HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Winnipeg - Edmonton

Old
09-18-2012, 08:59 PM
TopCookie

vCash: 500
No thanks from a EDM pov. We need a top 4 defender, not a depth dman.

TopCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Stuart is a third pairing with heavy PK duties. He hits a lot (and takes a lot of penalties) and can't do well with 15+ mins. I don't think this is what the Oilers want or would be good value for them. Sutton actually looks like he performed similarly just looking at stats (did not watch enough of him for an eyeball test). Sooo waaay overpayment for "intangibles".

Hainsey would be better if he wasn't a pending UFA and had a smaller cap hit... say ~3-3.5. Can do shutdown role or has offensive upside if he is sheltered (currently not being though which is why he has the lack of points).

Also, LW is the only position that the Jets have set right now. Kane, Ladd and Ponikarovsky are LW exclusively and Antropov, Burmistrov, Cormier and Miettenin can all play LW if need be.

PS Bogo is actually our best defensemen with defensive duties, followed by Hainsey... just because someone can put up points doesn't mean they aren't better than "defensive" defensemen.
Great Dave Tippett quote
Quote:
"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."
PPS Ladd is an ok support 1st liner or superb second liner NOT 3rd liner.
Quote:
Ladd: The Jets leader in both words and actions. While trailing Kane in both shots and G/60, he plays a stronger possession game against some of the league’s toughest match ups with the rest of the two-way savvy LLW line (or at AIH: Ladd’s Little Wheeler). Next season Ladd will most likely continue with similar production.
For LW, Ladd was 30th in pts, 17th in goals, 41st in assists. For 5v5 */60 with +30 GP he comes 44th in p/60, 12th in g/60, and 75th for a1/60. Production and possession wise he is an average top-line scorer with strong possession abilities.
Top line goal scoring production and one of the top 5v5 shots on net in the league... no 3rd liner unless your team is ubber stacked.

Last edited by garret9: 09-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.
garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:15 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Agreed. Why trade players of value when you can just offer garbage for other teams top players?
Oh come on, no need for the trollish comments. If you want to talk about players on other team being garbage, it might be more pleasant for the people who cheer for those players for you to do so at your own team's board. Unless, of course, you're just in the mood to insult people.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that Hemsky or Gagner should be involved in the proposal. I was making a sarcastic joke of the frequency of Gagner/Hemsky in proposals in the past and the frequency of MPS in proposals over the past week.

Bedsides that, I don't think MPS is the kind of player Ottawa needs right now. If I were a Sens fan I'd be looking for another sniper.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I love Stuart and all he brings to the table and I will be the first to admit that I never seem to be open to a trade if Stuart is involved.

That said, if JETS brass felt PRV was poised to breakout and reach his potential, they do this with no second thoughts. There's too much potential in PRV to pass up even for a guy like Stuart. I'd definitely consider it. Guys like Stuart can be had in free agency.

As others have said, Oilers brass would never make this offer unless they were certain PRV was destined to bust.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
how about Kulda??

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
how about Kulda??
Kulda projects to be a physical bottom pairing guy as well. What about him?

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Kulda projects to be a physical bottom pairing guy as well. What about him?

He signed in Europe like before the lockout too.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:56 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Stuart is a nice defenseman but the Oilers already have Smid and N.Schultz, they don't really need another defenseman in the same mold.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
He signed in Europe like before the lockout too.
Yup, and he's doing pretty damn well too. He has 5 goals in his first 6 games, tops among d-men in the KHL. I think he was fourth or so in overall scoring as well the last time I checked.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Crazed Fan

Stuart
182 Blocked Shots
198 Hits
98 PIM
Jets need to hold onto a guy like this. Not afraid to get involved.
There is a reason he wears the A on his jersey, and he should stay in Winnipeg.
When he is on the ice, he looks possessed.
The things the Jets would be losing in this trade would prove difficult to replace.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Only way we give you Stuart, is if we get a first round pick and Marincin

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Oh man, please lock this thread now.....

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Oh man, please lock this thread now.....
no kidding.

I love Big Mark Stuart as much as the next guy, but even if he's the very best, captain-quality, trunculance filled, son of christ, third pairing dman, he's still a third pairing d man, and no matter what you add to that, its not going to make him into something worth a whole heck of a lot in a trade.

the op is was an overpayment from the oilers, and i would gladly accept it.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Edmonton fans, please don't respond to this post. This is not how the majority of the Jets fan base feels and we don't want a pissing match because of 1 posters misrepresented comments. If you do respond to this type of comment make sure it's directed at this poster and not our entire fan base. Thanks!

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:44 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Edmonton fans, please don't respond to this post. This is not how the majority of the Jets fan base feels and we don't want a pissing match because of 1 posters misrepresented comments. If you do respond to this type of comment make sure it's directed at this poster and not our entire fan base. Thanks!
No worries, most Oiler fans are well aware that every fan base has their questionable posters.

gooilgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Lux Aurumque*

As a Jets fan, I would pull the trigger on this in a heartbeat, then buy out Sutton.

However, there's no way in hell that the Oilers would do this.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:16 PM
broc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
no kidding.

I love Big Mark Stuart as much as the next guy, but even if he's the very best, captain-quality, trunculance filled, son of christ, third pairing dman, he's still a third pairing d man, and no matter what you add to that, its not going to make him into something worth a whole heck of a lot in a trade.

the op is was an overpayment from the oilers, and i would gladly accept it.
Even though this really addresses none of our needs, and puts a huge hole in our lineup we can't replace?

You don't just trade for value..

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:04 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post
Even though this really addresses none of our needs, and puts a huge hole in our lineup we can't replace?

You don't just trade for value..
You do if the player you lose can easily be replaced in FA... which 3rd pairing guys who don't do all that well at anything but hit/fight/block isn't too hard

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:36 PM
lakai17

it's fine, we have David Musil and Colten Teubert on rise, nevermind AHL all-star Alex Plante.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
You can keep Stuart, you are not getting Marincin and a 1st round pick; talk about a homer offer.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
You do if the player you lose can easily be replaced in FA... which 3rd pairing guys who don't do all that well at anything but hit/fight/block isn't too hard
Exactly. When the values high you do. When the hole can be filled with an fa you do. When both of these things come up you do it before the other guy thinks about what he's doing.

The real question is why wouldn't Edmonton just Sign a third pairing d man- far more likely then this wonderful gift to winnipeg .

Old
09-22-2012, 12:31 PM
rockinghockey

Stuart would be a nice addition in EDM as he is the type of player that we could use but he is not worth a 1st round pick.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Stuart is a heart and soul guy. He blocks shots, plays the game hard, and is always willing to stand up for his teammates. I think MPS will be a good player but we don't have the room on LW for him. I am not saying the value isn't there but Winnipeg easily says no I think.

Ask Bruins fans what they think about Stuart and you'll see that he holds more value than you think.
Ok here's what this Bruins fan thinks: Stuart is a great guy and can play on any team's bottom pairing. However, he's a totally replacable guy and as soon as Boston wanted to make a run they found a younger, better, cheaper option in McQuaid and dealt Stuart away.

I like him and I'll always root for him, but I'd deal him for a player like MPS in a heartbeat, and so would Winnipeg. And to be fair, I'd deal McQuaid for MPS as well.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Ok here's what this Bruins fan thinks: Stuart is a great guy and can play on any team's bottom pairing. However, he's a totally replacable guy and as soon as Boston wanted to make a run they found a younger, better, cheaper option in McQuaid and dealt Stuart away.

I like him and I'll always root for him, but I'd deal him for a player like MPS in a heartbeat, and so would Winnipeg. And to be fair, I'd deal McQuaid for MPS as well.
Yeeep this Winnipeg fan Agrees completely

Old
09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Cogburn

I don't think it's that Edmonton fans don't appreciate what Stuart brings to the table, at least on the whole, but rather that MPS doesn't hold the value with his potential to Winnipeg. MPS would be worth more to a team that is rebuilding, and I see the Jets as being a team in need of consolidation. I thought the team played quite well, considering, and was a playoff contender until the end of the season. A maybe for next year for a known quantity would make this a fine trade if the Jets were either stacked with stay at home D, lacking a big bodied forward severely (Ladd, Antropov and Kane are all in their top six....Jokenin now too) or was in a state where the couldn't compete. However, given that they are probably looking at competing with the existing group, I don't see this kind of trade being made.

As for the Oilers fans stand point, because of the finishes in the last few years, potential holds much more value to them then a "depth defenseman" (viewed in their eyes, as he is not a bonafide top 4 on the Jets for a few reasons) and since the Oilers likely aren't competeing next season for a cup spot, mortgaging a potential top six powerforward isn't beneficial.

If it were to happen, either side wouldn't be happy, and I can see why on both sides.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote