HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Rebuild

Old
09-20-2012, 12:13 PM
maryannshabs*

vCash: 500
Blame Gainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Timmins doesn't control which prospects get traded and which prospects get kept. He could provide advice but ultimately, the GM decides who to trade.

Would you be saying this if we kept McDonagh?
Don't blame Me for That one..Scott Gomez at $7.5 mil a year, to do Nothing, and We gave up the best player in that deal...Amazing how the NY Rangers accumulated all that salary cap space thanks to us in the Gomez trade, adding the likes of Gaborik, Richards and now Rick Nash over the last few years. If New York should win the Cup in a year or two, the Canadiens should at least get a video of the parade ..

maryannshabs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:17 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.
I was a little disappointed that neither of Gauthier's trade failures, Kaberle and Bourque weren't moved out, but it looks like Kaberle has some chance of sticking. Bourque? Gomez? These are guys that aren't part of the future. I like that the nucleus of Desharnais, Pacioretty, Subban and White who graduated together within the Habs are looking like long term Canadiens, whereas the core of Price, O'Byrne, Kostitstyn, Grabvoski, Lapierre, D'Agostini, and Chipchura got completely dismantled, save the franchise goalie, in part due to the drastic change in playing style Martin brought to the team, in part due to the lack of maturity among the players. I think Tinordi, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Leblanc, Beaulieu, Ellis, Collberg and Hudon will integrate into the team in the next few years. This year's team is a transition team. If the players on it fail to produce, it is conceivable the rebuild will begin sooner. I am of the opinion that minor-league experience in general contributes to the overall development of a team, especially in a market like Montreal, where there is nowhere to hide. Once the contracts of Markov, Kaberle, Gomez, Gionta and Bourque are off the books (2 years tops), and the youngsters are given time to mature, the rebuilt Habs will emerge, and the Gainey/Gauthier stamp will be less evident.

Last edited by voyageur: 09-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
maryannshabs*

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Indeed.

And, frankly, the route of 'blasting out all of its veterans' is a method reserved for fantasy leagues, IMO.
I agree with you there, and it's My fantasy to get rid of some of these players who finished Last in the Eastern Conference..

Old
09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryannshabs View Post
I agree with you there, and it's My fantasy to get rid of some of these players who finished Last in the Eastern Conference..
That's nice. I'm sure there's a fantasy forum around for you to discuss your fantasies.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:31 PM
WestIslander

I would trade:

Plekanec, Desharnais, Gomez, Bourque, Kaberle, Nokelainen, Bouillon and Markov

I would build around:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Cole (A)
Collberg - Eller - Gallagher
Moen - Leblanc - Gionta (C)
Prust - White - Armstrong

Gorges(A) - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin

Price

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would trade:

I would build around:

Gorges(A) - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin

Price
Are you ready to suck for at least 3-4 more years?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
maryannshabs*

Maryann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
this thread feels the same as watching re-runs of Gilligan's island
And Maryann was more popular than Ginger...Just like me, xxx

Old
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Mrb1p

By the time the so call rebuild is done price will be 30 and almost out of his prime, Patches and P.K. 28 and almost out of theyre prime 2.

The rebuild was done in 05-07. Now add to it.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
maryannshabs*

Gm's would have to be drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Are you ready to suck for at least 3-4 more years?
tO TRADE SOME OF tHOSE PLAYERS, and I use the term loosely, our GM would have to get another GM as drunk as Sather got Boob Gainey when he talked him into taking Scott Gomez ..I mean like a Fifth of Romulan Ale stuff.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
I would trade:

I would build around:

Gorges(A) - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin

Price
How do you think this is a solid environment for our young players to develop? They have no NHL talent to work with besides Cole, Gio, patches, gorges, subban and Eller who is still trying to figure out his own role in the NHL.

You can't throw them into the fire without an extinguisher... they'll just burn!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I would trade:

I would build around:

Gorges(A) - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin

Price
Question, why bother keeping Cole and Gionta then? That team is going to be awful with or without them, we'd already possibly ruin Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and Collberg by rushing them either way, and both Cole and Gionta will be finished by the time that team is anything beyond awful. If we want to go on a 3-5 year tank, might as well go all out.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:54 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
I would trade:

I would build around:

Gorges(A) - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin

Price

Ummm.. you trade all those players.. but no player in your lineup is from outside the system. Did we trade them for pucks? You realize it is very unrealistic to have that many developed players in our lineup.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:40 PM
DAChampion

I support a rebuild if the lockout ends, but if the season is cancelled I oppose a rebuild, I should consider writing a thread about it.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You must have a REALLY short memory. When Gainey came into this organization as a GM, the team was in a shambles. Their were issues in all departments, but the number one over riding issue is that the team lacked a legitimate steady hand at the wheel.

They could not get free agents. They could not make trades.

Gainey could be seen as having lacked a steady hand on the wheel in the later part of his time as a manager, but you also have to remember half way through his years, his daughter disappeared and was later confirmed lost at sea. His focus was off, he wanted to quit and was asked to stay. He did, and Gauthier was asked to play a larger role.

I do not think of the Gainey era as a homerun, but it beat the previous two regimes, without a shadow of a doubt.
Think of the Gomez deal as payback for the years with Kovalev,that's how I deal with that farce.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:45 PM
DrunkenHabz

Getting rid of Plekanec for a pick would be one of the worst moves ever, on par with the Gomez for McDonagh trade. Plekanec is extremely underrated. It's not because you have 3 great centremen (Pleks, DD and Eller) and a rising star in the making (Galchenyuk) that it means we got to get rid of some of them now. Let them fight for the top spot. Competition has never been a bad thing.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Getting rid of Plekanec for a pick would be one of the worst moves ever, on par with the Gomez for McDonagh trade. Plekanec is extremely underrated. It's not because you have 3 great centremen (Pleks, DD and Eller) and a rising star in the making (Galchenyuk) that it means we got to get rid of some of them now. Let them fight for the top spot. Competition has never been a bad thing.
It's better to sell an asset when it's high.

Think of what Philadelphia did. They had Giroux and Briere, so they traded Carter and Richards for Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, and Couturier in order to have a perennial contender.

They didn't wait until some of the players had played themselves out of a roster spot and declined in value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Think of the Gomez deal as payback for the years with Kovalev,that's how I deal with that farce.
That's a good way of looking at it for those of us who like what Kovalev brought to Montreal.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-21-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: merge
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:30 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I look at it this way: With McDo and say Koivu on the team last year, and not Gomer, we don't finish 3rd last, and we don't get Gally.

IE: It was Mcdo and Higgins for Gally.

Helps me sleep at night.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
...a trade for a spectacular Timmins pick, Halak.

You're right, Higgins was drafted by Savard, but it still goes to show that drafting has not been a problem for the Habs. Contrary to the OP's claim, Armstrong and Prust were not signed because of Montreal's inability to draft depth forwards.
It wouldn't have been feasible to retain Halak and Price and Gauthier decided to trade Halak. It was not a reflection on Timmins, who was the one one who spotted Halak after he was overlooked by other teams.

Timmins drafted a number of serviceable bottom six forwards. However, the Habs, like other teams, can't hold on to everyone indefinitely. Some third liners complain too much when they're not assigned to the top lines and become a distraction.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote