HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First game

Old
09-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
First game

Ive got my first game tonight. Any tips or tricks or unwritten rules I should be aware of? Other than things like don't take long shifts? What else should I expect?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
ean

vCash: 500
Be a good teammate, respect the refs, and go have fun.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:23 PM
thrillhouse99

Tell everyone you played "semi pro" before and refer to yourself as "the biloxi sniping assassin".

Everyone will love it

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
hyster110

in warmups, shoot for the goalie, not just wildly. you want to let him feel the puck and get into a groove

playing - short shifts are the best, especially when you whole team is doing it. but dont over do it. you paid your money and have just as much right to be out on the ice

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Remember that at the end of the period, the bench switches sides (defense/offense).

Watch your teammates and follow their lead with line changes. If you notice that you're out there with people you're not usually with, you probably needed to change a little while ago.

Do your best, have fun, talk to your teammates.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
in warmups, shoot for the goalie, not just wildly. you want to let him feel the puck and get into a groove

playing - short shifts are the best, especially when you whole team is doing it. but dont over do it. you paid your money and have just as much right to be out on the ice
This 100x over. I HATE it when I see my teammates ripping shots bar down from the high slot when the goalie is trying to warm up.

Shoot at/near his pads when he's between the pipes to warm him up, shoot at the posts/back bar/corners when he's not in the net to warm yourself up.

1Knee1T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Ive got my first game tonight. Any tips or tricks or unwritten rules I should be aware of? Other than things like don't take long shifts? What else should I expect?
Have fun tonight; you should have a blast for sure! A some things to keep in mind for tonight:

1. Bring an extra stick
2. Bring a water bottle (maybe two)
3. When you are coming off the ice from your shift; use the door that is nearest what position you are playing (defense or offense)(or unless you are playing on the North rink, then there is only one door per bench).
4. Use the door for coming off the ice and go over the boards when getting onto the ice.
5. Keep your shifts short
6. Use the boards to clear the puck
7. You can use icing to your advantage since it's beer league/rec hockey.
8. Keep your head up

Hope that you have a great time! What division are you playing in?

Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 09-19-2012 at 09:48 PM.
SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Have fun tonight; you should have a blast for sure! A some things to keep in mind for tonight:

1. Bring an extra stick
2. Bring a water bottle (maybe two)
3. When you are coming off the ice from your shift; use the door that is nearest what position you are playing (defense or offense)(or unless you are playing on the North rink, then there is only one door per bench).
4. Use the door for coming off the ice and go over the boards when getting onto the ice.
5. Keep your shifts short
6. Use the boards to clear the puck
7. You can use icing to your advantage since it's beer league/rec hockey.
8. Keep your head up

Hope that you have a great time! What division are you playing in?
Decided to jump right in to EEEE after finishing the beginners hockey class. Thanks for the rink specific tips, I'm on the center sheet so there should be two doors.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
This 100x over. I HATE it when I see my teammates ripping shots bar down from the high slot when the goalie is trying to warm up.

Shoot at/near his pads when he's between the pipes to warm him up, shoot at the posts/back bar/corners when he's not in the net to warm yourself up.
Ditto!
I'm not a goalie but it drives me insane when players don't warm up the goalie, straight away start with dekes and heavy shots to get a nice goal!
It's a fupping warm-up!!

Bad time!

So how did your game go?
Learn anything?
Make any mistakes you'd not do next time?

ChrisNI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNI View Post
Ditto!
I'm not a goalie but it drives me insane when players don't warm up the goalie, straight away start with dekes and heavy shots to get a nice goal!
It's a fupping warm-up!!

Bad time!

So how did your game go?
Learn anything?
Make any mistakes you'd not do next time?
So, the game actually ended up pretty bad score wise, but I had a blast. I really tried to focus on a few things like positioning, being in a good spot to support for outlet passes and stopping on the puck. All in all I thought I had a good game. I created a shorthanded chance with a poke check at the point and had a break away later in the game but the goalie made a nice kick save. I absolutely whiffed on a cross crease pass with an open net though

Things I need to work on/know for next time:
I should have used the warm up time better, I was a little apprehensive about what to do and didnt get as loose as a should have. I also still really need to work on my positioning and when to help out on an open guy. I'd like to work on my shot more, and I need to figure out how to be better on zone entries.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
So, the game actually ended up pretty bad score wise, but I had a blast. I really tried to focus on a few things like positioning, being in a good spot to support for outlet passes and stopping on the puck. All in all I thought I had a good game. I created a shorthanded chance with a poke check at the point and had a break away later in the game but the goalie made a nice kick save. I absolutely whiffed on a cross crease pass with an open net though

Things I need to work on/know for next time:
I should have used the warm up time better, I was a little apprehensive about what to do and didnt get as loose as a should have. I also still really need to work on my positioning and when to help out on an open guy. I'd like to work on my shot more, and I need to figure out how to be better on zone entries.
in most leagues you only get 3-5 mins for a warm up, i usually come on the ice drop off my extra stick and then do a few quick laps at about 75-80% speed. it gets your heart rate pumping. then i like to shoot/blast a few pucks before the goalie is in the net. do a quick stretch (groins, hamstrings, quads are most important) . then i usually skip the semi circle shooting on the goalie and focus on stickhandliing an passing to my self on the boards in the nuetral zone.

everyone has their own routine but i find this works for me.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
DohBruins

Backcheck and stay conservative!

Goodluck!

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
in most leagues you only get 3-5 mins for a warm up, i usually come on the ice drop off my extra stick and then do a few quick laps at about 75-80% speed. it gets your heart rate pumping. then i like to shoot/blast a few pucks before the goalie is in the net. do a quick stretch (groins, hamstrings, quads are most important) . then i usually skip the semi circle shooting on the goalie and focus on stickhandliing an passing to my self on the boards in the nuetral zone.

Yeah the issue for me wasn't so much the time (4 was plenty). I just skated around for 90 seconds to loosen my legs and find my edges. After that i found myself watching to see what everyone else was doing. By the time I made a decision and took one shot, it was time to go. Now I have an idea of how I want to go about my warm up.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:36 PM
TatarTangle

As a goalie, I have to echo everyone suggesting shooting it at the goalie in warm-ups. If I notice someone coming in for a deke I don't even bother trying to save it and let them skate by me.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Trl3789

For the record, the one shot I did take during warm ups I made sure went into a leg pad.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

This is pretty much what I will do. Every now and then I'll do the shooting warm up, but for me I've found I play better once I get calibrated in my stick handling.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:04 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
Backcheck and stay conservative!

Goodluck!
Can you please define that word for me?

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't hardly ever skate in warmups...always grab a puck, get some blood to the hands, dial in the shot, that's about it. Skating in warmups to me wastes energy. Of course I'm fat and out of shape.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote