HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke vs. Marc Bergevin

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
wreckingcru

vCash: 500
Brian Burke vs. Marc Bergevin

Hi, fan here, I know there is many threads on Brian Burke, lots of haters, and people of who support him. I was comparing him in my head today to Marc, as they both control hockey hotbeds original six franchises. While Burke has done some questionable trading, albeit some good ones at times, Marc has done a fantastic job in his short time as Manager of the . The great job he has done at the draft (drafting Galchenyuk, Thrower and Collberg), accompanied by his signing of Price, the new coaches he brought in. Who do you think has done a better job in the time they have been GM ? Brian Burke of Marc Bergevin?

Old
09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Yep, Marc is getting some great results in Montreal.

How about we wait until his team has played a game before we start comparing Gms?

Old
09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Jury's Out...

Montreals' in its earliest of early days, remains to be seen. Burke's tenure has been frought with difficulties, personal & professional. Different personality types & styles.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
showtime8

Bergevin can't really be credited with much regarding what he has done. The preparation for the draft starts basically 2 years prior to when the draft actually takes place, so saying that Burke did it (when he took Kadri) or Bergevin (this past draft with Galch. Thrower) isn't really justified.

I think that there were far less holes for Bergevin to fill, but has done an admirable job at putting those in place. I also wonder about giving Pacioretty that much money after one good year. Hopefully for the Leafs sake, its a one year wonder, but you just never know sometimes about handing guys the big money (see results of Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, etc.)

However, I do think that the Habs had the best draft overall. Still being able to get Brady Vail in the 4th round is astounding. Very surprised on how some guys dropped.

You also have to keep in mind that Burke was able to shed the contracts of Blake, Stajan, Mayers and Hagman. Despite what you make think of Phaneuf, that was an actually an upgrade.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:20 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

He's done a fantastic job because he re-signed Cary Price? I like what Les Habitants did at the draft but why don't you wait and see how much the coaching changes help Montreal (if it all).

Old
09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 1552
In my mind Bergevin basically listened to his scouts on who to draft. He replaced a coach which pretty much every GM does when they go to a new team. He signed some core players that had to be signed (Subban is still without a contract) and he signed some depth players. Prust seems a little overpaid but they didn't really have anyone like him so you can justify that I guess.

He hasn't had to get creative or make any hard decisions yet. Can't judge how he does, yet alone compare him to others, until some hockey has actually been played.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Kulemon

Lettuce be real tea...

Timmins did everything draft related. This should be common knowledge. The only reason Bergevin got any credit was for publicity and it being the first draft as him as GM.

The MT hire was also pretty bad.

Re-signing RFA's that don't want to go anywhere also isn't that special.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
ponder

There's no way to judge Bergevin at the moment, he's basically an unknown. Burke is much easier to judge, in his career has done some great things (fancy moves to get both Sedins in Vancouver, solid moves to win a cup in Anaheim), though he has been more of a mixed bag in Toronto (the Kessel trade was a mistake, poor signings like Komi, Connolly and Army, but also some great moves like the Gards/Lupul trade and the Phaneuf trade). I'd say Burke is a decent GM, Bergevin could be anywhere from excellent to horrendous, only time will tell.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:40 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post

How about we wait until his team has played a game before we start comparing Gms?
this montreal has some problems similar to the leafs. they had the right pick to get a high potential center but kept it, it is really the major difference so far.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post

QFT.

Bergevin has basically done absolutely nothing except go through the motions as any GM does. He drafted at the position he was given, and resigned a couple of insignificant players. Other than that, he signed a couple of depth tougher guys, and chose to wait on getting PK Subban inked to a contract when many GMs signed their young guys right before the lockout. We'll see how the former strategy plays out when the season starts, the latter when/if Subban signs.

That being said, if Bergevin is the status quo, and you're comparing him to Brian Burke's tenure in Toronto, then Bergevin gets the obvious win. There's nobody who's done a worse job than Burke turning resources into wins since his tenure in Toronto started. In fact, I don't think there's many teams who have less wins than him since that point in time... and they certainly don't have the resources Toronto does.

You can't criticize Burke for inaction like you could criticize Bergevin, but it's not like Burke's actions have contributed positively to anything since arriving in Toronto.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

leafs fan? sure is french grammatical structure in the OP around here

anyway it's kind of unfair to judge given that bergevin hasn't even been around for a regular season game...

Old
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

I love how a great draft is drafting highly ranked players in late rounds... the fell for a reason

Old
09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Fantastic job? Really? Like, fantastic?

Old
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Suntouchable13

I just hope that Bergevin does not make the playoffs before Burke.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
TheSilencer

Ridiculous thread, considering that we haven't even seen a single Habs season under Bergevin.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:36 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
QFT.

Bergevin has basically done absolutely nothing except go through the motions as any GM does. He drafted at the position he was given, and resigned a couple of insignificant players. Other than that, he signed a couple of depth tougher guys, and chose to wait on getting PK Subban inked to a contract when many GMs signed their young guys right before the lockout. We'll see how the former strategy plays out when the season starts, the latter when/if Subban signs.

That being said, if Bergevin is the status quo, and you're comparing him to Brian Burke's tenure in Toronto, then Bergevin gets the obvious win. There's nobody who's done a worse job than Burke turning resources into wins since his tenure in Toronto started. In fact, I don't think there's many teams who have less wins than him since that point in time... and they certainly don't have the resources Toronto does.

You can't criticize Burke for inaction like you could criticize Bergevin, but it's not like Burke's actions have contributed positively to anything since arriving in Toronto.
Don't forget, he resigned Price and Pacioretty before the lock-out. I would not say they're insignificant.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:49 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

What are Marc Bergevin's credentials as a general manager...

Old
09-19-2012, 02:11 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Bergevin's stint thus far in Montreal looks great on paper, but has yet to prove anything. Not much sample size for Bergevin, thus can't rank him over Burke at this time.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Is Montreal in better or worse shape, than the Leafs were when Burke took over?

The state of both teams right now is basically equal.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
Hi, fan here, I know there is many threads on Brian Burke, lots of haters, and people of who support him. I was comparing him in my head today to Marc, as they both control hockey hotbeds original six franchises. While Burke has done some questionable trading, albeit some good ones at times, Marc has done a fantastic job in his short time as Manager of the . The great job he has done at the draft (drafting Galchenyuk, Thrower and Collberg), accompanied by his signing of Price, the new coaches he brought in. Who do you think has done a better job in the time they have been GM ? Brian Burke of Marc Bergevin?
What do u mean great job at the draft for drafting Galchenyuk? the guy was slated to go there and he picked him how is that a good move? Lets wait and see what the results are before we start comparing GM's.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Man Bear Pig

He had one of the better drafts as of right now but really, what can you base his grade on? getting a few guys past the first round that HF posters really liked? hardly enough proof. Like all GM's, there will be a honeymoon faze. Then we you see the team struggle even just a little bit, Habs fans and media will call for his head in over-reaction. Happens in every big market. Zero middle-ground.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:41 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Fantastic job? Really? Like, fantastic?
Fantastic.. just fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
What do u mean great job at the draft for drafting Galchenyuk? the guy was slated to go there and he picked him how is that a good move? .
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
He had one of the better drafts as of right now but really, what can you base his grade on? getting a few guys past the first round that HF posters really liked?
Getting guys that HFboards likes is usually a horrible move

Old
09-19-2012, 06:28 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
He's done a fantastic job because he re-signed Cary Price? I like what Les Habitants did at the draft but why don't you wait and see how much the coaching changes help Montreal (if it all).
It would be great if the Leafs had Carey Price...

Old
09-19-2012, 06:34 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
QFT.

MaxPac and Price insignificant. Be serious lad.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:38 AM
SprDaVE

What... What am I reading here?

Is this reality?

Closed Thread