HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player by Player Look at the Blue Jackets

Old
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Interesting observation. Most things I read about Savard suggest his skating needs work.
I don't like those suggestions. He has a low center of gravity, so his skating doesn't "look right" ... he gets where he needs to go just fine.

One guy I always like to waive in people's faces is Emerson Etem, the Anaheim Ducks first rounder. Everyone mentioned his awful skating heading into the draft ... last year with Medicine Hat, he scored 61 goals in 65 games, mostly because of his BLAZING SPEED!

Just because they skate "oddly", doesn't mean they are slow ... too many scouts weigh too heavily on that.

I'll write up any other player in the system if requested. Otherwise, enjoy the reads!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I don't like those suggestions. He has a low center of gravity, so his skating doesn't "look right" ... he gets where he needs to go just fine.

One guy I always like to waive in people's faces is Emerson Etem, the Anaheim Ducks first rounder. Everyone mentioned his awful skating heading into the draft ... last year with Medicine Hat, he scored 61 goals in 65 games, mostly because of his BLAZING SPEED!

Just because they skate "oddly", doesn't mean they are slow ... too many scouts weigh too heavily on that.

I'll write up any other player in the system if requested. Otherwise, enjoy the reads!
Thanks for your explanation. Its kind of like how Dylan or Springsteen would never had made it past the judges on American Idol.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Thanks for your explanation. Its kind of like how Dylan or Springsteen would never had made it past the judges on American Idol.
This is correct. Though, American Idol is a trash show and anyone who watches it should have to openly admit to being sheep. Yes, I said it.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:31 AM
EspenK

Quote:
This is correct. Though, American Idol is a trash show and anyone who watches it should have to openly admit to being sheep. Yes, I said it.
Don't watch it anymore. That being said, I and Mike Fisher will be forever grateful for the show.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Savard appropriately does the Savardian spin-o-rama every now and then as well. And as you noted, he does looks clunky, but it gets the job done. Still could work on being quicker.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Byrral

Thanks for the write-ups SL. Much better than reading all of the lockout nonsense. Good stuff.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Thanks for the write-ups SL. Much better than reading all of the lockout nonsense. Good stuff.
That was my goal all along, glad you enjoyed!

Old
09-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Very nice work. Thanks much.

Let's just hope we get to see how close you come this year.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
You did all the D-Men except Tyutin?

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
You did all the D-Men except Tyutin?
Post #42.

Quote:
Nobody even noticed (including me) that I missed Fedor Tyutin Shows how much attention this thread is getting

Defenseman
Fedor Tyutin
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 188
How Acquired: Trade with NY Rangers (along with Christian Backman, in exchange for Dan Fritsche and Nikolai Zherdev) July 2nd, 2008

Analysis: Another former NY Ranger on the roster, Tyutin has turned into a serviceable top-4 defender with the Jackets, and is the only remaining player from that four player trade to remain in the NHL. After being selected 40th overall in 2001 by the Rags, Tyutin would do some traveling leading into his NHL debut in the 2003-04 season; spending time in the OHL, AHL, and two different teams in the old RSL. Tyutin would join the Rangers full-time in 2005-06, and has since gone on to play 558 NHL games, totalling 42 goals and 185 points in that time. Tyutin is a well-rounded defender that plays well in all three zones. He makes a good first pass, has an underrated shot, and solid positioning in the defensive zone.

Pros: Big shot, size, skating
Cons: Lacks physical play, still makes glaring mistakes

Realistic Expectations: For the first time since joining the Jackets, I think Tyutin can head into this year with a proper role on the team's second defense pair. There is no longer the pressure for him to face the opposition's top forwards on a nightly basis, a role which he is likely not capable of handling. He was excellent alongside Nikita Nikitin last year, and the two should provide the Jackets with steady depth on the blueline. Expect him to play on the second powerplay and penalty kill units, and roughly 20-25 minutes a night overall. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor excel in this role and have a career year across the board.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

This is some great stuff! Just caught up with it all. Great job

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote