HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
  #476
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Agree with both of you about not being the first choice. Maybe there is more behind the scenes in the dressing room we all dont know about. I see Murphy as an A, would have prefered Fanelli with the C. He will be a mainstay through his OHL career. See him as the Dan Kelly without as much grit.
Thomson was my first choice but as others have said, we don't see what goes on, and how the players are, behind the scenes.

As far as Fanelli goes, I'll eat my hat if he comes close to being the d-man Kelly was. Right now Fanelli is OK but his best spot to be most effective is on the 3rd pairing this year. He struggles versus the big guns in this league. Schieffle had fun with him last Friday - but then, he does that with a lot of d-men.

Murphy, Iafrate, and McEneny are ahead of him on the depth chart right now. I have him and Hanes on the same page. Once Spott gives in and deals for a quality d-man to play with Murphy, Fanelli and Genovese would be a solid, safe third pairing that would see much more ice than our 3rd pairing did last year.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
  #477
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I suspect you meant that London "could" be the only team giving Kitchener some trouble this year!
Nah, he had it right the first time

It'll be fun to follow the 401 rivalry this year as both, along with Plymouth should all be in the mix for the conf crown.
Throw in a feisty OS team, and a Guelph team 1 yr older and their division is tough. ( as per usual)

aresknights is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
  #478
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Very well thought out post, and I like these lines for the most part. I would try and tinker with them a little bit, as I think a line of Puempel, Marcantuoni and Rieder may get pushed around a bit. In addition, Faksa is a strong player, but I fear we are asking too much centering him with Thomson and Sterk, as both those guys arent possession players, and Faksa would be responsible for the bulk of offensive generation.

I would pair the wingers as Rieder/Thomson and Puempel/Marcantuoni, and put Sterk between one, and Faksa between the other. preferably for myself as;

Rieder - Sterk - Thomson
Puempel - Faksa - Marcantuoni

Its a test for Sterk, if he can't play top 6 center with those two, then it's time to add one who can, or Audition the remaining players through to find out who can. maybe at that point try and switch Matia with Sterk, or break things up over three lines with Bailey or Czinder playing the opposite wing of Puempel or Rieder.

Theres alot of talent on the team, I think if there is one thing for certain, its that this is a team that will roll 4 lines without hestitation late in a game.

I agree with what you said about Faksa. He went through all that last year with Lorentz and Ming and he deserves better. I had Sterk on that 2nd line only because I was going with players currently on the roster. I'm still looking for a high end RWer to complete that line. Once that guy is in place, that top six rocks!!


Spott says that this will be a special year. He talks of this being a Memorial Cup season. If he is actually going to go for it, then he better be prepared to do what he has to do to get us there. As a top ten ranked team last year, he had an opportunity to put us over the top and failed to.

This year, we are going into the season with pretty much the same lineup except for the addition of Puempel, which is good, and the replacements for last year's OA's which is bad. In my books, this makes our team not as good as last year's so far. I will admit though that our depth players look better this year than last.

London and Plymouth aren't going to roll over and give us a birth to the final just because this is an anniversary year. If there were two rivals who would like nothing more than to bounce us early this post season, it's those two teams and they'll both be strong.

I agree with Ward Cornell who said that he sees 5 bodies who could be shipped out to acquire the high end talent we need to go on a run. If Spott is serious about going all the way this year and winning it all, then he can't worry about trading this guy or that guy because of how we'll look in the next couple of seasons. Therefore, guys like Pederson, Sterk, Gilbert, Palazzese and picks have to be discussed as trade bait.

I mean, what does Spott want to do? Win a championship or guarantee we are a competitive team next year. Sometimes, you have to sacrifice next year to go for it all this year (2008 anyone?). And considering we don't have a hell of a lot in the way of high end picks available to deal, the pieces going the other way are going to be youth off of this roster, like it or not.

Even Schmalz may have to be considered. I mean, if Marty Williamson wants Schmalz included in a deadline deal for Dougie Hamilton, do we do it? These are the types of things that Spott will be faces with at the deadline - just like he was last year when we could have had Austin Watson but Spott wouldn't go that extra mile.

The result? London got Watson and the rest is history.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
  #479
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Thomson was my first choice but as others have said, we don't see what goes on, and how the players are, behind the scenes.

As far as Fanelli goes, I'll eat my hat if he comes close to being the d-man Kelly was. Right now Fanelli is OK but his best spot to be most effective is on the 3rd pairing this year. He struggles versus the big guns in this league. Schieffle had fun with him last Friday - but then, he does that with a lot of d-men.

Murphy, Iafrate, and McEneny are ahead of him on the depth chart right now. I have him and Hanes on the same page. Once Spott gives in and deals for a quality d-man to play with Murphy, Fanelli and Genovese would be a solid, safe third pairing that would see much more ice than our 3rd pairing did last year.
Sorry I should have elaborated. I think Fanelli's work ethic and determination are in lines of what Kelly brought. Ben tries hard every shift and doesnt give up. His skill set and decision making is not on par. IMO that is how they compare, which I thought would make a good captain material.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 08:28 AM
  #480
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
I'm looking forward to seeing Fanelli this year. Last season was basically his rookie season, and was a very good rookie defenseman. If he'd been able to play his real first year and played the way he did last year, we'd all have been thrilled with him.

As for the C, Murphy wouldn't have been my choice but we don't see what goes on in the room. Spott hasn't made too many mistakes when it comes to naming the C, so I'm going to trust that he didn't just give it to the guy who is highly skilled and in his last year with the Rangers.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
  #481
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
NHL CS Prelim list

Bailey (A)
Pederson (C)
Sterk (C)


Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 09-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.
NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
  #482
RangerFan14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks Justin Bailey is a 4th line player, with all do respect doesn't know hockey. Bailey is ranked higher then Sterk and Pederson in central scouting rankings and will end up being a better player for the rangers then both of them. Also Brent Pederson did not prove anything to us last year. He is to soft going into the corners and didn't show us much of his talent last season. All Spott is going to use him for this year is trade bait!

RangerFan14 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
  #483
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan14 View Post
Anyone who thinks Justin Bailey is a 4th line player, with all do respect doesn't know hockey. Bailey is ranked higher then Sterk and Pederson in central scouting rankings and will end up being a better player for the rangers then both of them. Also Brent Pederson did not prove anything to us last year. He is to soft going into the corners and didn't show us much of his talent last season. All Spott is going to use him for this year is trade bait!
People are suggesting a lower line until he gets a few games in the OHL under his belt. Pretty sure everyone expects to see him in the top 6 by seasons end unless the add someone.

Pedersen has looked much better this preseason playing with Alberga and Czinder. Yes he is a bit timid, it'll come with time. Last year you could tell he wasnt comfortable with his size, something that kids who experience a growth spurt often experience.

I agree, he probably is trade bait, but if he is as you say, then why would anyone want him?

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
  #484
RangerFan14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
People are suggesting a lower line until he gets a few games in the OHL under his belt. Pretty sure everyone expects to see him in the top 6 by seasons end unless the add someone.

Pedersen has looked much better this preseason playing with Alberga and Czinder. Yes he is a bit timid, it'll come with time. Last year you could tell he wasnt comfortable with his size, something that kids who experience a growth spurt often experience.

I agree, he probably is trade bait, but if he is as you say, then why would anyone want him?
The reason I say he is not that good is because in my opinion he hasn't lived up to his potential. I'm not saying he isn't good but he isn't as great as people say he is and he wont be the main attraction in a trade, he will be a "we can throw this guy in to" type player. To say something good about pederson, I did make a mistake when i said ming would start over him! Also there is way too much love for Thompson. In my mind he is a solid 2nd liner. MM,Puempel and reider sounds like a solid 1st line.

RangerFan14 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 06:56 PM
  #485
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan14 View Post
The reason I say he is not that good is because in my opinion he hasn't lived up to his potential.

What potential really?

Pederson was ranked somewhere in the second round of the OHL draft. Spott was very high on him but the Rangers didn't have a second round pick to use on him. Spott was so high on him in fact, that he used our 1st rounder to get him because he felt he wouldn't be around to select in the 3rd round.

So any real potential should be that of a second round pick. The problem is that since he was our first round pick, and since Spott raved about how good this guy is/will be, that there has been much more expectation out of him by the fans. It's not his fault that he has to live up to being a 1st round pick, but it has become his burden.

That burden started last year in the playoffs. Due to injury, and lack of high end players on what was a high end team at the deadline, he was asked to play higher up in the forward group than he really should have been. He honestly couldn't lace the skates of Crescenzi and Randell on that line (the same can be said about Ming and Lorentz on Faksa'a line). He had the odd decent game but at the end of the day, it wasn't fair to ask him to suceed on that line. The one positive out of that is the experience he gained moving forward. The problem is, that experience didn't advance his game enough to have him ranked (by most posters) ahead of two forwards taken below him in the same draft (Sterk & Bailey).

Since that draft I have been looking at a few guys that were drafted after him and how there are doing. One in particular - Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo. The Record even had an article and interview with DeAngelo leading up to the draft about how the Rangers were interested in him and how much he'd like to come here. He is an exceptional talent. An offensive d-man in the mold of Ryan Murphy. Will he become as good? Who knows? All I know is that he impressed the heck out of me last year when he played us. I wondered why we didn't take him in the 1st round.

I compare Pederson to being the next version of Ben Thomson (a player we selected in the 7th round) minus the edge but with just a bit more upside. IMO, Pederson isn't an OHL first round talent. But he is a very good talent nonetheless and should bring good return if he's included in any deal.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
  #486
KnightRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
The big question about the Rangers season this year should be......
Will Spott be able to get it done? He has voiced that they are going for it this year, but he will be competing with the Knights and the Whalers for players who are available at the deadline. All 3 teams are pretty evenly matched right now. It could come down to who is the best negotiator at the deadline and who is willing to do what it takes to put their team over the top. If history has anything to do with how it will go, you have to bet on Hunter. His track record is second to none. Last year, the Rangers and Whalers stood pat at the deadline while the Knights loaded up. Is this the year Spott can outbid these two to get the best available players?
Time will tell!

KnightRanger is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
  #487
RangerFan14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
What potential really?

Pederson was ranked somewhere in the second round of the OHL draft. Spott was very high on him but the Rangers didn't have a second round pick to use on him. Spott was so high on him in fact, that he used our 1st rounder to get him because he felt he wouldn't be around to select in the 3rd round.

So any real potential should be that of a second round pick. The problem is that since he was our first round pick, and since Spott raved about how good this guy is/will be, that there has been much more expectation out of him by the fans. It's not his fault that he has to live up to being a 1st round pick, but it has become his burden.

That burden started last year in the playoffs. Due to injury, and lack of high end players on what was a high end team at the deadline, he was asked to play higher up in the forward group than he really should have been. He honestly couldn't lace the skates of Crescenzi and Randell on that line (the same can be said about Ming and Lorentz on Faksa'a line). He had the odd decent game but at the end of the day, it wasn't fair to ask him to suceed on that line. The one positive out of that is the experience he gained moving forward. The problem is, that experience didn't advance his game enough to have him ranked (by most posters) ahead of two forwards taken below him in the same draft (Sterk & Bailey).

Since that draft I have been looking at a few guys that were drafted after him and how there are doing. One in particular - Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo. The Record even had an article and interview with DeAngelo leading up to the draft about how the Rangers were interested in him and how much he'd like to come here. He is an exceptional talent. An offensive d-man in the mold of Ryan Murphy. Will he become as good? Who knows? All I know is that he impressed the heck out of me last year when he played us. I wondered why we didn't take him in the 1st round.

I compare Pederson to being the next version of Ben Thomson (a player we selected in the 7th round) minus the edge but with just a bit more upside. IMO, Pederson isn't an OHL first round talent. But he is a very good talent nonetheless and should bring good return if he's included in any deal.
All I have to say to this long and pointless message is that you will look like a fool when he doesn't even produce as much as a 2nd rounder should! And it doesn't matter if baliey and sterk were taking after him in the ohl draft look who is better now, he's a bust accept it.

RangerFan14 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:21 AM
  #488
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan14 View Post
All I have to say to this long and pointless message is that you will look like a fool when he doesn't even produce as much as a 2nd rounder should! And it doesn't matter if baliey and sterk were taking after him in the ohl draft look who is better now, he's a bust accept it.

....and all I have to say about your short and pointless message is that it's obvious that you didn't read mine very well. Nowhere did I say he'd "produce as much as a second rounder should". I said he was ranked in the second round in his draft year. If he doesn't produce as a second rounder should, I'll have no reason to look like a fool.

Also, I've been saying on this board since as far back as the middle of last season that I felt that Pederson was a bust as a 1st rounder. I've also said he was our worst 1st rounder since Micheal Pelech. But, as an OHLer, he isn't a bust at all.

Had we a second round pick last year, and took DeAngelo in the 1st (he was still on the board when we picked Pederson) and used that 2nd rounder on Pederson, I don't think many on these boards would be critisizing him as much as they have been. It's the fact he was our 1st rounder and the expectation that comes with being a 1st rounder that has been a lightning rod for critism.

Sterk and Bailey may be better than him now but that could change before their OHL careers are over. You never know.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
  #489
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan14 View Post
I'm not saying he isn't good but he isn't as great as people
No one has said that Pederson is great or even good.
I suspect everyone is generally disappointed with his play.

Let me rephrase that....I suspect everyone has generally expected this type of play from Pederson regardless of his draft position.

Having said all that, it's not unusual for players to make a dramatic increase in production from their 1st year to their second year.
Case in point....http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116058

Having said all that I suspect Pederson will top out at best being a 20-20 player which isn't what you want or expect from his draft position.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
  #490
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Before Spott drafted Pedersen, he said that the Rangers were looking to draft a player that they wouldnt lose after 2 seasons and was "A four year player".

And you have Pedersen. Many people werent happy he went 1st round, and many more were shocked.

it is what it is, can't go back, not about to give up on the kid. He will find his game with time. Spott knew at the time he would take time to come into form.

Thomson is the perfect compliment to any top line. Just ask Cat and Rieder about last year. He does his job very well, creating space and driving the net.

Theres a reason he got drafted a year after his draft year, and it isnt because he sucks.

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
  #491
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Thomson is the perfect compliment to any top line. Just ask Cat and Rieder about last year. He does his job very well, creating space and driving the net.

Theres a reason he got drafted a year after his draft year, and it isnt because he sucks.
I would absolute love to have Ben Thomson on every line!

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 08:26 AM
  #492
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
Game Day!!

Any predictions on who gets the first goal of the season for the 50th Anniversary to kick off?

I will go the safe route and pick Rieder.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 08:53 AM
  #493
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
I was just about to guess Thomson until I remembered he has to sit this one out.

I'll take a Murphy clapper from the point. (maybe it gets tipped?

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
  #494
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
For scorer, I'll go with Puempel. That's what he's here for, so why not?

Also just see that Midensky has signed with the Remparts. No disrespect to the kid, but how does the CHL's #1 team need his services?

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
  #495
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
I'll go with Faksa for the first goal, on the PP.

I'm just happy the season is starting -- it's time to get the bad taste of a London sweep out.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  #496
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
For scorer, I'll go with Puempel. That's what he's here for, so why not?

Also just see that Midensky has signed with the Remparts. No disrespect to the kid, but how does the CHL's #1 team need his services?
Evidently the focus is certainly not defensive.....

But congrats to him, and hopefully he see's some ice to continue in his development.

Remember one Mike Hoffman that Kitchener had in mid season, gave very little chance and released? Well he went on to post 94 and 85 point seasons in the QMJHL, included 52 goals in a season, was drafted by the Sens and now plays AHL hockey.

You never know.

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
  #497
hockeyonice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
i'll take the long shot and go with a rookie schmaltz

hockeyonice is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
  #498
palm5320
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Hey everyone, I'm new to HFBoards but I've been a Ranger fan my whole life, and bring a wealth of hockey knowledge. I also write for the thefakehockey.com. Anyway, here is the lineup I would like to see by the deadline. I have assumed that Spotter will pick up a top-pairing defenseman at the deadline (an overager so that he doesn't have to give up the future, and could just part with any of Gilbert, Genovese, Young, and maybe even Llewellyn if necessary. I expect Hanes to earn a permanent spot on the roster and remain as an overager because of the value of shut-down d-men in the OHL. This would leave Czinder out of the picture unfortunately. So here is what that lineup would look like:

Puempel-Faksa-Reider (potentially best line in the CHL)
Thomson-Bailey-Marcantuoni (Bailey will earn this spot throughout the season, sooner than later)
Sterk-Alberga-Pederson (Pederson will improve, and Alberga could be replaced by Crescenzi if he is sent back)
Ming-Schmalz-Llewellyn (Meighan or Lesway could replace Llewellyn)

Murphy-OA (The Rangers biggest hole is someone to replace Cody Sol)
Iafrate-Fanelli (Fanelli should be captain, but whatever)
McEneny-Hanes (All three pairs are very reliable and can produce offense as well)

Gibson (Best goalie in the CHL this year)
Palazzese (He stays for insurance - no way Spott risks playing Moylan in the playoffs)

palm5320 is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
  #499
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
For scorer, I'll go with Puempel. That's what he's here for, so why not?

Also just see that Midensky has signed with the Remparts. No disrespect to the kid, but how does the CHL's #1 team need his services?
Congrats for Midensky catching on to another team. Have to agree with you that it doesnt make sense to me either. They have a few top end guys but they also have a bunch of guys fighting for the middle to lower D spots. Dont really see where he fits in. Quebec needs a top end D for a contender but Midensky certainly isnt that.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
  #500
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'll go with Faksa for the first goal, on the PP.

I'm just happy the season is starting -- it's time to get the bad taste of a London sweep out.
Well, whaddya know!


Last edited by CharlieGirl: 09-21-2012 at 10:19 PM.
CharlieGirl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.