HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers during the lockout (12/12: Stepan, McDonagh, Nash, Del Zotto return home)

Old
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
what if a player gets a career injury during the lockout while playing overseas??? has this ever been brought up???
I believe the union is paying the premiums for insurance.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Oh no a hockey player wants to play.....hockey?!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I really don't care if guys want to play in the SEL or in the Swiss league. It's their life. And if they get hurt there, they get hurt. They could get hurt playing here. It sucks but it's their decision. The only thing that bothered me was I wanted Nash to wait it out a little longer to develop chemistry with his new teammates. I mean he may not have left yet for Switzerland but whatevs.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Kershaw

This means McDonagh and the rest of the ELC players on our roster overseas. Feels bad man.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This means McDonagh and the rest of the ELC players on our roster overseas. Feels bad man.
You don't know that for sure. The players that have left are guys that are from overseas or they played there during the last lockout. I don't see McDonagh and Stepan going overseas. SEL hasn't approved NHL players yet. I doubt our guys go near russia. I think they would only consider SEL imo.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Teams overseas are not going to sign a ton of players from the NHL. Most countries have limits on the number of foreign players who can be signed per team and the even if they loosen those restrictions, there are only so many players on each roster. European teams are going to want either hometown favorites or star players who are well known from international play. Most players on the Rangers' roster aren't going to be playing in Europe.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
The fact that we have to see Nash in a Davos jersey before a NYR jersey really pisses me off

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Can we get streams for these games?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Ronald Dubinsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Those Euro leagues have no fans? That's beyond ridiculous...
Yeah, they don't. Tiny arenas, ads plastered over jerseys to stay afloat financially.

Ronald Dubinsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Ronald Dubinsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
I'm talking about euro leagues.

You gave me a response about the breakdown of nationalities in the NHL, something completely unrelated....

Last edited by TP: 09-19-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: mod
Old
09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Ronald Dubinsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shattenpants View Post
A team from that "garbage clown league" beat our very own Rangers in preseason last year.
Oh man. They beat a gutted Rangers roster in a PRESEASON GAME!!!

I guess that decides it then. Euro leagues > NHL

Old
09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dubinsky View Post
I'm talking about euro leagues.

You gave me a response about the breakdown of nationalities in the NHL, something completely unrelated....
Unrelated? Where do you think those players came from before the NHL.

Last edited by TP: 09-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old
09-19-2012, 09:12 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, they don't. Tiny arenas, ads plastered over jerseys to stay afloat financially.
They're smaller for a reason: drastically less population. Look at Sweden--it's home to less than 10 million people. That's over thirty times smaller than the United States. Do you think it's realistic for them to have 25k-seat arenas in a couple dozen cities? That's ridiculous. The arenas are built to serve the population. You get a team like MODO that plays in Örnsköldsvik, a city of less than 30,000 people. And yet they still pack their 7,600-seat arena each and every night. European fans are just as fervent in their support, if not more, than we are.

Everywhere else in the world, teams wear ads on their jerseys. In pretty much every professional sport. This isn't unique to European hockey clubs. It's just how things are. We're even beginning to see it in North American sports as well. If you think it's ridiculous, brace yourself, because you're going to see more and more of it over the coming years. The established teams have been around forever. MODO, Frölunda, AIK, and so on have been in existence since the 20s and 30s. They don't advertise to "stay afloat financially," they just do it for an additional revenue source. Many of these teams are in far better financial shape than many NHL clubs.

It's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about though, and are just spouting ignorant crap to get attention. I'm done wasting keystrokes here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Desdichado62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I believe the union is paying the premiums for insurance.
no, either the new teams or the player will have to pay the insurance.

This has been debated over here since even if some players
says that they are willing to play for free, the teams still have to
pay for the players insurances.

Desdichado62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Maybe putting ads on our jerseys will stop future lockouts.. Euro leagues never lock out.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Maybe putting ads on our jerseys will stop future lockouts.. Euro leagues never lock out.
Most European countries have labor laws that are far more worker-friendly than we do here. I think that's the biggest factor.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

That's... a perspective on it.

Some of the "low level" European leagues developed stars like Henrik Lundqvist for us. It just seems hypocritical to be hyper snobby about the NHL, when it is one of the few leagues of a truly international popular sport that we can claim to be the best.

