HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Skate Blade

Old
09-18-2012, 02:50 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

vCash: 500
Broken Skate Blade

So, yesterday I discovered that one of my skates has a nice, full crack in it. I saw some skate threads, but really nothing for this.

They're Nike Bauer Supreme 50s with Tuuk Custom Plus holders and runners. I've been trying to figure a way to simply replace the Tuuks, but I'm not sure how I would go about removing the current ones and installing new ones. Is it possible or do I have to buy and break in a whole new set of skates?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As old as those skates are and the quality level, you're better off buying new ones. You can probably get a pair of new Tuuks/blades installed for $100-125 but I'd have to think your boots have gone fairly soft by now.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM
AIREAYE

Jarick's right. For one, it would make better sense to buy a new pair. You would be better off sticking to the Custom+ as the LS2 system needs different steel and needs to have new holes drilled into the outsole. It's still in production, but it's getting harder and harder to find C+ holders/steel nowadays since Bauer hasn't used that combo for a few years now.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Well, not exactly the answers I was hoping for. I've had these for about 5 years, but the boots seem fine to me. Kind of sucks tossing them just because of a broken blade.

There's not really a lot of options near me for trying skates on, are the new Bauer skates sized the same as the Nike Bauers?

Old
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
AIREAYE

Well if you really like the boot, you'll have to seek out a pair of appropriately sized C+ runners. You shouldn't replace just one because of the height difference.

A pair of C+ runners might be around $50-70

Old
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
RKB9

Is the steel cracked or the holder? It's around $60 for new steel if you don't want to buy new skates. I wouldn't waste my money replacing the tuuks and steel though.

RKB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:44 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
but it's getting harder and harder to find C+ holders/steel nowadays since Bauer hasn't used that combo for a few years now.
Bauer has all sizes of C+ holders and steel in stock right now. So getting replacements should be no problem if he wants them.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
AIREAYE

Oh, nvm then.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:21 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross9 View Post
Is the steel cracked or the holder? It's around $60 for new steel if you don't want to buy new skates. I wouldn't waste my money replacing the tuuks and steel though.
Just the steel. Is it easy to pop them out and put new ones in?

Old
09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
RKB9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Just the steel. Is it easy to pop them out and put new ones in?
I'm not sure, the pro shop at your lhs should do it for free if you buy the steel there.

RKB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
jsykes

You should be able to replace just the steel. It is available through Bauer. If they were stock on your skates, then hopefully there are holes drilled in the boot to allow access to the mounting bolts. If they were added or there are no holes drilled, the holders will have to be dismounted from the boots in order to change the steel.

But it is possible and any LHS that deals with this kind of repair work should be able to help you out.

And Aireaye, I wasnt trying to contradict you or throw you under the bus, just trying to inform everyone because there seems to be a misconception that these are impossible to get right now, yet Bauer does have them in stock in all sizes...for the time being anyway.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
AIREAYE

jsykes, no offence taken whatsoever haha

Now that you mention it, I believe I remember a conversation you had over at MSH over the exact same issue of C+ availability. That didn't occur to me at the time of the first post and I apologize to all for false information and thank you for the correction!

As an aside, why do they still make these things? No current models have them anymore. This seems like a case of excess supply to me.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
jsykes

In all honesty, I dont know why, but I wouldnt be surprised if its still because of the demand in the pros. There are still a lot of pros skating on them, and if they're making at least a small portion for the pros, why not make some extras for the regular market.

Its likely why they come and go at times and it seems like they're out of stock and gone for good, then all of a sudden, you're searching their dealer site and find that they've completely resupplied them.

I'm not surprised by the confusion and there are probably dealers that dont even know because if you're not looking for them you wouldnt even know they were back in stock. Now they arent even in the same place that LS2 holders are, so if you're looking for those you wont even see C+ (which is how I first stumbled on it).

Anyway, you werent really wrong in saying they're hard to find because not many have them or know, but Bauer does seem to have them for now, who knows how long that will last though is like JR said over there, its likely the last time they'll be resupplied.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross9 View Post
I'm not sure, the pro shop at your lhs should do it for free if you buy the steel there.
Yes this happened with my Grafs. On one of my skates the front vertical part of the steel that connects it to the holder someone how got rusted and just snapped on me one day, leaving the blade wobbly in my skate. I figured out how to take them apart but couldn't get the rusted piece out, I was worried I'd have to replace the holder too but when I brought it to my local hockey shop they did that for free and all I had to buy was two new steels for $60 or so.

Just phone ahead to make sure they have the right ones for your skates.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
DohBruins

Don't buy new skates, it's easily replaced at any pro shop, probably cheap, maybe free.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
In all honesty, I dont know why, but I wouldnt be surprised if its still because of the demand in the pros. There are still a lot of pros skating on them, and if they're making at least a small portion for the pros, why not make some extras for the regular market.

Its likely why they come and go at times and it seems like they're out of stock and gone for good, then all of a sudden, you're searching their dealer site and find that they've completely resupplied them.

I'm not surprised by the confusion and there are probably dealers that dont even know because if you're not looking for them you wouldnt even know they were back in stock. Now they arent even in the same place that LS2 holders are, so if you're looking for those you wont even see C+ (which is how I first stumbled on it).

Anyway, you werent really wrong in saying they're hard to find because not many have them or know, but Bauer does seem to have them for now, who knows how long that will last though is like JR said over there, its likely the last time they'll be resupplied.
We still have a lot of them at my workplace; but it'll get harder and harder to sell at the retail level. Especially the JR sized holders. It simply will never be worth it for the vast majority of people. Step Steel at the same price as Custom+ pretty much kills the C+ steel right there.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:28 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Okay, I'll call around to see if anyone around here can replace the steel for me.

Thanks guys.