HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 UFA D-Makeover?

Old
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
2013 UFA D-Makeover?

A lot of talk about how in 2013 we can remake our forward corps, a lot of players coming off the books with Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Horton, Weiss, Clowe etc...

But another area our team could use serious important, Defence, could be addressed during this lock out as well.

Edler, Timonen, Visnevsky, Gonchar, Hainsey, Streit, Regehr, Whitney, Zidlicky, Hamrli, Scuderi, , Lydman, Leopold, White, Poti, Babchuk, Murray, Ference, Smid, Corvo, Rozsival, Sutton, Fistric, Hannan, Lilja, Zuler, Woywitka, O'Bryne etc

A lot of top 4 D-men available. It could be timely to added a key defensive piece.

I see it going one of two ways. A) We bring in someone to be a temporary #1 D, who can bump all our other D into more comfortable roles. B) We add some stop gap depth while Rielly, Finn, Blacker, Percy develope.

Edler I think would be a great add. He's 26, would fit right in age wise with our club. Would be a huge upgrade over Gunnarsson on the 1st pair, and would allow Gunnar to play an easier role with Gardiner.

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles/Blacker - Holzer
Komisarek, Liles/Blacker

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

To add, I wouldn't mind adding in Murray, Hannan or Regehr as a steady physical veteran to pair with Gardiner and play some PK.

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Regehr/Murray
Liles/Blacker - Komisarek/Holzer

I think thats a steady D-group.

Especially if you add in a steady goalie like Backstrom, or Smith, with Carlyle's system we should be able to play smart hockey.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

vCash: 500
Sure, but we better not pass up the opportunity of adding a big gun to our forward offense. Our cap situation next year will be in good shape and if Getz, Perry and Clowe slip between our fingers, it will be a heartbreak.

Felstead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Stephen

I think it might be nice to let the kids play than revamp with UFAs. Look at the Rangers and how they've thrived with Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh and Del Zotto instead of trying buy more veterans.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
A lot of talk about how in 2013 we can remake our forward corps, a lot of players coming off the books with Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Horton, Weiss, Clowe etc...

But another area our team could use serious important, Defence, could be addressed during this lock out as well.

Edler, Timonen, Visnevsky, Gonchar, Hainsey, Streit, Regehr, Whitney, Zidlicky, Hamrli, Scuderi, , Lydman, Leopold, White, Poti, Babchuk, Murray, Ference, Smid, Corvo, Rozsival, Sutton, Fistric, Hannan, Lilja, Zuler, Woywitka, O'Bryne etc

A lot of top 4 D-men available. It could be timely to added a key defensive piece.

I see it going one of two ways. A) We bring in someone to be a temporary #1 D, who can bump all our other D into more comfortable roles. B) We add some stop gap depth while Rielly, Finn, Blacker, Percy develope.

Edler I think would be a great add. He's 26, would fit right in age wise with our club. Would be a huge upgrade over Gunnarsson on the 1st pair, and would allow Gunnar to play an easier role with Gardiner.

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles/Blacker - Holzer
Komisarek, Liles/Blacker
Would love Edler, but he will get 6.5-7 mil on the open market.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Edler and Streit. Thats it. Maybe Regehr at a discount

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
KlattNazty

Not interested in them because of the price tag that will come with the top ones, given that we have a few prospects that will need their chances and we need to spend up front.

If edler was a more established two way talent instead of primarily a top offensive guy id have interest, but for the money he will make i dont see it.

Regehr maybe, Scuderi possibly.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

We shouldn't be adding any more high priced UFA d-men to the squad. If anything, Burke should be looking a rock solid stay-at-home defenseman. We'll need the future cap space to go after our real needs, a number one goalie and centre.

With high end prospects like Rielly, Blacker, Finn and Percy in the system, this is the last position we should be clogging up the team cap with.

When will people learn that high priced UFA's rarely work out, especially in a market like Toronto where they never live up to the expectations of the largest fan base.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
We shouldn't be adding any more high priced UFA d-men to the squad. If anything, Burke should be looking a rock solid stay-at-home defenseman. We'll need the future cap space to go after our real needs, a number one goalie and centre.

With high end prospects like Rielly, Blacker, Finn and Percy in the system, this is the last position we should be clogging up the team cap with.
It is too bad the one rock solid stay at home defencemen we had couldnt figure it out here in Toronto.

