HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could This Be the Leafs Best Chance For A Cup Since 67'?

Old
09-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Who would the replacement players even be (assuming this happens which I doubt)? The AHL players? Players from overseas? Junior hockey players? Players who just play shinny? Owners would probably lose more money from having to pay these players while still getting no revenue from fans which is what they are already getting now.

Regardless of who the players would be it wouldn't be nearly as exciting and I would probably just end up watching the Marlies/Knights instead anyways.
Replacement players couldn't be anyone under current NHL contract no matter where they play as they would be a part of the NHLPA.

Also it couldn't be junior players as the lockout is not designed to destroy junior hockey seasons, and those clubs have commitments to fans and season ticket holders.

So it would have to be you and I that they're looking for.. I played CIS/CIAU level Canadian College Hockey, and continue to play in our Men's Rec league, so I could send in a resume.

09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
htpwn

From the BoH board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
You can't bring in replacement players under a lockout.

In order to get scabs replacement players, the League would first have to declare an impasse, have it upheld by the NLRB, and then impose their final CBA offer as an interim CBA - plus whatever regulatory requirements there are in Canada. They could then lift the lockout and play under the impasse CBA. The NHLPA would then have the option to strike, players could honor the strike or not, and replacement players could be hired. Even in that case, replacement players might not be legal in Quebec, AIUI.
As usual, Watters likely has no clue what he is talking about. The NHL can't just hire replacement players. They'll have to make their case in six different jurdicitions (the United States, B.C., Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec), all with different laws. Quebec would be the biggest problem, as the province is the only place in North America where you cannot hire replacement workers.

Last edited by htpwn: 09-18-2012 at 09:32 AM.
htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Replacement players couldn't be anyone under current NHL contract no matter where they play as they would be a part of the NHLPA.

Also it couldn't be junior players as the lockout is not designed to destroy junior hockey seasons, and those clubs have commitments to fans and season ticket holders.

So it would have to be you and I that they're looking for.. I played CIS/CIAU level Canadian College Hockey, and continue to play in our Men's Rec league, so I could send in a resume.
I'm not very good. That means I'm entitled to a huge salary like Gomez or Komi right?

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Makes sense, after all Wilbur is a replacement journalist.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
With it being a lockout, can the League legally bring in replacement players?
That was my question...

I'm as anti-union as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock out a union then bring in replacements.

edit: The post above (thanks hptwn) adds to the confirmation -- Bill Waters is an idiot. I remember a couple months ago saying the same thing the last time he said something completely ridiculous... can't remember what it was though. We should have a sticky for Waterisms...

Last edited by seanlinden: 09-18-2012 at 08:53 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
That was my question...

I'm as anti-union as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock out a union then bring in replacements.

edit: The post above (thanks hptwn) adds to the confirmation -- Bill Waters is an idiot. I remember a couple months ago saying the same thing the last time he said something completely ridiculous... can't remember what it was though. We should have a sticky for Waterisms...
I think we should all get avatars/backgrounds made with Watters,Fletcher and Doug McClean as the 3 monkeys, blind mice and stooges. McClean on the radio/tv today justifying why Bettman makes 10 million a year and Daly makes 2.5. I wonder if they still get paid?.....
Apparently, the NHL has cut off the insurance plans of all it's players, so now if Joe Fro wants to play in Europe, it is contingent on him getting an insurance plan to protect the NHL's insurance plan.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
As usual, Watters likely has no clue what he is talking about. The NHL can't just hire replacement players....
... Wilbur still shooting off his mouth htp? Why am I not surprised?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:27 PM
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I'm not sure if his current radio persona is just shtick, or if he has turned into Grandpa Simpson.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Toronto Maple Leafs Replacement Team:

Hollweg - Wallin - Sjostrom
Lundmark - Dupuis - Devereau
Pohl - Primeau - Ondrus
Earl - Williams - Battaglia

Finger - Lebda
Sifers - Wozniewski
Oreskovic - Frogren

Pogge
Tellqvist

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
leafsrule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs Replacement Team:

Hollweg - Wallin - Sjostrom
Lundmark - Dupuis - Devereau
Pohl - Primeau - Ondrus
Earl - Williams - Battaglia

Finger - Lebda
Sifers - Wozniewski
Oreskovic - Frogren

Pogge
Tellqvist
Boy that team could win the cup in the NHL no problem....lol

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
the squared circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Imagine they do that and their replacement team can't even make the playoffs

**** OFF this team pisses me off
HAHAHA Too true mcleex, too true. Your post actually made me laugh out loud, cuz that would be our luck as Leaf fans.

the squared circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
stumpythomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
It's a lockout. Not a strike. End.
This.

stumpythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

epic thread

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:21 PM
iPunch

They can replace the players but the whining fans will remain.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

alright sick, so we might have our goal scorer.. does anyone got a handle bar stash and wanna play 4th line wing?

i shotty 3rd line C

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I thought Eric Staal was going to be a Leaf this summer?

Oh Wilbur, you so crazy.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Bill Waters was on the radio claiming NHL owners will not cancel the season, and have a plan to use replacement players if no deal is done by Christmas.

With the Leafs money, they could get a really great replacement team.
I wonder if the Leafs could afford: Keon, Armstrong, Kelley .... Where is the Parade???

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I generally refrain from posting on the team boards of Habs rivals but I had to indulge myself this time. The idea of replacement players is just dumb. I have seen some very good posts in this thread regarding how Watters may be on drugs or that winning with replacement players will just replace 1967 when it comes to mocking.

The wider issue though is that replacement players as a concept is dumb. I have been vocal about how the Stanley Cup should be awarded to only the best of the best or not awarded at all. I extend that reasoning to the concept of replacement players. I watch the NHL to see the best in the world at their craft compete for the ultimate prize in their sport. Replacement players does not offer that.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Pierre Gotye

I have no idea how the NHL would find replacement players...they would have to be players who haven't signed anywhere. Which I guess could mean some NHLers who are free-agents could play...dunno how that would work with the PA.

So probably a bunch of B rate players from Europe...or some guys who are playing in high level adult rec leagues around the U.S. and in Canada.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote