HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Kostitsyn would like to stay in KHL after lockout

Old
09-19-2012, 01:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
but he is russian...
It really doesn't matter. He'll be back in the NHL once the lock out is over unless he decides to break his contract, which I doubt he will do. I was merely taking issue with this persistent desire around here to turn everything into a "I told you so" type of competition. When SK came here it was as a reclamation project, and it worked. Ignoring that now that he is doing what several other NHLers are doing is silly, especially when it's just to mock "people" who supposedly said or thought Nashville "stole" him.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Stephen

It's not that surprising that he'd prefer to stay at home, given the xenophobic attitudes about Russians in general as well as the disappearance of the Eastern European "middle class" in the NHL these days. You don't see too many of those Igor Korolev/Jan Hrdina echelon type players populating the NHL anymore we used to have in the 90s.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:05 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

there is no buyout in NHL contract?

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Does the article give the name of his agent? Plenty of European players have both North American and European agents, and they often say conflicting things. If this is coming from his Euro agent, I wouldn't put much weight in it at all. Just trying to raise the value of his client in Europe.

Quote:
but he is russian...
Actually, he's from Belarus.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
MrVisser

Lets try the inverse:

Quote:
The NHL is locked out and so now I have to play in KHL to make some money. When NHL starts again, I'll be happy to get out of here.
Does that sound like something someone who just signed a contract to play in the KHL for the next few months would say?

I think it's more likely that it is for Russian PR than anything else.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:14 AM
Theokritos

He has a valid NHL contract, period. It's really a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's not that surprising that he'd prefer to stay at home, given the xenophobic attitudes about Russians in general
No-one forced him to sign that NHL contract two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
I think it's more likely that it is for Russian PR than anything else.
Indeed.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:42 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

This article does hint at something I have been wondering. This agreement between the NHL and KHL might be not as ironclad as some think. If the opportunity presents itself to take the right high-profile members back would the KHL hesitate?

The IIHF would be put in a rather interesting place. As usually it takes all three parties departing league, IIHF and new league to sign off on a player moving. However the NHL has never treated the IIHF with a great level of respect and the Olympic debate from NHL owners positions certainly has to make them worried.

How would the IIHF do if they barred the KHL from the Olympics on Russian soil? Really puts them in a heck of a spot if the NHL does do salary rollbacks and some of the players try not coming back.

If I am the IIHF I probably side with the KHL. The NHL makes my life a little harder than it has to be anyway. I put the pressure on Canada and USA stinking in the Olympics and the pressure applied to the NHL to drag them back. They stage world championships in Europe and need to favor their European partners if push really comes to shove.

It gets tricky in that aspect. I am just not as sure as some that they can enforce these contracts as well as people think if the players push to never come back to the NHL.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:25 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
This article does hint at something I have been wondering. This agreement between the NHL and KHL might be not as ironclad as some think. If the opportunity presents itself to take the right high-profile members back would the KHL hesitate?

The IIHF would be put in a rather interesting place. As usually it takes all three parties departing league, IIHF and new league to sign off on a player moving. However the NHL has never treated the IIHF with a great level of respect and the Olympic debate from NHL owners positions certainly has to make them worried.

How would the IIHF do if they barred the KHL from the Olympics on Russian soil? Really puts them in a heck of a spot if the NHL does do salary rollbacks and some of the players try not coming back.

If I am the IIHF I probably side with the KHL. The NHL makes my life a little harder than it has to be anyway. I put the pressure on Canada and USA stinking in the Olympics and the pressure applied to the NHL to drag them back. They stage world championships in Europe and need to favor their European partners if push really comes to shove.

It gets tricky in that aspect. I am just not as sure as some that they can enforce these contracts as well as people think if the players push to never come back to the NHL.
Correct on all accounts, but I just don't think the salary rollback is going to have such a huge impact. High-profile players like Ovechkin and Malkin would still make more money in the NHL than in the KHL, so they can complain all they want, but I don't really see them leaving. The real issue IMO is NHL participation in the 2014 Olympics. If the NHL said no to the Sotchi Games it would be a slap in the face of Russia and the Russian players. If the NHL owners really want to drop out of the Olympics then after 2014 please, otherwise a full-flight transatlantic war is almost guaranteed.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:43 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Correct on all accounts, but I just don't think the salary rollback is going to have such a huge impact. High-profile players like Ovechkin and Malkin would still make more money in the NHL than in the KHL, so they can complain all they want, but I don't really see them leaving. The real issue IMO is NHL participation in the 2014 Olympics. If the NHL said no to the Sotchi Games it would be a slap in the face of Russia and the Russian players. If the NHL owners really want to drop out of the Olympics then after 2014 please, otherwise a full-flight transatlantic war is almost guaranteed.
I actually don't think they can make more in the NHL versus the KHL. Just the top flight I am talking about but Kovy, Malkin, Datsyuk and Ovie could all get around the same dollar figure or maybe more in the KHL. Kovy's agent even after he signed in New Jersey claimed he got his biggest offer from KHL, so I believe it can happen. This doesn't even account for the fact it could be tax free. I think these guys are here for the competition factor, money I still believe for those four players can be beat by staying at home. I don't think the league will do rollbacks, of course should point out at the same time the KHL did do rollbacks very recently so they should be careful about complaining about this and then signing with that particular league.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 09-20-2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: my mistake meant to say KHL.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I actually don't think they can make more in the NHL versus the KHL. Just the top flight I am talking about but Kovy, Malkin, Datsyuk and Ovie could all get around the same dollar figure or maybe more in the KHL.
I am ready to believe it when they start to lure those players away from the NHL. Until then I'm sceptical.

Quote:
Kovy's agent even after he signed in New Jersey claimed he got his biggest offer from New Jersey
I assume the sentence was supposed to read: "...biggest offer from the KHL."

We don't know whether it's actually true what the agent said. There was negative publicity in North America when Sankt Petersburg made their offer. "If Kovalchuk doesn't want to compete with the best then good riddance, have fun in a league that rewards laziness with a big paycheck etc etc." What the agent said paints Kovalchuk in a different light so maybe it was a PR move.

Quote:
This doesn't even account for the fact it could be tax free.
Taxes are lower, but it's not tax free.

Quote:
I think these guys are here for the competition factor
Not so sure about that.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

No words from Sergei there. I think it's only the vice-president of the KHL's wishful thinking, nothing more.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It really doesn't matter. He'll be back in the NHL once the lock out is over unless he decides to break his contract, which I doubt he will do. I was merely taking issue with this persistent desire around here to turn everything into a "I told you so" type of competition. When SK came here it was as a reclamation project, and it worked. Ignoring that now that he is doing what several other NHLers are doing is silly, especially when it's just to mock "people" who supposedly said or thought Nashville "stole" him.
sorry, should have added:

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
but he is russian...
He was Belarusian last time I checked

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
To be fair, I think it's only Montreal fans who ever thought that. And Nashville still got a few pretty decent years out of Sergei which is more than we got out of Dustin Boyd and Dan Ellis.
Sergei was a wreck here. Glad he was gone. Happy for him it worked out somewhere else.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Article in ENG, Ovie about staying in KHL? LOL
http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20120919/617766404.html
Would be hilarious when someone tells him that he wouldn't be allowed to play in the Olympics

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Could some want to stay because of Sochi?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
No words from Sergei there. I think it's only the vice-president of the KHL's wishful thinking, nothing more.
This was my thought too. Plus, one thing that hasn't been mentioned, SK just signed a two year contract. Here. In the NHL.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Could some want to stay because of Sochi?
In SK's case, doubt it. Will belarus even be competing? They are usually on the bubble but are they ranked high enough right now?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Good riddence!
He's not leaving so this doesn't make sense.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:59 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
F Sergei Kostitsyn would like to stay in KHL after lockout as his agent said, but he has valid NHL contract so is obligated to come back.

http://izvestia.ru/news/535535
Use Google Translate and translated the above article

http://translate.google.com/translat...Fnews%2F535535

Quote:
Signing a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk general manager Alexei Kasatonov SKA seemed to hold his song. When talk of a lockout has only just begun, the legendary hockey player was one of the most consistent opponents of expensive invitations NHL players during the lockout, if they can not stay in our league for the whole season.

And Kasatonov signs of one of the most expensive Russian NHL players - just such overseas employers who will not leave - the season to finish the game in a different league for nothing, if its main North American Championship Hockey League will be able to save.

Last edited by spiny norman: 09-20-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added translation link, please quote only a fraction of article
scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
birddog*

When you don't get an NHL contract -- that's what you say.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:41 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

This is all pointless and doesn't mean anything. Of course he would love to play near home AS LONG AS there is a lockout. However, he just signed a new contract with Nashville a few months back. He will be back and yes we "stole" him.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He has a two year NHL contract with the Preds. It's his brother that doesn't.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
In SK's case, doubt it. Will belarus even be competing? They are usually on the bubble but are they ranked high enough right now?
Belarus will qualify in a group with Denmark, Slovenia and a lower ranked country this February. Winner of the group goes to the Olympics.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
That is pretty much sums up the knowledge about players of many HFboards users. Look at his passport and write a comment

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote