HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign this guy up - ASAP (Francois Allaire)

Old
09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 22000
I know we complain about lack of communication from the Avs management but that was just embarrassing.

Its embarrassing. Im embarrassed to be here right now. Its not even funny. And its just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Its not how youre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Quote:
I regret that I have to deal with this matter publicly but I feel the need to respond. Was there interference from the staff as he said there was? Yes. But it was done reluctantly and it was done to change elements of our goaltending that was sub-par.
Quote:
The position has evolved in the last three to five years, Burke said. Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.
Are there more quotes from Burke or was that it? Is that really considered "blasting" someone these days?

Allaire said some things about the Leafs and Burke responded. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially since Burke is right. The Leafs problem is that both Reimer and Gustavsson suck but the position has advanced quite a bit. I wouldn't want Allaire changing anything about Varlamov's game.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Allaire was on TV , last night and that part in the article

Quote:
...because of internal interference with his methods
He said that He was the Goalie coach in Toronto , but he wasnt taking the decisions about his players anymore and/or no one were taking into consideration his advices . That someone from the organisation were always overruling his decisions .

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
spidergoalie

Re: Varlamov
I know for a fact that he has attended Allaire's summer camps in the past, and I recall an article in a goalie publication a year or two ago where Allaire was praising Varlamov as being an ideal goalie for him to work with.

Obviously Giguere would love it, although I sort of wonder what Jiggy's future is if the lock out goes all season, this being the final year of his contract.

As for the controversy in Toronto, IMHO Burke is simply doing a terrible job.
He hires his friends without building a coherent team.
Wilson's run and gun style was in total opposition to Allaire's blocking Butterfly approach, which is a percentage based system, while Wilson's system left the goalies in bad situations where percentages won't help.
To make matters worse, apparently Burke had other guys working with the goalies having them do different things from Allaire. No wonder the goalies looked tentative and confused!

As for Burke's bluster...he offered Allaire a contract extension. Allaire turned it down. If Burke really felt Allaire was out of date, why would he offer the extension? Clearly Burke is just lashing out because Allaire exposed some of the disfunction in Leaf-land.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
I know for a fact that he has attended Allaire's summer camps in the past, and I recall an article in a goalie publication a year or two ago where Allaire was praising Varlamov as being an ideal goalie for him to work with.

Obviously Giguere would love it, although I sort of wonder what Jiggy's future is if the lock out goes all season, this being the final year of his contract.

Wilson's run and gun style was in total opposition to Allaire's blocking Butterfly approach, which is a percentage based system, while Wilson's system left the goalies in bad situations where percentages won't help.
To make matters worse, apparently Burke had other guys working with the goalies having them do different things from Allaire. No wonder the goalies looked tentative and confused!

As for Burke's bluster...he offered Allaire a contract extension. Allaire turned it down. If Burke really felt Allaire was out of date, why would he offer the extension? Clearly Burke is just lashing out because Allaire exposed some of the disfunction in Leaf-land.
Thanks for posting. Most of the stuff I've heard about Allaire lately has been negative. Not just fans but even some media have been criticizing him. I don't know if that's because his style is outdated or because that's what the media is hearing out of Toronto.

It's highly unlikely that the Avs hire him but that's good to hear about Varlamov. I had no idea he worked with him in the past. Every time someone talks about Allaire they just mention his blocking style and I think that would be terrible for Varlamov. I don't really care who the goalie coach is as long as it's a full time job and the person doesn't try to drastically change how the goalies play.

As for Giguere, he already signed a one year extension with the Avs. So even if the lockout lasts the full season, he'll be back the following season.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post

Exactly. If Allaire wasn't cutting it, then have a conversation with him and agree to part ways. Don't just keep him there because of name recognition, and bring in three other guys to take away all his duties, and over rule his decisions.

You don't treat someone as accomplished and respected as he is like that, and then when he gets pissed and tells the truth to the media, you imply the goaltending issues were all his fault, and that his methods are outdated. Even if they are outdated, than you handle that internally, you don't let it get to the point where it has. But this is just another example of Burke's complete mismanagement and lack of integrity.

He'd rather put someone else down than accept blame for his inability to bring in good goaltenders, defenseman or draft well. He's got more excuses than anyone in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Thanks for posting. Most of the stuff I've heard about Allaire lately has been negative. Not just fans but even some media have been criticizing him. I don't know if that's because his style is outdated or because that's what the media is hearing out of Toronto.

It's highly unlikely that the Avs hire him but that's good to hear about Varlamov. I had no idea he worked with him in the past. Every time someone talks about Allaire they just mention his blocking style and I think that would be terrible for Varlamov. I don't really care who the goalie coach is as long as it's a full time job and the person doesn't try to drastically change how the goalies play.

As for Giguere, he already signed a one year extension with the Avs. So even if the lockout lasts the full season, he'll be back the following season.
Burke aside, I have the same reservations. I don't know what to believe, but there doesn't seem to be anyone coming out and saying he does try to work with other goalies styles. If he does try to change Varly's style, and it doesn't work and he struggles, that could permanently affect his development. He needs to start putting together some solid full seasons. Otherwise he'll just be another Theodore.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 09-18-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Meh....I really don't want to dig into Toronto's trash and discuss who was right or wrong...leave that **** to the rags in Toronto.

