HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

QMJHL, OHL, WHL streaming packages

Old
09-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
QMJHL, OHL, WHL streaming packages

I was wondering if anyone has the live stream packages from the WHL, OHL, or QMJHL. I was looking for input on the quality of video and so on. WHL and OHL are almost 300 dollars, but you get every game and the archives. I have always been interested in watching junior hockey and was wondering if it is worth the money? QMJHL is only 200 dollars, but I am more interested in the other two leagues. The league I am leaning towards right now is the OHL, but would like some feedback if it is worth 300 dollars?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:15 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I was wondering if anyone has the live stream packages from the WHL, OHL, or QMJHL. I was looking for input on the quality of video and so on. WHL and OHL are almost 300 dollars, but you get every game and the archives. I have always been interested in watching junior hockey and was wondering if it is worth the money? QMJHL is only 200 dollars, but I am more interested in the other two leagues. The league I am leaning towards right now is the OHL, but would like some feedback if it is worth 300 dollars?
I would recommend purchasing the OHL game by game, rather than the entire package. If you check the schedule, the majority of games are played on Friday/Saturday/Sunday with lots of overlap, and a few mid-week games here and there.

The games from the US teams are not great - they don't broadcast their games, so you're getting the league required video feed along with the radio announcers. Better than nothing during playoffs, but not something I'd spend money on otherwise.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I would recommend purchasing the OHL game by game, rather than the entire package. If you check the schedule, the majority of games are played on Friday/Saturday/Sunday with lots of overlap, and a few mid-week games here and there.

The games from the US teams are not great - they don't broadcast their games, so you're getting the league required video feed along with the radio announcers. Better than nothing during playoffs, but not something I'd spend money on otherwise.
Thank you. I actually forgot that most games are played on the weekend. That might be a problem for me since I work then. I know you are a huge OHL fan(Kitchner Rangers) but what other teams would you recommend watching from the league if I go game by game basis?

Old
09-20-2012, 12:12 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Thank you. I actually forgot that most games are played on the weekend. That might be a problem for me since I work then. I know you are a huge OHL fan(Kitchner Rangers) but what other teams would you recommend watching from the league if I go game by game basis?
You have no idea how hard this is for me to say, but the *spit* London Knights will be one of the top teams in the league - watch for Max Domi (draft eligible this year, and nothing like his father). BRB, need a shower.

Other than the *spit* Knights, Plymouth is always very competitive. Erie has 15 year old phenom Connor McDavid - a kid I'm looking forward to seeing, and Barrie has a couple of very good young players. Brampton is also looking good this year. Owen Sound will also be in the mix.

There are a few rivalries that always result in great games -- London/Kitchener games have a playoff feel in September. London/Windsor games are usually scrappy and fun to watch; Oshawa/Peterborough have a long standing dislike of each other as well.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
You have no idea how hard this is for me to say, but the *spit* London Knights will be one of the top teams in the league - watch for Max Domi (draft eligible this year, and nothing like his father). BRB, need a shower.

Other than the *spit* Knights, Plymouth is always very competitive. Erie has 15 year old phenom Connor McDavid - a kid I'm looking forward to seeing, and Barrie has a couple of very good young players. Brampton is also looking good this year. Owen Sound will also be in the mix.

There are a few rivalries that always result in great games -- London/Kitchener games have a playoff feel in September. London/Windsor games are usually scrappy and fun to watch; Oshawa/Peterborough have a long standing dislike of each other as well.
what are you going to do if the Flyers draft Max Domi? haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what are you going to do if the Flyers draft Max Domi? haha
Hope he gets 3 goals and that his team loses 4-3!

Old
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

Thank you for the info. That seemed really difficult giving props up to one of your most hated rivals. I heard about Domi and McDavid, would love to see them in action. Again thanks for all the info, it's really appreciated. I'll take a look at other OHL players that should be high draft picks also.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Thank you for the info. That seemed really difficult giving props up to one of your most hated rivals. I heard about Domi and McDavid, would love to see them in action. Again thanks for all the info, it's really appreciated. I'll take a look at other OHL players that should be high draft picks also.
It's true. The Knights/Rangers have the same warm, fuzzy relationship that the Pens/Flyers do.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
It's true. The Knights/Rangers have the same warm, fuzzy relationship that the Pens/Flyers do.
I think the OHL has gone a bit to far in the penalties its handing out for fighting. I get that they want to cut down on the dirty play ect, but that is a bit overboard.
tweets from guys like Krys Barch and Rinaldo arent liking it a whole lot.
10 fights in one season results in a 2 game suspension? WTF

Old
09-20-2012, 01:49 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think the OHL has gone a bit to far in the penalties its handing out for fighting. I get that they want to cut down on the dirty play ect, but that is a bit overboard.
tweets from guys like Krys Barch and Rinaldo arent liking it a whole lot.
10 fights in one season results in a 2 game suspension? WTF
It would definitely affect guys like Rinaldo, but the stats show that 92% of players last year would not be affected. The league is trying to get rid of the designated goon who can't otherwise play, as well as staged fights, and I don't have a problem with that at all. Also, if there is an instigator penalty given to the opponent, it doesn't count as a fight for the non-instigator.

It will affect morons like a Windsor player, who stated a few weeks ago that his goal this year is to have 40 fights. Not points, championships, or blocked shots... fights. If he gets suspended and costs his team money, oh well.

Where I think we could see a problem is with guys like Cousins. If he's out on the ice at the end of the game, he's going to have free reign to be a jerk and anyone who retaliates will be suspended. That's where I disagree with the new rules in the OHL (suspension for fighting in the last 5 minutes of a game).

Old
09-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

CG I looked into the OHL package because it has the most Flyer picks. However when I looked at the sample vedio they showed I was really upset with what I saw. It was not in HD and very fuzzy. Is that the case or do they broadcast the games in HD?
Thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
CG I looked into the OHL package because it has the most Flyer picks. However when I looked at the sample vedio they showed I was really upset with what I saw. It was not in HD and very fuzzy. Is that the case or do they broadcast the games in HD?
Thanks
I don't think many are broadcast in HD - other than the Sportsnet games of the week (Friday nights) that usually start in late November/early December. Most of the broadcasts are done by the local cable stations, and the commentators range from good to makes-Jack-Edwards-look-impartial.

Some of the feeds are pretty good, some are poor - it depends on the team and venue. Owen Sound is a pretty dark arena even when in the crowd. The US teams don't broadcast their games, so the feeds are just the required video streams. Do you happen to know who the participants were in the sample?

Old
09-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I don't think many are broadcast in HD - other than the Sportsnet games of the week (Friday nights) that usually start in late November/early December. Most of the broadcasts are done by the local cable stations, and the commentators range from good to makes-Jack-Edwards-look-impartial.

Some of the feeds are pretty good, some are poor - it depends on the team and venue. Owen Sound is a pretty dark arena even when in the crowd. The US teams don't broadcast their games, so the feeds are just the required video streams. Do you happen to know who the participants were in the sample?
http://yyz.neulion.com/static/hockey...yer/player.php

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Thanks - odd that the first two clips are that fuzzy, since those were Sportsnet broadcasts in HD.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

for the whl package, and i can only speak for the wheat king games, the feeds usually look like cable-esque standard definition college student jobs. in the playoffs a couple of years ago the opposing teams' feed looked like a web cam. Small sample size but my only exposure to the online feeds.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
It would definitely affect guys like Rinaldo, but the stats show that 92% of players last year would not be affected. The league is trying to get rid of the designated goon who can't otherwise play, as well as staged fights, and I don't have a problem with that at all. Also, if there is an instigator penalty given to the opponent, it doesn't count as a fight for the non-instigator.

It will affect morons like a Windsor player, who stated a few weeks ago that his goal this year is to have 40 fights. Not points, championships, or blocked shots... fights. If he gets suspended and costs his team money, oh well.

Where I think we could see a problem is with guys like Cousins. If he's out on the ice at the end of the game, he's going to have free reign to be a jerk and anyone who retaliates will be suspended. That's where I disagree with the new rules in the OHL (suspension for fighting in the last 5 minutes of a game).
yeah i can see your point. the staged fighting part of the game is a part of the game I dont like. I hadnt looked into the numbers as far as who it would of affected. i think i read it where if a guy is jumped and is forced to fight it wont go against the 10 fight rule. .ie the guy if there is a instigator involved the player who was "jumped" wont be charged with a fight on his record to the 10 fight rule.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Thanks - odd that the first two clips are that fuzzy, since those were Sportsnet broadcasts in HD.
Thanks you two. At my old age I am so frigging anal that if something is not in HD I have a bird! I might try a single game or two to see before I make the plunge.

Thanks again and lets hope these two sides can get their act's together. But I must admit the future looks bleak.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Thanks you two. At my old age I am so frigging anal that if something is not in HD I have a bird! I might try a single game or two to see before I make the plunge.
That's probably a good idea - just stay away from Owen Sound, Niagara, and Peterborough games - they always look a bit dark. Guelph and Sarnia are a little less so, and the rest are pretty good.

Oh, and I should warn you. Some of the broadcast teams make Jack Edwards look impartial and the Pens duo look professional. Kitchener has the best team in the business on the radio, but the TV guys are painful.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Krishna

If you apply through the OHL neulion thing as a scout, you'll get a discounted price of about 165 bucks.. Not sure if that's for 1 team or if that's for the league as a whole

Old
09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Krishna

Ordered the London Knights vs Erie Otters match for tonight.. Gonna try to broadcast it online if I can figure it out

Old
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Ordered the London Knights vs Erie Otters match for tonight.. Gonna try to broadcast it online if I can figure it out
If you could, that would be great.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Krishna

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5qzx..._192615393.flv

There's a flv file for the stream since I can't figure out how to get the stream going on a website

It will open in VLC media player

Old
09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Krishna

On the .flv file, make sure to skip ahead as far as possible so it's live

Old
09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Krishna

I'm not sure if it's working.. Seems to be on my VLC but haven't gotten any other comments back from people I posted it for

Old
09-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Go For It

For me at least, the file is a 12 minute long video that shows a little bit of the intro and then a lot of you looking stuff up on the internet.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote