HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospect/Marlies Thread Part X: We Are Looking Stacked

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Lebanese Leaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
So is it a matter of fact that the leafs won`t send Scrivs down for the marlies due to the risk of being claimed? If that is the case, then that's a big blow for the team.
Best case scenario IMO. Everyone will see why I think Mark Owuya is the future #1G of this team.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Best case scenario IMO. Everyone will see why I think Mark Owuya is the future #1G of this team.
A little too early to pencil him in as #1 for me. But i have high hopes and really think he's going to be a great goalie in the NHL.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I agree, I've said on numerous occasions that when the dust settles, Owuya will end up being the best goalie to come out of this group (Reimer, Scrivens, Owuya, Rynnas). The guy has had absolutely fantastic numbers everywhere he's played.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
What sort of blockbusters would you propose? The kind that brings in talent that is about to make the jump (for example, Huberdeau), or the kind that brings back a player like Getzlaf?

I agree that the nucleus has to shift, but I don't know to what extent.
I can see things happening on the horizon, whether Burke wants to use some of his assets to get things done is the question.

I would rate Phaneuf, JVR, Reimer, Percy, Biggs, Rielly, or Finn as closest to the untouchable category.

Blacker, Holzer, Ross, Mckegg, D'amigo, Ryan, Deschamp, I would dangle. Have secondary prospect value. Not unlike what NY gave up for Nash.

Ashton, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin are close. Wouldn't make too much sense to trade a young good NHL prospect unless you are getting an elite player(s) back.

So the guys that are most movable are core pieces, Kessel, Bozie, Lupul, Grabo, Kule, secondary core players Mac, Liles, Gunnar.

Connolly, Komi, Brown, and Lombardi will bring back a bag of pucks, if we are lucky a 3rd rd pick but most likely a 4th and lower. Franson, I don't know what his value is, a 3rd rd pick?

With many of our prospects on the cusp of making the team in 13-14 and boosting the support role depth and key roles on the D, it looks like a busy year for Burke.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Hawaiinleaf

No way Ross gets dealt

Mgmt is giddy about having another Tucker, but this time from the beginning

Old
09-19-2012, 07:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I can see things happening on the horizon, whether Burke wants to use some of his assets to get things done is the question.

I would rate Phaneuf, JVR, Reimer, Percy, Biggs, Rielly, or Finn as closest to the untouchable category.

Blacker, Holzer, Ross, Mckegg, D'amigo, Ryan, Deschamp, I would dangle. Have secondary prospect value. Not unlike what NY gave up for Nash.

Ashton, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin are close. Wouldn't make too much sense to trade a young good NHL prospect unless you are getting an elite player(s) back.

So the guys that are most movable are core pieces, Kessel, Bozie, Lupul, Grabo, Kule, secondary core players Mac, Liles, Gunnar.

Connolly, Komi, Brown, and Lombardi will bring back a bag of pucks, if we are lucky a 3rd rd pick but most likely a 4th and lower. Franson, I don't know what his value is, a 3rd rd pick?

With many of our prospects on the cusp of making the team in 13-14 and boosting the support role depth and key roles on the D, it looks like a busy year for Burke.
One of the worst teams in the league for about 4 years straight.

I'd say this is the list of untouchables:

Next the tradeables:

Toronto Maple Leafs.

When your team is one of the bottom feeders you can move just about anyone.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
One of the worst teams in the league for about 4 years straight.

I'd say this is the list of untouchables:

Next the tradeables:

Toronto Maple Leafs.

When your team is one of the bottom feeders you can move just about anyone.
So you are saying Taylor Hall or John Tavares are also up for grabs?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
So you are saying Taylor Hall or John Tavares are also up for grabs?
Yep.

Okay, I acknowledge this is Hockeysfuture and winning is something to fear and reject.

But who are the Leafs' Tavares and Hall?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yep.

Okay, I acknowledge this is Hockeysfuture and winning is something to fear and reject.

But who are the Leafs' Tavares and Hall?
Just checking. Some people don't seem to want to admit to certain core or even untouchable players but then turn around and say X player from an equally sucky team is untouchable.

At least you are consistent.

Kessel maybe? 6th best scorer in the league last year and he's still not considered a core or untouchable-esque player?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just checking. Some people don't seem to want to admit to certain core or even untouchable players but then turn around and say X player from an equally sucky team is untouchable.

Kessel maybe? 6th best scorer in the league last year and he's still not considered a core or untouchable-esque player?
Kessel is obvious.

For Kessel this is my fantasy, a Stevie Y tranformation.

THAT puts him into the untouchables category.

I don't see why he can't do that if he wants it. Otherwise, he'll continue to be an offensive star, without a lot of substance. I'd take Toews less impressive stats.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Biggs is now listed at 6'3", 224 pounds on the Generals' website. BTW, he scored 3 goals in preseason

Toninato's first USHL preseason is today (plays for Fargo)

Old
09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:

I am so happy you didn't include frattin as an untouchable, so many posters were putting him on the untouchable's list, which was very annoying, I still couldn't frattin was playing over kadri, nothing against the kid but he didn't deserve a chance over kadri.
plus I think when kadri has his breakout season, he will be untouchable, kessel, lupul, grabo, are also untouchable maybe JVR
as terms of prospects, reilly, kadri [very soon, biggs, ross, blacker, finn, should be untouchable

Old
09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
I am so happy you didn't include frattin as an untouchable, so many posters were putting him on the untouchable's list, which was very annoying, I still couldn't frattin was playing over kadri, nothing against the kid but he didn't deserve a chance over kadri.
plus I think when kadri has his breakout season, he will be untouchable, kessel, lupul, grabo, are also untouchable maybe JVR
as terms of prospects, reilly, kadri [very soon, biggs, ross, blacker, finn, should be untouchable
I like Frattin but he isn't a deal breaker, Rielly, Finn, Biggs, and Percy of our junior prospects are the only ones I would place in this elite group.

You can't trade a hamburger for a steak, to me its not giving up on players like Kessel, Lupul, Grabo but reshaping the core nucleus of the team. No one can make a case the core has got the job done. Thus no one can disagree moves are needed. Not Lebda, Franson, Beauchemin type moves.

For this team to move fwd we need to address the leadership component and talent of the core of this team.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
KlattNazty

Dont get me wrong, I like the looks of Percy and Finn but I do not consider either of them untouchable.

The key is that most players should be avaialble depending on what is coming back.

The Leafs biggest needs are big bodied, leaders, with two way prowess and playmaking skills up front. And on the back end, high end shutdown talent, minute munching defenseman, with above average mobility to play with Dion.

And a goalie, or if Reimer develops then we are fine.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Dont get me wrong, I like the looks of Percy and Finn but I do not consider either of them untouchable.

The key is that most players should be avaialble depending on what is coming back.

The Leafs biggest needs are big bodied, leaders, with two way prowess and playmaking skills up front. And on the back end, high end shutdown talent, minute munching defenseman, with above average mobility to play with Dion.

And a goalie, or if Reimer develops then we are fine.
It's probably premature to place Finn in the untouchable catagory this soon, but I wouldn't be suprrised after this season he will be. Rielly is there at the moment IMO, it would take a huge offer for me to entertain the thought of including him in a deal.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Biggs is now listed at 6'3", 224 pounds on the Generals' website. BTW, he scored 3 goals in preseason

Toninato's first USHL preseason is today (plays for Fargo)
Good grief, he's a manchild. He was listed at what, 6'2" 210 lbs for the draft?

Old
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's because he only plays in one zone, and no matter how many Goals he scores the opposition will score more while he's on the ice.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Good grief, he's a manchild. He was listed at what, 6'2" 210 lbs for the draft?
Check those biceps..

Old
09-19-2012, 03:21 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
Check those biceps..

Biceps / triceps has very little to do with hockey. You need core strength, leg strength, and upper body. The arms aren't as useful in hockey as other parts of the body are (legs, core, etc.)

09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
That's because he only plays in one zone, and no matter how many Goals he scores the opposition will score more while he's on the ice.
Hilarious. Not only does he have to continue scoring at an elite rate, but now he has to be the lines defensive anchor. Have you ever watched other elite scorers play before, or do you pretend every other top flight scorer is their lines defensive conscience?

Who are Ovechkin and Kovalchuk usually covering - the goalie? Bure was also great at covering the goalie pass.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Having Devane on the 4th line as a physical contributor and Broll on way up, coupled with Biggs 2/3 line and Ross 3/4 line is going to change this teams character over night.

One position that jumps out in need of character and size is on D. We don't have a prospect on D thats big and mean and has the ability to make the team in 2 years. Perhaps one of our multitude of Offensive D prospects Finn,Percy,blacker could be dealt for a defensive prospect with size thats got a chance to make the team

Old
09-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Biceps / triceps has very little to do with hockey. You need core strength, leg strength, and upper body. The arms aren't as useful in hockey as other parts of the body are (legs, core, etc.)
Didn't know I said it had to do with hockey, was just showing off his manchild-ness.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Having Devane on the 4th line as a physical contributor and Broll on way up, coupled with Biggs 2/3 line and Ross 3/4 line is going to change this teams character over night.

One position that jumps out in need of character and size is on D. We don't have a prospect on D thats big and mean and has the ability to make the team in 2 years. Perhaps one of our multitude of Offensive D prospects Finn,Percy,blacker could be dealt for a defensive prospect with size thats got a chance to make the team
Thought about this.

Two guys I think would be perfect fits here, yet impossible to pry one nevermind both haha would be FLA's Gudbranson and Bjugstad.

Two big boys and both pretty tough. Both have above average mobility in general, nevermind for their size.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:04 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

Blacker,Holzer, Ross,Mckegg, D'amigo, Ryan, Deschamp, I would dangle. Have secondary prospect value. Not unlike what NY gave up for Nash.

Bolded has you not even making sense in your own post.

GET REAL. Blacker is far and away a better defender than both Percy and Finn. They have proved NOTHING to this point. Percy can at least say he held his own in the AHL playoffs last year, though it's not like he lit the world on fire.

Holzer will provide our team with depth, and be a solid bottom pairing defender. Can either of Percy or Finn say that? I'll wait.....

Bottom line: Percy has had multiple head injuries, and who even knows if he will make an NHL career out of his game. Finn was drafted all of 3 months ago, and is an inexperienced 18 year old. Neither of them is anywhere close to Blacker on the learning curve. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

God, quit being such a homer for your little darlings.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Bolded has you not even making sense in your own post.

GET REAL. Blacker is far and away a better defender than both Percy and Finn. They have proved NOTHING to this point. Percy can at least say he held his own in the AHL playoffs last year, though it's not like he lit the world on fire.

Holzer will provide our team with depth, and be a solid bottom pairing defender. Can either of Percy or Finn say that? I'll wait.....

Bottom line: Percy has had multiple head injuries, and who even knows if he will make an NHL career out of his game. Finn was drafted all of 3 months ago, and is an inexperienced 18 year old. Neither of them is anywhere close to Blacker on the learning curve. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

God, quit being such a homer for your little darlings.
Blacker is 3 years older than Finn, he should be ahead in his development as a player at the moment. I don't think you factored that into your analysis. Why are you measuring them at this point. As a scout or hockey GM you always try to project a player as a finished product 2 or 3 years after they are drafted.

Finn will show this year, his progression as a player last season was legitimate, I don't see a difference in him with players like Matta, Koekkoek, or Ceci, selected ahead of him in terms of being an effective D man in the NHL. That's how I am projecting him, not to Blacker right now, he is ahead of Blacker was at the same points of their careers. Not sure why you see Blacker as this savior, from what I have seen, he will not be a top pairing D man, he may slip into the top 4, but he is more apt to be a 5 guy. The guy can skate, he has some jam, he's fairly aggressive, but he does not possess the hockey IQ of Finn, Percy, he certainly doesn't have the package of Reilly of skill and smarts. So I just don't know where you see all this talent. Sort of like when I wondered where you saw all that talent in Grigorenko before the draft, and certainly after the draft when he was invisable again in another high profile tournament.

Closed Thread