What I do know is this...Allaire is mentor to two of the best goalies in the last couple of decades give or take. It's safe to assume on here everyone considers Patrick Roy one...not so safe to assume Jiggy...but I'm putting him in there for his MVP performance during a SCF loss as well as his backstopping a team a to a SCF victory and what I feel to be good relationship with a growing goalie in Varlamov. Feel free to disregard him as one of the better goalies over the last decade or so if you'd like...just do it somewhere else...calling him a poor goalie or an underachiever over the last 10 years won't be constructive to your cause, reputation as someone who knows anything about hockey or this thread.

Anyways, Allaire is currently open for employment and some immediately think he'd be a great choice in Denver. I'd pretty much fall in to that category of thinking if this was any of the last 15 or so years in AVs history. Here's the deal...the AVs gave up a lot to get Varly...I wouldn't want them to push a coach on him and say here you go...drink it up. I'd almost want Varly to be on the hiring committee for any goalie coach we bring in. Make him a part of the process...after all, he is hopefully the goalie of the next 10 years or so. Allow him some ownership of the process.

I hear he's worked with or seen or respected Allaire before...That's great and all...but seriously...I've seen those comments mostly on hockey websites that pretty much universally praise Allaire as a goalie whisperer. I'd rather get Varly's current estimation of him prior to offering a contract and make sure Varly knows doings so means McLean is out of a job. I've also happened to have heard or read on various websites that Varly sorta, kinda likes and respects McLean...The Avs need to figure out they think he needs and allow him to be a part of the equation to find out what he will get. Hopefully it will result in a couple of deep playoff pushes in the next 3 to 10 years.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Are there more quotes from Burke or was that it? Is that really considered "blasting" someone these days?

Allaire said some things about the Leafs and Burke responded. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially since Burke is right. The Leafs problem is that both Reimer and Gustavsson suck but the position has advanced quite a bit. I wouldn't want Allaire changing anything about Varlamov's game.
Burke right about goaltending? You realize he's never right about goaltending. If the position of goaltending changed 5 years ago according to Burke, then why hire Allaire when you "know" his style is out of date? Ben Scriven's said it best. To those who think Allaire just tells you to go down in the butterfly and just block are idiots. Unless you've worked under Allaire personally then we have to go on the words of Scrivens, Reimer, and Gustavsson.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Burke right about goaltending? You realize he's never right about goaltending. If the position of goaltending changed 5 years ago according to Burke, then why hire Allaire when you "know" his style is out of date? Ben Scriven's said it best. To those who think Allaire just tells you to go down in the butterfly and just block are idiots. Unless you've worked under Allaire personally then we have to go on the words of Scrivens, Reimer, and Gustavsson.
You realize he actually has his name on the Cup as a GM right? He did so in Anaheim with Jiggy...who is an acolyte of Allaire. He also had Jiggy on his squad when they lost in a heart-breaking game 7 and JS was given the MVP award for his efforts in a losing effort.

The Burke hatred on this website is a bit out of hand...particularly on the AVs section. Yes...he is bombastic, yes...he does manipulate the media but he does actually talk to them, yes...he does anger a lot of folks, yes...he does speak his mind freely. All of these things are qualities most on the AVs site here bash the AVs for not having. I don't get it...

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
You realize he actually has his name on the Cup as a GM right? He did so in Anaheim with Jiggy...who is an acolyte of Allaire. He also had Jiggy on his squad when they lost in a heart-breaking game 7 and JS was given the MVP award for his efforts in a losing effort.

The Burke hatred on this website is a bit out of hand...particularly on the AVs section. Yes...he is bombastic, yes...he does manipulate the media but he does actually talk to them, yes...he does anger a lot of folks, yes...he does speak his mind freely. All of these things are qualities most on the AVs site here bash the AVs for not having. I don't get it...
Too bad he never actually traded for Giguere. Secondly Burke was not GM of the Ducks in 2003. Goaltending has never been Burke's strength. He stuck with Cloutier for too long and is having goalie problems galore in Toronto. Has he finally found a keeper in Reimer? We don't know yet and as of now Reimer is no starting goalie. I don't care if Burke is shooting his mouth off to the media, its obvious though that he doesn't have a clue with what to do with goalies.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Elever
Hth

Really interesting interview with some guy on PuckDaddy today (Wednesday) who's some sort of goaltending expert and covers the Canucks talking about Allaire. Starts 40 or 50 mins into the podcast.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post

Give me a break. Burke never built the right team in Vancouver, he hasn't been able to do anything at all with the Leafs, and people think he's a good GM because he took over a good team in Anaheim, and had three HOFer's fall in his lap. One because his brother played there and he wanted to retire with him. The other had his wife force him out of Edmonton, and his buddy at the time Kevin Lowe coveted some Anaheim players. Plus Selanne of course had Anaheim as his first choice to return to. All Burke had to do in those cases was say ok, and not piss them off to the point they wouldn't want to play there.

All he does is talk brash and that convinces some people he actually knows what he's doing. He's from the talk loud and fake it till you make it school, except he's not capable of doing anything else, so he has to keep up the routine.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 09-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote