*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
with the upcoming lockout, is it possible DSP comes back to the ohl?
Nope, AHL

Old
09-15-2012, 07:56 PM
shello
@WShello9

What do you guys think of Spencer Martin this season? I could see him being a possible first rounder but more likely 2nd-3rd round. Made a thread on the main prospect board but no one answered so I figured this is the best place to go.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Principal14

5th-7th

Old
09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
What do you guys think of Spencer Martin this season? I could see him being a possible first rounder but more likely 2nd-3rd round. Made a thread on the main prospect board but no one answered so I figured this is the best place to go.
he's looked stellar this preseason, he's a goalie that never gives up on a play and has the ability to make that spectacular and highlight save. He is bigger than any other goalie that was at the Ivan Hlinka camp and should continue to grow. He will have his ups and downs this season as the team in front isnt a contender but still has a solid defence in front of him.

If the defence is steady and he has a good season I say he should be one of the first goalies taken in the draft. 1st round if a team likes him and he has a great year. 2nd-3rd if otherwise. Look at Altshuller for Oshawa last year. Essentially Martin is in the same boat but with a better defence in front of him and Althsuller went in the 3rd round.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I agree, I think Spencer will go in the first three rounds, I think he has enough potential to crack the top 2 rounds but it will really depend on his play this season. As of right now I think Martin is the second best goalie in Canada. Although he didn't make the U18 I have him behind Fucale but in front of Comrie. In terms of draft its still extremely early and other goalies will definitely make a case. In the OHL look also at Nikita Serebryakov (Saginaw Spirit) , Alex Fotinos (Barrie) , & Michael Giguogvaz (Petes).

Old
09-17-2012, 04:53 PM
shello
@WShello9

Alright thanks a lot everyone! Going to be sure to check in again this season to see how he's doing, going to try to catch some games this year

Old
09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
superspitfan99

Looking forward to the season opener on Friday. Saw the Globe had a big article on the new owner. Hopefully his plan will succeed in the 3 years he's committed to, otherwise it seems that Mississauga may unfortunately lose their team.

The pressure will be on both the players and the coaching staff to perform as well as the back office to get the people in the seats. As GM and Coach, Boyd's got alot to prove this season. My prediction is that Mississauga may see a new coach next season or even sooner? Seeing what he did last season, which really wasn't much, I just don't think he's got what it's going to take to motivate and lead this team into the future.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
NHL Fanatic

Martin & Burnside named to the prelim NHL CS list

Spencer Martin (B)
Josh Burnside (C)

Old
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Torts

cant wait for friday

excited to get back the the Hersh and watch hockey!

wonder when they will put MacIntyre, Zottl and Venuto on the website

Old
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Contest to win 2 tickets to the home opener:
http://fanclub.sportsnet.ca/cjcl/mem...fles/index.jsp

You have to make a fan 590 account but it takes a second.

I entered then realized that the tickets are for the home opener, no way am I gonna be able to go to Toronto tomorrow early enough in the evening to pick them up then get back for the game. They really should've ran that a bit in advance.

Also can someone going to the game tomorrow do me a favour and check to the fan shop to see if they have Mississauga hockey cards in a pack or a set or whatever? Thanks

Last edited by Kloparren: 09-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
ORYX

I'll be in attendance this friday.

I'm a Rangers fan, will be my first trip to the Hersey Centre. There are a number of Rangers fans heading down, at least one fan bus, and as far as I know thus far, at the least 100 people who head down on their own according to the Rangers forum.

SHould be a dandy, and looking forward to seeing the unveiling of the new Steelhead name etc.

Has it been noted to show up early for any ceremony that takes place?

Old
09-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I'll be in attendance this friday.

I'm a Rangers fan, will be my first trip to the Hersey Centre. There are a number of Rangers fans heading down, at least one fan bus, and as far as I know thus far, at the least 100 people who head down on their own according to the Rangers forum.

SHould be a dandy, and looking forward to seeing the unveiling of the new Steelhead name etc.

Has it been noted to show up early for any ceremony that takes place?
Start a new tradition at the Hershey ala squids at the Joe! How about tossing a trout onto the ice to christen the new name? LOL

I still think it is a lame name.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Start a new tradition at the Hershey ala squids at the Joe! How about tossing a trout onto the ice to christen the new name? LOL

I still think it is a lame name.
i was fully thinking bout doing that.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:42 AM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i was fully thinking bout doing that.
Love the name of the team. As someone who grew up in Mississauga and spent a good chunk of my childhood at the credit river i could not think of a better name for the team. good start.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:15 AM
superspitfan99

Thought the game against Kitchener went well last night. 3,100 in attendance wasn't bad. We'll have to see when we don't have alot of opposing team fans in the stands though. The gameday staff need to do a bit more to pump up the crowd, but for a first game, everything went fairly smooth.

The 3-0 score really didn't reflect the game since it truly was a 1-0 game. D overall looked fairly solid, but I don't think Percy or DeMelo had stellar games. Diodati took on a guy 30lbs bigger to make a statement against a hit to McIntyre and got clocked, but he did the right thing.

Forwards worked hard but it's obvious there is work to be done there. Even Brace didn't look good, making rookie mistakes. I said it last year and I'll say it again, he is only as good as who he's playing with. My opinion - give him the trade he wants and wanted last year.

All in all, I think it was a good, entertaining game with lots of chances on both sides. Both goalies played fantastic, making some very big saves. Martin proved himself last night and if he stays consistent, will be a great asset to the team.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:02 AM
mapleleaf979

I thought Bobby McIntyre fit in well last night. He looked better than Bourne did. Bourne needs to get ALOT stronger. Spencer Martin is an Excellent goalie.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Torts

if Martin plays all season like he did last night, he's a first round pick

Old
09-22-2012, 04:41 PM
NHL Fanatic

Venuto & Zottl sent down to the Chargers

Old
09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Kloparren
Hth

The new rogers colour commentary guy is meh.

Martin was awesome outside of bad rebound control.

Fwds did hit the post at least twice but the shooting was weak outside of some nlue line slappets. They did manage to hem I Kitchener in the offensive zone multiple times so the puck posession was encouraging but shooting was poor. Percy looked like a 1st round pick at times, made some stupid giveaways at others.

Last edited by Kloparren: 09-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
great game today! we are definatly no push over!

scheifele who?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Few questions, is Boyd gonna trade for a scorer or two if the team keeps playing well? I'd think that Kerr wants a playoff spot in the first season even if it means a compromise in the near-future.

The tickets seem to be available now on ticketmaster, are the Steelheads covering the transactions fee because the prices listed there are a bit higher than on their website.

And does Burnside really weigh only 5'10 and 155 lbs or is that info from the website outdated?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Few questions, is Boyd gonna trade for a scorer or two if the team keeps playing well? I'd think that Kerr wants a playoff spot in the first season even if it means a compromise in the near-future.

The tickets seem to be available now on ticketmaster, are the Steelheads covering the transactions fee because the prices listed there are a bit higher than on their website.

And does Burnside really weigh only 5'10 and 155 lbs or is that info from the website outdated?
first dont think kerr can have that big of a say in the on ice product, he has to realize the youth of this team and know that it might be much better next or 2 years from now.

second, the steelheads pay the online transaction fees, dunno why they would be higher.

and third thats burnside's height and weight from last year i beleive. he has to be around 6' and 175 now

Old
09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

Burnside 5'11, 171 according to NHL Central Scouting

Old
09-24-2012, 11:10 PM
chewerjones

Went to both games this past weekend.

Martin stole the show on Friday, and if it werent for the PP goal, he would have had a shutout. Team didnt give him any scoring support.

Diodati did the right thing sticking up for Mcintryre, and lost the fight. I was very upset that Cord, or Carrick or Graves didnt take on Iafrate later on in the game to even the score.

Team looked average at best on Friday.

Sunday, I thought it was going to be a blow out after 5 minutes, but Boyd's team controlled themselves and played solid no nonsense hockey and outworked Barrie. I was impressed with the goal support they gave Teichman.

I believe that James Boyd has to trade for some playmakers, even if they are older players, as the young guys need to know how it feels to score alot of goals. The team they have now will have a hard time scoring alot of goals.

Brace has to stop chirping everybody on the other team, and just play the game.

Goaltending and defence are best parts of team, but will have difficulty when high end offensive teams come in to play them, such as London or Plymouth.

Overall good weekend. However service at Hershey Ctre seems to be worse than last year. Heard that new owner is cutting all costs and expenses and it shows. There was 3100 fans there on Friday and over 2000 of them were from Kitchener. On Sunday, I dont think there was more than 1000 people at the game, and 200 may have been there for Barrie. Truly an embarrassment for a Sunday afternoon, especially when AHL and NHL camps are in limbo.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Went to both games this past weekend.

Martin stole the show on Friday, and if it werent for the PP goal, he would have had a shutout. Team didnt give him any scoring support.

Diodati did the right thing sticking up for Mcintryre, and lost the fight. I was very upset that Cord, or Carrick or Graves didnt take on Iafrate later on in the game to even the score.

Team looked average at best on Friday.

Sunday, I thought it was going to be a blow out after 5 minutes, but Boyd's team controlled themselves and played solid no nonsense hockey and outworked Barrie. I was impressed with the goal support they gave Teichman.

I believe that James Boyd has to trade for some playmakers, even if they are older players, as the young guys need to know how it feels to score alot of goals. The team they have now will have a hard time scoring alot of goals.

Brace has to stop chirping everybody on the other team, and just play the game.

Goaltending and defence are best parts of team, but will have difficulty when high end offensive teams come in to play them, such as London or Plymouth.

Overall good weekend. However service at Hershey Ctre seems to be worse than last year. Heard that new owner is cutting all costs and expenses and it shows. There was 3100 fans there on Friday and over 2000 of them were from Kitchener. On Sunday, I dont think there was more than 1000 people at the game, and 200 may have been there for Barrie. Truly an embarrassment for a Sunday afternoon, especially when AHL and NHL camps are in limbo.
Couldn't agree more.

It's not that the front end isn't hard working because they are and that is what is helping right now. Although being first to the puck is great, once you get there, you need to be able to do something with it. He needs to find a front end leader and I don't think Brace is that guy.

Anybody notice that there are 8 93's on this team. Percy, DeMelo, Teichmann, Diodati, Kontos, Rasmussen, Harvey and Foy. What is Boyd going to do next year when he can only have 3? He's going to have to do something this year to set himself up for next?

Closed Thread