HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It's at least as likely to get higher, in which case it is simply a gamble, not poor asset management.
Oh, how do you figure it's going to get higher?

When a team becomes "desperate" as to lose all judgement and foresight?

When Luongo caves and expands his list from 5 to 25?

The gamble has much higher stakes then you realize. I think with how many times myself and others have mentioned them it doesn't need to be repeated.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

The gamble has much higher stakes then you realize. I think with how many times myself and others have mentioned them it doesn't need to be repeated.
If any of Lindback, Holtby, Reimer, Crawford, Bobrovsky, etc. collapse and any of their teams feel pressure to make the playoffs/cup run, and have lost confidence in them, then yes, the market will pick up. Luongo is an elite netminder, and believe it or not, if a team discovers its own starter is inadequate, they may as well aim for the best possible instead. Luongo will likely give 5-6 years of good play(Like Thomas, Brodeur, possibly Kiprusoff), after which he will retire or be buried in the minors. It's not at all "losing all judgement or foresight" to acquire Luongo.

Could we get burned? Possibly. But if the offers right now are b prospect + 2nd + cap dump, and later on we might get top prospect + 1st, we have a lot more to gain than to lose.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:51 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:

You make it sound like Luongo will be a bad acquisition or a gamble. If he's proved anything over his career it's that he belongs in this league as a starter. He's a legit #1 goaltender. Any team that wants that going in to their future or for the playoffs wouldn't be 'desperate' IMO.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:57 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
If any of Lindback, Holtby, Reimer, Crawford, Bobrovsky, etc. collapse and any of their teams feel pressure to make the playoffs/cup run, and have lost confidence in them, then yes, the market will pick up. Luongo is an elite netminder, and believe it or not, if a team discovers its own starter is inadequate, they may as well aim for the best possible instead. Luongo will likely give 5-6 years of good play(Like Thomas, Brodeur, possibly Kiprusoff), after which he will retire or be buried in the minors. It's not at all "losing all judgement or foresight" to acquire Luongo.

Could we get burned? Possibly. But if the offers right now are b prospect + 2nd + cap dump, and later on we might get top prospect + 1st, we have a lot more to gain than to lose.
A top prospect and a 1st? Are you in dream land? My goodness, you need to come back to us I think we've lost you in the clouds!

Old
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
Schneider signed an extension... Lack signed an extension... Cap space isn't needed (so far)... Luongo seems happy enough (so far)... All is good so far, IMO... No rush, may as well hold out until a team really wants Luongo (as proven through their offer) and have Luongo on the team to help with a (hopefully) cup run... Could do much worse than having goaltending solidified for another year... 1st world problems...
I think the difference is when a lot of us expect that so far to become a Luongo is upset. Most of us expect that to happen in a quick fashion if they get back. Worse yet he clearly wins the #1 job back and Schneider gets bent out of shape with the time share he thought he was done with. It is a slippery situation, it is so far okay because they aren't there. Do you honestly think they stick that out until the trade deadline? At which point a proven backup would be a huge thing to have. I sure don't.

Remember this with Curtis Joseph in Detroit, good guy and the thing turned into a total disaster. Even eventually leading to the rumor of a fight between Cujo and Yzerman in practice. This is a bad situation it is fine right now they all said the right things in Detroit, once the season started it fell apart faster than anybody even predicted. It was poison in the locker room and turned a group with winning tradition and answers to playoff questions into an also ran. Having watched that, I think Vancouver must make a move quickly.

Luongo is a guy that complained openly the other goalie wasn't giving him enough props. I doubt he is going to sit around and play the loyal #2 like a lot of Vancouver fans hope so his value can move up a minimal amount. With that contract and the position Vancouver is in it just isn't going to get a ton better. Bernier still being available doesn't help them either. They cannot just hope for one injury and desperation. For the assets Vancover wants right now I would much rather go with Bernier's potential and youth first.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
You make it sound like Luongo will be a bad acquisition or a gamble. If he's proved anything over his career it's that he belongs in this league as a starter. He's a legit #1 goaltender. Any team that wants that going in to their future or for the playoffs wouldn't be 'desperate' IMO.
Luongo is a bad acquisition for many teams. He has a 10 year contract and is already pushing 34. His playoff performance is lacking. He lost his starting position to an up and comer many year earlier then expected. He's asked to be traded. He has an NTC. He is to be paid $6.7M for 3 more years.

What else needs to be said? Sure, he's a good regular season goaltender. Come playoff time though, he's just a big question mark.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:

High stakes gamble? What's the worst that happens? Lose Luongo for nothing and still remain a real good team going forward... Obviously, the more you can get for Lu the better... but there's nothing really all that significant to lose... It's a good gamble... The Canucks are firmly planted to remain a great team (regardless of the return Luongo brings)... Gillis' job is real secure... Gillis isn't gambling his house... If anything, by keeping Luongo, Gillis is gambling that the Canucks have a better chance to win the cup than if Luongo wasn't on the team... and that's what is wanted in Vancouver... The franchise doesn't need to be re-imaged, as in a Nash trade... It's what added strokes to the Picaso does Luongo bring...

This isn't a "how much do you lose" situation... It's "how much do you win"...

Old
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Luongo is a bad acquisition for many teams. He has a 10 year contract and is already pushing 34. His playoff performance is lacking. He lost his starting position to an up and comer many year earlier then expected. He's asked to be traded. He has an NTC. He is to be paid $6.7M for 3 more years.

What else needs to be said? Sure, he's a good regular season goaltender. Come playoff time though, he's just a big question mark.
FYI, Luongo's playoff save percentage is 20th of all time goaltenders.

His 10 year contract is so that hi cap hit is significantly lowered.(Look at how much Lehtonen and Bryzgalov are making, and Luongo is significantly better). 10 years is meaningless, because he doesn't have a NMC. He will either most likely retire, or play in the minors for the rest of his career. If Tim Thomas won a cup at 38, and Brodeur got to the SCF at 40, Luongo at 33 is hardly bad for the future. And Luongo has just publicly said he has no problem staying in Vancouver.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I think the difference is when a lot of us expect that so far to become a Luongo is upset. Most of us expect that to happen in a quick fashion if they get back. Worse yet he clearly wins the #1 job back and Schneider gets bent out of shape with the time share he thought he was done with. It is a slippery situation, it is so far okay because they aren't there. Do you honestly think they stick that out until the trade deadline? At which point a proven backup would be a huge thing to have. I sure don't.

Remember this with Curtis Joseph in Detroit, good guy and the thing turned into a total disaster. Even eventually leading to the rumor of a fight between Cujo and Yzerman in practice. This is a bad situation it is fine right now they all said the right things in Detroit, once the season started it fell apart faster than anybody even predicted. It was poison in the locker room and turned a group with winning tradition and answers to playoff questions into an also ran. Having watched that, I think Vancouver must make a move quickly.

Luongo is a guy that complained openly the other goalie wasn't giving him enough props. I doubt he is going to sit around and play the loyal #2 like a lot of Vancouver fans hope so his value can move up a minimal amount. With that contract and the position Vancouver is in it just isn't going to get a ton better. Bernier still being available doesn't help them either. They cannot just hope for one injury and desperation. For the assets Vancover wants right now I would much rather go with Bernier's potential and youth first.
This is a special circumstance, IMHO... It can work, because Luongo, Schneider, Gillis, and the Canucks as a team work... They are real solid... Different personalities, no way... It can work for a while longer, especially with a cup (hopefully) in the difference... It's a team full of friends, in a city that Luongo really likes... Schneider was real supportive of Luongo over the years (without a peep)... I feel that Luongo feels he owes it to Schneider to return the courtesy for a while longer... He already said so last playoffs... The loose cannons get shipped out of here... The only reason Luongo will eventually be shipped out is because you can't have two excellent #1 goalies forever... Eventually, something gives...

So far so good... "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"... I think we owe it to Luongo to believe him... Why not? He's been excellent for the franchise... and better for everyone, if it works out for everyone... Wouldn't it be great to have Luongo win the cup before he leaves?

Personally, I don't really mind what teams offer... or which goalie options they feel is better... I only mind with what I feel Gillis should accept, to make it worthwhile not to run with Luongo on this team for a while longer...

If it doesn't work though (I understand that when dealing with people you never know) act then... Remove Luongo from the team if necessary... But don't act on it when it's not even real... Chances are, it's not even going to be a problem... and what did you accomplish if you look to solve this problem before this problem exists?... A step farther away from the cup, when the goal is to get a step closer to the cup...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 09-18-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
FYI, Luongo's playoff save percentage is 20th of all time goaltenders.

His 10 year contract is so that hi cap hit is significantly lowered.(Look at how much Lehtonen and Bryzgalov are making, and Luongo is significantly better). 10 years is meaningless, because he doesn't have a NMC. He will either most likely retire, or play in the minors for the rest of his career. If Tim Thomas won a cup at 38, and Brodeur got to the SCF at 40, Luongo at 33 is hardly bad for the future. And Luongo has just publicly said he has no problem staying in Vancouver.
This.

Not only does he not have an NMC, but he has already stated that he doesn't intend to play his contract till the end. Not sure why people on this board keep bringing this up.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
TOML

Hey, meanwhile a lockout means he's got more time to post on twitter about how he can't possibly be traded until the lockout is over.

Gimme a 'Yaaaaaaaayyyy, LOCKOUT!!'

TOML

Old
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Up until 5 years ago, a 5 year deal was considered long, and risky. Why are people now trying to sell that there is no risk involved with a 10 year deal, retirement deal or not?

I've never liked a single one of those contracts, and I still don't today. If the next CBA doesn't change them, well, you have to live within them, but until then, why.

And if you are willing to have one, why spend a fortune to get one, when you can just use it to acquire a UFA for free.

I think some have fooled themselves into believing those deals are low risk and no big deal. There is a reason why many GM's are avoiding them.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:39 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:

It's obvious that Luongo's contract puts a damper on his value but his 10 year contract is totally misunderstood-You are apparently one of the many. He lost his starting job to a goaltender that put up a record breaking save percentage, who's only 26 and can be maintained at a lower CAP hit. Had Cory Schneider not come along the Canucks would happily have Luo as their starter.

He never asked to be traded. He said "It's probably time to move one". Luongo inevitably wants out of Vancouver, I agree. That said, he seems to be perfectly content with riding out his remaining time in Vancouver. It seems likely Luongo will be in a Canucks uni until the trade deadline. And the latest would be next off-season.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Up until 5 years ago, a 5 year deal was considered long, and risky. Why are people now trying to sell that there is no risk involved with a 10 year deal, retirement deal or not?

I've never liked a single one of those contracts, and I still don't today. If the next CBA doesn't change them, well, you have to live within them, but until then, why.

And if you are willing to have one, why spend a fortune to get one, when you can just use it to acquire a UFA for free.

I think some have fooled themselves into believing those deals are low risk and no big deal. There is a reason why many GM's are avoiding them.
GMs may consider them "not in the spirit of hockey" or whatnot, but considering the amount of lifetime contracts around(Weber, Kovalchuk, Luongo, Hossa, Suter, etc, etc) you'd think GMs know what they're doing, right? Has anyone ever said there's too much risk involved to acquire one of them? To my knowledge, no.

Especially with no NMC, there quite literally is no risk involved.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post

Better yet, why not just build your own top 5 goalie? That way, you can even take advantage of having him on an entry level contract... and he'd be on your team much longer than getting one on UFA or trading for a 33 year old one...

Your cheapest option is to draft and develop him yourself... But, obviously, there's risks attached with this alternative as well... The risk he never becomes a top 5 goalie one day (which is a pretty difficult accomplishment to achieve)...

This year, I do think it would be better for Burke to sign a top 5 goalie who's an UFA... if there was one...

Old
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

http://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN

Farhan Lalji‏@FarhanLaljiTSN

Quote:
RT @EnricoCiccone: Leafs are still interested in Luongo. Burke made a call in Vancouver end of last week! #mapleleafs #canucks

Old
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM
kthsn

Quote:

Leafs fans: Burke is just checking if Gillis has softened his demands, Burke is in control.

Nucks fans: Burke is the one calling because he's desperate and now we all know!

Reality: GMs check up on each others situation on a very regular basis, more than often it amounts to nothing.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:23 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:

More info. on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
According to TSN some player agent said Burke called VAN last week concerning Lu. Bobby Mac said it was unlikely.

EDIT

Heres the guy

Enrico Ciccone ‏@EnricoCiccone

Leafs are still interested in Luongo. Burke made a call in Vancouver end of last week! #mapleleafs

Old
09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Leafs fans: Burke is just checking if Gillis has softened his demands, Burke is in control.

Nucks fans: Burke is the one calling because he's desperate and now we all know!

Reality: GMs check up on each others situation on a very regular basis, more than often it amounts to nothing.
Pretty bang on. Honestly I hope for Lou's sake he ends up in Florida where he can play out his career w/o constantly being nagged by fans. He has been a pretty classy guy when it came to this situation especially when people like myself keep on lowballing his value. (While I will admit I lowball it I will not agree Vancouver fans are giving it the proper value.)

Old
09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
The Messenger

So the Leafs just hired Rick St Croix as a goalie coach (Schneider's one of his) and let Allaire take a hike (Loungo's guy). hmmmmmmmm, I wonder, have we been looking at this wrong?

Just kidding.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
so we've gotten back to "Luongo's just not that good", eh?

lol ...looking promising that we can keep this going all the way thru the lockout!
Not surprised! People were kind of praising him when it looked like he was gone, now that this has happened & its looking like he'll be a Canuck still he is bad again.

Seriously people keep back tracking So sad.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
So the Leafs just hired Rick St Croix as a goalie coach (Schneider's one of his) and let Allaire take a hike (Loungo's guy). hmmmmmmmm, I wonder, have we been looking at this wrong?

Just kidding.

Now you done it here we go with daily Schneider to TOR threads.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Good for Rick. Nice guy. I lived in Winnipeg for a year and my relatives were in the same neighborhood as him. He used to hang out and watch our street hockey games, where his son used to play with us - Chris - was really young then. I remember he used to call me Linden because I was the only Canuck fan there (maybe in all of Winnipeg) - or maybe because they lived in a neighborhood called Lindenwoods He let us use Daniel Berthume's goalie equipment (maybe he was working with the Jets at the time??).. My cousin still has Berthume's (spel?) trapper.

Brings back memories

Old
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Just kidding.

Whose guy?

Also what are you guys going to offer us for Schneider? Komo, Lombardi & a 2nd?

Old
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I disagree completely. I think in any case you keep your top assets unless you get an offer that matches the quality of that asset and/or addresses a key need. A top 6 forward is a key need, so unless that's being offered to us by some team how is keeping him going to hurt us?

If all we are being offered are cap
dumps, second round picks, and non-elite prospects then how exactly is holding on to him going to hurt his value any more? None of those assets really help us or address our needs so it isn't like we are losing out on anything by keeping him in the event somehow his value does decrease. I'd rather accept the production that he will bring to the team in the meantime. To me, the value we get from Luongo remaining on the Canucks is greater than what Tim Connolly or a 2nd round pick would bring.
I only like it if Schneider gets the opportunity to play a majority of the games in the regular season... which is going to be a question-mark with Luongo around.

I'd be happy with anything over 50% though.

Closed Thread