HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer & the lockout situation

Old
09-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Myke

vCash: 500
James Reimer & the lockout situation

Wasn't sure where to post this and couldn't find it but is James Reimer playing anywhere so far during the lockout?

We have Scrivens staying sharp with the Marlies but it would be nice if Reimer was playing somewhere to get his confidence back after such a weak season. I know he will be training but training and playing are two very different things, he needs to be out there getting his game back and getting his confidence back. I think if all he is doing is practicing and scrimmaging then we will have Scrivens beat him out for the starting role once we return.

Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:04 AM
caribouPINE

FYI- Scrivens was not sent down to the Marlies.

Pretty much 98% of NHL regulars aren't playing anywhere else yet.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:06 AM
mooseOAK*

Just learned that Scrivens is with the Marlies.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Just learned that Scrivens is with the Marlies.
I think players on 2way deals who played in the AHL last year were allowed to sign separate AHL deals so they wouldn't have to clear waivers. I wonder if that's what happened with Scrivens.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
dfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
I think players on 2way deals who played in the AHL last year were allowed to sign separate AHL deals so they wouldn't have to clear waivers. I wonder if that's what happened with Scrivens.
I'd say. Same for Eddie Lack in Vancouver I think

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I wonder if Reimer would consider going to Europe so he can be in game shape whenever the NHL does return.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
PasDaSquini

First off Scrivens will not be playing in the AHL, it was touched on last week when Gardnier,Frattin and Kadri were sent down. It was thought that if the season was to resume at a half way mark that Scrivens upon being called up would be claimed on waivers and the leafs did not want to risk that.

As for Reimer I think the lockout would be better for him. A year off will make an improvement for the guy. We have seen that he is not a Wellwood in the terms of the fitness department so he would still be in shape. I think Reimer needs to tweak his game so he does nto relay on reaction to make saves all the time. If Reimer incorporates some techinque with his athletic reaction based style he would be scary.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Myke

I guess I was misinformed about Scrivens, I had thought for sure he would be with the Marlies this year and would not have to clear waivers when (if) the season began.

I don't know if Reimer has reached out to any European teams but I think playing in Europe would be beneficial for him. I am certain with his work ethic he will stay fit but as mentioned I think there is difference between working out and scrimmaging compared to actual game experience.

Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
I'd say. Same for Eddie Lack in Vancouver I think
Lack wouldn't have needed to clear waivers under normal circumstances, he still has two seasons left.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
darty

A guest on the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast (can't remember who, but a goalie guy) said that most NHL goalies don't go overseas because they find the angles are all different on the larger ice and they tend to develop bad habits or ones not beneficial to the NHL game. Also said they avoid summer leagues for the bad habits reason as well.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Ari91

I had initially assumed that Reimer and Scrivens would be assigned to the Marlies in case of a lockout but both were talking about their plans in case of a lockout and neither mentioned the Marlies. Then the Leafs announced which players were assigned to the AHL and neither name was there. I then realized that it's possible that assigning them to the Marlies might create a situation regarding waivers.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
Gardnier,Frattin and Kadri
I was under the impression that he was not, due to his injury.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Apparently St.Croix is going to be working with him next week.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:50 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I had initially assumed that Reimer and Scrivens would be assigned to the Marlies in case of a lockout but both were talking about their plans in case of a lockout and neither mentioned the Marlies. Then the Leafs announced which players were assigned to the AHL and neither name was there. I then realized that it's possible that assigning them to the Marlies might create a situation regarding waivers.
Scrivens / Reimer are free to sign with any AHL team they want. Their NHL contracts, and the rights given to the teams by the CBA are all null & void during a lockout.

That being said, both the NHL & PA likely don't want players / teams new AHL contracts, especially if they're owned by the parent NHL team. It's sort of circumventing the lockout.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote