HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl 13

Old
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

This game sucks ass.
It really does, I only play be a GM mode and it is crap again. Every player with good potential wants 7 million plus, all UFAs want huge deals aswell.
Think I am gonna put it on Kijiji

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
It's actually the artists who hold the copyright, not the goalies, but the point remains the same.
Right, but also there's independently copyrighted stuff, which the artist has right to use, but that EA would have to pay for (ie: Richard Bachman's Stephen King mask with scenes from the Shining, etc.).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
It really does, I only play be a GM mode and it is crap again. Every player with good potential wants 7 million plus, all UFAs want huge deals aswell.
Think I am gonna put it on Kijiji
I'm still hoping they fix most of it, but until then, it's brutal.

I wish I could sell it but I only have two other games (LittleBigPlanet and NHL 12), so my PS3 would be pretty useless without it.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'm surprised at the vitriol here. It's not that bad. Yeah, they didn't make nearly enough changes, but the skating engine alone makes it superior to 12. Then again, that seems like it was pretty much their only change.

I was able to get in a few minutes of NCAA 13 last night to try it out and damn I'm impressed. The recruiting alone was really deep, not to mention the quality of the actual games. Being able to call up prospects and hype your program over someone else is really cool and makes it feel like what I do actually matters.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

So anyone know why Girgs and Grigs aren't in the game? They aren't even in my "In the System" section and I'm pretty sure I have the latest tuner.

The hit thing that was mentioned is a big pain so far, and the cross ice one timer is all but impossible now.

I'll give it a few days worth of play, but I may end up returning it and sticking with 12.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
So anyone know why Girgs and Grigs aren't in the game? They aren't even in my "In the System" section and I'm pretty sure I have the latest tuner.

The hit thing that was mentioned is a big pain so far, and the cross ice one timer is all but impossible now.

I'll give it a few days worth of play, but I may end up returning it and sticking with 12.
Girgs isn't because he was NCAA and they do the final pressing too early to make roster changes. Grigs is in the Q.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:12 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Girgs isn't because he was NCAA and they do the final pressing too early to make roster changes. Grigs is in the Q.
Hmm...finding less and less reason to keep it.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Hmm...finding less and less reason to keep it.
Just move them to the Sabres roster before you start a BaP or GM or whatever.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

I created Girgs, Knapp, and McCabe. Actually, I created a TON of players. But I'm a roster junkie. I like NHL 13 so far. I'm 4 or 5 games into the season.

- Ott has a broken nose and won't return until the end of October.
- I'm contemplating whether or not to keep Grigs up or send him back to the Q.
- I sent Girgs to Rochester and am letting him develop there.
- Cody Hodgson is my leading scorer so far on a line with Vanek and Poms.
- Lost to the Penguins in OT, but beat the Red Wings and the Rangers.
- I started Enroth on the end of a back-to-back against the Islanders and he let in 4 goals in 2 periods. Benched him for Miller. Proceeded to get shutout by Nabokov

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

This game sucks ass.
That's only ever happened to me during be a player under weird circumstances

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:

Grigs is definitely in the game on the Remparts

Old
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
DJN21

any one else completely frustrated by the checking in this game? Maybe Im lining it all up wrong or something but its damn near impossible to check people anywhere near the way u could in the old games and it makes it less fun for me personally lol

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:53 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Grigs is definitely in the game on the Remparts
Yeah I went back and looked. I've just gotta add him to the roster before I start GM mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
any one else completely frustrated by the checking in this game? Maybe Im lining it all up wrong or something but its damn near impossible to check people anywhere near the way u could in the old games and it makes it less fun for me personally lol
I think a lot of people have been. I suppose after a few weeks we'll all get the hang of it though. The skating and difficulty of cross ice passing is still tripping me up.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Yeah!! The hit system needs improvement. I like to play online with my club but we have no offensive skill. Sometimes, it's super difficult to actually have someone receive your pass. You get used to it though

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:35 PM
DJN21

I struggle with terrible defensive outlet passing(which mind you is annoying though it makes for more realistic gameplay, in past games there has been no realistic sense of forecheck pressure on defenseman looking to outlet break their own zone)...but in this game even when I line up what are potentially huge hits I find even guys like RR and Myers or Foligno etc are throwing the hits only to knock themselves down.

Furthermore I find that any "star" player is unhittable and can poke scheck any puck from you they want. Playing against a Stamkos is like pulling teeth cuz his forecheck and fact you CANNOT knock him off the puck. (again this is likely more realistic though I doubt that if RR lines up a St. Louis, RR isnt going to win that lol)

Old
09-19-2012, 11:38 PM
DJN21

me n some buddies actually had a 5 hit GAME got so frustrated we turned the game off, put in NHL12 and had a 62 hit game the very next game...it was relieving to go back to the usual and comfortable lol.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I'm a 2 way defenseman. It's hard to actually hit people. Some people have playd like 200 games already

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
me n some buddies actually had a 5 hit GAME got so frustrated we turned the game off, put in NHL12 and had a 62 hit game the very next game...it was relieving to go back to the usual and comfortable lol.
Hitting in NHL 13 is definitely more realistic. It errs to the side of difficulty but it's still far more realistic. Hitting in previous games was ridiculously easy for me and frankly made the game too easy, even against real people.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:55 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

<-------- so glad he doesn't buy new video games. Waits until the games are about 8-12 months old. Reads reviews, rarely buys a disappointing game, gets games cheaper. Win win win.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

To solve the lack of hitting: It's simple. Adjust the sliders.

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
To solve the lack of hitting: It's simple. Adjust the sliders.
I haven't tried that yet but it wouldn't help those playing online. Really though, people expect to be able to lay out open ice hits because they've been spoiled by past games but that isn't remotely realistic. How many open ice hits do you see in an average hockey game? You can easily go a whole game without seeing one that sends a guy flying. Also a solid collision on a player against the boards often does what the most real life outcome is: he's jolted hard and you bounce off, if he has the puck it shakes off his stick. Players don't usually go flying in these situations and they certainly go down much less than half the time if they brace themselves.

For the sake of fun they probably should have turned it up a tad (and I suspect they will in tuner updates when everyone complains to them), but if they want to continue for more realism they don't necessarily need to "turn it up" but rather fix up some situations where it is simply less successful or harder than hitting would be in real life.

A lot of this comes down to player skill which will come in time for most of us. I've had plenty of opponents who really abused me physically and some who couldn't at all. Same with poke-checking. Same with me being able to hit or poke check them. Despite the increased pokechecking you absolutely can figure out ways to protect the puck, starting with making less video game-aggressive puck handling decisions.

The one thing that really does bother me is how many perfect one-timer set-ups get blown. One-timers should be harder than they are in most video games but still, a totally open one-timer should not result so often in total failure. They should increase the connection success rate and compensate by decreasing accuracy if necessary.

Passing is also sometimes irritating but I think in my case that's just a matter of practice.

Overall my fairly low expectations for EA sports games have been more than met with this year's improvements to gameplay.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
That's only ever happened to me during be a player under weird circumstances
It happens after someone dumps the puck in or clears the zone and you jump on the ice for a shift change.
It's at least once a game.

Here's three examples from a whopping one hour of play:

And my problem with hitting is that it's always biased.
Yes, it's obviously going to be harder when you're playing as a smaller player like Giroux, but open ice hits rarely do anything, even when I have them perfectly lined up.
On the other hand, the slightest touch from an opposing player destroys me (it's usually after I've lost the puck since every player magically knocks the puck away when you get close to them).
If by some miracle I don't lose the puck, I have to shoot since passing is somewhat broken.
Even then, I usually get destroyed by magnetic defensemen just as I'm getting the shot off and then lay there on the ice for five seconds or so.

I also love that you still get ***** in front of the net and it's almost impossible to get away.
Oh, and that they all but removed one of the big features from 12 (goalie collisions) and put the stupid force field around the crease, which hampers your ability to correctly defend.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
DJN21

Quote:
It happens after someone dumps the puck in or clears the zone and you jump on the ice for a shift change.
It's at least once a game.

Here's three examples from a whopping one hour of play:

And my problem with hitting is that it's always biased.
Yes, it's obviously going to be harder when you're playing as a smaller player like Giroux, but open ice hits rarely do anything, even when I have them perfectly lined up.
On the other hand, the slightest touch from an opposing player destroys me (it's usually after I've lost the puck since every player magically knocks the puck away when you get close to them).
If by some miracle I don't lose the puck, I have to shoot since passing is somewhat broken.
Even then, I usually get destroyed by magnetic defensemen just as I'm getting the shot off and then lay there on the ice for five seconds or so.

I also love that you still get ***** in front of the net and it's almost impossible to get away.
Oh, and that they all but removed one of the big features from 12 (goalie collisions) and put the stupid force field around the crease, which hampers your ability to correctly defend.
I completely agree, I have found the pass and one timers are so difficult that as soon as I break the blueline with a player I want to slap away and pray for the best since it seems every time an opposing player shoots from the blueline no matter how weak it magically goes in.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I do dump and chase a lot and have never seen it myself.

I love the hitting this year. If you don't catch them square with a lot of speed, it's going to jostle them, but not send them crashing to the boards on the far end of the rink like last year.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The most realistic thing about the game is the reffing. Blatant infractions are ignored, and the gentlest of contact is called. Games are determined and orchestrated with the consistency and tact of retards with chainsaws.

Well done EA, it's so very lifelike!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote