HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2012, 03:38 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
In terms of value, JVR > Luongo.
I don't know how many forwards who haven't scored more than 40 points have more value than Luongo but JVR isn't one of them.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
I can almost guarantee you that Burke didn't offer Luke Schenn for Roberto Luongo.

He managed to get James van Riemsdyk, straight up for Luke Schenn.

In terms of value, JVR > Luongo.

You can almost guarantee...? Are you a journalist of some kind? I'm sorry, but reputed sources reported that rumour. The flow of it, and the rejection. Also, it just happens the leafs turned around and traded Schenn just _after_ the rejection came to light. So we have chronology, assets, flow (which party approached which), followed by its rejection and the eventual trade.

That rumour >> your opinion.

And the evaluation you've got there is skewed. If in fact the rumour was legit, then it equates to Luongo's value being higher than either player.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
You can almost guarantee...? Are you a journalist of some kind? I'm sorry, but reputed sources reported that rumour. The flow of it, and the rejection. Also, it just happens the leafs turned around and traded Schenn just _after_ the rejection came to light. So we have chronology, assets, flow (which party approached which), followed by its rejection and the eventual trade.

That rumour >> your opinion.

And the evaluation you've got there is skewed. If in fact the rumour was legit, then it equates to Luongo's value being higher than either player.
Please provide links to sources.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:35 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Burke calling before the lockout came into effect is a moot point. Who cares?

Luongo has an NTC that Gillis has stated he will never ask a player to waive. Gillis apparently wants to stay employed by the Aquilinis and Burke testified in court for the other side in an Aquilini related lawsuit. Schnieder just signed without an NTC. Add it up.

Since trades are frozen for the duration of the lock-out, I think the whole world will have changed drastically before this becomes a viable discussion point again. Even then, why accept players from a team like Toronto? Do the Canucks have a bunch of underemployed councillors they want to get working? Did Luongo do something to earn a demotion to the worst team in pro sports, as rated by ESPN?

When hockey resumes next September, Luongo will be thirty four and over a year out of hockey. What will his trade value be, then? Enough to offset his value on the ice?

Luongo will probably play out as many years as he wants in Vancouver. He wasn't exactly reviled when he came here for a golf tournament. His team mates didn't boo him off the ice or try to beat him up. What's the problem? He backs up when the league pulls its head out of their own zone until Schnieder is moved out. Then he mentors Lack. Then he retires.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Pepper

Quote:
You can almost guarantee...? Are you a journalist of some kind? I'm sorry, but reputed sources reported that rumour.
This is the first time I've heard of such rumor, please provide links to these sources.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
This is the first time I've heard of such rumor, please provide links to these sources.

I believe, and it was some time ago around the draft, that the initial report was from the Fan 590 out of Calgary. But not 100% sure there as it was some time ago. Currently searching their audio vault. (Note: This was right around the time when it was speculated that a deal to TO was 90% done).

Here's a link on ProHockeyTalk (via NBC sports) referencing to the same rumour. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ys-canucks-gm/

Quote (Jason Brough): "Yesterday, a rumor surfaced that a deal sending Luongo to the Maple Leafs was all but official. (In return for Luke Schenn and Toronto’s fifth overall pick, if you’re wondering.)"

Here's another reference from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Thought #5 has the following text: 5. "Luongo might not prefer Toronto, but he knows it makes a lot of sense for everyone involved -- even him. Several reports indicated Luke Schenn was offered for the goalie, but think Canucks GM Mike Gillis countered by asking for Toronto's fifth-overall draft pick. The Maple Leafs and Canucks are playing a macho game right now, but things will eventually get serious. Hopefully soon."

Then there's this report from Mike Boone of the Montreal Gazette that had Luke Schenn and the 5th overall pick available to move up in the draft: http://nhltradereport.com/nhl-trade-...oilers-423095/

(Of note there is that the same package was rumoured to be involved in both deals, lending credence to the fact that at least Schenn was available for trade. And that he was offered up for the 1st overall pick, or Luongo, or JVR. The latter deal being the one that eventually met the needs of both parties.)

Now if you want to question this further, I suggest you talk to Elliotte Friedman about his sources. As he does say "several reports"... My ability to link you with the materials that will sate your curiousity (which I believe won't happen) is largely academic at this point...

Old
09-19-2012, 07:05 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Personally, I do not see Lombardi as worth it. He is basically a reclamation project at this point, coming off a terrible season. Change the second to MacArthur would be the only way I'd consider it. Otherwise we are getting nothing to help us.
Well, the second wouldn't be offered in addition to Kadri/Lombardi... so neither would MacArthur, unless of course the cap remains upwards of $65m.

In terms of "getting something that helps" you absolutely do. Kadri's a high potential prospect who will play on the wing immidiately, and Lombardi, a reclamation project, who has proven the ability to be a solid 2nd line two-way winger center in this league -- exactly what the Canucks should be looking for. Obviously the preference is for somebody who would be more reliable, but that doesn't seem available for Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
But this isn't any better then what most Florida fans were willing to offer(Upshall, Petrovic, Clemmensen/Theodore, 2nd)

If Toronto wants Luongo, they could at least do better than that(seeing as they have a greater need than Florida), by either upping the pick to a 1st, with our 2nd going the other way, maybe? And make the swap conditional on it being above a top-10 pick?
That really depends on how you view the Leafs assets. The first isn't going to move, and neither is a goaltender. If it means we're not getting Luongo, that's fine, but we're not going to go beyond what it makes sense for our team to pay.

At that point, you've gotta decide whether you'd rather have Kadri & Lombardi, or Petrovic, Upshall, and the goaltender. If I was Vancouver, I take Kadri over Petrovic because he's NHL-ready, and Lombardi over Upshall because of the shorter contract and ability to play centre. Does the goaltender make up for it? I'd say yes if it's Theodore, no if it's Clemmensen.... but then you get into the issue of whether or not Theo's willing to waive his NTC, and if not, is it worth trading for Luongo?

Sure, you could wait a year, but what if Markstrom finally bursts onto the scene?

Last edited by seanlinden: 09-19-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old
09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
I think Bjugstad's value is inflated by his size. A 6'6" top6 forward is a rarity in the NHL. Just recognizing that alone gets people projecting Getzlaf, Kopitar and/or Thornton on to him... Whether he gets there is a completely different story. But just the notion of him getting there, makes people covet him.

The other part of it is, is that Bjugstad plays a more versatile game. While he doesn't use his size all that much, he's still got the reach. And he plays the full 200ft. While Kadri, in comparison, is not known for his defensive acumen. So you can put Bjugstad in the bottom6. Let him grow. But you would be hard pressed to do that with Kadri -- it's just not his game.

That said, Kadri could burst onto the scene as a top6 forward and never look back... The safe money, however, is still on Bjugstad.
And the underrating of Toronto prospects continue... "safe bet"... Bjugstad's never played a single professional game. That's like calling Joe Colborne a safe bet. Yes, his NCAA numbers are good, but that doesn't mean you can call him a safe bet. If he was a "safe bet" with that kind of size, he wouldn't have been passed over 18 times in the draft, and he certainly hasn't done a ton to increase his stock since then.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
I believe, and it was some time ago around the draft, that the initial report was from the Fan 590 out of Calgary. But not 100% sure there as it was some time ago. Currently searching their audio vault. (Note: This was right around the time when it was speculated that a deal to TO was 90% done).

Here's a link on ProHockeyTalk (via NBC sports) referencing to the same rumour. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ys-canucks-gm/

Quote (Jason Brough): "Yesterday, a rumor surfaced that a deal sending Luongo to the Maple Leafs was all but official. (In return for Luke Schenn and Toronto’s fifth overall pick, if you’re wondering.)"

Here's another reference from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Thought #5 has the following text: 5. "Luongo might not prefer Toronto, but he knows it makes a lot of sense for everyone involved -- even him. Several reports indicated Luke Schenn was offered for the goalie, but think Canucks GM Mike Gillis countered by asking for Toronto's fifth-overall draft pick. The Maple Leafs and Canucks are playing a macho game right now, but things will eventually get serious. Hopefully soon."

Then there's this report from Mike Boone of the Montreal Gazette that had Luke Schenn and the 5th overall pick available to move up in the draft: http://nhltradereport.com/nhl-trade-...oilers-423095/

(Of note there is that the same package was rumoured to be involved in both deals, lending credence to the fact that at least Schenn was available for trade. And that he was offered up for the 1st overall pick, or Luongo, or JVR. The latter deal being the one that eventually met the needs of both parties.)

Now if you want to question this further, I suggest you talk to Elliotte Friedman about his sources. As he does say "several reports"... My ability to link you with the materials that will sate your curiousity (which I believe won't happen) is largely academic at this point...
Honestly one of the worst jobs at presenting the sources to a claimed trade rumour.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Well, the second wouldn't be offered in addition to Kadri/Lombardi... so neither would MacArthur, unless of course the cap remains upwards of $65m.

In terms of "getting something that helps" you absolutely do. Kadri's a high potential prospect who will play on the wing immidiately, and Lombardi, a reclamation project, who has proven the ability to be a solid 2nd line two-way winger center in this league -- exactly what the Canucks should be looking for. Obviously the preference is for somebody who would be more reliable, but that doesn't seem available for Luongo.

That really depends on how you view the Leafs assets. The first isn't going to move, and neither is a goaltender. If it means we're not getting Luongo, that's fine, but we're not going to go beyond what it makes sense for our team to pay.

At that point, you've gotta decide whether you'd rather have Kadri & Lombardi, or Petrovic, Upshall, and the goaltender. If I was Vancouver, I take Kadri over Petrovic because he's NHL-ready, and Lombardi over Upshall because of the shorter contract and ability to play centre. Does the goaltender make up for it? I'd say yes if it's Theodore, no if it's Clemmensen.... but then you get into the issue of whether or not Theo's willing to waive his NTC, and if not, is it worth trading for Luongo?
Well, imo:

Petrovic(NHL ready, big and tough, RD) = Kadri
2nd = 2nd(If your even offering it...)
Upshall >/= Lombardi
Clemmensen/Theodore > nothing

Old
09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Petrovic is more comparable to Jesse Blacker.

Kadri is a better prospect than either.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Petrovic is more comparable to Jesse Blacker.

Kadri is a better prospect than either.
Petrovic got 48 points in 68 games in the WHL, then 6 points in 9 playoff games in the AHL. Blacker got 16 points in 58 games, and 1 point in 8 playoff games.

Petrovic is bigger and tougher than Blacker. There really is no comparison.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Petrovic got 48 points in 68 games in the WHL, then 6 points in 9 playoff games in the AHL. Blacker got 16 points in 58 games, and 1 point in 8 playoff games.

Petrovic is bigger and tougher than Blacker. There really is no comparison.
I think they are very comparable.

Blacker was being compared to Jake Gardiner at last seasons training camp.

Petrovic at 18 years old (WHL): 63 points in 78 games
Blacker at 18 years old (OHL): 33 points in 57 games

Petrovic at 19 years old (WHL): 48 points in 68 games
Blacker at 19 years old (OHL): 70 points in 84 games (OHL & Memorial Cup Champion)

Petrovic at 19 years old (AHL): 6 points in 14 games
Blacker at 19 years old (AHL): 1 point in 6 games

Alex Petrovic - 36th overall (2nd round) in 2010
Jesse Blacker - 58th overall (2nd round) in 2009

Last edited by Four1 Lead: 09-19-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old
09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Honestly one of the worst jobs at presenting the sources to a claimed trade rumour.

Ha, so you're worried about the presentation? What about the substance? Question Elliotte Friedman as well?

I knew you would dismiss it. It's far easier to do so without presenting anything of value yourself. The "I can guarantee X" drivel that you've been spouting here has no more weight than a fart in the wind. _That's_ the stuff that should be dismissed outright.

You're not connected. You can't guarantee a thing. So why feel the need to pretend like you can?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
And the underrating of Toronto prospects continue... "safe bet"... Bjugstad's never played a single professional game. That's like calling Joe Colborne a safe bet. Yes, his NCAA numbers are good, but that doesn't mean you can call him a safe bet. If he was a "safe bet" with that kind of size, he wouldn't have been passed over 18 times in the draft, and he certainly hasn't done a ton to increase his stock since then.

Bjugstad was a safe pick, in that his ultimate upside was not thought to be as high as Kadri's own. Bjugstad could still top out as a 3rd liner. Kadri is more boom/bust.

To put it plainly, I don't put much stock in Kadri's two-way game at all. If he soldifies his spot as a pro, it's as a top6 player. I don't see value in him from the bottom6. To contrast, Bjugstad does bring value to the bottom6 even if he doesn't achieve top6 status. Hence, a safer bet to establish his career in the NHL.

Bjugstad still over Kadri. That's got nothing to do with underrating TO's prospects, and everything to do with understanding the weaknesses in both, and how they can be mitigated.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
This is where you're wrong. Van gets something. They get to lose his $5.3mill cap hit without taking any bad contracts back. If the return is better than that, sure trade him. But all Canuck fans are hearing here is that he's worth little to nothing - sell him for pennies on the dollar - and the Canucks would be forced to take on a bad contract. For a contending team, taking on a bad contract while getting prospects who may not even help this team in a few years - if at all - isn't better than just losing that contract and using that cap space and your own futures to add a rental or two that actually addresses team needs.

Waivers is a last resort situation where losing his cap hit without taking anything back is a better deal than taking on crap contracts that don't address team needs. Of course there's no need to consider that option until you actually need his cap space for other areas... Until then there's no problem just keeping him on the team, and keeping the team's 1-2 punch which were the biggest reason for the last President's win.
I disagree with this statement. I think there is very clearly two schools of thought on his trade value. 1. if VAN wants something like Kadri + 1st, they are going to have to take back a bad contract. 2. If VAN wants cap relief, Lu's trade value is not top prospect + 1st rd pick (especially likely high 1st, if TOR is involved).

