HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Its stupid comments, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are the types who are so happy to play for Russia, except IIHF suspensions carry over to the Olympics.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:24 AM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Its stupid comments, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are the types who are so happy to play for Russia, except IIHF suspensions carry over to the Olympics.
the iihf didnt stop Radulov from playing in the wc or the olympics

Old
09-19-2012, 04:25 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
the iihf didnt stop Radulov from playing in the wc or the olympics
Because the agreement wasn't in place when he went to the KHL.

Pavel Lysenkov thinks Datsyuk will go to CSKA or Dynamo.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Because the agreement wasn't in place when he went to the KHL.

Pavel Lysenkov thinks Datsyuk will go to CSKA or Dynamo.
And Allhockey.ru says that Pavel signed with Ak Bars, despite all previously told stuff. Waiting for the official announcements...

As for agreement... did IIHF do anything to Prokhorkin who signed with LA having a KHL contract?

As for AO, I'm happy he's back to his home team for the lockout. Playing in big ice will help him.

As for his words about moving permanently... I'm sure he doesn't want it, but he can't be fond of the idea to cut $25M of his contract.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:48 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Except there's something called the IIHF which makes such a threat pretty much a non-starter. In any event the rollback fears are pretty unwarranted IMO. The players will eat it via escrow most likely. It's a rollback by another name but...still. Not uncharted territory, just more of it.
I have half a mind to do the actual math later, but it seems to me that, since teams don't seem to be sending as close to the cap this year, they might not end up giving up more than they would have in a worst-case-scenario under the old system (since they usually don't lose all their escrow money).

Old
09-19-2012, 07:39 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Doom.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:40 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Ok, did some capgeek-ing and some calculations.

Using the revenue projection that established the 70 mil cap, with 57% being roughly 62 mil (the cap midpoint). Then 50% is roughly 54 mil, 43% is roughly 47 mil (on a per-team basis obviously).

Teams are currently spending on average about 59 mil in salary this season, bump it closer to 60 mil once guys like O'Reilly, Benn, Subban etc. are signed.

Does anyone know exactly what % of their salaries players put in escrow? Assuming its 5%, that bumps projected average salary down to 57 mil or so. Based the above projections that's about 52% of revenues.

So if the owners decided to go down in steps and would give the players 52-53% of revenues this season, the players wouldn't likely end up losing any more than they would have planned to via escrow (it would just be worst-case scenario rather than business as usual).

Now this is assuming the teams that are currently below the floor are either allowed to stay there (If the midpoint gets lowered to 54 mil, the floor would be like 38 mil so they'd be fine) or get to the floor via trades so that the league impact is salary-neutral. Might also have over- or underestimated some RFA salaries but whatever.

And of course I don't know how LTIR guys are dealt with for escrow... do they have to pay into it? Do they count for the % of revenues given to the players? Regardless, just a quick and dirty look at it. If the players play it right they could probably come up with a proposal that doesn't hurt too bad while still being palatable to the owners.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
G3 LesPaul

I hate athletes. I need 9 million. 5 million isn't enough.

Good ridence. Hope they leave

Old
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Doom.
Kaboom

Old
09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Didn't Ovechkin get a huge, like almost $100M, endorsement deal a couple of years ago? Maybe I'm making that up, but if not his $9.5M each year should be relatively unimportant to him. I legitimately don't know what someone could spend that much money on. (I don't mean that as a criticism of him, and I don't think either he or Kovalchuk is serious about leaving.)

Old
09-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Didn't Ovechkin get a huge, like almost $100M, endorsement deal a couple of years ago? Maybe I'm making that up, but if not his $9.5M each year should be relatively unimportant to him. I legitimately don't know what someone could spend that much money on. (I don't mean that as a criticism of him, and I don't think either he or Kovalchuk is serious about leaving.)
I guess this has more to do with pride than poverty threat. Of course Ovie is already a very wealthy man.
However, it's never a problem to spend any money...

Old
09-19-2012, 09:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

With Ovi I wonder how much extra marketability (and hence extra potential endorsement money) he gains from playing in the NHL vs. the KHL. Because the tax difference is pretty significant.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Does anyone know exactly what % of their salaries players put in escrow? Assuming its 5%, that bumps projected average salary down to 57 mil or so. Based the above projections that's about 52% of revenues.
It varies, even within a season, but IINM it's been as low as 8% withheld to as much as 25% based on shifting projections. It probably wouldn't up being worse than it has at times previously it's just that, as you said, most of the time the players eventually received most of it back. They did lose 12.9% in '08-09 and likely upwards of 9.4% the following season but otherwise it's been less than 5% once the numbers are in and refunds paid out.

I'm pretty sure LTIR players count as player expenditures. Massively front-loaded deals also make expenditures larger than cumulative cap hits. The longer it takes for the lockout to end the more conservative I'd expect the league's revenue projections and the more escrow to be withheld under the existing framework (assuming it's retained). In the past the player's share changed based on total revenue brackets and I would think the NHLPA will fight to keep that upshot in place.

To clarify: Ovechkin to Dynamo and Datsyuk to CSKA.

As for Prokhorkhin I don't know...has CSKA disputed the transfer?

Old
09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I used team salaries rather than team cap hits, so frontloading is taken into account. I think those include signing bonuses though. I left LTIR players in for those calculations so that wouldn't change anything.

If players are used to giving up more than 5% via escrow, though, that means that getting down to a 50% split via escrow probably wouldn't be too tough. They just won't get as much back as they're used to, unless growth is higher than expected.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

@SlavaMalamud
"If our salaries get slashed, I'll have to think about whether to return to NHL. Won't rule out staying in RUS past this season" - Ovi #Caps

Old
09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wouldn't those under contract be prevented from playing in the KHL once play resumed? I thought that agreement was in place finally.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

It's definitely just a negotiating ploy.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I don't really know much of anything about the agreement, but it wouldn't be much of a negotiating ploy if he couldn't do it. Doesn't add up, which means I'm missing information.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Even if the agreement is in place the way we think it is he might figure they'll find a loophole by the time Sochi rolls around (assuming he's seriously considering it).

Old
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I hate athletes. I need 9 million. 5 million isn't enough.

Good ridence. Hope they leave
I could find 5 billion people who'd think you are tremendously overpaid and kill to be half as well off as you.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I could find 5 billion people who'd think you are tremendously overpaid and kill to be half as well off as you.
Exactly. It is all relative...

Old
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

So sick of people spouting off "well he makes so much $$, he should take his ****-sandwhich and like it". Buncha sad, jealous asswipes.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

So sick of people spouting off "well he makes so much $$, he should take his ****-sandwhich and like it". Buncha sad, jealous asswipes.
Poor, jealous people in life....lots of em...

Old
09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Baltimore Hockey Classic and all September pre-season games cancelled:
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641878

Old
09-19-2012, 05:05 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Baltimore Hockey Classic and all September pre-season games cancelled:
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641878
meh. while I don't care about preseason, the baltimore game is another example of how nhl hockey is gaining popularity. way to nip that in the bud.

Closed Thread