For me, if Henrik signed for Frolunda this season (SEL would have to retract its stance) and it was televised, i'd probably watch it. What the fans sometimes lack in numbers they more than make up for in volume.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Like nyr2k2 said: There are towns with under 30k inhabitants and yet they can fill their 7,600 arena every single game. Meanwhile a team from a metropolitan area with 19 million people can't regularly fill their 16,200 arena. So who has no fans?

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I never questioned their fans. I'm simply saying the quality of play and skill of those leagues (outside the KHL) doesn't compare to the NHL.

Those who say AHL teams can beat them are wrong, but comparing the NHL to these leagues, come on..

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I never questioned their fans. I'm simply saying the quality of play and skill of those leagues (outside the KHL) doesn't compare to the NHL.

Those who say AHL teams can beat them are wrong, but comparing the NHL to these leagues, come on..
I don't think anybody says that they were comparable to the NHL. But that doesn't mean they are garbage leagues either or that they'd have no fans like that other poster is saying. That's either very arrogant or simply completely ignorant.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They're smaller for a reason: drastically less population. Look at Sweden--it's home to less than 10 million people. That's over thirty times smaller than the United States. Do you think it's realistic for them to have 25k-seat arenas in a couple dozen cities? That's ridiculous. The arenas are built to serve the population. You get a team like MODO that plays in Örnsköldsvik, a city of less than 30,000 people. And yet they still pack their 7,600-seat arena each and every night. European fans are just as fervent in their support, if not more, than we are.

Everywhere else in the world, teams wear ads on their jerseys. In pretty much every professional sport. This isn't unique to European hockey clubs. It's just how things are. We're even beginning to see it in North American sports as well. If you think it's ridiculous, brace yourself, because you're going to see more and more of it over the coming years. The established teams have been around forever. MODO, Frölunda, AIK, and so on have been in existence since the 20s and 30s. They don't advertise to "stay afloat financially," they just do it for an additional revenue source. Many of these teams are in far better financial shape than many NHL clubs.

It's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about though, and are just spouting ignorant crap to get attention. I'm done wasting keystrokes here.
I personally think that a few pro teams (especially hockey) here are going to end up with ads on their jerseys (unfortunately...) But i think the very wealthy owners/teams like Pegula or Dolan won't succumb to it very quickly, or barely at all.

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
European leagues are propped up here on HF as talented and respectful, but really they're garbage.

SEL
SM-Liiga
National League
etc.

Outside of the KHL, which may be near the AHL in terms of talent, these Euro leagues have no fans, goofy, ad-ridden jerseys, a non-contact style of play, and castoffs who couldn't cut it in the NHL. They suck. All of them.

Nash is better off playing with the Rangers farm system with the prospects or not playing at all.

Why risk injury playing in these talentless euro leagues? The same applies for all players, not just Nash.
Yep. Don't know what the Rangers were thinking when they took that talentless clown, Lundqvist. He did come from these talentless Euro leagues.

Same with the Senators and this year's Norris winner.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Pretty much all of this plus what many others have said in response.

Ronald, I sincerely hope you're a troll. Otherwise you're just being silly and embarrassing. I don't care if you end up realizing you're incredibly wrong about everything you've said, or whether you own up to it or not, but please just stop feeling a need to share ridiculous and false statements. Move on.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
what if a player slips on a banana peel while walking home? It's a cruel world out there.
o'doyle rulesss !!!!

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
vstk

One reason why the European leagues are "garbage" (not really) is because they just simply cannot offer players $4-8 million contracts. Of course the players care about money and sign with the team that offers them way more than any team could offer in their home town or country. That is absolutely understandable and it is widely accepted among fans and owners. It is business after all. So, the league which offers most money usually gets the best players. Simple, right?

That, however, does not mean that the European leagues are "garbage". Not at all. Let's look at it this way, Ronald, if the players and the league in United States is so much superior than European leagues, why hasn't USA won ANYTHING on international level since.. What, The Miracle? Sure, the players play in NHL but they have been developed in Europe. Hopefully you understand that.

Sure, the NHL is the best league in the world. I don't think anyone who is equipped with reason is arguing that. Ronald, you just made completely idiot argument by saying the leagues are garbage and they have no fans. That is beyond ridiculous.

vstk is offline   Reply With Quote