Now we have to go out and find an equivalent top 4 replacement, which I still maintain is easier than a top 6 FWD like JVR, but it wont be that easy.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
kamosko
btz's best friend

Edler would be great, no chance Van lets him slip away though.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM
showtime8

You also have to take into account that Komisarek would only have 1 year remaining on his contract and could be easily traded or if worse comes to worse (with a new GM) he is bought out. But having 3 players still on buyout is not something that I would like to have on my books as a GM.

I'm making a push for Ron Hainsey at 2 years worth 2.5 a year. Adam Pardy would be nice too around that same contract.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
Edler would be great, no chance Van lets him slip away though.
Everyone thought Ehrhoff would have been great also. Don't think Buffalo would do that contract again if given the chance.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Krazy

From what I have seen fistric would fill a need.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Grant
LL Genius

We definitely don't need offensive dmen, got enough of those prospects. Likely not all of them will work out but we should wait and see regardless. Stay at home guys though we could use. Ideally it would be someone who is better than Gunnar to play with Phaneuf moving Gunnar down to a 2nd pairing guy instead but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think getting even a 2nd pairing guy instead would be adequate as they would be cheaper, more around the 3m range. Ideally they would shoot right as well since I think most/all of our offensive defensemen shoot left.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

The future:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Percy - Finn
-Holzer/Franson/Loov/Granberg

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

As a poster said above, I'd love to get Fistric here. That guy is a physical menace.

To those saying Regehr, not gunna happen. He was one of the Flames "leaders" that Dion had all the problems with, IIRC

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Edler only please + Getzlaf + Perry = WOWWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

Perry/Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
Edler - Phaneuf
Reimer

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

I'd just be happy with some wingers who could finish the job when the puck comes up the boards or block a puck or two or maybe even stick around for an outlet pass. The defense we have should be fine if they get the proper support from our soft forward group

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Edler for sure. But on the open market theres no doubt he will be making around 6-7 mill per when really hes worth 5.5 ish.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
ponder

Of course I would never turn down a player like Edler, but we never seem to be able to attract the top UFAs. When's the last time we've been able to sign a UFA of Edler's quality, who is also reasonably young (Edler will be 27 next offseason)? If Edler actually does become a UFA (unlikely, but possible), he'll be one of the top 2-3 most desirable UFAs on the market, and we never seem to be able to sign these guys. If you had the choice to sign anywhere in the league (and a player like Edler would have this choice), why would you chose to sign with the worst post-lockout team that is ALSO a media hotbed, where you'll be constantly criticized and forced to endure massive stress? The money won't even be the best, since Burke refuses to sign cap evading contracts (though they might be a thing of the past regardless in the next CBA).

I also think defence is the position where we need the least help. Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Franson, Liles and Komi is a fairly good group of NHL dmen, and they're also reasonably young (Gards is 22, Franson and Gunnarsson are 25, Phaneuf is 27, even Komi and Liles aren't THAT old at 30 and 31). In terms of prospects we're absolutely stacked on d. Rielly is a kid with top pairing potential; Blacker, Percy and Finn all have top 4 potential; Holzer is probably NHL ready right now. Over the coming seasons we should have quite the excess of dmen, if anything we'll be looking to deal dmen to address holes in other areas.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Edler, Perry and Getzlaf please.

Man, if we got all three of guys...lets just say, I jizzed my pants just typing their names.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
As a poster said above, I'd love to get Fistric here. That guy is a physical menace.

To those saying Regehr, not gunna happen. He was one of the Flames "leaders" that Dion had all the problems with, IIRC
I think that was it. But now Phaneuf has the C, not Regehr. That could be the solution to the problem between them haha.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
KuleminFan41

If the lockout ends, doesn't mean those guys wont stay UFA's

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Edler, Perry and Getzlaf please.

Man, if we got all three of guys...lets just say, I jizzed my pants just typing their names.
Both Kessel and Perry are RW, who don't play LW. But in dream world if we got all three

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Perry
Kulemin - Defencive #3C - Kadri
Steckle - McClement - Brown/Komarov
*Steckle comes in for Faceoff's

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles - Holzer/Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

PP #1

Kessel - Getzlaf - Perry
Edler - Phaneuf

PP #2

Kadri - van Riemsdyk - Grabovski
Liles - Gardiner

PK #1

McClement - Kulemin
Gunnarsson - Holzer/Komisarek

PK #2

Steckle - Brown/Komarov
Edler - Phaneuf

That's a legit playoff team.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
PP #2

Kadri - van Riemsdyk - Grabovski
Liles - Gardiner
You have two centers on that line, but you put a winger thats horrible on draws in between them? Weird.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote