
They always do that, but 99% of the time when they post a contract it is either right on the money or off by a negligible amount. It just means they got the info from a non-official source (even though they likely trust the source) and have not independently verified it themselves.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote