HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri's Role This Season

Old
09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Lebanese Leaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
This season? I suspect this season he will spend it with the marlies. Not because he can't make the NHL rather that I highly doubt there will be a season this year.
This.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
seanlinden

Hopefully the Leafs trade him before the season starts.

It's become painfully obvious that they're not facilitating his development, and there really isn't a spot to put him this year. Cash out on his value before it drops any more.

You look at guys who are much more important to the team's success, and there just isn't a spot for him. JvR, Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, and MacArthur are going to be the team's top 9 wingers. You've also got Connolly, Bozak, Grabovski, McClement and Steckel all at centre, meaning one will have to go to the wing. Add Matt Frattin & Carter Ashton to the mix as well.

Sure, guys get hurt, but he should have more value to another team.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:16 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Hopefully the Leafs trade him before the season starts.

It's become painfully obvious that they're not facilitating his development, and there really isn't a spot to put him this year. Cash out on his value before it drops any more.

You look at guys who are much more important to the team's success, and there just isn't a spot for him. JvR, Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, and MacArthur are going to be the team's top 9 wingers. You've also got Connolly, Bozak, Grabovski, McClement and Steckel all at centre, meaning one will have to go to the wing. Add Matt Frattin & Carter Ashton to the mix as well.

Sure, guys get hurt, but he should have more value to another team.
I wouldn't want him traded after training all summer with Roberts. Firstly he may beat MacArthur for his spot (although I do like MacArthur). Secondly, Connolly and Bozak are easily replaceable. I would put Kadri ahead of Frattin and Ashton. If anything, after this season his value will go up because I can see him having a huge improvement. What's great about Kadri too is that he can play any forward position.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:38 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I wouldn't want him traded after training all summer with Roberts. Firstly he may beat MacArthur for his spot (although I do like MacArthur). Secondly, Connolly and Bozak are easily replaceable. I would put Kadri ahead of Frattin and Ashton. If anything, after this season his value will go up because I can see him having a huge improvement. What's great about Kadri too is that he can play any forward position.
He may beat out MacArthur, but he probably won't... so unless you can do better by trading MacArthur, then Kadri's the odd man out.

Second, Connolly and Bozak are far from replacable. Mikhail Grabovski is just a terrible fit with Phil Kessel, and since neither of Bozak/Connolly are good enough to centre Kessel for the full year next year, they need both.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Alflives

[QUOTE=handyj;54443007]Just curious what people's thoughts are about where Kadri will be playing this season (if there is a season).

Vancouver (AHL - Chicago). He's trade bait to get the Leafs a goalie.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Kulemon

2nd line and 1st PP unit.

He's ready.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:41 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Bozak is a playmaker first and foremost, while Kadri much like Grabovski is a dangler that tries to beat people one on and stick-handle through the opposition, and better finishers themselves.

So you need a center that distributes the puck well, to play with Kessel and Lupul and at present that makes Bozak best suited for the position..

Kardi would be more suited to replace Grabovski as they're similar in style of play, and assume a 2nd line role.

Personally I'd like to see Kadri on the wing being centered by Joe Colborne and flanked by Matt Frattin on Leafs 3rd "kids" line when the season starts up again.
Kadri's best assets is his playmaking ability, passing the puck, and on ice vision. His dangling and shootouts are flashy, but he is more known for his creativity. He creates plays that some people might not see. Thats a good thing to have as a #1 centre.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Kadri would do best at the "End and Guard" position IMO.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:15 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Kadri's best assets is his playmaking ability, passing the puck, and on ice vision. His dangling and shootouts are flashy, but he is more known for his creativity. He creates plays that some people might not see. Thats a good thing to have as a #1 centre.
He's Connolly 2.0 really(creativity). They aren't the same obviously but the reason I said that is, if he maintains that attitude in the NHL he is going through the boards. Personally I think that's part of the reason they have held him back, he's pretty small and looks fragile at a glance. He's the kind of guy that will make some waves measure of success then will be pummeled and neutralized although he is pretty slippery at times.

I would expect no less than Grabovski caliber out of him when he gains focus and stops trying to be to pretty out there.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:57 AM
rdawg1234

Lupul-Bozak(ugh)-Kessel-other than the centre problem, great chemistry line.
Kadri-Grabo-JVR- Decent mix of skill and size.
Kulemin-Mcclement-Frattin(Macarthur until frattin comes back)-> I would love this line, huge and powerful/skilled.
Brown-Steckel-Komarov--> win faceoffs, fighting, pesty line.

Overall, I'm really happy with that kind of top 9.

the #1 C is a gaping hole but we still have a very solid offense otherwise.

Team is really shaping up. Defense is starting to look REALLY good.

starting next year I see:

Phaneuf-Rielly
Gardiner-Gunnar
Liles-???(shutdown guy)
Komi

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
It's become painfully obvious that they're not facilitating his development
Lol? Sending him to the AHL and telling him to improve his defensive game isn't "facilitating his development?"

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:21 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyj View Post
Just curious what people's thoughts are about where Kadri will be playing this season (if there is a season). I mainly ask because it seems like it's time for him to get his shot full time at an NHL job, as he's performed pretty well in the AHL for two years and when he's been called up.

I'm wondering what would happen if he was to play center on the top line with Kessel and Lupul. We all know that we need a 1C, maybe we have that 1C already within the organization. It isn't as if Bozak has done anything incredible to keep his spot on that line, and I'm sure worst-case scenario Kadri puts up Bozak-type numbers.

This would also mean that we wouldn't have to try and force JVR into being a centerman, and could use him on the second line with Grabo and Kulemin. It makes sense to me to try it out, and worst case scenario you atleast see what you have in Kadri. Only problem I could foresee with that line is how horrible defensively they would be.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - MacArthur
Brown - McClement - Lombardi

Something possibly like this. Thoughts?
Unless Lupul and Kessel are playing in the minors Kadri won't be centering them. Prepare for a long lockout. Players aren't signing in Europe for fun.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
handyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Unless Lupul and Kessel are playing in the minors Kadri won't be centering them. Prepare for a long lockout. Players aren't signing in Europe for fun.
OK, I should have specified "the next time there is hockey". We can speculate all we want about how long of a lockout there will be, I'm just looking for some constructive talk about where everyone thinks Kadri fits into this Leafs team when hockey is back on.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:54 PM
handyj

Quote:
He may beat out MacArthur, but he probably won't... so unless you can do better by trading MacArthur, then Kadri's the odd man out.

Second, Connolly and Bozak are far from replacable. Mikhail Grabovski is just a terrible fit with Phil Kessel, and since neither of Bozak/Connolly are good enough to centre Kessel for the full year next year, they need both.
I feel like MacArthur should be the odd man out. He's basically peaked out at 20 goals and I don't think Kadri would do any worse in a full season (I know sample size is small, but last season 5 goals in 20 games translates to about 20 goals full schedule). I know a lot of people like Mac but Bozak and him are the two weak links in our top six. I'd rather seem him dealt for whatever we can get futures-wise and give the kids a shot at that spot.

And your reasoning for needing Bozak and Connolly should be the reason why we want neither. If neither are good enough to center the top line then both of them aren't good enough either, unless we can somehow tape them together and make them into one player. If Kadri could get good minutes on the third line with guys like Frattin and Colborne then maybe Bozak has to stay centering the top line by default, but Connolly is useless, and as a fan I don't care how much they're paying him to sit out.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
birddog*

Quote:
OK, I should have specified "the next time there is hockey". We can speculate all we want about how long of a lockout there will be, I'm just looking for some constructive talk about where everyone thinks Kadri fits into this Leafs team when hockey is back on.
Next time there is hockey I would guess he starts on the wing and then if Carlyle develops a man crush we could see him move to center and get more ice. I still think in the long run the Leafs are looking for a big center that is capable defensively as well as able to play in the top 6. Kadri and Kessel just doesn't seem to offer enough bite to match up well against other teams top lines.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Well if we assume the Kessel line to be our top line and Grabo's line to be more of a shutdown #2 line, then I'd say 3rd "scoring" line. Likely have to compete with guys like Matt Frattin, Clarke MacArthur, Tim Connolly and Matthew Lombardi for a spot in that case. Promoted if he earns it.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Stu

Quote:

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Ideally he will and we use MacArthur as trade bait as he should have much more value as a top-6 winger. Looking to the future, given Kadri's skillset I would hope he would break our top-6 and MacArthur is the guy who seems most replaceable out of them all.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Wendelstache

His Role is not to fall over when someone breathes on him.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:01 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Lol? Sending him to the AHL and telling him to improve his defensive game isn't "facilitating his development?"
Not in the slightest. Kadri's got elite (or close to it) offensive upside. You don't develop a guy like that by sending him to the AHL to work on his defensive game, wasting prime development years. You develop a guy like that by sending him to the AHL so he can learn how to score goals and put up points against grown men (for some players, this step can be skipped), and do the same in NHL. Once he's learned to earn his keep in the NHL, you start worrying about fixing the holes in his game.

You don't facilitate a guy's development by changing the type of player that he is.

Quote:
I feel like MacArthur should be the odd man out. He's basically peaked out at 20 goals and I don't think Kadri would do any worse in a full season (I know sample size is small, but last season 5 goals in 20 games translates to about 20 goals full schedule). I know a lot of people like Mac but Bozak and him are the two weak links in our top six. I'd rather seem him dealt for whatever we can get futures-wise and give the kids a shot at that spot.

And your reasoning for needing Bozak and Connolly should be the reason why we want neither. If neither are good enough to center the top line then both of them aren't good enough either, unless we can somehow tape them together and make them into one player. If Kadri could get good minutes on the third line with guys like Frattin and Colborne then maybe Bozak has to stay centering the top line by default, but Connolly is useless, and as a fan I don't care how much they're paying him to sit out.
Whether a guy may have peaked or not isn't at all relevant to whether or not he's part of our best forward group. Mac's a proven 20-goal man in this league, Kadri's never even scored 20 in the AHL. Mac and Bozak are the weak links in our top 6, but you certainly don't fix weak links by making them weaker. Right now, Kadri's the inferior player.

I'm not saying we should want Bozak/Connolly... we should want an established #1 centre which we can rely on to put up 70+ points. I'm saying that in the absence of that, we need Bozak and Connolly. Connolly is our best playmaking centre, and when the Leafs finally decide that it's time their top line spends time in the offensive zone and stops relying entirely on the rush, Connolly may be a very valuable piece to have between JvR and Kessel. In the mean time, he delivers solid 3rd line play, and can be a damn good plan B to Bozak in the case of an injury.

The cap doesn't seem to be too much of a restriction in that regard.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
I agree and Id like to add let him play. Teach him to fix his mistakes behind closed doors. Coach the kid and PAT HIM ON THE BACK not RIP HIM PUBLICLY. Support the kid and show him he is part of the future if he earns it. Kadri has been put through hell by the big club. Thank god Dallas Eakins is a players coach or this kid could have been destroyed with negativity.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote