HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes Thread: Let's Do This 4 Real

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Anyone ever been, or know anyone that has been, to Alinea? It's in Lincoln Park, and has been voted the best restaurant in all of North America for a few years straight, and is without argument a top 10 restaurant in the world. Dying to buy tickets to there and use our engagement as an excuse to dish out that much cash for it.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
$500+ per person for dinner?

Pass.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
$500+ per person for dinner?

Pass.
We're both huge into food, obviously.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
What I'll do is stick with my date. Once I see a hot girl without a dance partner or one pissed off at their date, I'll try to improve their night. I'm not a tool, but I'm savy and smooth. It is not typical to dance with just one person anyway.
If this is the way you think... whatever helps you sleep at night. I know I wouldn't want any punk that thinks like this taking my daughter to prom.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:43 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

That said, it's entirely acceptable to be a horn dog with no morals at 18. That's kinda the time to do it. Just have no illusions about what it is you're doing.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
We're both huge into food, obviously.
Considering you can buy a mediocre car for the cost of the meal, no kidding.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:59 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I like food but would never spend that kind of money on it. 2 people could eat for a few months on that.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Considering you can buy a mediocre car for the cost of the meal, no kidding.
We've been looking for an excuse to go for a while now, and finally have one... We do a lot of underground dinner clubs and underground farmers markets by us. Definitely a once in a life time thing.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I can understand the cool factor in a place like that. Definitely too rich for my blood. Main thing is though, I'd expect to be stuffed after a meal like that. 7 courses, and not like where they take a plate, splatter a couple lines of sauce, throw two mushrooms on there and call it art, which would be my fear at a place like that.

***On the subject, I'm supposed to go to Frontera Grill for the first time, I think October 22. My girlfriend made reservations to take me about a month ago, jesus christ, place better be pretty freaking awesome. Anyone been there? Recommendations?

Old
09-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
If this is the way you think... whatever helps you sleep at night. I know I wouldn't want any punk that thinks like this taking my daughter to prom.
Prom is completely different, man. You do every single thing together. Period. Dates for homecoming usually split off for at least part of the dance. Not going to ditch the girl. I'll split off and come back and split off and come back. She, without a doubt, could easily do the same. I am far from a punk, player, tool, etc.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Cullksinikers

If I was a jerk and disrespected toward girls, I'd probably have a better chance with girls. Nice guys finish last.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

You're not going to ditch the girl, you're just going to try and sleep with someone hotter. Gotcha.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
You're not going to ditch the girl, you're just going to try and sleep with someone hotter. Gotcha.
No, I am going to spend some of the time at the dance with a hotter girl.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I can understand the cool factor in a place like that. Definitely too rich for my blood. Main thing is though, I'd expect to be stuffed after a meal like that. 7 courses, and not like where they take a plate, splatter a couple lines of sauce, throw two mushrooms on there and call it art, which would be my fear at a place like that.

***On the subject, I'm supposed to go to Frontera Grill for the first time, I think October 22. My girlfriend made reservations to take me about a month ago, jesus christ, place better be pretty freaking awesome. Anyone been there? Recommendations?
Frontera's delicious. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu, but I'm a big fan of their ceviche. Also their tacos al carbon, with any meat, are some of my favorite tacos in the world.

Making reservations was a bright idea. Without them, you're looking at a wait time of at least 90 minutes. More than once I've had to walk away from there when they told me the wait time was 2-3 hours.

Another cool thing is that -- if you're into celebrity chefs -- Rick Bayless is usually hanging around there, and it's pretty common for him to stop at tables and chill for a while. He's not dumb about it, he won't disturb you if you don't want him there, but if you do he's more than happy to stay and talk for a little bit.

Another great thing, it's great food that doesn't necessarily break the bank (though it can if you're not careful). That one's a shout out to RayP. I completely respect (and am extremely jealous) that you're going to Alinea, and you're right that you'll never have a better excuse to go, but god damn, I don't think my wallet would ever forgive me for eating there.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Frontera's delicious. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu, but I'm a big fan of their ceviche. Also their tacos al carbon, with any meat, are some of my favorite tacos in the world.

Making reservations was a bright idea. Without them, you're looking at a wait time of at least 90 minutes. More than once I've had to walk away from there when they told me the wait time was 2-3 hours.

Another cool thing is that -- if you're into celebrity chefs -- Rick Bayless is usually hanging around there, and it's pretty common for him to stop at tables and chill for a while. He's not dumb about it, he won't disturb you if you don't want him there, but if you do he's more than happy to stay and talk for a little bit.

Another great thing, it's great food that doesn't necessarily break the bank (though it can if you're not careful). That one's a shout out to RayP. I completely respect (and am extremely jealous) that you're going to Alinea, and you're right that you'll never have a better excuse to go, but god damn, I don't think my wallet would ever forgive me for eating there.
Hah... Rick Bayless is an awesome guy. Have you been to his XOCO restaurant? It's Mexican street food inspired.

Hah, we're doing pretty damn well $$$ wise right now, so that certainly lessens the blow... but yeah, the price is absolutely insane. Even without the wine pairings, you're looking at close to $300 with tip.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Frontera is awesome but if you think thats expensive you should see his prices at Topolobompo. My advice is you are going to pay a lot so just order whatever the hell you want and don't worry about the money....enjoy yourself.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Cullksinikers

If you can afford to do it, want to do it, feel it's worth it, get more than enough food, and it makes you happy, then go have yourselves a luxurious meal.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:57 PM
coldsteelonice84

Ray, what do you guys do?

Old
09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Hah... Rick Bayless is an awesome guy. Have you been to his XOCO restaurant? It's Mexican street food inspired.

Hah, we're doing pretty damn well $$$ wise right now, so that certainly lessens the blow... but yeah, the price is absolutely insane. Even without the wine pairings, you're looking at close to $300 with tip.
I love XOCO and go there more often than Frontera. It's less crowded, and it's way cheaper.

The best restaurants can of course be tough on the wallet, but for a place like Alinea, it's probably worth it.

I'll have a clearer opinion of the place once I can actually afford to go there.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:

I love to eat, and I love cooking, but I'm no foodie. There's a pretty huge difference between a $300 tab - which I've paid - and a $500 plate. For 3-4 hundred, I'd absolutely go for it if that's what you're into. You'd spend at least half that going to a Hawks game, and it's looking like that won't be a problem this year.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
No, I am going to spend some of the time at the dance with a hotter girl.
I'm honestly not trying to roast you for this. But if you're going to go with the intent to hit on/get with other girls, just go stag. You have no idea what's in the poor girls head, and they tend to be insane, especially as teenagers.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
RayP

Quote:
Ray, what do you guys do?
Uh, I do nothing right now. I was into accounting, but am getting out of that. She bartends while she is getting her degree. Might not sound like much, but the money for her is insane. Hell, she can walk home with $300-400 cash on a weekday day bar shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I love XOCO and go there more often than Frontera. It's less crowded, and it's way cheaper.

The best restaurants can of course be tough on the wallet, but for a place like Alinea, it's probably worth it.

I'll have a clearer opinion of the place once I can actually afford to go there.
Never been to XOCO, but the menu appeals to me much more than Frontera.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
RayP

Quote:
I'm honestly not trying to roast you for this. But if you're going to go with the intent to hit on/get with other girls, just go stag. You have no idea what's in the poor girls head, and they tend to be insane, especially as teenagers.
Pretty much exactly what I said a page or two back. Now that I think of my sister, who is in HS... if a guy did that to her, and she was upset, I'd probably offer to kick the **** out of him.

Quote:
I love to eat, and I love cooking, but I'm no foodie. There's a pretty huge difference between a $300 tab - which I've paid - and a $500 plate. For 3-4 hundred, I'd absolutely go for it if that's what you're into. You'd spend at least half that going to a Hawks game, and it's looking like that won't be a problem this year.
We are definite foodies (God I hate that term, but it's the only thing that fits). Hell, while we were in Italy most of the things we did were based on food rather than the museums. Me personally, I'd rather spend a ton on an experience like this than going to a Hawks game... and just watch the game on TV. However, food and the industry are more important to me and the family, than hockey. Gasp!

Old
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Uh, I do nothing right now. I was into accounting, but am getting out of that. She bartends while she is getting her degree. Might not sound like much, but the money for her is insane. Hell, she can walk home with $300-400 cash on a weekday day bar shift.

Never been to XOCO, but the menu appeals to me much more than Frontera.
This means she's attractive and works at a bar in/around downtown or in a trendy area. I know how that goes, have a few friends who do the same and the money they pull in is insane.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
coldsteelonice84

Sounds like Frontera will be awesome, thanks for the info, glad we have reservations, I don't have the patience for 90 minutes wait, I'd want to go home and come back

Closed Thread