HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCox17 View Post
I can understand that. But as someone who's been a baseball fan going back to the early-1980s, I'm somewhat hopeful that the cycle can be broken at some point. We'll see.
You know what else can be broken?

Fans...

I was an NFL fan, until my team relocated. I quit caring, even when they gave the city a new one.
I was an NBA fan until I got to know the players on a personal level, then I quit caring about them and their sport.
I was a fan of Major League Baseball, until I realized the team I was a fan of wasn't named the Red Sox or Yankees, and therefore wasn't competing on equal footing.

I was a fan of the NHL. Now I don't know what I am to be totally honest. Spent about 20 minutes today daydreaming about a new video. Starts off exactly the same way as the "Who I Am" video, The camera pans up through my big pile of my NHL memorabilia, only to reveal that it is all on fire. My 20+ team jersey collection gets dumped on it for good measure.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
At first I don't understand why the Jackets stood with the owners. AFter all, we're a small market team which would greatly benefit from the revenue sharing the players want. We have the all-star game and stand to lose it. We need a decent season to remind fans that Blue Jackets hockey doesn't need to be all about the suck.

On the other hand, if McConnell turns his back on the owners right away, the players will feel emboldened. Right now we're in the "chicken" stage of negotiations. Both sides think whoever blinks first loses. Management probably feels that if they don't appear unanimous right out of the gate they'll strengthen the players hands. Maybe he got promises to make sure Columbus gets the next All-Star Game regardless of what happens if he stands pat. Maybe he just hates unions. It's impossible to know And while they're trying to 'win' we in stands lose.

For me OSU hockey and basketball will have to fill the gap until sanity returns to the world. Granted, the Johan can use a season of AHL hockey, so that's good, but nothing else about this is.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually TWO votes. One for how everyone really feels, and the other that gets released to the media to show solidarity and strengthen their position against the players union.

What DOES surprise me is that every other owner in the league is as stupid as ours when it comes to running a professional sports franchise.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

I find it interesting how different teams value their STH.

The Minnesota Wild announced they'll credit season-ticket holders for any canceled games, plus 10 percent interest on the dollar value for tickets on any lost games that can be applied toward future games or subsequent season renewals.

The Anaheim Ducks will pay 5 percent annual interest on ticket payments left with the team, Buffalo and Columbus 4 percent, and Calgary and Montreal 3 percent.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz26lqtUbPS

I believe all of these teams with the exception of Anaheim and the Jackets have a STH waiting list

Old
09-18-2012, 09:27 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

The game cancelations have begun. “@Aportzline: Puck-rakers: #CBJ has preseason game - Oct. 3 vs. #MapleLeafs canceled due to #NHLlockout http://t.co/f99AOGvP”

09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
The game cancelations have begun. “@Aportzline: Puck-rakers: #CBJ has preseason game - Oct. 3 vs. #MapleLeafs canceled due to #NHLlockout http://t.co/f99AOGvP”
I thought the league already announced that all September games were cancelled.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:01 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
I thought the league already announced that all September games were cancelled.
Not that I know of.

Some good news.

@Aportzline "Dispatch: Nationwide Realty Investors will reduce rent 50 percent for bars and restaurants beginning Oct. 1 to help during #NHLLockout"

Old
09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Not that I know of.

Some good news.

@Aportzline "Dispatch: Nationwide Realty Investors will reduce rent 50 percent for bars and restaurants beginning Oct. 1 to help during #NHLLockout"
Does anyone have an interest in doing an informal "restaurant of the week" type of arrangement if regular-season games start getting scrubbed? Rather than avoiding the Arena District during the lockout, it would be a way to put some cash back into the local restaurants who will be hurting.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

I'm so glad both sides are working 'round the clock to get a deal done. guess ill have to take an interest in Buckeye hockey (not really an OSU fan). I still will refuse to watch the NBA. And that's not a bad idea, MB, not sure how many ill be able to make it down to, but ill certainly try.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
What DOES surprise me is that every other owner in the league is as stupid as ours when it comes to running a professional sports franchise.
Let's not pretend that many of us here are qualified (if any), in any meaningful way, to run a sports franchise. To make statements like that just takes away from meaningful conclusions you do make.

I said a while back there are more than two sides to this. Regardless of where you sit on revenue sharing as an owner, you are very likely to believe that 57% of league wide revenue is pretty high. Especially when you consider other leagues and the fact that the contracts are guaranteed.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I'm so glad both sides are working 'round the clock to get a deal done.
It always goes like this. Time is the thing that will help someone blink.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:14 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's not pretend that many of us here are qualified (if any), in any meaningful way, to run a sports franchise. To make statements like that just takes away from meaningful conclusions you do make.

I said a while back there are more than two sides to this. Regardless of where you sit on revenue sharing as an owner, you are very likely to believe that 57% of league wide revenue is pretty high. Especially when you consider other leagues and the fact that the contracts are guaranteed.
Well, I actually DO run a business franchise and it's pretty tough to argue for the tremendous success of our current ownership. So I think I'm entitled to my opinion.

Your customers and your people are your two best assets, regardless of the type of business. This action is pissing both of them off. And for what purpose? The owners are just going to turn around and throw more money at the players, just as they've always done, under the new rules.

The problem is the owners have no discipline to balance their budgets and always want the players to bail them out.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Well, I actually DO run a business franchise and it's pretty tough to argue for the tremendous success of our current ownership. So I think I'm entitled to my opinion.
You already pointed out a distinction when you stated "running a business" from "sports franchise". Secondly, you stated it was a league wide issue with all owners.

While I would state that your ownership makes you a little more unique, comparing a franchise (A single Subway for example) has some principles the same but it sufficiently different to make the experience only moderately useful.

Lastly, pissing off a union is about the easiest thing in the damn world you can do. You be on the other side of the table with a bunch of pompous jackholes telling you that they "deserve" 57% of your revenue (regardless of profit). Pissing off your customers is an unhappy side effect of negotiating with a union. The "customers" for the teachers union in Chicago are the parents, most of them could give a rats ass about the parents and the issues associated with their strike. Should the city just cave and give the union what it wants to shut the parents up?

To make a suggest that because the owners don't want to give a 53% stake to the players with a gradual adjustment back to 57% in 4 years, they obviously don't care about their customers is ludicrous. Especially league wide. Even more so to suggest they don't know how to run a business, using customer satisfaction as the driving factor in that conclusion. Of course the owners don't want to piss off you or I. Most don't want to piss the players off either.

It's negotiations. It will happen when it happens.

Last edited by blahblah: 09-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old
09-19-2012, 06:10 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Now more games have been cancelled.

Quote:
The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012 pre-season schedule through September 30
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news...et_rid=1406712

Old
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
alphafox

Could the Blue Jackets prosper from the lockout?

I've been thinking about this for a while and while no one (myself included) wants to see another season lost to the lockout I was wondering if this could be a blessing in disguise for the blue jackets future. We often complain about prospect development and as a result of the lockout the organization will be forced to have players like Johan, Atkinson, Murray, and Erixon play major minutes in their proper roles in the AHL/Minors, rather than playing on the bottom six/pairing.

Additionally, we may also have better picks in the draft. We have the most balls of any team in a lottery and the Rangers and Kings picks could be much higher than they otherwise likely would be. (Barring losses of King Henrik or Quick respectively both teams look to go deep in the playoffs).

What do you guys think, could their be some benefit for the jackets during a lockout, or am I just looking for a silver lining in all the doom and gloom of the lockout.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
jacketsinDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while and while no one (myself included) wants to see another season lost to the lockout I was wondering if this could be a blessing in disguise for the blue jackets future. We often complain about prospect development and as a result of the lockout the organization will be forced to have players like Johan, Atkinson, Murray, and Erixon play major minutes in their proper roles in the AHL/Minors, rather than playing on the bottom six/pairing.

Additionally, we may also have better picks in the draft. We have the most balls of any team in a lottery and the Rangers and Kings picks could be much higher than they otherwise likely would be. (Barring losses of King Henrik or Quick respectively both teams look to go deep in the playoffs).

What do you guys think, could their be some benefit for the jackets during a lockout, or am I just looking for a silver lining in all the doom and gloom of the lockout.
I think you're right mainly for the development point. Realistically i think cbj gets a high draft pick even if the season was played... johansen seemed rushed last year. also i would rather not ever watch mason again.

is boll signed for one year or two?

Old
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
I think you're right mainly for the development point. Realistically i think cbj gets a high draft pick even if the season was played... johansen seemed rushed last year. also i would rather not ever watch mason again.

is boll signed for one year or two?
Two years

Old
09-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
It was like playing darts to pick a thread for my first post in months, as usual I saw "moved" all over the CBJ board even when there is no hockey to talk about...

That said, I guess the season is over until the NHL needs some cash for the Winter Classic eh...

To hell with the fans who enjoy NHL hockey in October, we all know the NFL gets the best USA TV ratings until December so why worry...

Is it now clear to all of the emotional CBJ fans that the Blue Jackets were hosed by the NHL and Mike Priest when the CBJ where given the All-Star game this year..?

The season should start around December 1st, the new Nationwide Jumbotron was a waste of tax payer money and I doubt there will be time for an All-Star game.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Love this piece. One, it's concise, direct and clear. Two, it echoes what I've been saying this lockout is about.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405623

Quote:
Yet the most important dynamic in the economics of hockey remains the very same as it was eight years ago: the enormous disparity between the NHL's wealthiest teams and its not-so-wealthy.
The point I quote below is also interesting, although I don't believe that, behind closed doors, it's this clear. Do all the owners feel this is the case?

Quote:
The NHL and its wealthier franchises certainly have a responsibility to support those teams in weaker markets, especially since those teams were born of the league's own vision for expanding the game.
And Naylor's final point, spot on, IMO:

Quote:
There are two groups of people that have done very well in the NHL's current economic system over the past seven seasons. There's the players, whose average salary is now at $2.4 million. And there's the upper tier of NHL owners who've pocketed tens of millions of dollars that otherwise would have gone to players.
The key to ending this lockout is determining how much each of those two groups is willing to contribute to the cause of teams that can't make it on their own.
Owners are willing to help ensure viable franchises in "growth" markets if they can do so by taking some cash "back" from the players.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Does anyone have an interest in doing an informal "restaurant of the week" type of arrangement if regular-season games start getting scrubbed? Rather than avoiding the Arena District during the lockout, it would be a way to put some cash back into the local restaurants who will be hurting.
I'm all for this. Been wanting a delicious burger from Rbar for a while now.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Love this piece. One, it's concise, direct and clear. Two, it echoes what I've been saying this lockout is about.
So what conclusion are you drawing? Is 57% too high, too low, with "enhanced" revenue sharing? Do you think that 53-57% range is going to be a road block even with additional revenue sharing? How does guaranteed contracts play into these negotiations and numbers?

What I find interesting is that the player feel they have a right to that operational income from the large market teams. At least the smaller market teams do, so they can, ultimately, pass that along to the players.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Id like to see if they could get Springfield to play some games here. Would that even be allowed?

Old
09-20-2012, 10:28 AM
CalBuckeyeRob

I think the players have as good of a strategy as they can find though history to hold out long term is not on their side. Here is a salary breakdown by teams in the NHL for 2011-12.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

The players know they will not be able to bargain away the cap. They also know that the top end salary teams could spend more if permitted to do so. The best solution is to make those top end teams transfer the dollars they can't use to the low end revenue teams so they can use it. If the bottom 10 teams increase payroll by $10,000,000 each they collectively got an extra $100,000,000. And if the big market revenue grows faster, the money spent by the small market teams can increase too with the revenue sharing.

It also has the effect of giving them some advocates on the owner's side at the bargaining table and among the fans of these small market teams.

Sadly, these leagues tend to do the the bidding of the big revenue teams so I am not optimistic that Columbus will be in a much better position as it relates to Toronto, Philly and the Rangers when this is done.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Id like to see if they could get Springfield to play some games here. Would that even be allowed?
They had one game here during the last lockout.

09-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Crede777
Deputized

If they do have the Falcons here, it should only be for like 1 game. AHL fans deserve to benefit from the lockout by seeing some high tier players like Johansen while they are down there.

It is one of the few upsides a lockout has, rewarding fans for being loyal to a non-NHL pro team.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405623
Great story and post.

Closed Thread