HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v21: Kyle Lowry for Prime Minister

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
  #51
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Really speaks to Magloire that Quincy Acy who has never played in the league is ranked and you are not.
Magloire was ranked I think, I just didn't post it because he's not on the roster

EDIT: he was. Magloire was ranked 451.

EDIT 2: Which still puts Acy ahead of him.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
  #52
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,651
vCash: 500
I saw Jamal Magloire at Scarborough Town Centre Nutrition House today and asked him if he would take a picture to which he he said "Yeah". But I told him I'll take it after he's done his shopping but he walked right out without acknowledging me or anything which I found incredibly rude. I didn't chase him around or anything but it would have been nice of him to at least take 2 minutes out and take a picture, him being a Torontonian and an ambassador for the Raptors.

I wasn't particularly desperate for it either but I just thought his reaction was not at all what I expected as he genuinely comes off as a nice dude in interviews and all.

Thought I'd share.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 11:20 PM
  #53
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I saw Jamal Magloire at Scarborough Town Centre Nutrition House today and asked him if he would take a picture to which he he said "Yeah". But I told him I'll take it after he's done his shopping but he walked right out without acknowledging me or anything which I found incredibly rude. I didn't chase him around or anything but it would have been nice of him to at least take 2 minutes out and take a picture, him being a Torontonian and an ambassador for the Raptors.

I wasn't particularly desperate for it either but I just thought his reaction was not at all what I expected as he genuinely comes off as a nice dude in interviews and all.

Thought I'd share.
You asked him if he'd be willing to take a picture with you - he said what? YES. Seems approachable and cooperative.

Ah, but then you suggested it wait until he was finished. Cool, I suppose, trying to be respectful of his time. But that assumes that he isn't distracted with other things on his mind. As soon as he returns to his shopping, you're no longer front-and-centre in his mind, nor should you be. By the time he finishes up, he's forgotten about you and your request because of the simple truth that while running into Jamal Magloire is a memorable event for you, running into a fan who wants to snap a photo is not a memorable event for him.

You can fault him for being absent-minded, I suppose, but not for being rude. It's extremely likely he simply forgot. Happens all the time as you get older - hell, I'll stand up in the living room, walk into the kitchen, and in the 5 seconds that takes me I'll have completely forgotten wat it was I wanted to get from the kitchen. That's why I do things the moment I think of them - because if I don't, I'm very likely to forget.

Just something to consider if you're going to keep sharing this story. And next time, seize your opportu Ott the moment it happens, don't assume it will still be there in a few minutes. Good life advice generally, come to think of it.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
  #54
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
You asked him if he'd be willing to take a picture with you - he said what? YES. Seems approachable and cooperative.

Ah, but then you suggested it wait until he was finished. Cool, I suppose, trying to be respectful of his time. But that assumes that he isn't distracted with other things on his mind. As soon as he returns to his shopping, you're no longer front-and-centre in his mind, nor should you be. By the time he finishes up, he's forgotten about you and your request because of the simple truth that while running into Jamal Magloire is a memorable event for you, running into a fan who wants to snap a photo is not a memorable event for him.

You can fault him for being absent-minded, I suppose, but not for being rude. It's extremely likely he simply forgot. Happens all the time as you get older - hell, I'll stand up in the living room, walk into the kitchen, and in the 5 seconds that takes me I'll have completely forgotten wat it was I wanted to get from the kitchen. That's why I do things the moment I think of them - because if I don't, I'm very likely to forget.

Just something to consider if you're going to keep sharing this story. And next time, seize your opportu Ott the moment it happens, don't assume it will still be there in a few minutes. Good life advice generally, come to think of it.
It's funny because I've had exactly the opposite experiences with DeMar DeRozan, Andrea Bargnani, Darcy Tucker and Gary Roberts. They were all genuinely excited to interact but I didn't get that same sense from him.

Oh well, thought I'd share if you guys stumble accross him.

Dark Knight is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 06:14 AM
  #55
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
It's funny because I've had exactly the opposite experiences with DeMar DeRozan, Andrea Bargnani, Darcy Tucker and Gary Roberts. They were all genuinely excited to interact but I didn't get that same sense from him.

Oh well, thought I'd share if you guys stumble accross him.
I hear you, I just wouldn't read that much into it - never know what's going on in someone's life. Maybe a friend is sick, maybe his dog died, maybe he had a splitting headache... or, like I said, maybe he just forgot.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
  #56
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
The Raps apparently signed Magloire today, which I think gives them 16 players under contract right now. That means someone's gonna get cut before the season starts.

It's interesting that they did re-sign him considering how much depth the team has at teh 4 and 5 spots. I can't really see him lasting through training camp, no matter how inept Dominic McGuire might be offensively as a SF.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
  #57
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The Raps apparently signed Magloire today, which I think gives them 16 players under contract right now. That means someone's gonna get cut before the season starts.

It's interesting that they did re-sign him considering how much depth the team has at teh 4 and 5 spots. I can't really see him lasting through training camp, no matter how inept Dominic McGuire might be offensively as a SF.
Heard that it was to have his presence and leadership (the above poster's experience notwithstanding) at camp, and that there was no guarantee or expectation that he would necessarily make the 15-man. In fact, if he doesn't make the team, I could see him effectively retiring and continuing on with the club in a developmental role.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
  #58
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,563
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter to me, but just curious does anyone know if RSN will pick up more Raptors games than TSN since Rogers bought MLSE? What will TSN do without NHL and without the Raptors?

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
  #59
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It doesn't matter to me, but just curious does anyone know if RSN will pick up more Raptors games than TSN since Rogers bought MLSE? What will TSN do without NHL and without the Raptors?
Rogers AND Bell bought MLSE. TSN is owned by Bell, so expect just as many games if not more on TSN and TSN2.

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
  #60
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Rogers AND Bell bought MLSE. TSN is owned by Bell, so expect just as many games if not more on TSN and TSN2.
Oh, true. I forgot about Bell. Then I would think things will stay the same. Thanks.

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
  #61
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 201
Valenciunas has a calf strain:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=405983

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
  #62
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Valenciunas has a calf strain:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=405983
season over! Blow it up! Fire everyone!

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  #63
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
season over! Blow it up! Fire everyone!
Think of the children! Oh God won't somebody please think of the children!


Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
  #64
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
http://www.hoopsworld.com/jonas-vala...d-coach-casey/

Short piece on coach casey's reaction to hearing the news & a bit of an update.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
  #65
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,018
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...2572--nba.html


Reality Check is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:09 AM
  #66
4th line energy guy
Registered User
 
4th line energy guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
If he makes the hof, ill throw up repeatedly.

4th line energy guy is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
  #67
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th line energy guy View Post
If he makes the hof, ill throw up repeatedly.
he won't. His career wasn't good enough for long enough, and he didn't have some sort of league-defining moment within the confines of actual games that would be enough to overcome that. All he has to hang his hat on is the dunk contest, and one sideshow, no matter how insane it was, is going to get him into the HoF.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
  #68
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I saw Jamal Magloire at Scarborough Town Centre Nutrition House today and asked him if he would take a picture to which he he said "Yeah". But I told him I'll take it after he's done his shopping but he walked right out without acknowledging me or anything which I found incredibly rude. I didn't chase him around or anything but it would have been nice of him to at least take 2 minutes out and take a picture, him being a Torontonian and an ambassador for the Raptors.

I wasn't particularly desperate for it either but I just thought his reaction was not at all what I expected as he genuinely comes off as a nice dude in interviews and all.

Thought I'd share.
That's funny, there was a thread on RealGM where someone went to a game in Memphis against the Raps and he said Magloire was an ass and blew him off when he asked him for a signature, but he said ED was super approachable and always goofing around.

You'd think ED would be the one to blow off fans and Magloire the one to embrace them considering what their perceptions are.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
  #69
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,965
vCash: 500
For all the griping about his contract, I will say that Landry Fields seems like a pretty good dude.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
  #70
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 201
Hopefully we're able to get something of value for Calderon. If we hold onto him until the deadline what type of return do you guys think we could get?

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 10:19 AM
  #71
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Hopefully we're able to get something of value for Calderon. If we hold onto him until the deadline what type of return do you guys think we could get?
What can you get for a backup PG? Besides, I hope the Raps do hold on to him if they are in a playoff position.

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 10:37 AM
  #72
Eyedea
96 from the left
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,059
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
What can you get for a backup PG? Besides, I hope the Raps do hold on to him if they are in a playoff position.
He's starting caliber though. We can probably get a first for him but I'm not very familiar with value in the NBA.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 11:09 AM
  #73
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
He's starting caliber though. We can probably get a first for him but I'm not very familiar with value in the NBA.
It would be nice to pick up a first since if we don't make the playoffs we probably won't have one next year because of the Lowry trade. I don't know much about trade value in the NBA either.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
  #74
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
I doubt we'd get a first at this point. Which playoff team could really use a PG?

Eytinge is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
  #75
Eyedea
96 from the left
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,059
vCash: 350
I had a few teams in mind but looking at their off season deals it looks like they don't need a pg. Utah, Dallas, Chicago were ones that came to mind.

Eyedea is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.