HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Stanley Cup if There's a Lockout

Old
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
htpwn

vCash: 500
From the article:
Quote:
"The Stanley Cup should be awarded to the top National Hockey League team, which has been determined to be the top league in the world...
If a league doesn't play for a year, can it really be considered the top league in the world during that year?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
From the article:

If a league doesn't play for a year, can it really be considered the top league in the world during that year?
Also, who determined it? I too think the NHL is the best, but they have never faced the top Euro league's champ to actually prove it.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Also, who determined it? I too think the NHL is the best, but they have never faced the top Euro league's champ to actually prove it.
And why should they demean themselves to prove it.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
From the article:

The league still exists. If you put something a way in a closet and don't look at for a year, does it cease to exist?

Old
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Seems the Allen actually goes way way back to like 1909 or thereabouts
True, it was donated a couple of months after the last amateur teams dropped out of the ECAH (soon to turn into the NHL) in November 1908. The amateurs needed a new championship trophy now that the top league had turned professional and the Stanley Cup was out of sight for them.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I fund a website which lists players by birth province/state:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/state...-12-stats.html

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/provi...-12-stats.html

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/natio...-12-stats.html

If the usual Hockey Canada zones were used, there would be five:

Pacific: BC/Alberta (133 players)
West: Manitoba/Sask/NW Ontario (85 from Man/Sask)
Ontario: all Ontario excluding NW Ontario (208 incl NWO)
Quebec: all Quebec (71 players)
Atlantic: Nfld/NS/NB/PEI (25 players)

Other than the Staals, I don't know off-hand how many NHLers are from NW Ontario

I had thought that 5 teams from Canada and 3 teams from the USA would work, with Europeans spicing up each roster, especially Atlantic.

But a case could be made for 4 Canadian zones, with Quebec/Atlantic merged.

Anyhow, these are all details. The concept of an all-star league would be amazingly cool and would be a fine substitute Stanley Cup.
That would be cool. Team West would win it.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

As it was made in England, we should ship it back over there to go to the EPIHL winner. Imagine the homecoming if the Sheffield Steelers won!

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I'd like to see a cup competition like they do in European footie leagues. Every single team in the country from top to bottom have a tournament to win the cup. Allow any team that wants to enter it and then have single elimination playoffs til the finals.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I thought of that as well, and did some checking. Seems the Allen actually goes way way back to like 1909 or thereabouts, it too like the Stanley Cup initially a "Challenge" format amongst the top Senior A teams. Unbroken chain ever since, including yer Cambridge Hornets & Hamilton Tigers who won it at various times. I doubt they'd want to replace it, if for even one Season with Lord Stanleys Mug....
Speaking of the Allen Cup, if the NHL were to ever somehow lose control of the Stanley Cup, the Stanley Cup would quickly lower to Allen Cup level significance.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:42 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Speaking of the Allen Cup, if the NHL were to ever somehow lose control of the Stanley Cup, the Stanley Cup would quickly lower to Allen Cup level significance.
Serioulsy, if the trustees decided to hold some huge tournament of North American amateur teams with the winner getting the Stanley Cup, would anyone really care? Would people go out and buy Stanley Cup Champs T-shirts that said, "Southern Ontario Beer Guzzlers, 2013 Stanley Cup Champs" on it?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
And why should they demean themselves to prove it.
It makes as much sense as having a "World Series" involving only American and Canadian teams is.

About time they challenged themselves against them. In pre-season would be great. Finnish, Swedish and Russian league winners in a round-robin group. Top two go through to the final.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
It makes as much sense as having a "World Series" involving only American and Canadian teams is.

About time they challenged themselves against them. In pre-season would be great. Finnish, Swedish and Russian league winners in a round-robin group. Top two go through to the final.
What would that prove? If I ran the NHL team, I certainly wouldn't be using my main line-up in a meaningless pre-season exhibition game. I'd be wanting them at their best for the real games once the actual season started.

And the World Series is just a name. Who cares? It's the championship for Major League Baseball which only has teams in Canada and the US. It's not saying that it's a world championship, it's just a name.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
This just shows who the trustees really answer too.

Personally, I think the NHLPA should form an all star league compete for the Cup if the lockout goes on too long. The NHL clearly does not own the Stanley Cup and their use of trademarks could be challenged in court. The original trustees were pretty clear about who should compete for the trophy when it was transferred over to the league in the 1950's. It was not exclusively the NHL's trophy if a rival NHL caliber league were to pop up. If the NHLPA sets up NHL caliber teams and plays a reasonable schedule the league really could not stop them from competing for the cup.

Last edited by silvercanuck: 09-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.
silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
What would that prove? If I ran the NHL team, I certainly wouldn't be using my main line-up in a meaningless pre-season exhibition game. I'd be wanting them at their best for the real games once the actual season started.

And the World Series is just a name. Who cares? It's the championship for Major League Baseball which only has teams in Canada and the US. It's not saying that it's a world championship, it's just a name.
You mean the meaningless pre-season exhibition games that in the past have seen teams play in Finland, Sweden and Germany against local sides? Teams that travel abroad always have a good break between their next game when they return as well so they have time to recover.

Calling it the World series just sounds arrogant to me.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

So, with games about to be cancelled this topic should be revitalized.

I doubt that an alternate competition using NHL players could be arranged for this season. But with next year being an Olympic season, I could easily see Hockey Canada arranging something.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
So, with games about to be cancelled this topic should be revitalized.

I doubt that an alternate competition using NHL players could be arranged for this season. But with next year being an Olympic season, I could easily see Hockey Canada arranging something.
As in having some sort of international tournament to crown the SC winner?

They will never allow a non-Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup. If they had to, they would absolutely not allow it to go to a non-North American team.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
goalieboy82

i hope there is no nhl season so all of this can be sorted out in court. i think lord stanley would be angry to see what has happen.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
madhi19

I say we buy some trophy for $42 and start this shiz all over again!

Last edited by madhi19: 11-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.
madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
You mean the meaningless pre-season exhibition games that in the past have seen teams play in Finland, Sweden and Germany against local sides? Teams that travel abroad always have a good break between their next game when they return as well so they have time to recover.

Calling it the World series just sounds arrogant to me.
OT, but when the first official "World Series" was played (1903), baseball was still almost exclusively a NA sport. Related to the English games of Rounders and Cricket sure, but baseball didn't start getting shown around the world until the late 1800's. Even then while abroad they primarily played cricket, while also demonstrating baseball. It was more a marketing slogan that stuck. World's Championship Series of Baseball. Its not like 50 years ago the MLB just started saying "Were the best league in the world so lets call it the World Series"

Sorry again for going off topic. Something for the baseball board.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:23 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

They could give it to a bunch of peewee players for all that I care, so long as they don't repeat putting mention on the Cup that it wasn't awarded because of owner/player stupidity.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
A tournament with all the minor league winners would be cool, AHL, ECHL, CHL, SPHL, FHL, etc.

Imagine if the Danbury Whalers pulled off the impossible and made it to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Or similarly a tournament of champions from the European leagues, though I highly doubt the trustees care about Europe.
I would love to see this Tournament idea. Would be cool if "assembled teams" could participate as well, such as the Team NY & Team Philly teams consisting of a mix of NHL players that played the charity game in Atlantic City for The Operation Hat Trick charity game.

If such a tourney were to take place, would "assembled teams" of NHL stars have a right to challenge for the cup or is there something preventing them from doing it?

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Serioulsy, if the trustees decided to hold some huge tournament of North American amateur teams with the winner getting the Stanley Cup, would anyone really care? Would people go out and buy Stanley Cup Champs T-shirts that said, "Southern Ontario Beer Guzzlers, 2013 Stanley Cup Champs" on it?
It would still be cool to watch & would bring back a touch of the original spirit of the Cup. Better to have a SC champion than no champ at all, and "season not played" occupying another space :

I would prefer to see that happen this season, just so NHl player get to see someone else lift the cup while they sit on their hands waiting for bigger paychecks.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:08 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
A tournament with all the minor league winners would be cool, AHL, ECHL, CHL, SPHL, FHL, etc.

Imagine if the Danbury Whalers pulled off the impossible and made it to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Or similarly a tournament of champions from the European leagues, though I highly doubt the trustees care about Europe.
Maybe also the LNAH, although I bet there would need strict fighting regulations (although the league isn't as bad as it was in 2005, when there were 40 fights per game)

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
pdd

Quote:

There is no nation in the world than could put up a roster that could field a competitive lineup using players not already on MLB rosters. Not the US, not Japan, not any Caribbean nation, no other nation. None. It's unlikely that the NCAA All-Americans would be a challenging team compared to a top MLB team.

It's not a global championship in the sense that it's nation vs. nation, but it's as global as elite soccer in that there are elite team full of the world's best players. The only less global aspect is the more concentrated locations of the teams.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Would people go out and buy Stanley Cup Champs T-shirts that said, "Southern Ontario Beer Guzzlers, 2013 Stanley Cup Champs" on it?
First of all, I have never bought a Stanley Cup Champions t-shirt. I would make a point of buying the Southern Ontario Beer Guzzlers one, because I think it would be hilarious.

Second of all, I haven't read the whole thread, but people are talking about replacing the Memorial or Allen Cup with the Stanley Cup this season. I, like others in this thread, think that that's absurd and that we shouldn't be throwing other prestigious trophies under the bus like that.

That being said, the Memorial Cup is the top prize for Major Junior, and the Allen Cup is the top prize for Senior hockey. Why not have the Stanley Cup return to it's role as the top prize for amateur hockey, and have the Memorial and Allen Cup champions play each other in a seven game series? I'd even be okay with starting it off with a weird round robin with the RBC Cup champions. I'd watch a series between the Drakkar and Bentley Generals... Hell, I'd really make a point of going and buying a Stanley Cup Champions t-shirt if a Major Junior team won.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote