HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Roy or Hasek?

View Poll Results: Roy or Hasek
Patrick Roy 77 33.92%
Dominik Hasek 150 66.08%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Definitely no exact way to compare their stats, but they were about the same age just Roy broke into the NHL earlier. With little NHL experience, Hasek was posting a .930 SV%. Something Roy never did. No fair way to compare, but with how much higher of a SV% Hasek sported on a poor team, it has to be considered close.
I mean you realise that Roy put up a .923 S% and 1.93GAA in the '86 playoffs at a time when goalies were lucky to break a .900 S% and keep their GAA's below 3.50.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
PhoenyX

Roy.

Playoff stats >> regular season stats

Old
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
I mean you realise that Roy put up a .923 S% and 1.93GAA in the '86 playoffs at a time when goalies were lucky to break a .900 S% and keep their GAA's below 3.50.
Incredible performance and one of the best ever, but other goalies didn't have great defense and two way forwards like Roy did that year. The team had two multiple-time Selke winners infront of him and two HoF dmen. Not taking anything away, but he had much more help than Hasek. Also, Hasek's 1.61 GAA and .950 SV% in the '94 playoffs with twice as many shutouts were pretty good as well .

Old
09-18-2012, 05:31 PM
tsujimoto74

I mean, if you want to talk playoffs, how about a 70 save 4OT shutout? Roy have any of those? Or is that just Hasek? He held the Sabres in games they had absolutely no business winning and won anyway.
The best players besides Hasek Buffalo had most of his time here were guys like Peca/Satan. Not bad players but hardly Sakic/Forsberg quality.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Definitely no exact way to compare their stats, but they were about the same age just Roy broke into the NHL earlier. With little NHL experience, Hasek was posting a .930 SV%. Something Roy never did. No fair way to compare, but with how much higher of a SV% Hasek sported on a poor team, it has to be considered close.
After saying that there's no way to compare their stats, you sure went ahead and did just that.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I mean, if you want to talk playoffs, how about a 70 save 4OT shutout? Roy have any of those?
Roy's got a 3OT 63-save shutout.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I mean, if you want to talk playoffs, how about a 70 save 4OT shutout? Roy have any of those? Or is that just Hasek? He held the Sabres in games they had absolutely no business winning and won anyway.
The best players besides Hasek Buffalo had most of his time here were guys like Peca/Satan. Not bad players but hardly Sakic/Forsberg quality.
For all the talk about quality of teammates, Roy won 3 Conn Smythes. He was also the clear cut 2nd most important player behind Sakic on the 96 team when he didn't win the Conn Smythe.

Roy was a top 2 playoff performer on 4 Cup winners. No other goalie comes close to that - even those who played when there were only 6 teams.

Hasek was great in the playoffs, but Roy's playoff resume is unmatched

Old
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
After saying that there's no way to compare their stats, you sure went ahead and did just that.
I said there was no exact way. But some comparisons can be made, they just can't be considered an exact science to figure out who is better.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:57 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

roy 4 da clutch
hasek 4 da awesomeness

/every hasek vs roy debate

Old
09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Roy's got a 3OT 63-save shutout.
So... no?

How about some Olympic medals?

Maybe some Hart trophies (as in multiple)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
For all the talk about quality of teammates, Roy won 3 Conn Smythes. He was also the clear cut 2nd most important player behind Sakic on the 96 team when he didn't win the Conn Smythe.

Roy was a top 2 playoff performer on 4 Cup winners. No other goalie comes close to that - even those who played when there were only 6 teams.

A third of the equation. Hasek takes the other two, and he never quit on a team the way Roy did which doesn't reflect well on Patrick's character. Just a little bonus.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Roy. Hasek has an impressive run of dominance but can't match what Roy did in his career imo.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

I agree that Roy's playoff resume is unmatched, I also believe that if Hasek would have played on those teams, he would have been just as successful if not more so.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
So... no?

How about some Olympic medals?

Maybe some Hart trophies (as in multiple)?A third of the equation. Hasek takes the other two, and he never quit on a team the way Roy did which doesn't reflect well on Patrick's character. Just a little bonus.
You might want to read up on Buffalo during the 1997 playoffs if you want to use the "quitting on his team angle." Roy got into an argument with a coach that went back to the days when Mario Temblay was a radio personality and constant Roy critic. So he demanded a trade in the middle of the regular season.

Hasek publicly announced that he wasn't motivated to hurry back from an injury during the playoffs because he didn't like his coach, and he was publicly accused of quitting on the team during the playoffs by teammates. There were also rumblings that he quit on the team in Detroit before the playoffs one year, but that was probably just because of his previous rep

Old
09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Hasek.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
So... no?
That's right - no. And it's clearly important, too, because if I remember right, that's the main reason Hasek won the Conn Smythe that year - those extra seven saves in one game in the middle of the dead puck era.

Quote:
Maybe some Hart trophies (as in multiple)?A third of the equation. Hasek takes the other two, and he never quit on a team the way Roy did which doesn't reflect well on Patrick's character. Just a little bonus.
Who told you that Hasek never quit on his team?

Old
09-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
i'm really surprised that Hasek is ahead in this poll. as for me it's Roy and it's not even close , 4 cups , 3 conn Smythe, 3 vezinas and 5 Jennings .

Old
09-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

It a tough choice but its Roy.

Anybody who thinks one is significantly better than the other should seriously get their head checked.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Heh yeah, that's diff between Hasek and Roy in the playoffs, "Hasek almost won a couple of Cups by himself" compared to "Roy DID win a couple of Cups by himself".

Either way, I not even arguing against Hasek being the best ever, I also believe this.
I'm just saying that Roy's playoff accomplishments make it a hell of a lot closer than some are making out here.
Then again, going by the "Is Roy an Av or Hab" poll, most people posting saw very little of Roy as a Hab.

That would also be why I think a lot of sportswriters have it closer as well. Most of them DID see Roy and what he did in a Habs uni.
What Roy did in '86 and to a lesser extent in '93 makes what Quick did this year or what Thomas did last year down right amateur by comparison, believe it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Roy carried his team on his back 3 times to win cups.Thats much better than almost.
The only time Hasek won the cup was on a stacked best team in the league.
My grandmother could have played net for the Wings and won the cup that season.
Roy didn't win anything by himself. He has 4 Cups and he was tremendous in all 4 runs. For my money he's the 2nd greatest to ever lay the position with quite a gap before 3rd. But you can't even compare the teams Roy won the Cup with to gong shows Hasek dragged around. They're not even in the same universe.

Roy turned good and sometimes average teams into great teams. Hasek turned pathetic teams into great teams.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Roy didn't win anything by himself. He has 4 Cups and he was tremendous in all 4 runs. For my money he's the 2nd greatest to ever lay the position with quite a gap before 3rd. But you can't even compare the teams Roy won the Cup with to gong shows Hasek dragged around. They're not even in the same universe.

Roy turned good and sometimes average teams into great teams. Hasek turned pathetic teams into great teams.
This is inaccurate.

The Buffalo teams Hasek played on were VERY comparable to the '86, '89 and '93 Habs teams that Roy led to the finals.

As for your first statement, you clearly didn't see the '93 playoffs with 10 straight OT victories. He just refused to lose.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is inaccurate.

The Buffalo teams Hasek played on were VERY comparable to the '86, '89 and '93 Habs teams that Roy led to the finals.

As for your first statement, you clearly didn't see the '93 playoffs with 10 straight OT victories. He just refused to lose.
Roy is my choice for best goalie of all time, but I think some overrate his 10 OT wins a row a little bit. The Canadiens tended to score very early into OT that season, so Roy didn't have all that much time to let in the losing goal. Don't get me wrong, it was very impressive. But those were shorter than average OTs. For whatever reason, the Canadiens forgot how to score in regulation in the playoffs, but were very efficient at it in OT

Old
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Roy is my choice for best goalie of all time, but I think some overrate his 10 OT wins a row a little bit. The Canadiens tended to score very early into OT that season, so Roy didn't have all that much time to let in the losing goal. Don't get me wrong, it was very impressive. But those were shorter than average OTs. For whatever reason, the Canadiens forgot how to score in regulation in the playoffs, but were very efficient at it in OT
I think you're right. If I recall in one of those OTs that he "won" he didn't even make a save.

Still a great accomplishment by any reckoning -- I just think that the legend grows a little out of hand over time.

That all said: Patrick was lights out during the playoffs.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 09-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
um

hasek, its 6 vezinas vs 3 and 2 harts vs 0. roys playoff performances cannot cover that gap especially since hasek was great in the playoffs to

Old
09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Mike Liut had a GAA of 1.90 and a SV% of .930 in 8 games with Hartford during those same playoffs.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:51 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
About 7-8/10 fans put Hasek at number 1.---7-8/10 that are 16 yrs and under.
You show me proof where 40-60% of hockey analysts from NA puts Hasek at #1.If that was the truth you would see Hasek win in most polls.But he doesn't even win in one of them.
Thats just something your making up to suit your opinion.
Go to ANY poll done by N.A. hockey analysts and they have Roy ahead EVERY TIME.
You claim they have Hasek at # 1. Show my at least 1 poll where they do. You should have no problem bring up that poll since 40-60 % claim he is #1
I actually tried to look up some N.A. polls to back my claim. Funny thing tough, i can't do it...

Seems that i was wrong. In north america it seems to be consensus (or at least a close to it) that Roy was the greatest. I might have to chance my mind, but i won't do it yet.

Ok, so basically every N.A. analysis says Roy was the best and every one done in Europe claims Hasek as the best. So it is a tie on that one. Both have their own biases.

I have to put a bit more weight on N.A. experts since they follow NHL hockey the most and probably have the best insight on it. (Biased or not)

Now i still have to give some credit to the fans. I can't just disrecard the difference in fan's opinions cause you say they are wrong. If i would put some more weight on the N.A. experts it evens out on the fanbase opinions.

Now, i have not yet chanced my mind on this, but i will give it a thought and i will come back when i have some more info.

Edit:

Sorry it took me so long to answer, it was night time in Finland and i had to get some sleep...

Old
09-19-2012, 01:47 AM
trentmccleary

As an opposing fan, I feared Hasek. I didn't fear Roy or Brodeur any more than I would have a Belfour, Kolzig or Joseph. But I legitimately feared facing Hasek. We could dice up his AHL calibre squad and he would shut the team down consistently. Nobody was like Hasek.

Closed Thread