That is great if you are willing to commit to so much cap space in goal for next year - probably won't affect your team too much, and VAN will likely have another stellar season. But, that can't be a long-term strategy - too many cooks in the kitchen, too much money tied up in a position only one player can play per game. What it ultimately leads too (as VAN fans should know better than anyone) is "OMG Goalie X had a bad game, but Goalie Y is on fire - Goalie Y should be our starter, even though Goalie X is one year removed from being a Vezina finalist and got us to the Cup finals! I think the odds are better than even that tide turns on Schneider at some point this/next season (whenever the heck they play) if Lu is playing solid when he gets his chances to play.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

Blacker at 19 years old (OHL): 70 points in 84 games (OHL & Memorial Cup Champion)

Any two players can be "compared" per se. Although in result it does not makes those players equivalent or in a lot of senses a good comparison. This is an example of one of those. A stastical comparison can be used as reference for playing style, pedigree and potential can be used if you wish but even in this case, can be very misleading. Yet based on one year of junior stats, I see your rationale.
Just my two cents.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Any two players can be "compared" per se. Although in result it does not makes those players equivalent or in a lot of senses a good comparison. This is an example of one of those. A stastical comparison can be used as reference for playing style, pedigree and potential can be used if you wish but even in this case, do you no justice. Just my two cents.
Blacker had a very good season in the AHL on a team that made it to the finals.

His pedigree is on par with Petrovic.

Stats reflect similar production, to go along with skill and potential.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

Honestly, you sound like a used car saleman with this. Lombardi has very little value, if any as of the moment, would not fill in over what we already have and is essentially nothing beyond a cap dump. He would have to make a massive rebound to reach even close to the expectations you readily acclaim of him. Meanwhile, Luongo has been elite his entire career and continues to spot stellar numbers.

Kadri may be a nice piece but he has proven nothing. He would not insert himself into our second line seeing he couldn't crack Toronto's. The probability is he slips into the third line spot (making Lombardi even more redundant) or plays in the minors for another season.

MacArthur at least gives us something to work with now, even if he is an inferior Higgins. If he keeps Raymond the hell off Kesler's line. I am all for it.

If the deal cannot even be Kadri, MacArthur and Lombardi. This discussion ends, as it is just yet another "let's rip off Vancouver."

Old
09-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I disagree with this statement. I think there is very clearly two schools of thought on his trade value. 1. if VAN wants something like Kadri + 1st, they are going to have to take back a bad contract. 2. If VAN wants cap relief, Lu's trade value is not top prospect + 1st rd pick (especially likely high 1st, if TOR is involved).

That is great if you are willing to commit to so much cap space in goal for next year - probably won't affect your team too much, and VAN will likely have another stellar season. But, that can't be a long-term strategy - too many cooks in the kitchen, too much money tied up in a position only one player can play per game. What it ultimately leads too (as VAN fans should know better than anyone) is "OMG Goalie X had a bad game, but Goalie Y is on fire - Goalie Y should be our starter, even though Goalie X is one year removed from being a Vezina finalist and got us to the Cup finals! I think the odds are better than even that tide turns on Schneider at some point this/next season (whenever the heck they play) if Lu is playing solid when he gets his chances to play.
We are not opposed to taking back a bad contract provided the following occurs:
  1. That contract is not Mike Komisarek.
  2. We actually receive value. (Kadri+1st is value, btw)

The post I just quoted is basically saying Kadri for Luongo straight up because Lombardi is not worth anything to us. Some even think Kadri is too much. So how exactly have we been given anything of value in the vast majority of Luongo threads?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:59 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:

Alex Petrovic, WHL Defenceman of the Year due to playing in all situations and eating up minutes against the tough opposition while also putting up strong point totals.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Alex Petrovic, WHL Defenceman of the Year due to playing in all situations and eating up minutes against the tough opposition while also putting up strong point totals.
Jesse Blacker, #1 defenceman on OHL and Memorial Cup Championship winning team.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Blacker had a very good season in the AHL on a team that made it to the finals.

His pedigree is on par with Petrovic.

Stats reflect similar production, to go along with skill and potential.
Similar production, yes. The rest perhaps if you have viewings of only one and not the other. I see your point though. Despite their stats, Petrovic is far more superior player physically and well known for his love and expression physically where Blacker is not. I personally think this is a huge difference between the two players playing style. Something your stats based analysis can not indicate. Because of this glaring difference in style of play I don't think these two are great comarables.

Blacker has shown great strides since draft day and really opened my eyes a lot. I will give you that. His initial draft pedigree was not at the same level as Petrovics though. He is developing his game at a very similar pace though.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Jesse Blacker, #1 defenceman on OHL and Memorial Cup Championship winning team.
Wasn't he third all-star in the OHL? Nothing to sneeze at, but doesn't exactly match Petrovic's achievement in the W, which is known for producing quality dmen.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

Good job with the links, but believe me, not needed. Everyone who follows the Leafs heard these rumours.

Closed Thread